Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

My billing cycle ends on the 11th. Points should be available on the 12th, the same day of the next release. Does anyone know what time points would post to my RR account? Hopefully before 6am just in case. Thanks.
It takes about four days past my payment due date for the points to post to my RR account.

Last edited:
I know it sucks but at the same time there's got to be a limit somewhere unless travel funds switch over to what the new policy is for points where they don't expire.

If you did a year from when your flight is and you booked at release day you'll get something like 18-20months or so to use a credit (that's using 6-8 months out of a flight for when it was released). But someone then someone like my husband who frequently books business travel 2-3 weeks before his flight would only have 1 year and 2 to 3 weeks.

No matter what you're always going to have some people have much less time to use their credits than someone else and some who has less time could be just as likely as the person who has more time to fly within that time frame.

As for coronavirus I'm not so sure on that one as it's related to a virus not related to wanting to take advantage of a reduction in airfare pricing. But I'm def. interested in the ramifications of all of this on the airlines..I just hope they all come out mostly if not fully unscathed in the end.

It would be reasonable to expect any revision to their current policy to be limited to flights within a certain date range. For now, perhaps that range would be any flight through March 31. In a week or two, they might extend that to include any flight through the end of April (or mid-April). Anyway, I just can't imagine that a company which prides itself on its highly-rated customer service would allow other carriers to outdo them when it comes to these extraordinary circumstances we find ourselves in right now.

FYI I had 4 sets of travel funds from rebooking flights 4x for our November trip. I was only allowed to use 2 per person and the website automatically took the lowest ones. I had to call and have the highest 2 sets applied.
Did you not have the option to pick and choose which funds to apply? I get a check box next to them. I select which funds to use, keeping in mind the max number of payment types. And when the funds pay the price in full you can use 3. They use 3 forms of payment, max. So 2 credits and a credit card or 3 credits.

I really wish SW would institute a change to their current travel funds policy so that you have a year from when your original flight was to take place, or a year from the date you cancel, or really ANYTHING other than a year from when you originally booked. Some of our funds would be backdated to last June or July if we cancel at this point for our April 25- May 2 trip and I just don't see this virus issue being worked out by then. I know they already have a very flexible policy and I appreciate that, but these are extraordinary circumstances and many other airlines are going to end up with BETTER policies due to the coronavirus than what SW currently has.
That would be nice for sure but man, their policy is so generous now I just can't complain about it. My theory is, if I know I can't travel within the time of the credit, I don't bother looking for a fare to drop. I'd rather not know than get a credit I don't use.
I still don't think the Legacies have a better overall policy, even with the exceptions they are putting in place.

Did you not have the option to pick and choose which funds to apply? I get a check box next to them. I select which funds to use, keeping in mind the max number of payment types. And when the funds pay the price in full you can use 3. They use 3 forms of payment, max. So 2 credits and a credit card or 3 credits.

That would be nice for sure but man, their policy is so generous now I just can't complain about it. My theory is, if I know I can't travel within the time of the credit, I don't bother looking for a fare to drop. I'd rather not know than get a credit I don't use.
I still don't think the Legacies have a better overall policy, even with the exceptions they are putting in place.

I did not have that option obviously. I had to call like I said.

It would be reasonable to expect any revision to their current policy to be limited to flights within a certain date range. For now, perhaps that range would be any flight through March 31. In a week or two, they might extend that to include any flight through the end of April (or mid-April). Anyway, I just can't imagine that a company which prides itself on its highly-rated customer service would allow other carriers to outdo them when it comes to these extraordinary circumstances we find ourselves in right now.
I thought you were talking about the aftermath once the dust settles my apologies.

But I also agree with another poster by far SWA has one of the most lenient policies anyways. It's easy for other airlines to say "we'll temporarily allow this" when they haven't been doing that in the first place. SWA has been the airline to go that gives you a credit to begin with.

I've got a local DISer who is running into issues with Alaskan Air. They wouldn't give her or other people she knew anything for a cancellation they (meaning the passengers versus the airline) did for flights to Seattle (understandable) because they booked BEFORE a late February date IIRC. Nothing--not a voucher not even their own dang miles back. Maybe they've switched up their polices in the last week (haven't kept up on their issue) but at least with SWA (and the DISer did say that's what she gets for not booking with them) you could always get your miles back and you could get a credit even if it had a restriction it was something better than "you're out of luck".

Even if you put a date range here that would be unfortunate for my husband who flies March 30th but comes back April 2nd for a business trip (flights are still not booked yet) or when we both fly together on April 12th and come back April 16th and that's stressful to me to hope that SWA would just keep extending the date. We booked that in January I believe before all this Coronavirus came up. It's always going to impact someone. I know you were just throwing out a date.

I hear ya though. We don't really take advantage of price reductions unless we're booked on points honestly (which isn't often at the moment) The only reason we adjusted our flight this time for the April trip is because my husband's company initially paid for the ticket. Otherwise..we wouldn't have in this case as a direct result of Coronavirus. It would be unfortunate if we let the credits expire by mid-October but we don't know for sure what our plans will be in the coming months. I should note my ticket is booked on points so we would totally go for adjusting that one since we'll get those points back regardless.

Sorry didn't mean for this to become a longer thing here. I think we're all feeling the anxiety and stress this is all causing :flower3::grouphug:

I thought you were talking about the aftermath once the dust settles my apologies.

But I also agree with another poster by far SWA has one of the most lenient policies anyways. It's easy for other airlines to say "we'll temporarily allow this" when they haven't been doing that in the first place. SWA has been the airline to go that gives you a credit to begin with.

I've got a local DISer who is running into issues with Alaskan Air. They wouldn't give her or other people she knew anything for a cancellation they (meaning the passengers versus the airline) did for flights to Seattle (understandable) because they booked BEFORE a late February date IIRC. Nothing--not a voucher not even their own dang miles back. Maybe they've switched up their polices in the last week (haven't kept up on their issue) but at least with SWA (and the DISer did say that's what she gets for not booking with them) you could always get your miles back and you could get a credit even if it had a restriction it was something better than "you're out of luck".

Even if you put a date range here that would be unfortunate for my husband who flies March 30th but comes back April 2nd for a business trip (flights are still not booked yet) or when we both fly together on April 12th and come back April 16th and that's stressful to me to hope that SWA would just keep extending the date. We booked that in January I believe before all this Coronavirus came up. It's always going to impact someone. I know you were just throwing out a date.

I hear ya though. We don't really take advantage of price reductions unless we're booked on points honestly (which isn't often at the moment) The only reason we adjusted our flight this time for the April trip is because my husband's company initially paid for the ticket. Otherwise..we wouldn't have in this case as a direct result of Coronavirus. It would be unfortunate if we let the credits expire by mid-October but we don't know for sure what our plans will be in the coming months. I should note my ticket is booked on points so we would totally go for adjusting that one since we'll get those points back regardless.

Sorry didn't mean for this to become a longer thing here. I think we're all feeling the anxiety and stress this is all causing :flower3::grouphug:

Yes, Alaska Air has changed their policy and now offers fee-free changes (and cancellations, they say, but I don't know how that works - I'm guessing they would issue a travel credit for the amount) for any flight through March 31, regardless of when it was booked. This is a very recent change.

You are just guessing, you have no proof. There's always a chance you get the later numbers. A is not guaranteed, even if it happened every other time.

of course I have no proof. They don’t tell you those things. It was an educated guess however based on much experience. The odds of buying tickets as soon as they were posted for sale with early bird and getting a B boarding group is small. To have it happen on the only flight that I modified to get a lower price is more evidence. But I never said I had proof. I never said A was guaranteed but how many people that pay for early bird as soon as southwest posts flights get a B position? I would say not many. I know there are classes of fares That bump early bird down but still that’s my opinion and I am sorry you don’t like it

Yes, Alaska Air has changed their policy and now offers fee-free changes (and cancellations, they say, but I don't know how that works - I'm guessing they would issue a travel credit for the amount) for any flight through March 31, regardless of when it was booked. This is a very recent change.
Yeah I was just reading that (made me think about looking it up talking about it) which is good. Looks like they have an update on their website dated today. They say they'll deposit it into "My Account" wallet or an e-mail certificate but they don't mention what restrictions there would be on them and normally places, if there is no restriction, they often make a point to say that but who knows ya know.

Preparing for the next set of flights being released tomorrow. Is there a way to see the Low Fare Calendar on the app? Historically the new flights are available there first. I couldn't find it on the app but wondering if I was just looking in the wrong places?

Also waiting for tomorrow! Fingers crossed for good deals coming from West Coast to WDW for late September :jumping1::jumping1:

Preparing for the next set of flights being released tomorrow. Is there a way to see the Low Fare Calendar on the app? Historically the new flights are available there first. I couldn't find it on the app but wondering if I was just looking in the wrong places?

This is good to know! I learned something new today. 💡

Anxiously awaiting the schedule opening tomorrow. I was even up super early today, because of my dog, and checked then because sometimes they change the release date a little bit, yes? Is it ever earlier than stated, or only later than the projected date? We’ll be booking on points to catch our Mickey Boat in October, just in case we have to cancel!

Folks are really excited about opening day. Honestly, I've never bothered myself, I rarely plan trips that far out.
Are they really THAT much cheaper on opening day?
I mean, I find flights for $49 just a month or two out. Will I find them cheaper tomorrow?
I'm looking but only because I need to pick between legacy airlines and SW for a flight I need for August. I prefer legacy because I can fly from home but it will depend on how cheap the SW flights are tomorrow. The legacy flights are pretty cheap right now and I'm hoping it's under my $200 threshold difference so we can fly from home instead of driving 2 hours.

Folks are really excited about opening day. Honestly, I've never bothered myself, I rarely plan trips that far out.
I mean, I find flights for $49 just a month or two out. Will I find them cheaper tomorrow?
I'm looking but only because I need to pick between legacy airlines and SW for a flight I need for August. I prefer legacy because I can fly from home but it will depend on how cheap the SW flights are tomorrow. The legacy flights are pretty cheap right now and I'm hoping it's under my $200 threshold difference so we can fly from home instead of driving 2 hours.
I think it depends on a lot of factors. For me, I've always got the cheapest prices on opening day. This is for pittsburgh to orlando usually on a Saturday. So it's a popular route on a popular day for travel. If you can play around with dates/times or use different airports then I can see that people can score cheap prices during the sales. I booked opening day for end of July and the price hasn't come down and the return is over $100 more than it was opening day.

In the past, the initial tickets have been cheaper from California. Also important to me is the time so yeah, excited to give SW my $$

Does anyone have experience with whether it is easier to book flights on the app or the website? I have to work tomorrow so need to discreetly try to book flights. LOL

Does anyone have experience with whether it is easier to book flights on the app or the website? I have to work tomorrow so need to discreetly try to book flights. LOL

personally I find it easier on the app. I put my cities in ahead of time and then use recent search to fill it in and just change to my dates. It seems like I have to try a few times opening day before flights are loaded so that makes it faster. It probably isn’t much different though really. I have to be covert at work tomorrow too

I’ll use my phone but open the website rather than the app as historically flights are available on the low fare calendar first and that is only available on the full website.

sadly flights are going to cost us more tomorrow as the Canadian dollar is dropping like a stone right now. Thankfully it’s only 2 flights I need to pay for tomorrow and I’m not having to pay off our entire trip yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter