Please TIP, for goodness sake.

Punkrockbebop

Namaste! Be excellent to each other.
I didn’t know where to post this as it spans a few topics, so I’m putting it here. I hope it’s an ok place for it.

My BF and a friend of ours are staying at the Riviera for the first time and we LOVE it. It’s a splurgy celebratory trip for us, and we know how pricey it is to stay here, even for DVC members. However, upon arrival, we noticed that nobody getting off the Magical Express (except us) tipped the driver. There were large families with huge amounts of luggage being helped with their bags, and they were from different places in the US, so it wasn’t an issue of not knowing the customs here. We have stayed at many other resorts and noticed a similar pattern as well, and with different service people like Bell services, etc. I can only imagine that Mousekeeping gets regularly shafted, as well.

I mean, I know Disney is pricey, and this is a particularly pricey resort, and Disney makes every part of the experience so seamless you can check your brain at home, but come on. Tipping is common courtesy and demonstrates respect for your fellow working man. We kind of feel it’s something one should do ESPECIALLY in the case that we are so privileged as to be able to afford such an expensive vacation. So we tip anyone who touches our luggage, brings something to our room, we tip every day the room is serviced (including towel & garbage day), and of course every bartender and waiter or waitress. These people work hard for a living. And if you are unsure how much, there are online charts you can look up. It’s the classy thing to do.

I didn’t know where to post this as it spans a few topics, so I’m putting it here. I hope it’s an ok place for it.

My BF and a friend of ours are staying at the Riviera for the first time and we LOVE it. It’s a splurgy celebratory trip for us, and we know how pricey it is to stay here, even for DVC members. However, upon arrival, we noticed that nobody getting off the Magical Express (except us) tipped the driver. There were large families with huge amounts of luggage being helped with their bags, and they were from different places in the US, so it wasn’t an issue of not knowing the customs here. We have stayed at many other resorts and noticed a similar pattern as well, and with different service people like Bell services, etc. I can only imagine that Mousekeeping gets regularly shafted, as well.

I mean, I know Disney is pricey, and this is a particularly pricey resort, and Disney makes every part of the experience so seamless you can check your brain at home, but come on. Tipping is common courtesy and demonstrates respect for your fellow working man. We kind of feel it’s something one should do ESPECIALLY in the case that we are so privileged as to be able to afford such an expensive vacation. So we tip anyone who touches our luggage, brings something to our room, we tip every day the room is serviced (including towel & garbage day), and of course every bartender and waiter or waitress. These people work hard for a living. And if you are unsure how much, there are online charts you can look up. It’s the classy thing to do.
AMEN!!!!

that's nice and good for you. i also tip the guys who drive and handle the luggage. i totally get it.

at the same time, don't be that guy who lets people's choice to tip/not tip bug you. it's your move, do it if you want. grandstanding isn't a good look either. just my $.02

that's nice and good for you. i also tip the guys who drive and handle the luggage. i totally get it.

at the same time, don't be that guy who lets people's choice to tip/not tip bug you. it's your move, do it if you want. grandstanding isn't a good look either. just my $.02

Please tell me how I could have said it better, because grandstanding is not my intention. I am just trying to express the importance of showing appreciation.

Please tell me how I could have said it better, because grandstanding is not my intention. I am just trying to express the importance of showing appreciation.
all i'm trying to say is, don't let other people's choices bug you, especially something preferred/recommended but not required. it's nice to tip, but if somebody else doesn't, it doesn't effect me

all i'm trying to say is, don't let other people's choices bug you, especially something preferred/recommended but not required. it's nice to tip, but if somebody else doesn't, it doesn't effect me

I do understand what you are saying. Although I really just said we noticed, and was commenting on what we noticed. I don’t see where grandstanding or being upset comes into what I posted.

Okay, here’s the truth of it. I’ve delivered pizzas part time for 30+ years. People that receive good service and choose not to tip are simply ignorant or rude. Do I let it ruin my day? Generally no. But they are ignorant or rude nonetheless. There are various tactful ways I have found over the years to “modify” poor behavior. Folks that can’t afford to tip have options like doing a cheaper carry out option. Folks that continually demonstrate poor behavior to anyone in food service particularly are foolish to do it as these people are handling food you will eat. Now, there are situations where poor service does not justify a tip.

When I am out, I always look at my interactions with those performing a service as a one time opportunity to make their day. I have taken out a $20 and given it to a server for a $30 bill. I tip the bartender at the local watering hole to the point where I just wave a hand and my drink appears. I especially tip Mousekeeping and Magical Express. I’ve even gone out of my way to thank those cleaning a restroom in the parks.

If you can’t afford to tip the pizza delivery guy, you should be getting frozen pizza at the grocery store - your food dollar will go further. Likewise, if you can’t afford to tip at Disney, maybe you are staying in accomodations that are out of your budget. Being able to tip while on vacation should be part of your budgeting process. I would wager a guess that most of those folks that don’t tip while at Disney are once in a lifers that will actually not enjoy themselves much. They’ll complain about the cost and crowds. They will try to go open to close in the parks for 4 days straight to get the most for their money. They will never “get” the Magic. All they will have is frustration, exhaustion, and sore feet. Then, they’ll go home less than satisfied — but they’ll probably tell everyone how much fun they had even though secretly they had a terrible time but would never admit that to their peers after splurging on a vacation that broke their vacation budget for three years.

My .02 cents

ok, I'm just going to throw this out there because sometimes I notice the same thing on the Magical Express. I think there may be folks out there who don't even know they should tip someone for helping with their bags. Is this maybe possible? or do they know and just decide, nope I'm not going to? Or is it maybe an old school thing and people just don't tip for bag handling anymore? It's funny when we go to the airport and bring our bags inside to the airline ticketing agent - DH does not tip the airline ticket agents checking bags. ( to be fair , I don't see anyone else do that either) Yet when we check our bags curbside he always tips the folks working outside. I think I asked once and he said something about being independent versus working directly for the airlines - but always wondered about. Had I not been traveling with my husband I would not have known there was any difference and maybe that is shame on me... just a thought..

As for not tipping your pizza delivery person, I just don't know what to say about that other than I hope it was a young baby sitter or kid who didn't know better. I think most mature adults understand that food deliveries to your home warrants tipping, unless of course you received your food hours later.... :confused3

ok, I'm just going to throw this out there because sometimes I notice the same thing on the Magical Express. I think there may be folks out there who don't even know they should tip someone for helping with their bags. Is this maybe possible? or do they know and just decide, nope I'm not going to? Or is it maybe an old school thing and people just don't tip for bag handling anymore?

I think there's also a generational/culture shift element to it in two ways (and I say this as a younger-ish adult):
1) Unlike other services, like delivery or driving, which are commonplace and therefore people know you need to tip, baggage handling is not something that a person experiences/deals with on a regular basis anymore. Think about it - if you're checking into most hotels in the US that aren't part of the Disney experience, how often does someone help with bags? It's not something people are used to thinking about and remembering to tip for.
2) Also, I can't remember the last time I carried cash. A few weeks ago, when the topic came up among my friends at dinner, not one of us had a dollar (or twenty, or any denomination of paper money) in our wallets, pockets, or bags. When we take Lyft/Uber/a cab or get delivery or eat out, you can do the tip on card or by electronic means, so unlike my parents (who always have at least some cash in their wallets, usually making sure some of it is in small bills, particularly when they travel), it doesn't occur to a lot of people now to keep small cash on them in case you need to tip someone. Particularly on vacation, and especially to Disney where you plan on using either card or your magic band to pay for everything, it wouldn't be first on a lot of people's minds...until you get on the bus and realize it but can't exactly create an ATM out of thin air, or hold up the driver to ask them to wait while you go pull out money somewhere.

I think there's also a generational/culture shift element to it in two ways (and I say this as a younger-ish adult):
1) Unlike other services, like delivery or driving, which are commonplace and therefore people know you need to tip, baggage handling is not something that a person experiences/deals with on a regular basis anymore. Think about it - if you're checking into most hotels in the US that aren't part of the Disney experience, how often does someone help with bags? It's not something people are used to thinking about and remembering to tip for.
2) Also, I can't remember the last time I carried cash. A few weeks ago, when the topic came up among my friends at dinner, not one of us had a dollar (or twenty, or any denomination of paper money) in our wallets, pockets, or bags. When we take Lyft/Uber/a cab or get delivery or eat out, you can do the tip on card or by electronic means, so unlike my parents (who always have at least some cash in their wallets, usually making sure some of it is in small bills, particularly when they travel), it doesn't occur to a lot of people now to keep small cash on them in case you need to tip someone. Particularly on vacation, and especially to Disney where you plan on using either card or your magic band to pay for everything, it wouldn't be first on a lot of people's minds...until you get on the bus and realize it but can't exactly create an ATM out of thin air, or hold up the driver to ask them to wait while you go pull out money somewhere.
Definitely an issue regarding younger people not carrying cash. My twentysomething son is more than happy to add a tip on the credit card line in a bar or restaurant, and to tip on the app for things like Uber, but it just never occurs to him to carry cash for anything. When we met him at Aulani and he arrived before us and had some luggage sent up, I needed to ask him to make a note of the bellman's name so I could tip him in cash when we arrived a couple of hours later.

Grandstanding - seek to attract applause or favorable attention from spectators or the media.

I don't think OP was looking for us to tell them how great they are. I think OP was basically trying to find a nice way to tell people to quit being so cheap. ;)

I think the word we’re looking for is virtue signaling:

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue

I totally get your point. I can see it happening. For me, part of planning for a trip is keeping cash on me - $1,$5,10,& $20 denominations. Maybe I have sort of treatable disorder that causes me to endeavor to be less selfish than the typical traveler. Maybe I have been exposed to enough of the “ignorant or rude” ( to quote myself ) and because of that I strive to not let that happen to anyone that helps me out.

And maybe, just maybe some of those folks will read this thread and modify their behavior.

The last time I went to Disney I was the ONLY person, coming or going, who tipped the Magical Express driver at my resort. I’m talking 20+ people who had their luggage handled both times.

That is just insane to me. And at Port Orleans no less. It’s not like it’s the Super 8 or something.

That’s happened more than once on my rides too where I’ve been the only one who tipped the driver. I was shocked when one other guest did so on my last trip when we were dropped off at BC.

I tip generously and always have—my grandmother was a hotel maid. Tips put food on the table for my mom, aunts and uncle when they were growing up. I always had it instilled in me to tip because of that. I also worked in tipped positions when I was younger. So I know what it’s like to rely on them. I’m one of those millennials who never carry cash but I make sure to take some out as part of my packing/trip prep specifically for tipping.

Also, I can't remember the last time I carried cash. A few weeks ago, when the topic came up among my friends at dinner, not one of us had a dollar (or twenty, or any denomination of paper money) in our wallets, pockets, or bags. When we take Lyft/Uber/a cab or get delivery or eat out, you can do the tip on card or by electronic means,

yes! Sadly, this is me too. poor DH, if he doesn't break large bills before we travel he knows he'll have to run around trying to find someplace to break them as he can't count on me and my lack of cash on hand for any tip money. It would be great if the ME drivers had their Venmo posted somewhere in the bus - then everyone could break out their phones and tip that way! :stitch2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter