• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

Well, I guess I'm moving over here to become part of the Pop crowd as of today! I just sent over my notice to our travel lady that I needed to change us from AoA to Pop. Hubby's last employer closed down last month, so while we're blessed he's found another job, it's not enough that we can splurge on the family suite over at AoA. Soooo, I'm now over here to stalk for refurb info and other tid bits of information for our first trip ever next June! pirate:

I've heard that the gift card is in the form of an email. Is this correct? If so, is there an expiry attached to it?

Yes it's sent to you in an email - there is a barcode and account number and security code in that email.

Don't see any expiry on it in the email. The T&Cs at the bottom were:
"Protect this Disney Gift Card and treat it as you would cash. Disney Gift Card has no value until activated. Purchase or use of this card constitutes acceptance of these terms. Lost, stolen or damanged gift cards cannot be replaced without proof of purchase. Not redeemable for cash except where required by law. Disney Gift Card Services, Inc. (“DGCS”), is the card issuer and is not responsible for any unauthorized use of card. This card may not be used towards the purchase of Disney Gift Cards. For complete terms and conditions and gift card balance, go to DisneyGiftCard.com or call 1-877-650-4327. DGCS reserves the right to change any terms and conditions of this card upon notice at DisneyGiftCard.com. You may use this gift card at select participating locations including: Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Disney Store, and DisneyStore.com"

Probably the easiest way to use it is to just stop by the front desk at some point before midnight day of check out and pay off the some of the room charges using it!

Welcome @AColeman! Hope you enjoy your stay at Pop! If you have any questions we're happy to help you out!

Thanks @sky13! I like your idea of using it to pay off some of the extra charges. LOL - they sometimes seem to creep up when all it requires is a tap of a MagicBand. I'm thinking being able to see my current expenses on the MDE app is going to keep my spending in check!

Can someone help me with requesting a new renovated room? Did they fulfill that request when you did online check in at 60days? Or should I do an additional phone call 9/7 days before arrival? Thank you!

Can someone help me with requesting a new renovated room? Did they fulfill that request when you did online check in at 60days? Or should I do an additional phone call 9/7 days before arrival? Thank you!

I did both and got my request.

Thanks @sky13! I like your idea of using it to pay off some of the extra charges. LOL - they sometimes seem to creep up when all it requires is a tap of a MagicBand. I'm thinking being able to see my current expenses on the MDE app is going to keep my spending in check!

Yes it's very scary how quickly the charges can add up on a Magic Band! Especially during Food and Wine...

What I did was - I found out on here that the 80s/90s were pretty much done with the renovations, so I requested for these blocks on the online check in. I then used Touring Plans (needs subscription though) to fax in a room request, where I added a note that I would really like a refurbished room if possible. One of them must have worked as when I checked in the CM noted that I had requested for 80s/90s which was newly refurbished!

What did you say on the phone? Just curious! And what number did you call? Sorry for all the questions- first timer here!

I called the reservation line and they added my request of a refurbished room to my reservation. When I did online check in I chose the 80's section.

I requested it when I did online check in and sent a request fax, and I am sitting in a new room in building seven! :cloud9: I did make a new room my only request, no specific building or floor. I was really concerned that the hurricane evacuees would make it harder to get my request, but it didn't appear to.

Ok, that's not too bad. I thought if you wanted your room cleaned you would HAVE to pay. That doesn't sit well with me. I'd be happy to have a discount for not having it done...plus the savings on mousekeeping tip as well.

Housekeeping is not considered a tipped position at Disney. That said, many people tip. Many do not.100% optional.

Random musings tonight: We added another day to our reservation (room-only, since it was too late to add to our package). I checked us in online, and I'm noticing my first reservation will store my requests for 90s or 80s, but the package does not give me the option to request anything. Do you think it is recognizing that I'll be in a room the first night and preventing me from choosing a different room for the rest of the stay?

Do we have a time frame as to when all the rooms will be completed?

The answer I've heard kicked around the most is "May, 2018," but at the rate they're going I can't see them making that. Unless they really hurry up, I'm betting it's more like late summer 2018.

Without sounding too dramatic...I might actually die of suspense before I get to see what a Wheelchair accessible room looks like. Been waiting since first saw the demo room photos a year ago and in earnest since they started the renos in March and in stalking mode since June and in obsessed mode since building 7 opened.
Someone end my agony! Please!

Random musings tonight: We added another day to our reservation (room-only, since it was too late to add to our package). I checked us in online, and I'm noticing my first reservation will store my requests for 90s or 80s, but the package does not give me the option to request anything. Do you think it is recognizing that I'll be in a room the first night and preventing me from choosing a different room for the rest of the stay?

OT and I'm guessing you're well aware of this if it applies to you but erring on the side of caution. If you have a dining plan for your package, your dining credits will expire at midnight the day tour package ends. Didn't want you to lose any unused credits.

Well, I guess I'm moving over here to become part of the Pop crowd as of today! I just sent over my notice to our travel lady that I needed to change us from AoA to Pop. Hubby's last employer closed down last month, so while we're blessed he's found another job, it's not enough that we can splurge on the family suite over at AoA. Soooo, I'm now over here to stalk for refurb info and other tid bits of information for our first trip ever next June! pirate:

I am in the same boat. I had some unexpected expenses pop up totaling 2,700 bucks so I had to downgrade from POFQ to Pop but hey with the refurbed rooms I am feeling much more excited about it. I had book preferred but i stalked the Disney site until a standard room popped up so I can get a shot at refurbished room!

Life happens but we can still enjoy Disney to the fullest!

When you try to pull down on the room selection tab does it not load any options and just say "select". If so you should try going into incognito mode from chrome.

I am in the same boat. I had some unexpected expenses pop up totaling 2,700 bucks so I had to downgrade from POFQ to Pop but hey with the refurbed rooms I am feeling much more excited about it. I had book preferred but i stalked the Disney site until a standard room popped up so I can get a shot at refurbished room!

Life happens but we can still enjoy Disney to the fullest!

I posted elsewhere about this but I had originally planned to stay a few nights at Pop then a few nights at POFQ last week. I got to Pop and saw my refurbished room and fell in love, and after a couple of nights I called to change my POFQ reservation to Pop. I think it almost felt like it might be a downgrade going from the shiny new refurb room with USB ports everywhere, laminate floor, overhead shower, huge table (as I kept the Murphy bed up), to POFQ which hasn't been refurbed for a while. And the price difference was good as well, meant I got to buy some extra stuff too!

I posted elsewhere about this but I had originally planned to stay a few nights at Pop then a few nights at POFQ last week. I got to Pop and saw my refurbished room and fell in love, and after a couple of nights I called to change my POFQ reservation to Pop. I think it almost felt like it might be a downgrade going from the shiny new refurb room with USB ports everywhere, laminate floor, overhead shower, huge table (as I kept the Murphy bed up), to POFQ which hasn't been refurbed for a while. And the price difference was good as well, meant I got to buy some extra stuff too!

I saw it! It also helped me feel a lot better about having to make the switch. for a couple of weeks I struggled to get excited...and then I saw those refurbished room pictures :love:. I think that my travel agent thought that I was nuts when I asked to change my reservation to a standard room when the price difference for 6 nights only saved me about $16 total but the new rooms are such an upgrade.

What I did was - I found out on here that the 80s/90s were pretty much done with the renovations, so I requested for these blocks on the online check in. I then used Touring Plans (needs subscription though) to fax in a room request, where I added a note that I would really like a refurbished room if possible. One of them must have worked as when I checked in the CM noted that I had requested for 80s/90s which was newly refurbished!

I did the same so hopefully I will be in a refurbished room when I get there on Saturday!! :cool1: Thanks to everyone here for all the info, I wouldn't have had a clue how to get a refurbished room otherwise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter