Pop Century Room Renovations

I booked two bounceback trips to Pop while I was there last week, one for the end of August and one for December 2018. Do you think those two are late enough in the game that I don't have to request a renovated room, or should I go ahead and do it anyway? I made the request on my January and April trips, as I'm 100% sure they won't be finished by then, but I'm thinking August might be?

It's tempting to save it but it won't make or break the trip for us. I've always wanted to try POFQ too. But I'll keep my eye out on the renovations. Double beds just won't do for us. If it was just my son and I, it would be no problem!
I guess if the money isn’t too bad of an issue for you I would choose POFQ. It’s so quaint!

I am checking into Pop today and am assigned building 5. Did they finish refurbishment there?

I am checking into Pop today and am assigned building 5. Did they finish refurbishment there?

No. I believe renovations just started in building 5 at the beginning of December. It sounds like you'll be in an unrefurbished room.

FWIW, building 5 is my favourite building because of it's location to the foodcourt, main pool and bridge to AofA. :)

One advantage Pop has (my opinion only, of course) is the roped-off queues at the bus stops. I hate the free-for-all it was at Beach Club and POR. Maybe it's less chaotic at POFQ with it being smaller, what did you think?
We never had trouble with lines at POR or POFQ but we always get to the parks an hour early so when we got to the bus stop we usually didnt see anyone there or maybe just a couple of people.

One advantage Pop has (my opinion only, of course) is the roped-off queues at the bus stops. I hate the free-for-all it was at Beach Club and POR. Maybe it's less chaotic at POFQ with it being smaller, what did you think?

The bus stop area at POFQ is definitely less chaotic than the main bus stop at POR, but it can still get chaotic at times. While I love POFQ, I still prefer the roped off queues at Pop.

I booked two bounceback trips to Pop while I was there last week, one for the end of August and one for December 2018. Do you think those two are late enough in the game that I don't have to request a renovated room, or should I go ahead and do it anyway? I made the request on my January and April trips, as I'm 100% sure they won't be finished by then, but I'm thinking August might be?

I'd imagine they'd be finished by December. Maybe finishing up by the end of August. Id probably just request what building you want and avoid requesting the 50's since that's where they'll be refurbishing at that point.

Thanks for the input. Still not 100% sure, but I think we'll try POFQ for this Spring. I'm also planning a December 2018 trip. I'd imagine Pop will be all done by then, so maybe we'll return to Pop for our Christmas trip. I asked on the main Pop thread but this one actually seems more active... anyone have experience with Pop Century during Pop Warner?

I know nothing about the moderates, but when we stayed at BWI and AKL, I hated not having the roped off areas while waiting for the bus.

** Current Status of Pop Renovations ** Updated 12/13/2017

Buildings 7, 8, 9 and 10 (80's and 90's sections + 1/2 of 70's section) COMPLETE

Buildings 6 (70's section) some rooms open but STILL BEING RENOVATED

Buildings 5 (60's section) some rooms open but STILL BEING RENOVATED

Given the above, does everyone think it's safe to assume that all standard rooms in in the 70s will be open and renovated prior to my check in on 1/11/18?

Thanks for the input. Still not 100% sure, but I think we'll try POFQ for this Spring. I'm also planning a December 2018 trip. I'd imagine Pop will be all done by then, so maybe we'll return to Pop for our Christmas trip. I asked on the main Pop thread but this one actually seems more active... anyone have experience with Pop Century during Pop Warner?

I have been there in 2016 and 2017 during Pop Warner, and did not have any issues at the resort as a result. It was a little dicey the last couple days of the most recent trip with large groups of South American tourists arriving (seemed to be both families and young teen groups) because it was starting to get a little crowded, but it still wasn't bad and everyone was kind and courteous to one another. I don't recall even seeing any Pop Warner participants at the hotel, although I did see a few in the parks.

I have been going that particular week since the mid 1980's and stayed at all levels of resorts during that time, and so far (knocking on wood) haven't had any issues at my hotel related to them.

I do wonder if having rooms full of young, excited, full of energy kids (with perhaps minimal supervision) could result in noise in the new rooms. If there were any staying at Pop, I would guess they were not in the 90's/80's section where I was, since I didn't see them out and about. I haven't had any real noise issues in the new rooms (I've stayed in two of them now), but in any hotel good neighbors can make or break a resort stay.

The bus stop area at POFQ is definitely less chaotic than the main bus stop at POR, but it can still get chaotic at times. While I love POFQ, I still prefer the roped off queues at Pop.
We never went to the main bus stop at POR so maybe that’s why we never had issues. We’ve only stayed at resorts where there isn’t a rope and I’ve never had any problems. Like I said, we get to the bus stop about an hour and a half before the park opens. Never tried getting on the bus in the middle of the day.

Checked in today and received notification of my room while I was at AK. Initially received my room in the 50s section which was a bummer. Finished my day at AK, headed to the front desk around 8:30pm and was able to get a refurbished room which made our day even better! :)

Checked in today and received notification of my room while I was at AK. Initially received my room in the 50s section which was a bummer. Finished my day at AK, headed to the front desk around 8:30pm and was able to get a refurbished room which made our day even better! :)
I guess you are proof that it's possible to get a refurbished room even if you show up late at night!

Already considering a return trip now that we are home and I ended up sick with flu last 3 days which was awful - debating trying somewhere new or returning to pop - also thought I had my dates 4/22-4/27 but now I saw two places state heavy crowds two of those days - cheer competitions which I want no part of - anyone have April advice?? Or is there a thread dedicated?? I know first week is out for Easter but any advice is appreciated!!
I'm going to be there but doing a split stay at BLT and Boardwalk.

Given the above, does everyone think it's safe to assume that all standard rooms in in the 70s will be open and renovated prior to my check in on 1/11/18?
No, I don’t believe that all standard rooms in the 70’s will be open by January 11th. While they have opened some rooms in a short amount of time it’s not the norm and adding in potential for reduced staff over the Christmas holidays, I don’t anticipate the current 70’s building to be completed until late January or later.

Staying at the Pop now through Christmas and I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. We usually stay at a Deluxe but needed two rooms cause Grandma is joining us midtrip. I requested connecting rooms in the 80’s or 90’s when I called to make them, and that what we got when we checked in. Our rooms are on the fourth floor of the 90’s. Haven’t noticed hardly any noise but we do sleep with sound machines. Our family of 6 fits perfectly in two rooms. All our children do sleep in the Murphy beds and we have been closing them each day to eat.

Yes it’s a bit of a walk to food but since we mostly eat breakfast and supper in our rooms that doesn’t matter. It’s close to my car as we plan to drive to most parks and other resorts and Target for supplies.

One note - I noticed during our stay. Flooring is being partially replaced in at least 4 rooms on the fourth floor. The refurb hadn’t been that long ago, and I’m wondering what’s up..and in my opinion it’s too soon and frankly doesn’t add up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter