• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Polynesian Noise question

dimimi

DIS Veteran
Everyone has been so WONDERFUL answering my questions! Thanks.

Are the rooms at the Polynesian noisy? If we request a patio room, will be hear the guests walking in the rooms above? We are requesting Tokelau? Thanks...I know this is a picky question, but I was curious. We are wondering between patio and balcany rooms. I think the view may be better from the balcony, but the patio would be convenient.

Thanks again!:Pinkbounc

We stayed in a balcony in September and heard nothing from above, below or beside. I have seen posts where a particular family might be loud or where there was even a domestic disturbance in a room.

It's not a bad bet that you would get a great room and be very happy at the Poly.

I also stayed in the Tokelau building on the third floor (top floor) and had no noise at all. The sliding glass doors to the room are extremely heavy and sound proof. Of course, if you go on the balcony you can see and hear people going by but that's normal. Iwould not stay on the bottom floor with the patio because you are in direct line with the pathways and may get more noise but on the third floor it's nice and the view too. Also, there are alot of ducks on property walking around (so cute) and they tend to congregate near the patios on the ground level for some reason. The property overall is peaceful and beautiful and you'll be happy with how nice it is.

We stayed on 3rd floor in Tokelau overlooking the quiet pool. We were 3 rooms from the end opposite the beach. Didnt hear a peep the whole week! Very relaxing spot. Your view would depend on the size of the tree in front of your window.

CDIZNEY, How did you like the Tokelau building? I am getting ready to make my ressies. I am thinking of Tokelau or Niue. Was Tokelau close to the main Pool?? Any other thoughts would be helpful.Thanks..amy

We stayed in 3930 in Tokelau and the only noise we heard were room doors slamming across the hall. One thing I can't stand are inconsiderate guests who don't hold onto the handles and just let the door shut on its own (and rather loudly).

The only noise we heard at the Polynesian were the sounds from the Richard Petty racetrack - and those were only outside the room on the grounds.

Hi Dimimi,

We stayed at the Poly in '98 - don't remember the name of the building, but our room was right above the marina. What a great view of the lake & the magic kingdom! It was also very quiet... MUCH quieter than our room at the Yacht Club.

We were at the YC (and AKL) just 2 months ago, stayed in Conceirge but even so the noise at the YC was just terrible. (Paper thin walls & doors I guess.) The YC room seemed so small and the decore cheesy. I liked the Poly much better. The CM's at the YC were fantastic, helpful and warm and the offerings in the lounge were good. (Though they don't hold a candle to the C-Lounge of AKL.) But if you want real peace and quiet, the AKL concierge rooms can't be beat. Hmmm I wonder what the CR tower rooms are like?

Like DeeCeeSW said, the only noises we heard were doors slamming by rude guests. At the YC, you'll get that plus a whole lot more! You are gonna have a blast at Poly!!!!

Darian

We just booked our ressies at the Poly for Tokelau in late August and requested a balcony. We stayed at the Poly a few years ago when my son was 4 and had a patio room. He kept telling me at the MK that his shoe was hurting him. Finally I listened to him - he took off his sneaker and in it was a HUGE, dead (thank goodness) palmetto bug. I felt awful!! We made sure we always checked our shoes after that. Being on the ground floor I think you could be more prone to bugs. Suffice to say, I'm a little bug neurotic. Now whenever we stay anywhere in FL or in a warm climate, we always request at least the second floor!

We've stayed in Tokelau twice, on the third floor overlooking the quiet pool both times. Other than people clomping and kids running down the hall, we never heard a sound from anyone the whole time.

I would (and do) recommend Tokelau to anyone and everyone.

Enjoy your stay.

Corvair..

The west side of the Tokelau building overlooks the quiet pool. The volcano pool is just the other side of the Samoa building... go out the door of Tokelay, past the quiet pool, around Samoa, and there you are. It's a LOOOOOONG walk, though; it might take as long as two or three minutes. If you are interested in the the Volcano pool because it might entertain the short, young people in your party, the trip from Tokelau will be a piece of cake for them.

If you're looking for a more mature, sedate experience and/or can't handle the trip, you'll have to suffer the humiliation of spending your time at the quiet pool, which is not exactly an indignity.

Enjoy your stay, too.

Kevin

Kevin, thanks..I guess you suggest Tokelau. It sound like it would be easy for my 2 DDs to get to the Volcano pool....they will be running back and forth to the room... thanks..amy

We stayed in Tokelau 3942 at Thanksgiving...the only noise we heard was kids screaming in the "quiet pool"--- don't know where their parents were at 11:00 p.m., but as soon as I closed the balcony door, it was instant quiet.

We "slept" in a lot of mornings until 8-9 a.m. The last morning we were leaving, the little kids next door were screaming early in the morning ... I don't know if they were just checking in as we hadn't heard them the whole time we were there.
Have fun, it's a great place.
J. :-)

Jeanny, how did you like that location? I am deciding between Niue or Tokeau..thanks..amy

We liked it... it was close to the TTC, we walked over there quite a few times, it was only a few minutes to get there. I liked to get the monorail from there. The line was always long when we stopped at the Polynesian.

We found the "short cut" to the GCH the night before we left (of course), usually we just walked towards the volcano pool and then turned left into the GCH for breakfast at the Kona Cafe. We never made it to O'Hana's~ it was always crowded.

Our room was towards the end of the building, so we just used the stairs. Yeah, it hurt sometimes, but I figured, I'd haved to walk further if I wanted to use the elevator. I had originally asked for either Tahiti or Tokelau, I was glad I had Tokelau.... although Tahiti was the closest to the TTC, the walk to the GCH would have seem really long to get that mug filled up each time

Maybe it's the older longhouses, but every time we stay in the Hawaii bldg it's loud. When the kids run down the hall it sounds like a stampede. On our last visit every day during nap the it sounded like the people above us were having a hockey game. We even use a sound machine. Then we moved to the BWV's where we heard the sound of hammers and saws during nap. It wasn't until we moved to the AKL concierge that we were able to nap in peace:D

I have stayed at the Poly several times and truely love it. And am a huge fan of the poly BUT, we thought the muffled sounds of tahiti weren't terrible the few times we were there only hall noise noticed. Then in aug. we stayed in hawaii for the 1st time and it was noiser we could easily hear the other rooms, but they were well mannered and it was not too terrible, on the 2nd floor only the opening and closing of the balcony door above us seemed to be truely noticeable. BUT that wasn't even close to TOKELAU! I really liked the location of this building and in returning this october had the extreme misfortune of staying next to thee most loud, unruly family, (I can't even descibe) noise level of this room. From there check in to check out we happened to be there for both events, I could not believe, went as far as calling poly desk to move us or do something about this. They had 3 small children who's parent's vacation was spent on the balcony with the doors shut and them locked inside banging on our walls. They drove there trucks and cars on the walls, opened and closed the connecting door to our rooms daily so many times I lost count. we moved the "couch " over to the door and put all the pillows lined up around the door to muffle the noise, the 1st day house keeping tried to move this and the 2nd they reinforced it! One morning at 4am (I checked the clock ) I heard screaming MOM over and over again finally "your little soldier is up" and the tv is on high and the games begin. These parents when I would go to open the patio to talk to them would run in there room and hide, and then yell "be quiet" . Now god knows we are at WDW and I hope and expect excited kids to wake up and yell or cry at times but for the parents to be with them, and take care of them, and set an example of how to behave, treat objects (the room), or others...... Lord knows we have all heard and expect to hear each other in rooms, but at least if its late or early to try and make an attempt at being quiet is all most people expect. I cannot even imagine what the people on the 2nd floor under this room thought was going on up there. I do not mean to offend anyone, or start a debate, but these older rooms, you can easily hear through so if its you tv, radio, son, or you singing in the shower, check the volume.

:rolleyes: MKY

Wow, I thought I had made up my mind to stay at the poly. Now I do not know. I do think sometimes it depends on the people next to you. I think any resort could be noisey, but the poly sounds very noisey. amy

It does depend on the people next to you. But all you have to do is call the front desk or stop by the front desk. Squeaky wheel, I always say. If the CM there won't do anything, then, ask for the manager on duty.

You can always knock on the Loud Family's door and see how they like it. I wouldn't take any of the family noise like Mkymouse4ever. I'd be banging on their door in a heartbeat.... I'm not on vacation to listen to other people's brats.

When we were there, the only place we saw crying children was in the MK.... both my daughter and I would say "THERE'S NO CRYING IN DISNEY WORLD"

give the Polynesian a chance, it really was a great place!!

We stayed in Tokelau 3917 (near the lagoon end of the building, but facing away from the quiet pool) in October. It was absolutely lovely. The only time I heard our neighbors was when both of us were on the balcony. I felt the walk to TTC. the arcade (critical for the 14 y.o. DS, --a CM actually gave way too many credits to everyone playing!), volcano pool, and GHC were far too short with all the great landscaping. I couldn't even hear the renovations going on in the next building (perhaps Tahiti). I would gladly stay in Tokelau again. The only "trouble" I had was locating pool towels behind the pool bar and hair wrap station at the volcano pool!

Happy deciding!

dagston, how far away was Tokelau from the Volcano pool..thanks..for the positive reveiws. I really want to stay at the poly...amy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter