Poly is an ok resort

nuhusky123

DIS Veteran
Upfront I expect tons of hate

but… poly is just an ok resort

pros
- location is awesome. On monorail and walking distance to transportation center
- it has dole whips
- ohana

everything else though makes it an ok resort. Nothing special. Not bad but nothing that makes me say wow I would stay here if mk didn’t exist which is my measuring tool for good hotels

the rooms although updated still have super old bones. For example the wall light sconce. You can just tell this resort was built a long time ago

the pools are really small and again look like they were built in the 70s. Heck everything about this resort screams 70s

i didn’t have a bad stay and I love dole whips and ohana, but again it’s just an ok hotel for me.

id stay here again and I’d be happy but poly isn’t a bad resort, it isn’t amazing where I scream oh my god they have a savanna like I do at akl. Poly is a sold C resort, just ok

We all have our likes! I have Stayed there a few times and thought it was a nice resort but it is 5th on my list of places to stay.

I love the ease to MK and some of the amenities but not having to walk uncovered to the main building.

Its wny I can’t wait for the Poly tower because that is my kind of building!

Rationally I can't disagree with anything you are saying! However, emotions alone compel me to disagree. I love that old time 70s feel that you describe. There is a certain beauty and sense of calm when walking along the pathways at night with the torches casting shadows against the pristine landscaped backdrop.

the rooms although updated still have super old bones.
I agree that the Poly shows its old bones. You'd have to pretty much tear down the entire resort and start from scratch to change that. Disney has tried everything but. The rooms have mostly been gutted, taken down to studs. The lobby has been completely redone. (And many complained about that.) The pool has been redone. All of these changes are within the last year. Disney has tried to update the Poly without completely destroying it.

But it is kinda cute because of it. Or at least nostalgic, one of the few areas at WDW that can take me back to the 1970s.

What's your favorite resort?

It's been a while since I stayed there but I agree with some of your points. The rooms feel a bit old compared to other resorts and pools are kinda small. I also find Poly (and all of the monorail resorts) to be crazy crowded all the time, it's just not my thing. The theming is great and I like the older 70s feel, it feels unique.

Also this might just be me but ever since they got rid of the waterfall garden in the middle of the lobby the Poly just hasn't been the same in my eyes :( The plants made the lobby have such an amazing smell that I really miss.

The Poly is one of my absolute favorite resorts… to visit. It is one of my least favorite to stay at. I love the vibe of the resort in the evenings to walk around with a drink. Then I can go back to different resort to stay at.

Rationally I can't disagree with anything you are saying! However, emotions alone compel me to disagree. I love that old time 70s feel that you describe. There is a certain beauty and sense of calm when walking along the pathways at night with the torches casting shadows against the pristine landscaped backdrop.
Torches = very cool

whats not cool = the different color sidewalk. at night when I couldn’t see very well due to lack of lights and just the torches to guide me. the darker shade pavement pathway looked like grass. As I was walking from my room to the parking lot I kept weaving about Thinking I was about to walk on the grass

Anyone watching me probably thought I was drunk

i have yet to try gfv, doing that later this year also now own there so I really hope I like it and it becomes my go to mk resort

but akl impresses me the most. Rooms need a refresh but of all the hotels at Disney it’s the only one I would happily go to if wdw closed just because you can see giraffes while sitting in bed

i haven’t stayed at riv either and I’d probably like riv

I haven't stayed at that many DVC resorts yet (AKL, PVC, SSR, BWV) but I love it. We stay in studios and I love the size of the Poly studio and split bathrooms. I also love the vibe the resort gives. Agree that the pools are a bit small and can be quite crowded but the pros outweigh the cons for me!

Truth be told the only resort on property I would pay to stay at without the parks to go to would be the four seasons....oh yeah we don't go to the parks when we stay there!

Poly is one of our homes and we love it but that's on a disney scale...and even so I like others ahead of it.

Last edited:
I agree. There is just something about the Poly that makes me feel so relaxed and happy. I love so many WDW resorts but nothing makes me feel like the Poly ☺️

Poly and RIV are our 1a and 1b. For us we like the walkability to MK, but it is far enough away that when you are in your room it feels like a separate getaway. We enjoyed Ohana and love Kona. We were there in December and I loved the Christmas music they were playing.

That said, I see why some people may not like it. The pools I agree are very small for the capacity of the resort. For longer stays the laundry provided for the DVC rooms is inadequate. I wish they had been able to turn the 2nd bathroom into laundry. We also aren't a monorail fan but have no issues with the walk, even though long, to. MK.

The Poly is one of my absolute favorite resorts… to visit. It is one of my least favorite to stay at. I love the vibe of the resort in the evenings to walk around with a drink. Then I can go back to different resort to stay at.
My thoughts as well, great to visit, but not stay. If you aren't staying there the only thing really can do is use the pools... but for my family we we think the Oasis pool is very boring and lacks themeing. The feature pool is way too small and so hard to get a chair. I really hope the new pool they add is something special and can accommodate the crowds. The poly is too crowded and they continue to "redo" things but not add any capacity.

Upfront I expect tons of hate

but… poly is just an ok resort

pros
- location is awesome. On monorail and walking distance to transportation center
- it has dole whips
- ohana

everything else though makes it an ok resort. Nothing special. Not bad but nothing that makes me say wow I would stay here if mk didn’t exist which is my measuring tool for good hotels

the rooms although updated still have super old bones. For example the wall light sconce. You can just tell this resort was built a long time ago

the pools are really small and again look like they were built in the 70s. Heck everything about this resort screams 70s

i didn’t have a bad stay and I love dole whips and ohana, but again it’s just an ok hotel for me.

id stay here again and I’d be happy but poly isn’t a bad resort, it isn’t amazing where I scream oh my god they have a savanna like I do at akl. Poly is a sold C resort, just ok
Agreed. It's in the middle of our Deluxe Resorts and Villas list. Much prefer the Grand or Contemporary in the MK area. And we have stayed at the Poly (and all Deluxe resorts many many times). It has some cool Disney history though, including the dubious honor of being the hotel where the Beatles officially ended (one of my favorite trivia bites, among many for that resort).

IMO can plug in any Disney resort into this title, including Animal Kingdom, and it’s a true statement. They are all “Ok”. We each have our own likes and dislikes to make one more Ok than another.

You get no hate from me.

I'll save all of mine for the Poly itself. YUCKOLA!

'Ohana breakfast--YUMlicious, but everyone else is welcome to the rest of it.

Haha. It's so true but you just have to keep reminding yourself that you're not paying its prices for any luxury service. I've been all but ignored by valet, not asked for help with luggage, waited in a long line at check-in as they were way too understaffed, room wasn't ready until hours after check-in, etc. All while paying $$$ a night.

But would I stay there again? Ugh. Yes, because it's THE POLY.

In Jan Poly was our DVC bucket list 'one and done'. Loved the new studio with the Murphy bed. DW just didn't like the vibe or the walking. Glad it didn't rain when we were there. As a points miser, we prefer our home resorts BLT/BWV Standard villas. So glad DVC has many resort options for all tastes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter