Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

If I check in for a flight which includes a connection (same locator number, different flight number), will I get an advantage for the boarding group for the connecting flight?

That's what I thought. I'm not worried about our first flight since it's at 6am but I'm worried about the 2:20pm flight home. I'm assuming it will be fairly full.
I agree with others both can be full. It should be Family Boarding that you'd be using and I would just plan to be there early enough with pre-check that should make things easier too on you. I can't say I've seen or heard of issues with seating with a car seat on SWA flights.

I'd try to check in early enough to get an A boarding pass and then you don't even need to wait until family boarding.
That's everyone's goal but most of us have seen that A's are dwindling. It's not like before where you just check in at T-24. With A-list, Anytime Fares getting checked in ahead plus those on A-listers reservation also getting checked in ahead, companions as well, even purchasing EBCI has been more netting people B's. So unfortunately just checking in early is outdated advice these days. They'd still want to do that but odds are they'll be more in the B's. Would be great if they got A's but in the very real likelihood that they don't Family Boarding it is.

Hence the TRY.
That's everyone's goal but most of us have seen that A's are dwindling. It's not like before where you just check in at T-24. With A-list, Anytime Fares getting checked in ahead plus those on A-listers reservation also getting checked in ahead, companions as well, even purchasing EBCI has been more netting people B's. So unfortunately just checking in early is outdated advice these days. They'd still want to do that but odds are they'll be more in the B's. Would be great if they got A's but in the very real likelihood that they don't Family Boarding it is.
Hence my use of of the word TRY. Since every other post was just "oh, you'll probably be fine with family boarding", it seemed that an obvious option (again to TRY) was being totally ignored. I know that some people who use family boarding say that they rely on that and don't bother worrying about checking in early.

Getting to the airport early, while good for reducing overall stress, doesn't really help with finding a seat on a full flight if your boarding position is late and/or the plane is full (other than reducing the risk that you miss your boarding position).

Hence the TRY.

Hence my use of of the word TRY. Since every other post was just "oh, you'll probably be fine with family boarding", it seemed that an obvious option (again to TRY) was being totally ignored. I know that some people who use family boarding say that they rely on that and don't bother worrying about checking in early.

Getting to the airport early, while good for reducing overall stress, doesn't really help with finding a seat on a full flight if your boarding position is late and/or the plane is full (other than reducing the risk that you miss your boarding position).
Well I think that's honestly because that goes without saying on this thread. Meaning check in as early as you can. But in the past that would have actually been more likely to net you that A group.

The conversation started as a response to a poster saying they could pre-board. Yes of course check in at T-24, unless you have one of the ways to get automatic check in, but prepare for using Family Boarding as that is much more likely these days than getting an A group without automatic check in. I'd love to find out if over time the selling out or unavailable to purchase EBCI on certain days, routes, times actually helps with that.

We are loyal SWA flyers, but I must give a small Word of warning from a personal experience on a SWA a few years with a carseat. We had used the little “pumpkin seat” holder and carseat base on tons of flights without any issues when our daughter was tiny.

Once she switched to the full size carseat, we had issues with our model fitting on the southwest plane. Even though the measurements said it should fit and everything we researched said that it should work, unfortunately, it was still too big and didn’t fit. We squeezed and secured it in the seat, but once we put our daughter in it, she didn’t have any room for her legs and feet. One flight attendant was kind and tried to help, but the other was not. We ended up gate checking it.

Not trying to add more stress for you, just encouraging you to double check all measurements with the car seat and airplane.

We are loyal SWA flyers, but I must give a small Word of warning from a personal experience on a SWA a few years with a carseat. We had used the little “pumpkin seat” holder and carseat base on tons of flights without any issues when our daughter was tiny.

Once she switched to the full size carseat, we had issues with our model fitting on the southwest plane. Even though the measurements said it should fit and everything we researched said that it should work, unfortunately, it was still too big and didn’t fit. We squeezed and secured it in the seat, but once we put our daughter in it, she didn’t have any room for her legs and feet. One flight attendant was kind and tried to help, but the other was not. We ended up gate checking it.

Not trying to add more stress for you, just encouraging you to double check all measurements with the car seat and airplane.
If it doesn’t fit she is technically big enough for the seat, I just think she will be more comfortable and better behaved with a car seat since it’s familiar. We picked up a cosco scenera next at a consignment sale purely because it was one of two seats I’ve found that should fit, so hopefully it will work 🙂

Now that the new policy is in place, has anyone been prevented from adding EBCI to flights? I'm curious how extensive this policy change will be (frequent occurrence? only happens on holidays? etc) and I figured there are plenty of us in here who could check and see. My 3 upcoming flights all still have the option to add Early Bird, but they are also not particularly popular times to travel and the prices have gone down a couple times since opening day, so I'm assuming they aren't high demand flights.

If it doesn’t fit she is technically big enough for the seat, I just think she will be more comfortable and better behaved with a car seat since it’s familiar. We picked up a cosco scenera next at a consignment sale purely because it was one of two seats I’ve found that should fit, so hopefully it will work 🙂
The Cosco Scenera is a great, lightweight travel seat and we've used it many times on Southwest with no issues. You will be fine!

Now that the new policy is in place, has anyone been prevented from adding EBCI to flights? I'm curious how extensive this policy change will be (frequent occurrence? only happens on holidays? etc) and I figured there are plenty of us in here who could check and see. My 3 upcoming flights all still have the option to add Early Bird, but they are also not particularly popular times to travel and the prices have gone down a couple times since opening day, so I'm assuming they aren't high demand flights.
I booked PIT- MCO for February 6, I was offered EBCI for $20.

Quick question. With EBCI I don't have to check in right at the 24hr mark right? I just looked(our flight is at 11am tomorrow) and I had to hit "check in" to get my boarding group and we got B20-22 with EBCI purchase purchased back in Feb. Seems crazy to me.
Just an update to my own post. We flew home last night. Another sold out flight bought ebci same time as my first flight and got A38-40. Drastic difference between the 2 and back to what we have always received.

Also first full open row was 18. The amount of pre boards was insane.

For those with late November and early December flights, you may want to check your pricing. Our flight from BWI to MCO went down 1,400 points each and our flight from MCO to BWI went down $18 each. This is the third price decrease for the flight down (Tuesday) and first for the return (Saturday).

For those with late November and early December flights, you may want to check your pricing. Our flight from BWI to MCO went down 1,400 points each and our flight from MCO to BWI went down $18 each. This is the third price decrease for the flight down (Tuesday) and first for the return (Saturday).
Have definitely seen a lot of movement on my early December (Weds to Sun) flights since opening day. Currently, tickets are on sale for another 5 points per ticket less than my current price, but I've decided making a fourth change for about $0.20 is a bit much, even for me. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter