• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

At midnight last night, the neighborhood up the road to the north began posting that their power is fully restored. Woke up this morning to posts from the neighborhood just around the corner to the south of us - about a 5-minute walk- saying that they are back on. A lady who lives on the main road parallel to us -we can see the back of her house from our front yard - posted that she also has power this morning, as of 4 a.m. WE ARE STILL OUT IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD! Now Eversource's website says there are 264 homes without power, but their numbers have been all over the place and I don't know what the truth is anymore. Apparently if you call them, the canned response is, "We expect to be fully restored by Tuesday." Our governor has really let them have it, and the town manager sent a letter about how their response has been "appalling."

If you leave our house and go 3 houses/spaces down to the main road, there is still a tree across the road. That could be the hold up...town says the homeowner is responsible, homeowner can't or won't remove it, so now we all have to suffer.

I have some really nice steaks that thawed (but we're still mostly cold) that I put into marinade, then put the whole thing in a tub of cold water. I can't tell if they're still good...they smell like meat, so I hope so. Having DH grill them tonight with the mushrooms I'd bought. At least we have enough propane to cook through tonight. He's getting really good at it!

Please pray that we get power back today. I am seriously hanging on by a thread (mentally). I told DH that he may have to take me to a hotel tonight, just me. I need some time to myself, I am going insane here. He did ask if I wanted to go to my in-laws today, but I really can't. I love them so much, but I'd end up being on edge and taking care of them as well. I'm selfish, I don't want to visit, entertain, and/or take care of anyone else right now. I just need some time alone.

Liz, I really need a hug emoji to send you!! Stand up for yourself and know your limit. If it's time for just you in a hotel, then do it. It might be good for you and your boys to let you have time alone. Take a long hot bath/shower, fluffy bed, anything you want on the tv and order in some room service! Be lazy the next morning and don't hurry to check out. Self care is necessary in life power or not!

Hi all,

Sorry I've been gone. I didn't feel well first of the week. This endometriosis is kicking my butt, which makes me sad when I don't even have parts anymore for it. It's hard to feel healthy and whole knowing something still trying to take me over inside and little can do done for it.
Yesterday and today I worked on painting the deck rails. We had gorgeous deck built with composite wood but had wood rails installed along with it. They are finally ready for the white paint/stain trim. I am sore! It's not even that much but apparently I don't use the painting muscles in my arms much.

I hope everyone is doing well and ready to relax and have a good weekend. I'm really hoping to finish painting the deck rails this weekend and then can enjoy the pretty deck all finished. I can't believe we have been at this thread for almost 5 months now! I'm so glad for ya'll and keeping it going strong. Thank you all so much.

QOTD for 8/7: Have you ever taken a train trip?
During our second deployment, Matt had opportunity take a few weeks of leave in the middle of deployment and I had about 10 days notice to meet him in Germany. It as a great two weeks and we took several train trips across beautiful country of Germany. I would love to do it again during Oktoberfest, which oddly enough is in September.

We have done the Grand Canyon rail from Williams, AZ up to Grand Canyon. It was beautiful but long day with the train and we took the very first train out because the amount of people in the town and going up to the park.

Gratitudes:
Great phone call with an old friend of mine. It's like no time has passed every time we chat.
Beautiful weather here. Very unAugust like but sure the heat will be back.
My mom still doing well and healthy as she can be.

Blessings and peace to all.

We took a train from MA to Atlanta when I was thinking of going to Georgia Tech because it was cheaper than flying. It was awful - I didn't pee the whole way from NYC to Atlanta because the bathroom was too gross.

When I did a summer abroad in Europe we took trains all the time and they were so much nicer than my experience in the US.

Hello everyone. We got back from our trip late Wednesday. I spent all day yesterday catching up and getting food for the next few weeks. Made Enchilada's for dinner last night, and tonight is Chicken Salad Sandwiches. Also got our laundry caught up (Laundry is always the biggest chore after a trip!). Anyway, we had a great relaxing break with our cousins. I didn't even look at the news for a week, which probably helped me relax better then anything. :rolleyes1

Getting back to the real world, had to get DD registered for school. We have decided to enroll her in our school districts Online Academy for at least the first half of this school year. It is just more consistent right now. Most schools in Oregon have announce that school will be online through at least the first term/semester. Her teacher last spring was fantastic, and kept teaching, but many of the teachers are our school did very little. And it only kept her busy for about 2 hours a day. The Online Academy (HOA) is a proven program, and should involve her for 4-6 hours a day, and do actual teaching. The district is claiming that the distance learning will be better and more inclusive then it was during the spring, but I just don't trust all the teachers to follow through and be consistent. DD needs to be able to depend on her schedule and her teacher. So lots of new experiences coming in September. Even with DD at a new location, I still will be involved at her school as I am PTA President this next school year. Hard to know what we can do to help the school in this situation, but I will try.

Hope all you who live on the East Coast are doing well. I just found outlast night about the hurricane hitting much further North then was expected when I signed off. Our original trip plans had us in Washington DC through Wednesday. Kind of glad I missed that excitement. However we have started to reschedule the trip for next August. And then I read about Beirut, and wow - crazy 2020. Hopefully 2021 will be a little safer all around.

As for the QOTD - I have never taken a train trip other then a 2-4 hour adventure in the Oregon Gorge to look at beautiful scenery. I have always wanted to do one across Canada - kind of a bucket list thing. :rainbow:

I have so many books. Never seems to be enough time to read long anymore......I need a cruise!!
I'd love to go on a cruise one day, an Alaskan cruise is the only one I could get my DH on. Maybe next year for our 40th if we can get Covid under control.

Just amusement park trips or the scenic one in East Texas. A friend of mine and her husband rode a train down to San Antonio, across to CA and up to Washington to a family reunion stopping and getting off at different locations a couple of times several years ago. She said it was a blast! I'd like to take a train ride sometime.

My first week of taking care of the grandkids is over and didn't go too badly. Today was the worst, the kids are beginning to realize that mommy has started back to work. It will get better and I'm glad that the the weekend is here.

Tonight's dinner was Campbell's chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Catching out thread before it further skips down the page!

Kirby, hug, you are making precious memories for your grand-kids and also giving their parents peace of mind knowing they are safe and loved in your care. Do they like stickers? Let me know and I'd be happy to send you some for them. I enjoy using stickers to personalize cards and notes and of course in non plague times with kids at church.

Hi all. Made it safely to the beach house, which is very nice. DD and DS arrived at the same time and we arrived about 30 minutes later. I defrosted frozen spaghetti sauce and boiled noodles and got my first meal out of the way.

@apirateslifeforme, we must have passed 100 electric trucks heading north from NC up the eastern shore of VA into MD. Help is on the way.

@Meriweather , I keep a running notebook of all of my vacation trips to the Outer Banks with packing and shopping lists, various notes, trip reports, etc. Your name and address were in it so we must have been in exchange together In the past.

And get one of those cinnamon stick w/ cream cheese things at the doughnut counter:) sometimes they are still warm....yum!
I saw them but got my standby of a jelly donut. I may have to try one next time.

I’ve taken lots of train trips of varied length. The only overnight were the auto train. One northbound and 2 or 3 southbound. Had a roomette all but once we we sprung for a bed room. Really enjoyed the trip. Last year we took Alaska railroad from Anchorage to Seward. It was gorgeous. Have also gone on the short ride on the Strasburg RR several times. When I was a child my dad worked for the B&O so we took the train Baltimore to Philadelphia and back just for a ride and to eat in the dining car. And my son and I, when he was about 10, took the train from Wilmington, DE to CT to visit my brother. I’ve taken the train to NYC many times. Obviously I like the train.

Hi all. Made it safely to the beach house, which is very nice. DD and DS arrived at the same time and we arrived about 30 minutes later. I defrosted frozen spaghetti sauce and boiled noodles and got my first meal out of the way.

@Meriweather , I keep a running notebook of all of my vacation trips to the Outer Banks with packing and shopping lists, various notes, trip reports, etc. Your name and address were in it so we must have been in exchange together In the past.

Have fun!

I'm sure we have.....I did them for years and years. It was so fun. WA address?? Or AZ??

QOTD - I can only think of one train "trip" outside of local touristy train "rides", and that was, oh, around 25 years ago. I remember because it was around the time when we were trying to start our family and things had become a bit, ahem, "clinical". In other words, things had to happen at certain times and damn, sometimes it could be downright inconvenient!

So turned out that month that DH had to go to CT on a business trip at the time we needed to be together. I had just pulled a series of overnight shifts so was a bit fatigued and honestly it was the last thing I really wanted to do, lol. But we decided rather than waste a whole month that I would travel to meet DH in CT. So I think I went home and slept for a couple of hours, then headed into Boston to board an Amtrack, something I had never done before. I had no idea what I was doing and got a little lost when trying to board my train at South Station. Weird thing was, when the conductor told me I had to be one track over, we realized we knew eachother from the old neighborhood and struck up a great but somewhat rushed conversation! But I had to run to catch the right train so off I went while he was waving me off with a big smile on his face. It was sort of funny. I don't remember much else about the trip other than being really 😴 ! But it was always nice to hang with DH and I think we drove home together later.

We have thought from time to time about taking the train to FL but price-wise, two hour Southwest flights always win out when balancing time and money factors. One of my favorite local train rides is the one at Clark's Trading Post in NH where the caveman comes running out at the train! :lmao: Anyone else do that one before? I know you must've @Snowysmom . And I also liked Edaville Railroad during the holidays when the kids were little. I can't wait for grandchildren to do those things with again! (I may have to borrow a kid now that I have more time for those types of things!)

Last edited:

Yes! When 13, NJ to FL
When 16 with DMom we went from Chicago across Canada down West Coast of USA, to the Grand Canyon, and back to Chicago.

DMom wanted to instill a sense of “ what was out there” if I studied, got an education. She graduated high school, became a waitress, but never stopped learning. That summer, DDad stayed home with my younger DSis. When she turned 17 both of them took a similar trip with her. :)

By the way, we were in coach, not compartments on the train. We were with a group of about 30 people, only 6 were in coach. However, we all stayed in rooms in Banff, Lake Louise, Victoria, and the rest!!

Good Morning and Happy Saturday, everyone!

So glad you are settled in safely at the beach, Carol.

Many prayers indeed today will be MUCH better for you, apirateslifeforme and that you did take some YOU time!

:) It is so interesting to read all the train memories. I love that some of you as young kids or with your own kids have those experiences. Wonderful idea and a special way to be more present (because you are not the driver) on a road trip and see the sights with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter