Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Got a strange question that I'm not sure how else to find the answer to. Maybe some folks here know
It's not a normal set of circumstances I'm sure. Most people check in within the same time zone as the flight.
DGD is flying in on Southwest on a flight that departs her local time at 5:00 AM. Which is 8:00 my time.
I am the one that will check her in to her flight on the app. Will I do it at 8:00 AM my time? That's what logic tells me but now I'm confused on how it reads time for check in. I get up early but not THAT early, LOL

yes, 24 hours from wherever the flight departs.

Got a strange question that I'm not sure how else to find the answer to. Maybe some folks here know
It's not a normal set of circumstances I'm sure. Most people check in within the same time zone as the flight.
DGD is flying in on Southwest on a flight that departs her local time at 5:00 AM. Which is 8:00 my time.
I am the one that will check her in to her flight on the app. Will I do it at 8:00 AM my time? That's what logic tells me but now I'm confused on how it reads time for check in. I get up early but not THAT early, LOL
Check-in is always based on departure time from departure city. So, if someone is departing from Chicago at 10:00 a.m. CDT, but the person doing the online check-in is in Boston, the person in Boston will start check-in at 11:00 a.m., EDT, 24 hours in advance of scheduled departure.

yes, 24 hours from wherever the flight departs.
Check-in is always based on departure time from departure city. So, if someone is departing from Chicago at 10:00 a.m. CDT, but the person doing the online check-in is in Boston, the person in Boston will start check-in at 11:00 a.m., EDT, 24 hours in advance of scheduled departure.
Thanks. That's what I thought but then I really started to doubt myself.

Keep checking your SW flights. I've checked multiple times today...no change. Just checked again, flight dropped $11.00....another credit! Every little bit helps:).

Just remember that every time you take a credit, you move to the back of the line if you've purchased EBCI.

It sounds like I might have been mistaken. I certainly hope so!

Last edited:
Just remember that every time you take a credit, you move to the back of the line if you've purchased EBCI.
That is not true. An EBCI "line" is based on when you bought EBCI. We always buy our seats when the schedule is released and we purchase EBCI then also. I've taken credits like crazy and still end up with A boarding groups....usually A30 and down....or up...I guess it depends on how you look at it:). There is no downside to purchasing tickets early and then stalk price drops.

That is not true. An EBCI "line" is based on when you bought EBCI. We always buy our seats when the schedule is released and we purchase EBCI then also. I've taken credits like crazy and still end up with A boarding groups....usually A30 and down....or up...I guess it depends on how you look at it:). There is no downside to purchasing tickets early and then stalk price drops.

Hmm... that certainly goes against what others have told me and others here. I always weigh the size of the credit against the idea of losing my place in line. I'd be thrilled if I had been either misinformed or just not understanding what I thought I was reading.

I found one example from earlier in this thread:

You should be fine. A couple of things:

1. Book your fights as early as possible, usually available around 7 or 8am. Add EBCI immediately. This is easy if your are all,on the reservation. If you need to do everyone separately, book EBCI as you do each one. Your boarding position depends on when you purchase EBCI. A few minutes can make a difference. Since you will not have consecutive numbers have an adult board with each charge taking place in line with the higher number. Also you can use each other’s passes.

2. Do not take advantage of price decreases or make any other changes. Your place in line for EBCI will be placed at the of th line. We did this do my husbands’s Thicket and he went fro A23 to B32

Have a great trip.

Also remember that all credits are tied to when you originally booked that first ticket earning a credit. I used a previous credit when originally purchasing my tickets for next month. I have now re-booked my trip several times over the last week to receive a new credit but the expiration date is based on the expiration date of the credit I originally used when booking this ticket last year. Therefore, these current credits expire in May for me so I likely won't be able to use them.

I understood this to be the case if you switched flights but the case you showed above is the only time I've ever heard of it happening if you take advantage of a price drop on the same flight you were originally booked on.

Also remember that all credits are tied to when you originally booked that first ticket earning a credit. I used a previous credit when originally purchasing my tickets for next month. I have now re-booked my trip several times over the last week to receive a new credit but the expiration date is based on the expiration date of the credit I originally used when booking this ticket last year. Therefore, these current credits expire in May for me so I likely won't be able to use them.
Yes, I agree. I made that mistake too, forgetting the actual expiration date. I had amassed almost $100.00 in credits and wasn't able to use them. This trip, I made sure to wait to purchase our tickets so that any credits wouldn't expire until 1 day after our NEXT trip ends...if that makes sense....:).

I understood this to be the case if you switched flights but the case you showed above is the only time I've ever heard of it happening if you take advantage of a price drop on the same flight you were originally booked on.
That's how I understood it too but I think what happens (from what I've read) the ECBI mysteriously drops off even during a price change. So it has to be reinstated. If it sticks (for lack of better words) then it's fine. If it doesn't, if you have to have them reinstate it, then you go to the back of the line. It doesn't always drop off, so it's hit and miss. To me, it's just another good reason NOT to purchase it. I've just never needed it, I am always able to check in at 24 hours and we've always sat together, even though we don't care if we do or don't.

That's how I understood it too but I think what happens (from what I've read) the ECBI mysteriously drops off even during a price change. So it has to be reinstated. If it sticks (for lack of better words) then it's fine. If it doesn't, if you have to have them reinstate it, then you go to the back of the line. To me, it's just another good reason NOT to purchase it. I've just never needed it, I am always able to check in at 24 hours and we've always sat together, even though we don't care if we do or don't.
Agree. Each time I've changed to get a credit, it always sez on the bottom of the change confirmation that EBCI is fine and already paid for.

Hmm... that certainly goes against what others have told me and others here. I always weigh the size of the credit against the idea of losing my place in line. I'd be thrilled if I had been either misinformed or just not understanding what I thought I was reading.
Maybe I've just been lucky? I don't know...cuz each time I've changed to get a credit, the confirmation sez EBCI is fine as it's already been paid for. Sure would like to see something in writing explaining the whole change flight for a price change only/EBCI going with, etc.

Well a year and a half or so ago we purchased flights opening day and early bird at that time. We modified to get a price cut and didn’t change anything else. We were split with boarding numbers - my daughter was A60 and I was B1. My early bird was still there but obviously we dropped way down the list. We have never been worse than A35and 36 on any other flight. I have to believe modifying for the price cut hurt my boarding position with early bird

Well a year and a half or so ago we purchased flights opening day and early bird at that time. We modified to get a price cut and didn’t change anything else. We were split with boarding numbers - my daughter was A60 and I was B1. My early bird was still there but obviously we dropped way down the list. We have never been worse than A35and 36 on any other flight. I have to believe modifying for the price cut hurt my boarding position with early bird
You are just guessing, you have no proof. There's always a chance you get the later numbers. A is not guaranteed, even if it happened every other time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter