Pleasure Island Nightlife for kids 9 & 13

Sounds like you considered PI and your children and made a pretty good plan. One thing - could you post your thoughts about how it turned out - good or bad - when you get back? It'd be nice to hear not only the before, but the after too.

Well, I'm back, and I promised I'd post a reply, so here goes! Details will be in my trip report.

We headed over to PI Monday night early after torrential rains and tornado warnings drove us out of AK. We stayed in the hotel for a couple of hours, but the kids were going stir-crazy in that little room so it was time to go somewhere, regardless of the rain.

It was still raining and lightening really good when we arrived in our ponchos and water shoes (our sneakers were still soaked from that afternoon) looking like geeky tourists next to the youngin's in their dancing clothes. We walked onto the island (I got carded and didn't have my ID, so no drinking for me! Dagnabbit, I'm 35! I have grey hairs! I was with my 10-year-old!) to find hardly anyone there at all. A CM directed us into 8-trax, where DD7 went right to the empty dance floor. She loves to dance, which is why I wanted to do PI, and it was a treat to see her out there dancing away. The few adults in the club would look at her and smile. It was really dead, no more than a couple of people in there at a time.

After a couple of songs we headed off to the Adventurer's Club. There were quite a few kids, and the Club President was teasing a little guy there (younger than my kids) in her act. Not in a mean way, just including him in her show. We headed into the library for the show. It was great, we all loved it. Appropriate for children? Nothing as racy as a Herbal Essence commercial. There was some double-entente jokes that went right over the kids heads. DS10 loved this show.

We headed to the Comedy Club and saw a show. Again, rather tame and other kids were there. They actually picked two older kids to come up and be part of the show. DD10 loved this too.

We headed out then because everyone was tired but all agreed that we would come back. We headed out about 9pm, so I think we beat the majority of the adult crowd.

We went back Tuesday, our last night, arriving a little later this time. The rain wasn't as bad, so it was a little more crowded, but there were still a lot of kids. Went to the Adventurer's again and saw two new shows--one in the library and one in the map room. They were great and I adore Sonny (Sunny?). Again, the humor was very mildly adult, nothing that had me concerned, though other parents may have a different tolerance level. We went back to 8Trax which was playing 80s music (yeah for Mommy!) and DD7 and I danced for quite a while. There was a woman on the dance floor who was very well-endowed and wearing a tube top and dancing in a way that would have been considered suggestive 20 years ago, but is nothing compared to how teens dance today. I've seen worse at some weddings, and DD7 was paying absolutely no attention. Also on the dance floor was a man and a woman with their young teen daughter, having a great time dancing.

We got in line for the comedy club after that, I think it was for the 10:30 show, and at that point the line was all adults. There were still kids walking around PI, but none in line with us. It was at this point that I started to feel self-concious with the kids. We all decided we'd rather go get some ice cream and head back to the room, so we left the line.

So, for those parents out there considering it, here's some salient points:

-There are young couples in love there displaying PDAs, but nothing extreme.
-Some of the adults, even older adults, are there in "club clothes", but it certainly is more conservative than some of the bikinis at BB and TL!
-The shows contain some double-entente type material. It will either go over your kids heads or if they understand it already, then, I guess they've heard much worse!
-Early in the eve seems much more family-friendly than after 10pm.
-Yes, there are kids of all ages there, not in the numbers you see in the park, but more than you would expect from an "adult" environ.
-The kids are singled out often in the shows, but not in any different way than they are in the park. It's not mean-spirited at all.
-Didn't start seeing enebriated people until after 10pm and that was just by looking into their eyes, not by an outward displays of drunkeness.

Sorry this is so long but I'm big on getting as much info as possible and letting people make their own decisions based on their tolerance levels. DH comes from a very large, boisterous family, and I don't feel I exposed the kids to anything more than they would see at our average family get-together, but your tolerance levels might be very different from mine. I agree, though, if it's really meant to be an adult place, they shouldn't allow children, but it still has a Disney atmosphere, at least early in the eve.

For the record, DH and I had one alcoholic drink a piece both nights we were there (even the night I got carded, I admit.) ;)

Have a magical trip, original poster!

we were there last week and took our 15 yo son with us to the comedy club. we all loved the improv show and went back 2 nights later right when it opened with our 7 yo dd. It was absolutely dead; but we got right into the comedy club again, and my dd "got" the jokes--which had a few double-entendres but were family appropriate. My observation on the 2 nights we were there is that there a many many families--at least in the summer time until about 10:30 at night.

My daughter is 9 and personally, I don't think she would have very much fun at PI. She wouldn't understand the humor in either the Comedy Club or the Adventurers Club and would have a million questions, that I am afraid would annoy other guests. Also, she would be bored at the other clubs. Also, I just don't see explaining the jello shooters sold in the streets.

Why not let your sons go to Disney Quest for a couple of hours while you and your DH check out PI? I think both your sons and you and your husband would have a much better time.

I've seen many children there, some even as late as midnight. My parents took us as children, but I was a very shy kid so there is no way I would have danced with, gasp, people watching me! The earlier shows at CW and AC are a lot more tame compared to the later shows. Also, I think michygoomy had a great plan of going early and leaving early. Mon. and Thurs nights are Cast Member nights were CM's get in for free. A lot of WDW College Program students go on these nights. However, the whole 6 months I was there I don't think we ever left our apartment to go to PI before 11 pm. So I'd say as long as you leave by 10 or so they won't see anything innapropriate. (Depending on your views of innapropriate.) There will be people drinking, but let's be honest, it's an adult privilege and kids should know it is an adult thing only. But unless you stay late you shouldnt see anyone acting drunk.

again--
when we were there last week at 8:00 all you saw were families. My 15 yo said, "clearly no self-respecting 23 year old is going to show up until all of us leave." I'd say he was right.

clearly no self-respecting 23 year old is going to show up until all of us leave

LOL, quite true. And don't the kids go out after 10-11 anyways? We did in our pre-kid partying days.

We took our boys when they were 9. They loved the Comedy Warehouse (early show). Also, there was a band on the West End Stage? I think that's what it is called. Anyway, the boys had a GREAT time dancing to the oldies music that they were playing. It was nice to see boys dancing voluntarily! They don't do that anymore! Also, a CM came up behind them when we were watching a demonstration of country line-dancing. The CM had a puppet and was teasing the boys. They still laugh at how Josh got "scared" by the puppet.
I would say, take the kids to PI as long as you leave early.
Another thing is, and we don't drink very much so this may no longer be true, but when we first went there (without kids) I thought that the drink I had was VERY strong. DH thought the same about his. Since then we haven't had any drinks at WDW, and that was in '96....so the drinks may be more watered down now.

michygoomy,

Thanks for the PI report! Sounds everything worked out fine for you and family. And now we have good info/advice:
-Early in the eve seems much more family-friendly than after 10pm.
the next time this question comes up!

You're welcome. We enjoyed it.

Maybe the best policy would be to allow children in until 10pm or so. Then the adults could have a child-free environ during prime partying hours and families could enjoy some Disnified "night-life" in the early evening hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter