Please TIP, for goodness sake.

I tip anyone who handles my bags. But we drive and don't typically utilize bell services at our resort.

Re: Thread Title

261258-20.jpg

Let's also explain why we tip servers and not necessarily other staff. Wait staff are the only people who are paid differently. Their wages are probably a few bucks an hour. Like maybe 2.00 or even less some places. Their wages are counted in their pay. They are taxed on how much WE SHOULD be tipping, that is why there is a standard. So if the standard is 15 percent. At the end of the day they total what customers bought, be it a soda or a steak, and the total of the bill the government assumes the customer paid for that meal and didn't dine and dash, and they are taxed on that too. So if you don't tip a wait staff, you are cutting into their own pocket money, if you over tipped, that is also great, they got an increase. But these are the only people who are not paid a standard wage. The buses and pages and all those other people we tip at Disney are paid a fair wage, and yes tipping is not necessary but it is nice. And again they may have a policy that they have to pool their money. I do know that whenever I brought treats for anybody at the front desk the standard reaction was always that they would put it in the break room for all to enjoy. So it may be nice to actually know the rules, because since Mears does the Express and they are not technically disney and they are contractors they may be able to keep their tips, where as others might have to give their tips to the break room. Thank you.

I rarely carry cash in my day-to-day life, but when I'm going to WDW or on any trip, I always go to the bank beforehand and get cash for tipping. It's just part of trip preparation.

BTW, I have seen other people with bags stored underneath the bus tip the ME driver.

Someone upthread mentioned getting Target gift cards to use as tips on their next trip. That may seem like a good tip, but to the person receiving it, it might not seem that way. For example, if they never shop at Target.

In the world of tipping, cash is king. It's not that big a deal to take cash on vacation with you. Even if, as another poster said, they don't have a wallet. The bank will give you a cash envelope. Keep the cash in your room safe and take out only the amount you're going to use that day. Easy.

I'm not signaling any virtue here. I'm just making suggestions, perhaps for someone who hasn't thought of this. I used to tip housekeeping only on the day I checked out until I read on the DIS that tipping every day was better, since you could have different housekeepers on different days.

Again would be nice to know their policy, if they do collect them all and add to break room, would be great to know. And easier. If everybody at the hotel does have a policy where all tips are communial and things are bought for break room. Would help a lot for those of us tipping.

By the way, I wish that hotels would provide the option at check-in to add tips for the maid onto the room bill. Then it would be one less thing to think about and I wouldn’t need to worry about having the correct cash on hand.

I agree with this ... reminds me of even at things like Starbucks - if I go into the store and pay with a card there isn't an option to leave a tip and if I don't have cash I can't leave a tip .... but if you mobile order there is the option to tip

As far as DME tipping is concerned...
While the driver wouldn't mind a token tip from everyone, I don't think they're sweating not getting tipped by 'easy' passengers. If they are handling your sizable luggage then 100% you should try to tip, even if it's just a couple bucks.

It doesn't need to be a major tip. They'll totally appreciate $2 or $3 for say 1 check-in bag & 1 carry-on. Two check-ins maybe $5, especially if you also have smaller item(s) too. If your party has 4 check-ins and other misc smaller bags or strollers etc, $10 would be swell but even $5 would be a worthwhile tip.

If most people were willing to spare a couple dollars toward their luggage, collectively the worker would do ok getting smaller tips. Since only a select few are tipping, those who do tip end up needing to compensate for others not giving anything.

Why tip? Heavy luggage mostly. Day in day out heaving heavy luggage with a smile isn't easy and we all know hourly wages are not the best. The worker's not going to get rich on a small tips here and there but it will make their quality of life much better so they can keep smiling when you arrive :earsboy:

I didn’t know where to post this as it spans a few topics, so I’m putting it here. I hope it’s an ok place for it.

My BF and a friend of ours are staying at the Riviera for the first time and we LOVE it. It’s a splurgy celebratory trip for us, and we know how pricey it is to stay here, even for DVC members. However, upon arrival, we noticed that nobody getting off the Magical Express (except us) tipped the driver. There were large families with huge amounts of luggage being helped with their bags, and they were from different places in the US, so it wasn’t an issue of not knowing the customs here. We have stayed at many other resorts and noticed a similar pattern as well, and with different service people like Bell services, etc. I can only imagine that Mousekeeping gets regularly shafted, as well.

I mean, I know Disney is pricey, and this is a particularly pricey resort, and Disney makes every part of the experience so seamless you can check your brain at home, but come on. Tipping is common courtesy and demonstrates respect for your fellow working man. We kind of feel it’s something one should do ESPECIALLY in the case that we are so privileged as to be able to afford such an expensive vacation. So we tip anyone who touches our luggage, brings something to our room, we tip every day the room is serviced (including towel & garbage day), and of course every bartender and waiter or waitress. These people work hard for a living. And if you are unsure how much, there are online charts you can look up. It’s the classy thing to do.

Agreed. My family tends to stay at the value resorts and even then we notice anyone rarely tips the driver. We always tip. Since I was 16 and had to work in a tipping job, I came to the conclusion that if you can't tip the employee, then that means you cannot just order the service. You must save enough money to purchase the service and pay gratuity. It bugs me to this day and now that I'm in my 20s, I find my friends still doing it.

i don't see this POV either.

it's a tip. it's basically a gift. if it's a starbucks gift card or something, that's that. it is what it is. who are we to tell people what to issue as a tip.

Sorry, it’s implied that a tip is cash. Not candy, baked goods, greeting cards or gift cards to another place.

If you went to a restaurant and cleaned out your wallet for leftover gift cards to somewhere else and left that as a tip, it would be just as egregious.

Let's not forget why we tip. We tip when we see a job well done and a thank you. That is why when we tip a server 15 percent, its like you got me my food, thank you, When you tip more that is a thank you for a job well done.

We tip the people who clean our room, if we get our room cleaned as a thank you. When people help us with our bags, large ones that go under, it doesn't hurt to show your appreciation. But again, that is in their job description or there would be chaos with everybody clamoring under the carriage of the bus to get their bags, not to mention a recipe for disaster. So if you have cash in your pocket and feel inclined. That is great, but a thank you should be enough as their retrieving your bag is part of their job, but not if it weighs fifty pounds.

Sorry, it’s implied that a tip is cash. Not candy, baked goods, greeting cards or gift cards to another place.

If you went to a restaurant and cleaned out your wallet for leftover gift cards to somewhere else and left that as a tip, it would be just as egregious.
The only exception for us is our mail carrier, because I have read that the Post Office does not allow employees to accept cash tips, but does permit gift cards. We give our mail carrier a gift card each Christmas and she always seems very happy.

Whenever there is a tipping thread on the internet, people over think every aspect of it and try to change society for the better.

It doesn't take much to make people happy. I only carry cash on me when I go to Disney so I can toss a fiver at people for giving me a hand. I really don't think of things more than that.

I see that, now. Lol. I wasn’t even directing it to anyone in particular,
The DIS boards has its share of people who LOVE to poke at others. No matter what your intention they will hit YOU personally.

But as you can see, there are many of us who share your point of view. I am almost always the only person who tips the DME driver (and I never carry bags). I always leave a tip for housekeeping even when I opt out. On my last day in The World I always drop my back-pack at Bell Service for a few hours in the park - I never see anyone tipping them. I, too, am surprised that people don't generally tip in WDW. I'm not surprised you got attacked for mentioning it.

I hope people are aware that tipping is primarily an american thing. It is FAR less common in Europe. In some cultures tipping is considered excessive. I am not saying its right to tip or wrong not to.
However, when a place, such as WDW, draws so many international travelers, relies on tip giving, it is going to be problematic.

Whenever there is a tipping thread on the internet, people over think every aspect of it and try to change society for the better.

It doesn't take much to make people happy. I only carry cash on me when I go to Disney so I can toss a fiver at people for giving me a hand. I really don't think of things more than that.

yeah, i agree - other than for dining where in the U.S. tipping is expected - just have some extra cash for people that help you out ... if you miss someone it's not the end of the world

I do think with the number of international guests that WDW gets or just people maybe not used to traveling, it is good to highlight that there are people you might want to tip that you might not think about if you don't know

I thought it was the first differently categorized DVC. Isn't that reflected in the point cost and resale restrictions?
DRR is the "Grand Floridian of EPCOT"
All DVC resorts are classified Deluxe. DRR is expensive both in terms of price per point (but that keeps going up and was expected) and it is also a rather point hungry resort. Its closest DVC counterpart is the Villas at The Grand Floridian.
Had you bought enough points for 1 week per year there (VGF) when it opened, its right in line with buying enough points for one week at DRR (adjusted for inflation)

The resale restrictions have nothing to do with the "Level" of the resort. Disney is finding new ways to encourage people to buy Directly from them as opposed to resale.

I sometimes have to remind my husband to tip. It's not that he doesn't want to, sometimes with kids and everything else, he forgets. I can see how some might intend to tip, but forget at the last minute. If you forget to bring cash, well you can't tip. If you do, then great. This thread is a great reminder to appreciate the people that make your vacation run smoothly.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter