Pre trip report - 70 days to go... update 5/4 -Last entry

MimitoAlex

Mouseketeer
So I thought about it and decided to start my pre-report now.

We have made some solid decisions.

First - after looking at and talking about everything we wanted to do we came to the realization that we are going to have to have a second trip to Japan. There is sooo much that we want to do. This trip will consist of Tokyo Disney and Tokyo.

Hilton Tokyo bay with breakfast for our time at TDR, I have a bunch of hotel points waiting to post so that I can see if we can get a night or two at no charge.

In looking at Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas - We came up with 1 day at Disneyland and 2 days at Disney Seas. DH and I are not rope drop people, nor do we tour anything in commando mode.

We also decided on private car to and from the airport, and most likely to change hotels.

Once we move to Tokyo there are a lot of guided tours that we have found. That really interest us. So that is still to be determined. I have lots of feelers out to different guides right now.

Team Lab Planets is at the top of must do list. A friend said we would want to bring shorts to change into, due to the water...Can anyone explain this to me?

We are leaning on staying in Shibuya. We got couple of different hotel recommendations from some friends so I am checking that out, and next week will make the hotel reservations. Has anyone stayed at the Tokyo Hilton? hows the location?

I pulled out my travel gear tote, and took inventory and made a list of things that we need. Must have a list so that if I'm out and can take a look to see if there is something that I need. No running around last minute to try to find something.

Our flight leaves at 6:05 am and here in Orlando the airport is so busy at this time with all park folks pouring in and we are trying to decide if we want to stay at the airport hotel to be able to sleep a little longer. So I have to check on the rates for that.

Suggestion for noise cancelling head phones. ?

As always I appreciate any help, suggestions or ideas.. :thumbsup2 pixiedust::thanks:

So I thought about it and decided to start my pre-report now.

We have made some solid decisions.

First - after looking at and talking about everything we wanted to do we came to the realization that we are going to have to have a second trip to Japan. There is sooo much that we want to do. This trip will consist of Tokyo Disney and Tokyo.

Hilton Tokyo bay with breakfast for our time at TDR, I have a bunch of hotel points waiting to post so that I can see if we can get a night or two at no charge.

In looking at Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas - We came up with 1 day at Disneyland and 2 days at Disney Seas. DH and I are not rope drop people, nor do we tour anything in commando mode.

We also decided on private car to and from the airport, and most likely to change hotels.

Once we move to Tokyo there are a lot of guided tours that we have found. That really interest us. So that is still to be determined. I have lots of feelers out to different guides right now.

Team Lab Planets is at the top of must do list. A friend said we would want to bring shorts to change into, due to the water...Can anyone explain this to me?

We are leaning on staying in Shibuya. We got couple of different hotel recommendations from some friends so I am checking that out, and next week will make the hotel reservations. Has anyone stayed at the Tokyo Hilton? hows the location?

I pulled out my travel gear tote, and took inventory and made a list of things that we need. Must have a list so that if I'm out and can take a look to see if there is something that I need. No running around last minute to try to find something.

Our flight leaves at 6:05 am and here in Orlando the airport is so busy at this time with all park folks pouring in and we are trying to decide if we want to stay at the airport hotel to be able to sleep a little longer. So I have to check on the rates for that.

Suggestion for noise cancelling head phones. ?

As always I appreciate any help, suggestions or ideas.. :thumbsup2 pixiedust::thanks:

There are a couple parts of teamLab Planets that are in water. You actually take off your shoes right at the entrance and go barefoot. We went in winter and all wore pants, just rolled them up. It was fine. Don't wear a skirt without something underneath since some floors are mirrors.

There are some credit cards that will give you Hilton Gold status and you can get free breakfast for 2.

I haven't stayed at the Tokyo Hilton but know where it is. It's in a good spot but it really depends on what you're planning to do. It's relatively easy to walk to Shinjuku station and then quickly get to Shibuya where the big Disney Store is, Harajuku with a lot of food places, etc.

But if your itinerary was just TeamLab Planets and Tokyo Disneyland, I would instead stay at the Hilton in Odaiba which is much closer to TeamLab Planets and then take the free hotel shuttle to Tokyo Disneyland where you can take the monorail one stop over to Bayside station to the Hilton Tokyo Bay. The views there can be very nice if you get a room facing across the water towards the Rainbow Bridge.

If you don't live close to Orlando airport, I would definitely consider the Hyatt Regency for an early morning flight.

For noise cancelling headphones, get the newest Bose over ear headphones. Bluetooth won't work with the plane's audio system so in ear won't work and tech reviewers looking at specs sometimes place Sony sets above Bose but I have never found Sony's headphones equivalent in terms of noise cancelling. Even if on paper, the noise cancelling is equivalent, the microphone placement means that Sony only gets that amount of noise cancelling when the sound is coming from certain very specific angles while Bose can get more consistent noise cancelling even when you turn your head.

If you only care about noise cancelling, Bose. If you want good quality audio (listening to music, movies) with noise cancelling then Sony.

I use'd the latest QC-IIs on our trip in December for most things, but..... if you're on Delta, you'll need an adapter as they still use the two jack system. I also used a set of AirPods Pro for my iPad.

I use'd the latest QC-IIs on our trip in December for most things, but..... if you're on Delta, you'll need an adapter as they still use the two jack system. I also used a set of AirPods Pro for my iPad.

I'm totally tech challenged... We are on Delta what do I need?

I may be wrong, but I believe the two jack system is only used on Premium Select and above.
Just a cheap "airplane headphone adapter" should work. Has one normal looking 3.5mm input and two 3.5mm output prongs.

I may be wrong, but I believe the two jack system is only used on Premium Select and above.
Just a cheap "airplane headphone adapter" should work. Has one normal looking 3.5mm input and two 3.5mm output prongs.

We are sitting in Premium Select... so will this work?

I need some type of picture... ?

Good luck planning! I have stayed at both the Hilton Tokyo Bay and Hilton Odaiba, and both are lovely, but we preferred by a large margin the Hilton Odaiba. That being said, my last trip in November, 2022 was at neither Hilton, and my upcoming one this November is including Hilton Tokyo Bay, and the Super Hotel I stayed at last year. I'm saying all this to let you know that there's a boatload of good hotels in the Tokyo area (which in my world includes Chiba and Kanagawa). I wouldn't stress too much about which hotel. Each will have its own plusses and minuses.

Op here ... 65 days to go...

Lets see...

I booked our hotels...

For Tokyo Disney - We are staying at Hilton Tokyo Bay, in King Celebrio Park view including breakfast. They had a offer of if you pay for 1 night with taxes and fees, you got a reduced price... can be canceled up to 3 days before arrival. The price was less than just reg Hilton honors rate for that type of room..

In Tokyo - I did a ton of surfing around, and got some reference from friends that have been there. We did narrow down we wanted to stay in Shibuya early on. We are staying at Cerulean Tower, Executive Superior King Non-smoking high floor, which included access to the Executive Lounge, with includes Breakfast, Tea, and evening Cocktails. I was surprised to find the best deal on Expedia. Running the numbers it was the best deal by far.

I had to buy another piece of luggage. We needed a new large checked bag. So that's off the list.

Just starting to look for noise canceling head phone, I'm making DH go with me...

I picked up 2 converts to plug everything into, now I have to find my mini extension cords.

Now I need to find to travel fans, I want one that plug in, and battery. As well I want a stand, not the stroller clip style.
Suggestions.

As well everyone keeps saying we need a JR pass? I know that if we decided to go to Kyoto we will get one for the bullet train, and that makes sense. If we decide to skip Kyoto, my thought was we would be okay with just a Sucia card... Thoughts?

So I feel like I made some headway so far...

As always Thanks for all the suggestion, and help... I appreciate it. :worship: :thanks: pixiedust:

As well everyone keeps saying we need a JR pass? I know that if we decided to go to Kyoto we will get one for the bullet train, and that makes sense. If we decide to skip Kyoto, my thought was we would be okay with just a Sucia card... Thoughts?

If you stay in Tokyo, you definitely don't need the JR pass. A roundtrip to Kyoto is approaching break even. Then it depends on what local JR trains you'll be taking. Keep in mind that you can't take the fastest Nozomi shinkansen trains with the JR pass. You can use this calculator to see if it's worth it for you. Link

We've been to Japan 3 times as adults and never gotten the JR pass. Once we stayed around Tokyo. Twice we flew into Tokyo and out of Osaka.

If you stay in Tokyo, you definitely don't need the JR pass. A roundtrip to Kyoto is approaching break even. Then it depends on what local JR trains you'll be taking. Keep in mind that you can't take the fastest Nozomi shinkansen trains with the JR pass. You can use this calculator to see if it's worth it for you. Link

We've been to Japan 3 times as adults and never gotten the JR pass. Once we stayed around Tokyo. Twice we flew into Tokyo and out of Osaka.

Oh Thanks for this tip...

I was looking at a private day tour that goes from Tokyo to Kyoto and back in one day hotel pick up and drops off at Hotel again at the end of the day, around 15 hours is the tour. It show that the Nozomi is the one we would take as its the fastest one.

As well I'm not sure if I'm reading what is the expected to cost,
Its like 350.00 for the tour,
then any bus or trains or taxi which we expected,
cost of Nozomi for the 2 of us,
lunch for us and the tour guide again which we expected,
Then it states we have to pay for Nozomi for the tour guide as well.. plus the basic rate for the tip, which I'm not sure what that is..
and that we are to pay him in cash for everything but the tour itself which goes to the company when booking.

We have used other tour companies in other area of the world. We always pay for the guides lunch which is customary pretty much everywhere. As well a couple of time we paid for the price of a taxi to get from place to place, like it was raining or we spent to much in a museum, which is again okay. What has raised a question for me is paying for the Nozomi for the guide, and the tipping part.... as well as paying him in cash... thoughts?.
My friends said that we should most likely pay for ourselves but not the guides bullet trains seat. The the company should be covering it. Other wise that would be like 900.00 US just for the train ride, then the fee for the tour company 350.00, Lunch, bus, train or taxi, and then the basic tip rate which is it 20% like here in the US...

Anyone have any thoughts on this. Just trying to get a handle on how it works.

Last edited:
Oh Thanks for this tip...

I was looking at a private day tour that goes from Tokyo to Kyoto and back in one day hotel pick up and drops off at Hotel again at the end of the day, around 15 hours is the tour. It show that the Nozomi is the one we would take as its the fastest one.

As well I'm not sure if I'm reading what is the expected to cost,
Its like 350.00 for the tour,
then any bus or trains or taxi which we expected,
cost of Nozomi for the 2 of us,
lunch for us and the tour guide again which we expected,
Then it states we have to pay for Nozomi for the tour guide as well.. plus the basic rate for the tip, which I'm not sure what that is..
and that we are to pay him in cash for everything but the tour itself which goes to the company when booking.

We have used other tour companies in other area of the world. We always pay for the guides lunch which is customary pretty much everywhere. As well a couple of time we paid for the price of a taxi to get from place to place, like it was raining or we spent to much in a museum, which is again okay. What has raised a question for me is paying for the Nozomi for the guide, and the tipping part.... as well as paying him in cash... thoughts?.
My friends said that we should most likely pay for ourselves but not the guides bullet trains seat. The the company should be covering it. Other wise that would be like 900.00 US just for the train ride, then the fee for the tour company 350.00, Lunch, bus, train or taxi, and then the basic tip rate which is it 20% like here in the US...

Anyone have any thoughts on this. Just trying to get a handle on how it works.

You should message the tour company to clarify what you are expected to pay. Paying cash for charges that come up during a tour is normal but what a tour covers will vary.

If your tour was not arranged by an American company, please don't tip the tour guide as it can lead to an awkward cultural interaction. Years ago, no tour guides in Japan ever expected a tip but as Americans keep insisting on tipping, it's starting to create an "American tax" on travel as tour guides from some companies that primarily cater to English speaking tourists start to expect tips from Americans but not from people of other nationalities.

You should message the tour company to clarify what you are expected to pay. Paying cash for charges that come up during a tour is normal but what a tour covers will vary.

If your tour was not arranged by an American company, please don't tip the tour guide as it can lead to an awkward cultural interaction. Years ago, no tour guides in Japan ever expected a tip but as Americans keep insisting on tipping, it's starting to create an "American tax" on travel as tour guides from some companies that primarily cater to English speaking tourists start to expect tips from Americans but not from people of other nationalities.

I'm looking at a couple of site, Get your guide, Tours with locals, and the likes..
I got a response from the one guide last night, he basically said, 350.00 to the company when booking, that he can set his own price so then 900.00 US whatever that works out to in Yen for the Nozomi bullet train. Then we pay for us and him, any extra such bus, local train or taxi, lunch and snacks through out the day. Then of course any shopping or souvenirs that we want.

I asked my friend about tipping they have a son and daughter in law that are expat's, living in Japan they have been there for around 8 years. She said that for tipping there are not really any set rules.
She said that they tipped the bellman in the hotels, and the taxi drivers, and the private car services drivers to and from the airport runs.
In restaurants the high end ones tipping is expected, yet local spots you don't tip, and never at the street food stalls. She did say that at TDR and the hotels that surround them housekeeping, bellman, servers in the restaurant, all expect Americans to tip.

So any help you can give me on this I would totally appreciate.

I'm looking at a couple of site, Get your guide, Tours with locals, and the likes..
I got a response from the one guide last night, he basically said, 350.00 to the company when booking, that he can set his own price so then 900.00 US whatever that works out to in Yen for the Nozomi bullet train. Then we pay for us and him, any extra such bus, local train or taxi, lunch and snacks through out the day. Then of course any shopping or souvenirs that we want.

I asked my friend about tipping they have a son and daughter in law that are expat's, living in Japan they have been there for around 8 years. She said that for tipping there are not really any set rules.
She said that they tipped the bellman in the hotels, and the taxi drivers, and the private car services drivers to and from the airport runs.
In restaurants the high end ones tipping is expected, yet local spots you don't tip, and never at the street food stalls. She did say that at TDR and the hotels that surround them housekeeping, bellman, servers in the restaurant, all expect Americans to tip.

So any help you can give me on this I would totally appreciate.

At high end restaurants, there is a service charge that's added to your bill. I would not tip in any of those other circumstances. In fact, one of my favorite things about traveling in Japan is that there is no tipping culture. No worrying about when/how much to tip or having small bills anytime someone handles my luggage.

To back up my point, here's a good article, among many if you google tipping in Japan. Link

I've only booked reserved seats in Shinkansen, but I believe you still have to get a separate ticket even for non-reserved seats so you can't just walk through the turnstiles with your Suica.

That seems wrong, maybe they just never let go of their tipping habits...
From what I've read, the only normal times to tip in Japan are for high-end Ryokans (and you need to follow certain traditions like getting the correct kind of envelope, using fresh bills with no creases), and tour guides. I've never given a tip when I've been there, even for bell services at TDR. (I used bell services with my Japanese friend, and he didn't tip or anything)

I've sent a question to my Japanese friends to ask, just to make sure. Will post response.

I've only booked reserved seats in Shinkansen, but I believe you still have to get a separate ticket even for non-reserved seats so you can't just walk through the turnstiles with your Suica.

That seems wrong, maybe they just never let go of their tipping habits...
From what I've read, the only normal times to tip in Japan are for high-end Ryokans (and you need to follow certain traditions like getting the correct kind of envelope, using fresh bills with no creases), and tour guides. I've never given a tip when I've been there, even for bell services at TDR. (I used bell services with my Japanese friend, and he didn't tip or anything)

I've sent a question to my Japanese friends to ask, just to make sure. Will post response.

You can just walk through the turnstiles with a Suica but that's not advised as shinkansen tickets cost a lot of money so you can run out on your card and also lose out on all those credit card points. Suica and non-reserved seats are treated the same and buying a non-reserved ticket is my preference when departing a major station like Tokyo and Shin-Osaka because you can just get on any train. If departing a middle of the road station like Shin-Yokohama, a reserved seat is advised as the non-reserved car can get crowded.

You only tip tour guides if it is a tour arranged by a company that caters primarily to American tourists. For this reason, I now avoid tours only bookable on English websites and primarily book tours through Japanese, Taiwanese and Hong Kong companies where nobody tips. It actually annoys me that Americans keep insisting on tipping which leads some service people to see if I tip after I show an American passport while friends I travel with using other passports never have a service person pause the same way.

I'd say it is acceptable to tip a bell person at a Western hotel chain and private car service arranged on an English website but it shouldn't ever be expected. In pretty much every other situation, you'd become the topic of a dinner conversation about silly Americans. I think the high end ryokan thing is confusing because foreigners are unlikely to stay in such a place anyway and the ryokans they do visit won't expect it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter