• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prix Fixe = BS to me.

I think of the space restaurant or BoG as more of an experience rather than a restaurant. You are paying to experience the show around you. The food is a bonus. Kind of like the firework viewing desert parties. If you like the deserts great! But you came for the fireworks.

Being disappointed that an experience (not simply a meal) has turned into something that doesn’t work for your family anymore is not at all “expecting everything to cater to you”.
Being disappointed is one thing. Complaining about it is another. And suggesting that the structure needs to change because it doesn't work for your (the collective "your" not you specifically) family, is indeed expecting to be catered to.

Being disappointed is one thing. Complaining about it is another. And suggesting that the structure needs to change because it doesn't work for your (the collective "your" not you specifically) family, is indeed expecting to be catered to.
I'm sorry but your logic is completely false: "suggesting the structure needs to be changed" and "expecting to be catered to" are entirely different and an absolutely absurd conclusion.

I'm sorry if you fail to understand the distinction. It is, indeed, more than acceptable for people to complain... and to suggest that changes be made. This board is filled with similar threads related to restaurants, theme park attractions, parking and everything under the sun.

The fact is that you have a different opinion and in an attempt to discredit those who would disagree, you decide that demeaning those whose position varies strengthens yours. Well, not. It's a just sounds like a cheap shot when you can't think of anything better.

People have a right to complain,,, and to suggest changes. Oh, by the way, if you read any of the DIS threads you will find that people suggest that things be changed because they "don't work for you"... it's the common element.

I'm sorry but your logic is completely false: "suggesting the structure needs to be changed" and "expecting to be catered to" are entirely different and an absolutely absurd conclusion.

I'm sorry if you fail to understand the distinction. It is, indeed, more than acceptable for people to complain... and to suggest that changes be made. This board is filled with similar threads related to restaurants, theme park attractions, parking and everything under the sun.

The fact is that you have a different opinion and in an attempt to discredit those who would disagree, you decide that demeaning those whose position varies strengthens yours. Well, not. It's a just sounds like a cheap shot when you can't think of anything better.

People have a right to complain,,, and to suggest changes. Oh, by the way, if you read any of the DIS threads you will find that people suggest that things be changed because they "don't work for you"... it's the common element.
Sure, everyone has a right to complain. And I have a right to think that those who are complaining sound whiny and entitled. Goes both ways.

You certainly were seeing stars after that pairing. Michelin star restaurants go as high as 3. lol.

oh haha! You’re right! That’s funny. 😂. silly me! Edited. I looked up the restaurant just to check and it was actually had a two star Michelin rating, not the very tippity top of 3, but still quite respectable.

Last edited:

Sure, everyone has a right to complain. And I have a right to think that those who are complaining sound whiny and entitled. Goes both ways.
I could as easily respond that complaining about the complainers makes you whiney and adds nothing to the actually conversation. But hopefully it makes you feel better.

Empathy can be a wonderful thing. My youngest is 35 so I've no dog in this fight as a parent, those wanting to offer their children experiences that are organized in a way that makes that extremely difficult. But I have enormous sympathy for the struggle to deal with a system that has become increasingly less flexible at costs that are becoming increasingly astronomical. I feel badly for the conversations that really good and attentive, caring parents are compelled to have and the disappointment they and their littles ones feel. I also believe that Disney could do better... it doesn't need to be that way.

So I'll complain and who knows, maybe we can have a "shrimp casserole at O'Hana" moment?

I think of the space restaurant or BoG as more of an experience rather than a restaurant. You are paying to experience the show around you. The food is a bonus.

Kind of like the firework viewing desert parties. If you like the deserts great! But you came for the fireworks.

EXACTLY! Some people can't eat desserts at all, so should they be allowed to enjoy the entertainment from comfortable seats without paying? No. They make a decision if the price is worth it based on what they take away from it.

My biggest complaint when BOG opened was the gross mistake they made in not making it prix fixe. That place cost a fortune to build and a fortune to operate and there were WAY TOO MANY guests ordering cupcakes or 4 people splitting one meal and a pastry platter. I once had a family of 3 sit behind us at Sci Fi who only ordered sodas, telling the server they were waiting on their son to arrive to order. Guess what, after an hour they "changed their minds" and left. I ate there for breakfast when it was prix fixe and I'd be fine if it went to that for all meals. It might be easier to book.

Every special restaurant needs to be prix fixe whether BOG, CRT, character meals, dinner shows, all you can eat and Space. At least with Space there is the option of the Lounge, you just can't reserve it, you have to wait. If Space weren't prix fixe it would be tables full of non-diners splitting an appetizer or dessert. That's bad business, just like BOG was.

I get that the menus don't work for everyone but it works for most. I was pretty impressed they made a very basic kids menu, not sure how much more basic it could be. And if a kid is "Disney adult" most restaurants will upsize the kids menu. I don't think they'll have any problem staying fully booked for the long term with this menu as is and prix fixe.

I have empathy. My son is disabled, there are lots of things he can't do, places he can't enter, things he'll never get to experience. There are things at Disney that just aren't compatible with his issues. That is our life and I don't expect Disney or any business to make any changes to menus, environments, booking processes etc for us. It is my job to own his experiences and make our own adjustments on our trips, and I do that often. I could spend all day complaining about things, but I'm just happy we are in a position to even go to Disney. :goodvibes

It sucks. Doubt that many people like this either but they do it to maximize profits. I am surprised BOG is still popular these days.

We just had a meal at BOG that turned us off that place forever. I had the scallops - 3 scallops and two tablespoons of Risotto. I'm not a big eater but I can't imagine this portion size would be OK for anyone who was. I'm not a fan of the Prix Fixe menu but we have the idiots to thank who go in and order one dessert for a party of 5.

We just had a meal at BOG that turned us off that place forever. I had the scallops - 3 scallops and two tablespoons of Risotto. I'm not a big eater but I can't imagine this portion size would be OK for anyone who was. I'm not a fan of the Prix Fixe menu but we have the idiots to thank who go in and order one dessert for a party of 5.
Thats too bad. I had the scallops there 2 years ago and it was tremendous and definitely a bigger portion of Risotto. Sounds like its changed. Still not on our list to return to only because there are so many other places we enjoy more.

I understand the points made here, but I vehemently disagree that all the restaurants should be prix fixe. It most certainly does not work for most people. It’s way too much food, especially for smaller people or older people. There should be options for people who can’t eat that much without feeling sick. Lounges are great, and I’m so glad they included one in the Space restaurant, but there is no lounge in BOG. Also, you can’t make a reservation at a lounge.

Way too much food. Eat what you want. Leave the rest. Eat half, or even less, of your entrée. Problem solved. Most of the price goes to themimg. Overhead and profit. Would posters be .happy if you had the option of a half sized entrée for $2 less? Skip dessert and save $1?

Last edited:
Way too much food. Eat what you want. Leave the rest. Eat half, or even less, of your entrée. Problem solved. Most of the price goes to themimg. Overhead and profit. Would posters br.happy if you had the option of a half sized entrée for $2 less? Skip dessert and save $1?

First of all, I disagree with that, just on the principal that it is a waste of resources, and also more animals are killed due to this wasteful practice. Also, it is common knowledge that psychologically, to eat less, you put less on your plate. A more full plate promotes overeating, as does the feeling of guilt over wasting food that you paid for. They should just do away with the Prix Fixe and instead institute a minimum charge, or a surcharge added if you don’t meet the minimum.

Also, the theming has long been paid for. It’s overhead, profit and wages that need to be paid for, which I’m sure they do fine on.

somebody above said that every special restaurant needs to be Prix Fixe. That is a lot of restaurants. I wasn’t talking about quick serve.
Seriously, you need not worry. That is never going to happen.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter