Pre trip report - 70 days to go... update 5/4 -Last entry

Still up in the air about Kyoto, we both really want to go, yet to much in Tokyo. I do have a question, my friend told me not to buy tickets for the bullet trains on line, to wait and till we get there, due to the fact that the site's double the price of the seats? She said that they waited and bought tickets in the train station and they were half of what the sites would have charged? anyone any thoughts on this? true or false...

Maybe she used a third party site? Pretty sure booking through the official site online is the same price. I did that and found it fairly easy. I even changed our reservation the day before online. I did the QR tickets and that was the only thing I found slightly confusing - finding the right gates that can scan those. Link

Not sure about Team Lab Planets, I really want to check it out, Dh said it looks cool. Our friends went not long ago, and she liked it, except for the water, and her DH was not impressed at all. Plus they said there is nothing else around it to do, or see? Thoughts?

TeamLab is close to the new location of the fish market. I would have gone there to eat if they weren't closed for New Year's. It's also in the same direction as Odaiba if you wanted to go there.

100% recommend TeamLab Planets. We enjoyed it. We got 9 am tickets to beat the crowds.

You can pre-purchase Shinkansen Tickets using the SmartEX App. We did this and got a discount on Green Car by purchasing 3 days in advance.

100% recommend TeamLab Planets. We enjoyed it. We got 9 am tickets to beat the crowds.

You can pre-purchase Shinkansen Tickets using the SmartEX App. We did this and got a discount on Green Car by purchasing 3 days in advance.

Oh Thanks so much, I will check it out. My DH is tall 6' 4" and I'm 5'8", and the one thing all our friends could agree on is that we must get the green car, so that we will be comfortable.

Last edited:
Maybe she used a third party site? Pretty sure booking through the official site online is the same price. I did that and found it fairly easy. I even changed our reservation the day before online. I did the QR tickets and that was the only thing I found slightly confusing - finding the right gates that can scan those. Link

TeamLab is close to the new location of the fish market. I would have gone there to eat if they weren't closed for New Year's. It's also in the same direction as Odaiba if you wanted to go there.

That great that its close to the new fish market, there are several spots for lunch that our friend recommended so we could check out Team labs early then travel over to the fish market for lunch, and then on to whatever.

OP here - just a quick up date. 11 days till flight check in... pixiedust:

How much cash do we take to exchange, I was like around 300.00 to 500.00... DH is more like 1,000.00 - Arrival and departure days plus 8 full days. Thoughts?

Car Service - I booked through Get your Guide, one way from Haneda to Hilton Tokyo Bay. We did decide to just book this car service right now, and will get the hotel to help with transportation at each location moving us to the next spot. After talking about it, we really don't want to be rushed.

I have been looking for some nicer comfortable walking shoes. I found a super cute pair of Sketchers, they are black, and kinda have a lacy look to them like really nice loafers, I did not realize that they were Sketchers at first, when I put them on... super comfy and cute... sold!

I spent some time organizing my travel folder, printing out everything. Yes I still print out everything. Which I know is not cool, yet I will tell you that the paper copy of tickets, Room reservations with room level and accompanying perks and confirmation numbers has saved us and helped things along and go much smoother. I have to make copies of passports, and DL.
My friend just got back from a trip and was pick-pocketed in Austria, they got her passport, DL, CC and 20.00 in Euro's and her make up bag. She said it was the first trip that she did not make copies, or even have the address of the US embassy. It was the Thursday before Easter, and the Embassy was going to be closed Fri, Sat, and Sun for the holiday. She said it was a nightmare. Yet someone up above was looking out for her, another American couple had been visiting a church right around the corner from the police station and the thief left everything but the cash, and make up bag. She was saved. 2 other women in the tour group where also pick-pocketed. One was out 500.00 euro's, but she had her passport, and other id and CC in a case around her neck, under her sweater. The other lady was not so lucky, they got everything, luckily she did have copies of everything back in the hotel room and on her phone.

Kyoto is still up in the air... we go back and forth daily... I think that is this is going to be right up to the last minute. I think I'm going to come up with some type of plan just in case.

I have been watching the weather, and so far it looks like jeans and short sleeve shirts with a jacket for in the evenings. Which is so strange considering its so hot and humid here. I even have started pulling things together.

I also made a list of toiletries, OTC, and some other items on off my big packing list.

Then another list of everything that I need to do in the house, clean the house, clean out fridge, get everything washed and dried, dry cleaning picked up, DH work clothes ready to go, change the sheets on the bed. All that fun stuff.

It really starting to sink in and excitement is building for sure.

For 12 day trip I brought ¥50000. It was plenty. I could have used CC most places I went.

In regards to toiletries - we stayed at 4 different hotels. Most included toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, PJ’s, slippers and other assorted things. (i.e. razors, q-tips)

When I go to Tokyo, I have my go to spots:

- Shopping for geek stuff in Akihabara, Shibuya and Nakano Broadway.

- Catch a wrestling show at Korakuen Hall. Its a great fighting sport arena and there is always an event going on.

- Walk through different gardens, like the Imperial Garden and Korakuen Gardens behind Tokyo Dome.

- Visit an amusement park outside of Disney. I went to Yomiuriland the last time and me and my wife had a blast.

If I am going to Tokyo Disney, I ride the Limousine Bus from the airport to the hotel. Decent price, fast and drops me off right at my hotel. Don't forget to use Hyperdia to go around: https://www.hyperdia.com/ . Enter the station you're leaving from and where you're going and it will guide you with the fastest or more convenient route by public transportation.

For 12 day trip I brought ¥50000. It was plenty. I could have used CC most places I went.

In regards to toiletries - we stayed at 4 different hotels. Most included toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, PJ’s, slippers and other assorted things. (i.e. razors, q-tips)

Was the 50,000 yen just for you, meaning one person?

I wish I could count on being able to use what the hotels have to offer in the way of toiletries. I have super sensitive skin, as well I'm allergic to coconut, and a lot of bath products have coconut or coconut by products in them. So I have to bring my products along. I carry my own hand soap with me pretty much everywhere, its just easier.

How much cash do we take to exchange, I was like around 300.00 to 500.00... DH is more like 1,000.00 - Arrival and departure days plus 8 full days. Thoughts?

We ended up withdrawing the equivalent of $1000 in cash for a 2 week trip, family of 4. I used credit card everywhere except for amounts less than 1000-2000 yen, because that just feels weird in Japan. Also cash for transit, except I had Suica on my phone so that was with cc (everyone else had a physical one). The only place I tried to use cc at that didn't accept it was a small store in Akihabara. There was also a store there that didn't accept metal cards for some weird reason.

In your case, I would exchange $500 at the airport and have $500 back-up. I've exchanged at Disney guest services before and the rate wasn't bad (this was before I had my no fee, no FTX ATM card). The western chain hotel rates will be a rip off.

OP here. 10 days till flight check in.

I bought " Team Lab Planets" tickets this morning. As well we are putting off Kyoto for another trip. I'm glad me finally made a decision on this.

So here is kind a rough draft of our trip so far.

Arrival Day - we are flying Delta into Haneda - landing around 1:45pm
Private car through Tours by Locals
Stop at currency exchange desk
Still need to order Wifi and extra battery for pick up at Haneda
Staying at Hilton Tokyo Bay - King Celebrio Room which includes breakfast daily.
Hopefully we will have slept on the plane and be able to check out Ikspiari and have dinner.

Day 1 - Buy Monorail pass

Tokyo Disneyland

Day 2 - Disney Seas
Dinner at Sakura

Day 3 - Disney Seas

Day 4 - Move to Hotel in Shibuya
Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Executive Superior room King, non smoking, including Breakfast.
Pick up Sucia Card and hopefully be able to get to Yoyogi park with out to much trouble or getting lost.
Plans - See Hachiko, Shibuya Scramble, Yoyogi park and Meiji Shrine

Day 5 - Private Tour Guide day - Hotel pick up, learn how to use the trains properly. Visit Tsukiji Market, Lunch sushi, Visit Asakusa - oldest temple and Shopping street, then on to Kappi-bashi Street ( kitchen ware street) then over to Tokyo Skytree, Return to hotel

Day 6 - Uneo Park and Zoo, Tokyo Museum

Day 7 - Team Lab Planets - I went with at 11:00 to 11:30 time

Day 8 - Departure day - Delta Flight out of Haneda at 4:00

Day 9 - Home sweet Home and lots and lots of sleep...

There are more things on my list, that I need to fit in. Now that I am in the process on fine tuning any help or more suggestions on what to check out would be great.

A visit to Akihabara - Yodobashi Electronic and Camera Store, Don Quijote, Finding Gundam kits for my grandson.

Shibuya Scramble Square, Tokyu Hands, Parco Shopping Building 6 floor - capcom store along with nintendo and Pokemon store, Grandson, and family and friends kiddos gifts.
Disney Store Shibuya

We plan on having dinner in Shibuya in the evenings, there are soooo many options. Yet we will see.

As well Checking out,

Harajuku - Daiso 100 yen store.

Shinjuku - Godzilla, Metropolitan Government office observation Deck 45th floor

This is a work in progress.. Thoughts or suggestions. As always are much appreciated.

We ended up withdrawing the equivalent of $1000 in cash for a 2 week trip, family of 4. I used credit card everywhere except for amounts less than 1000-2000 yen, because that just feels weird in Japan. Also cash for transit, except I had Suica on my phone so that was with cc (everyone else had a physical one). The only place I tried to use cc at that didn't accept it was a small store in Akihabara. There was also a store there that didn't accept metal cards for some weird reason.

In your case, I would exchange $500 at the airport and have $500 back-up. I've exchanged at Disney guest services before and the rate wasn't bad (this was before I had my no fee, no FTX ATM card). The western chain hotel rates will be a rip off.

So I am thinking 60,000 yen, which is 447.21 US, then the transaction fees - which who know how much that will be anyone any idea? I will keep in mind exchanging money at Disney guest services.

So I am thinking 60,000 yen, which is 447.21 US, then the transaction fees - which who know how much that will be anyone any idea? I will keep in mind exchanging money at Disney guest services.

There is no separate transaction fee. It will be whatever rate is posted at the currency exchange counter, which is less than what you see online (I think that's the interbank rate). Today is 134 yen to 1 USD, so it might be something like 130 at the airport (rough guess). Each counter will be slightly different. The last time I did this, I walked around trying to find the best rate and saved <$2. Not really worth it after a long flight lol.

I did ¥50,000 for one person. I was travelling with friends. I better exchange using noFX CC.

We accidentally ended up at the Flagship Disney Store 🤣 We were just changing trains and saw a sign, then realized we were where the store was located. We just had a random day checking out the view from the government building, Godzilla, Shibuya Scramble and the wonder cafe. We had no plan in place other than the wonder movie cafe on our first day. Other than the planned park days we winged it.

Arrival Day -<snip>
Hopefully we will have slept on the plane and be able to check out Ikspiari and have dinner. </snip>

If you are too tired to make it to Ikspiari for dinner, the Hilton Tokyo Bay has a very nice bar/lounge that (before covid) had a great little menu, including pretty legit Karaage Chicken.

If you wish to see the Shibuya Scramble from a different point of view, the nearby Shibuya Sky has a great view of the chaos. On the other hand, Shibuya Sky tickets sell out very fast. We went around 10 am for tickets and only 3 time slots were left for the day. Its a beautiful observation deck well worth the price though.

OP here, 8 Days till flight check in.

I worked on a bunch of stuff over the last 2 or 3 days. Trying to fit everything in and not crowd us, so we have time to do what we love which is just wandering around checking stuff out.

So here is the 2nd version adjustments

Arrival Day - we are flying Delta into Haneda - landing around 1:45pm
Private car through Tours by Locals
Stop at currency exchange desk - We had planned to exchange for 60,000 yen, DH said we should just get 100,000 Yen which would be 745.00 US roughly so that's what we are going to do. He really doesn't want to deal with worrying about finding a ATM, then we will keep some extra cash in case we need to exchange for more. Plus cash for when we get home airport food... and back to tipping.
Still need to order Wifi and extra battery for pick up at Haneda - Ordered and paid for, pick up at Haneda - we did get the insurance all together it was around 88.00 dollars.
Staying at Hilton Tokyo Bay - King Celebrio Room which includes breakfast daily.
Hopefully we will have slept on the plane and be able to check out Ikspiari and have dinner.

Day 1 - Buy Monorail pass ( Can you buy a Sucia card at the stations as well?) or can I use Sucia on the monorail?)
Tokyo Disneyland

Day 2 - Disney Seas
Dinner at Sakura

Day 3 - Disney Seas

Day 4 - Move to Hotel in Shibuya
Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Executive Superior room King, non smoking, including Breakfast.
hopefully be able to get to Yoyogi park with out to much trouble or getting lost. ( A friend said that you can walk to Yoyogi Park from the Scramble can this be done? to me it looks pretty far or would taking a taxi be easier?)
Plans - See Hachiko, Shibuya Scramble, Yoyogi park and Meiji Shrine

Day 5 - Private Tour Guide day - Hotel pick up, Pick up Sucia Card and learn how to use the trains properly. Visit Tsukiji Market, Lunch sushi, Visit Asakusa - Senso-ji Temple and Shopping street, then on to Kappi-bashi Street ( kitchen ware street) then over to Tokyo Skytree, Return to hotel - Still can not get a clear answer on bring home knives if we purchase them ? I know that have to go in checked bag, I just don't want any surprises when I get home.

Day 6 - Uneo Park and Zoo, Tokyo Museum, Looking at the map and if I'm reading it right we should be able to stop in Shinjuku to check it out and find Godzilla, and Not sure if the Metropolitan Government office would be open in the evening for a night view? anyone know?

Day 7 - Team Lab Planets - I went with at 11:00 to 11:30 time - then on to Akihabara to check it out - Yodobashi electronics and camera, and Don Quijote

Day 8 - Departure day - Delta Flight out of Haneda at 4:00

Day 9 - Home sweet Home and lots and lots of sleep...

There are more things on my list, that I need to fit in. Now that I am in the process on fine tuning any help or more suggestions on what to check out would be great.

A visit to Akihabara - Yodobashi Electronic and Camera Store, Don Quijote, Finding Gundam kits for my grandson.

Shibuya Scramble Square, Tokyu Hands, Parco Shopping Building 6 floor - capcom store along with nintendo and Pokemon store, Grandson, and family and friends kiddos gifts.
Disney Store Shibuya, Adding in Shibuya Sky

We plan on having dinner in Shibuya in the evenings, there are soooo many options. Yet we will see.

As well Checking out,

Harajuku - Daiso 100 yen store. Still haven't figured out where to squeeze this in? is there another Daiso 100 yen store in one of the other area we will be in?

Shinjuku - Godzilla, Metropolitan Government office observation Deck 45th floor

So I have downloaded so many app's for this trip. Expedia, Google maps, Google translate, Klook, Get your Guide, Japan Travel, Tours by locals, Disney Tokyo.
Our friends suggested a map for the trains? Haneda airport map? and there was one more map guide app, but I can not find my notes on it. Suggestions and any help would be great.

Yesterday I made a good amount of taco meat, and put in the freezer for when we get back. I have my grocery list, so we don't have to run out the store and we can really rest. I will shop on the day before we leave, double checking all the dates so we should be good to go.

Going to clean out fridge and clean the house, change the sheet on the day before we leave, yes I have to make the bed before we leave, can not come home to a unmade bed.

Started looking at our clothing, double checking making sure zippers zip, everything has buttons that should. I will start trying on outfits yes I want to look cute yet comfortable there are going to be so many pictures, narrowing down my shoes, which is a problem I love shoes, and I have issue with my feet. Still unsure of the weather, I'm keeping an eye on it daily.

As always I appreciate all the info, suggestions, and knowledge you share with me. Please keep it coming...

🙇‍♀️ :thanks:

You can use Suica on the monorail. But we still bought the 4 day pass because it was cheaper to use that vs Suica and we then had a souvenir. The machine’s have different passes - the first week we got Toy Story, the second week a 40th Anniversary one. I think you can buy Suica there too - if not at the monorail, then for sure at the JR station right next to it at Ikspiari.

I have an iPhone so I just added Suica on there, I did not get the physical card. Was easier as I could just add money as needed. (Does not work with Visa, but Mastercard works)

Harajuku - Daiso 100 yen store. Still haven't figured out where to squeeze this in? is there another Daiso 100 yen store in one of the other area we will be in?

There are Daiso stores everywhere. There's one at Ikspiari, but it was a bit small. The one in Shibuya might be convenient for you. It's near the Mega Don Quijote, as well as the Shibuya Parco.

Agree Daiso is everywhere. We ended up in at least 5 of them without trying. The Ikspiari one does not have Disney stuff.

Agree Daiso is everywhere. We ended up in at least 5 of them without trying. The Ikspiari one does not have Disney stuff.

Also, depending on the state you live in you may have some nearby. I have 3 within 20 minutes of me south of seattle and there's more if I want to drive further. I'm sure the one's in Tokyo are bigger with more stuff but I'll probably skip them in favor of shops I can't go to here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter