Pleasure Island Nightlife for kids 9 & 13

Mehudicka

YOU make the magic in others' lives everyday!
Hi, in the past we have always avoided Pleasure Island because we had kids, but now that the kids are older -- 9 & 13 -- we thought we would go there one evening. We will be there from 8/26-9/2.

What do you recommend? What would they like?

Do they still celebrate New Year's Eve every night, and at what time?

Would you eat there for dinner? Which restaurant?

Thanks, all!
MEHudicka:Pinkbounc

it is a great way to expose your children to excessive alcohol consumption, inappropriate dress and questionable behavior;)... i love PI but i feel strongly that there should be an age limit... imho it is for adults only... my suggestion would be to go there first by yourselves and then decide if you think it would be appropriate for your children...

it is a great way to expose your children to excessive alcohol consumption, inappropriate dress and questionable behavior

Sounds like all of our family weddings!

I plan to take DD7 and DD10 this year for the heck of it. We'll plan on going early and leaving before it gets too wild. The guidebooks say there are lots of kids around in the early hours.

I've been there a couple of times and haven't noticed anything objectionable.

I'll be happy to let you know when I get back how it worked out for us.

Originally posted by Mehudicka
Hi, in the past we have always avoided Pleasure Island because we had kids, but now that the kids are older -- 9 & 13 -- we thought we would go there one evening. We will be there from 8/26-9/2.

What do you recommend? What would they like?

Do they still celebrate New Year's Eve every night, and at what time?

Would you eat there for dinner? Which restaurant?

Thanks, all!
MEHudicka:Pinkbounc

This gives a nice overview. I am inclined to agree with the poster who suggested it is better for adults only. It truly is not a place for children.

http://wdwig.com/faq_pi.htm

Would I eat dinner there? No.

After seeing the Disney / Pleasure Island video shown on the O'Reilly Factor on Fox yesterday, I'm keeping my kids away from there (especially the first week of June).

Originally posted by Firedog
After seeing the Disney / Pleasure Island video shown on the O'Reilly Factor on Fox yesterday, I'm keeping my kids away from there (especially the first week of June).

You do realize that that was a bunch of film take over a 6 year span? You do realize that straight people behave the same way and the film would be equal in sensationlism if it were shot the same way with straight people. This is yellow jounalism at it "finest".

They showed a few different locations / videos /pictures. All that they showed had to have certain "body parts" blurred out to be able to be shown on TV.

The videos were all taken during this years Gay Days at PI by a gentleman who has been against them since their inception. He is against Disney allowing these acts in a public place.

O'Reilly got pretty hot about it, and is demanding that Disney do something to either punish / throw out the participants, or at least make the public aware of when Gay Days is taking place, so that they can avoid witnessing any similar acts, if they should occur.

Gail, I would add, that the deemed the activities shown inappropriate whether it was hetero-sexual or ****-sexual.

(I'm not getting into that debate).

Maybe the blurred out portions were added to the film to make it look worse than it did.?.

To the OP,

Regarding children at PI, I'm often a dissenting view, but I've been there scores of times, and never been offended by children being there. I think the downfall for kids is that besides the AC, there really isn't much for them to do. DTD at that time is more interesting. The 13 year old may understand CW, but certainly not the younger child. And beyond that, it's a bunch of really nice dance bars. Personally, I'd say take them to the AC and enjoy. But know that there are those that seem believe children shouldn't be there. They'll stare at you incessantly. But don't worry, I stare back at them for you!

As for dinner? When I think PI, I don't think food. You can get a really good hot dog, know what I mean?

As for O'Reilly, although I have an opinion, no comment would probably be the smart choice. But I can't help myself! A) I've been to five Gay Days now. Haven't been offended yet. I hope the Gay Day participants weren't offended by me. And I think it irrational to avoid Disney because of GD, am heavily printed on these boards saying as much. That said, B) I've also been to PI for several Gay Day Saturdays. I think O'Reilly didn't create that tape, and I think it representative of some of the behavior I saw late at night in PI. It certainly wasn't the only behavior represented, and I personally couldn't give a hoot. But such behavior wasn't hard to find. As a casual observer, I found it entertaining (as I'm sure I was entertaining after a half dozen drinks at the AC). But the "in-your-face" intention was obvious, and I think it wise of parents who may be on the fence to lean towards avoiding PI the first weekend in March.
I'll not levy an opinion on O'Reilly's reaction, but the tape was a fairly accurate portrayal of some of the goings on.

This is a completely unhelpful reply. This weekend I wanted to go to PI with my daughter (4 yrs old) and mu husband thought it would be inapropriate. We did not go, but I plan to discuss this with him and take my children there another time. Where else (other than weddings) can you dance with your children? I love dancing with my girls and prefer to do it in public (since we're so good!!;) )

You can dance at the Magic Kingdom. They usually have music in Tomorrowland and on Main Street at night. You can dance at the Boardwalk. You can dance wherever you want. I do. Disney has music piped in all over.

Do you have a specific style of dancing or music that you are looking for? Swing? Line Dancing?

I don't see how the post was unhelpful. I thought it was helpful. What was not included?

I personally hang out at PI a lot when I am there. Yes I have seen some hetro adult behaviour that I probably wouldn't want to expose a child to. If you are cool with your kid being around that or bad language - then have them sit by me. ;)

Seriously, the fact is PI is an open bar. Some nights are better than other nights. Some are quiet, some get rather rowdy. I haven't seen "Girls Gone Wild" but I have seen some pretty serious groping/fondling. Only problem is, Disney frowns on you turning a hose on people. Shame, it worked on the neighborhood dogs.

My main concern is that your child would be bored. There isn't much for a kid to do other than watch the drunks.

also if you bring younger children to a later adventurer's club, be aware that they and you may be teased. in december at the 10 pm show a 10 year old and her parents ended up being the main theme of the show. :p

(do mommy and daddy always take you to bars on vacation? did you bring your camera to take pictures of all the drunk people and show you class when you get back to school? etc etc).

personally, i would not bring kids to pleasure island. having kids there does not bother me, but you may be embarrassed (see above), have to explain things to your children you don't want to, or your kids may get bored.

Originally posted by Firedog
Gail, I would add, that the deemed the activities shown inappropriate whether it was hetero-sexual or ****-sexual.

(I'm not getting into that debate).

Maybe the blurred out portions were added to the film to make it look worse than it did.?.

No debate, but, this man is on a mission and one that is not very nice. If he does not like the activities, then he need not attend.

I am sure you can do a lot with film. I am sure he did.

Originally posted by PrincessAurora
My main concern is that your child would be bored. There isn't much for a kid to do other than watch the drunks.

That about sums it up! If you are going I would go early and leave early. I wouldn't stay for the New Years celebration.

Well, I still plan on going with the kids regardless of some of the comments posted here. Here's my general plan:

1.) Arrive early.
2.) Go the Adventurer's Club. This club is too cool to just be wasted on adults.
3.) Go to an early show at the Comedy Club. The guidebooks say the early shows are pretty tame.
4.) Some dancing with DD.

I expect us to be out of there by 9pm or so, unlikely that the kids will be bored in that amount of time.

Decide what you want to do, and don't forget it's really easy to leave if you're not comfortable.

Have a great trip!

michygoomy,

Sounds like you considered PI and your children and made a pretty good plan. One thing - could you post your thoughts about how it turned out - good or bad - when you get back? It'd be nice to hear not only the before, but the after too.

Thanks.

Sounds like you considered PI and your children and made a pretty good plan. One thing - could you post your thoughts about how it turned out - good or bad - when you get back? It'd be nice to hear not only the before, but the after too.

ABSOLUTELY! Look for me about 8/21. :smooth:

Hello, and thanks for all your advice to my question about kids going to Pleasure Island.

I have only been to a closed-off private party at Pleasure Island once myself as a corporate function for a short time, and was curious about kids going there to the other areas.

I had heard wonderful things about the Adventurer's Club -- and my kids LOVE to be teased, so that won't be a problem. We will probably get there when the gates open, and the kids will pass out by 9:30 PM anyway, before things get crazy, so I am probably going to do it.

As far as alternative lifestyles, we live near a major city, have openly gay neighbors, and we have talked about it often and openly. They know that gay people are just different. No big deal.

It's a fact of life today!

Thanks again for your advice.
MEHudicka

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter