Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

They didn't shrink the allowance, it's the same as it's always been. It must fit completely underneath the seat in front of you. What has changed is the smallest dimension of the underseat area. With adding the power outlets and other changes, Southwest finally got around to updating their website and CoC to match what's actually on the planes. It's been known for years that there is less space under the aisle seat than there is under the window seat.

If you're on a connecting flight and you have something gate checked, you will pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. Valet checking, where you pick it up on the jetway is only done for I believe strollers and wheelchairs on Southwest.
AHH! Now I understand why my daughter's bag (same bag) always seemed to fit better under her seat (middle or window) then mine did...it's because I am ALWAYS in an aisle seat. I thought I was just stuffing mine too full or something because it didn't appear that there was anything under the seat. Now I know I wasn't hallucinating. We flew Delta once and I panicked because there was all sorts of electronic equipment mounted under the seats (Comfort+) and our bags were really sticking out a LOT. I thought for sure the FA was going to make us check them and we only had a 35 minute connection in DTW so I was super-worried...fortunately, they did not notice and we used them as footrests. I did not know about all the stuff under the Delta seats or I would not have used those bags.

Looks like Same Day Standby is free for all fares, however Same Day Change would incur a fare difference charge with Wanna Get Away fares, the other fares are free though.
Do A listers incur a same day change fare difference if they have WGA fares?

On a lighter note than my last post…I will be flying back in on the plane my sister will then be flying out on. This route shares the crew in and out. What would be a fun trick for them to play on her? I have no imagination.

Will we have any issues getting a window seat during family boarding on an afternoon flight back from MCO? We're using a car seat and I'm a bit worried.

Will we have any issues getting a window seat during family boarding on an afternoon flight back from MCO? We're using a car seat and I'm a bit worried.

I’ve seen people “hang around” the family boarding area up to an hour before the flight. Get to the gate early so you can be near the front of the family boarding line & you’ll be fine. And I’d do it for both flights. Of course each city & flight is different. But I’ve taken 5:30, 6 & 7 am flights out of Buffalo that are totally full. Every seat full. So a 6 am flight is just as likely to be full as a 2 pm flight.

I’ve seen people “hang around” the family boarding area up to an hour before the flight. Get to the gate early so you can be near the front of the family boarding line & you’ll be fine. And I’d do it for both flights. Of course each city & flight is different. But I’ve taken 5:30, 6 & 7 am flights out of Buffalo that are totally full. Every seat full. So a 6 am flight is just as likely to be full as a 2 pm flight.
I’m just going off my last flight years ago, we had no problem finding seats together and were, I think in late A-mid B? We’re planning on arriving at our home airport two hours early so I’m not so worried.

The return flight we have no control over when we get to the airport since we’re using Mears.

If we get on and there are no window seats, what happens? Would an FA ask if anyone is willing to move or would I have to do that?

That's what I thought. I'm not worried about our first flight since it's at 6am but I'm worried about the 2:20pm flight home. I'm assuming it will be fairly full.
I always fly the first SWA flight of the day no matter where I’m traveling. For the last three years, 99% of my flights have been completely full, so don’t discount a 6am flight, especially to MCO, as being a leisurely boarding experience.

I’m just going off my last flight years ago, we had no problem finding seats together and were, I think in late A-mid B? We’re planning on arriving at our home airport two hours early so I’m not so worried.

The return flight we have no control over when we get to the airport since we’re using Mears.

If we get on and there are no window seats, what happens? Would an FA ask if anyone is willing to move or would I have to do that?

If you board with family boarding, you’ll have no trouble getting a window seat. I’ve never heard a request for someone to move for a family needing a window seat for a car seat. The only situation I can see a problem is if you have a connecting flight that is delayed & you’re one of the last boarding.

If you’re concerned about Mears not getting you to the airport early enough, just tell them a flight time about a half hour before your actual flight, so you get picked up earlier. I do it all the time with a private car service. We’re 2 adults with TSA Precheck, but we prefer to be at the airport earlier & not stress about traffic or delayed driver. So I always just give a flight time about 20 minutes before our actual flight. That way you‘ll be there in plenty of time to make family boarding.

If you board with family boarding, you’ll have no trouble getting a window seat. I’ve never heard a request for someone to move for a family needing a window seat for a car seat. The only situation I can see a problem is if you have a connecting flight that is delayed & you’re one of the last boarding.

If you’re concerned about Mears not getting you to the airport early enough, just tell them a flight time about a half hour before your actual flight, so you get picked up earlier. I do it all the time with a private car service. We’re 2 adults with TSA Precheck, but we prefer to be at the airport earlier & not stress about traffic or delayed driver. So I always just give a flight time about 20 minutes before our actual flight. That way you‘ll be there in plenty of time to make family boarding.
They are both direct flights, that’s why we decided on Southwest. No one else had direct flights from our airport 🙄 That’s a good idea about giving an earlier time, I may call and change that. We also have pre check so that should help. I just worry because I haven’t flown much and this is our first trip with a child. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter