Prayers for Bobby

rpmdfw

<font color=red>I feel similarly about the cha-cha
A friend of mine just sent me this link. It's the trailer for a made-for-TV movie adaptation of the book "Prayers for Bobby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVcTCpKx3g

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/movies/prayers-bobby

I think it's a prime example of how harmful the statements of religious people who condemn homosexuality can be.

I'll be watching this movie and spreading the word to everyone I know. It's a powerful story, and it needs to be heard.

Looks like a powerful movie, thanks for passin' on the info.

Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Sigourney Weaver stars in this emotional true story about a 1970s religious suburban housewife and mother who struggles to accept her young son Bobby being gay. What happens to Bobby is tragic and causes Mary to question her faith; ultimately this mom changes her views in ways that she never could have imagined. Also starring: Ryan Kelley (Mean Creek), Henry Czerny (The Tudors), Dan Butler (Frasier) and Susan Ruttan (LA Law), Austin Nichols (John From Cincinnati), Carly Schoreder (Mean Creek), Scott Bailey (Guiding Light) and newcomers Shannon Eagen and Rebecca Louise Miller. Based on the book “Prayers for Bobby” by Leroy Aarons.
Premieres January 24 at 9 pm et/pt

Lifetime

Wow......typing through tears this morning, that was powerful. I will never understand people condemning people for who they love. I had this discussion recently with one of my daughters after we went to see the Candlelight processional....she asked me why would Neil Patrick Harris participate in a religious program when religion bashes gays.... so then Mike and I had this discussion, he pointed out to me that not all religions do that. I am horrified that the church that I have belonged to my whole life is one that does this....

I guess I am not a good Catholic.... because I will never agree with the church on their stance about homosexuality.. never. Nevermind, I am pro choice.. Guess I am going you no where.

Thanks for posting this, I will be watching this movie with a huge box of tissues....

Wow, that got me teary-eyed at work!

Hey, someone was asking about gay Disney movies, and I think this fits the bill nicely.

I guess I am not a good Catholic.... because I will never agree with the church on their stance about homosexuality.. never. Nevermind, I am pro choice.. Guess I am going you no where.

Mackey, you may want to check out this organization (especially since they are based in Boston). I don't really know much about them, but, I have known many Catholics who believe their church is wrong on this issue.

My own church has many members who call themselves ex-Catholics and/or recovering-Catholics. While I appreciate that they have been personally hurt by their experiences within their prior church experiences and are following their own calling to find a safer space, I worry sometimes that if everyone leaves communities when they disagree then there is nobody to push for change.

Either way, I appreciate that you have developed your own view as an engaged being rather than blindly following (and, in my own religious views, I believe that God appreciates engagement over following as well).

Just wanted to remind everyone that "Prayers For Bobby" will be premiering on Lifetime on Saturday!

Spread the word!

Also typing through tears after watching the preview... My cousin committed suicide many years ago because of this. Does anyone know if there is an alternate way to see this movie? I do not have cable/satellite. Short of going to a friend's house... is there a way to see it on the internet at the time? (I am not computer savy- it was all I could do to get the inauguration on!).

Another person here typing through tears. There are no words...I will try my best to watch this movie, although I don't have satellite...I WILL watch it.

I'm super excited about this movie, too! A recent (maybe even the most recent) issue of The Advocate has Sigourney Weaver on the cover and a big piece about this film including an interview members of the real-life family upon whose experiences the book is based. Bobby's mother's candor is really something.

I'm really excited and our DVR is set, too, because this story is very important to me. This book came out the shortly after I came out of the closet to my parents (my father is retired Air Force and is a full time Southern Baptist minister) and I asked my mom to read this book...and it had a big impact. I have a fantastic relationship with my parents some 14 years later.....and, in fact, in addition to just having great parents and a really strong bond....I credit three things with really helping re-frame our relationship into what it is today:
1.) the book "Prayers for Bobby"
2.) the song "We're Okay" by Levi Kreis (which is my and my mother's official song to which we will undoubtedly dance at my wedding when NY finally legalizes same-sex marriage.....I consider myself fortunate to count Levi as my friend----and if you're not familiar with him or his music, look him up...he's fantastic!)
3.) the relationship my parents have forged with my partner

So my mom and I will be watching this film together on Saturday night....even though we're hundreds of miles apart!

angel-fly.gif
God knows I'm going to watch
angel-6.gif

I'll try, but I honestly don't know if I'll be able to watch this. It's going to be way to emotional for me. I can't even get through the commercials. :(

I think it is something that must be shown, and I hope that everyone who can will watch it, but somehow I'll bet those who need to watch it the most, won't. :(

Pessimistic today. Excuse me. :(

... I hope that everyone who can will watch it, but somehow I'll bet those who need to watch it the most, won't. :(

That's the sad part. The hard-hearted people out there who most need to hear the message sent by this movie are simply not going to watch it. The rest of us will be crying our hearts out because we feel the message too much.

I'm afraid I'm skipping it. I know myself too well, and I would become an emotional wreck. For nothing. :guilty:

Wow.

Just finished watching it.

It was really good.

Really REALLY good.

And of course, I cried. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter