Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

One other thought - I stalked the DVC site for a few days and found a 1 bedroom in HH for 5 nights last week in January.

Pretty sure it will be nicer there than here. I was also looking at Orlando/Lake Buena Vista/Vero Beach and you never know, when the time comes, depending on what Maryland weather is, I may continue south into February.

At first I had a studio booked, but I like having a kitchen. It was also the week of the 9th, which was a bit too early. If I can go end of January, then late February, I can make it back to better weather. We also have March booked and a few days in April. I don't want to move south, just skip the winter storms.
We are heading to HHI February 2, 2022. Booked it 11 months out, since I need the elevator building. We went last year as well, and enjoyed the break from NJ’s winter. We will continue to WDW.

Last edited:
Dirt sure shows up more on a brown floor than it did on a white marbly looking one, believe it or not
Good to know. We installed slightly off white tile in our house when we built it 26 years ago. It's served us well but needs an update. We're saving money for the remodel for when DD and GK's move out in a couple of years. I know I don't want a dark floor especially after your tip. I'm thinking a light to medium brown. Depends on how much money we have saved and if we change the color of our cabinets. We have milk washed ash that was so popular in the early 90's, I call them "blonde" cabinets since the term "milk wash" has changed over the years.

we just had to include my mom's even though she's no longer with us.
I love that! This year our tree skirt is from Mom’s house, as I needed a bigger one than usual since we put the tree in a different spot. It’s nice there can still be things from them around.
I've made it clear that the only gifts I want are things that will be eaten or Disney gift cards. I just can't continue to collect stuff that clutters my home and I now have a rule with clothing. If I buy new stuff, I have to donate or throw out an item to keep the amount low.
You are good! I should do the same. We have to declutter. I felt like I got a tiny bit done this week while I was going through some stuff. Have to try to keep it going. It is hard for me to get rid of things, though. 😨

When we picked out our kitchen tile I literally took a bagful of German Shepherd hair with me to the store and put some on each color. (They shed year round.) We went with the one where we could notice the hair the least! :rotfl2:It’s a medium grey, and has worked out really well. I would like to replace it some day with vinyl tile that looks like wood (since we have kids and dogs), it’s a project for the future. I did go with a darker color carpet before and regretted it as everything shows up on it. Lighter worked better. The dog I have now doesn’t shed much, so that’s been nice. We do get a lot of leaves and such in the house.

Someone asked about a vacuum yesterday. We have so many. We have two Orecks (one was Mom’s), an Electrolux canister (for the big jobs), another Sears canister vac, and I have a Shark cordless that gets the most day to day use. Biggest problem with that is that DD and DS’s girlfriend both have long hair, and it jams up the Shark so literally with every vacuuming, we have to take it apart and cut the hair that wraps around the brush part or it won’t suck, lol. There is always some sort of fly in the ointment, isn’t there? Lol

Finishing up my coffee, slept late. About to delve into the gifts. Wish me luck. 🐥

Good Morning Quackers :)

LOVE all the picture. it means a lot to get to know each of you a bit more personally through your shared photos. We can grow closer as a Quacker family that way, too :)

Big hug and prayers Kirby! So thankful it at last sounds as though custody is headed in the right direction of full placement with your DD! I love the personalized stockings! I was talking with my friend Judy yesterday wondering if there was a way to just get my name sewn somehow (remember I don't even sew a button) on my stocking. Anyone have any easy ideas or lol want to sew it on for me? Love your Nativity--simply reverent.

Paws and a hug always to Toto, dear Pea and thank you again for trying to adopt a rescue pup! I really do pray one day God-willing dad and I will be able to move and that there might also be some outdoor space for a rescue pup of our own.

I realized that there are such things as long sweatshirts and also nightgowns that are zippered. I'm probably going to try that type of non- traditional robe option just to have something warmer to wear over my long sleeve T shirt during the day. Right now it's warm in the living room because dad was cooking something in the oven but sitting here at the computer close to the hallway where the back of the apartment is, cool air is coming right on in. Grateful for the warmth, of course, there i! I loved my jersey sheets last night!

Tomorrow will be cookie day! Dad got me some Christmas print cellophane treat bags at the Dollar Tree. Since everyone including Santa :santa: likes cookies extra at Christmas, for this year, it will be a perfect way to spread extra cheer to a good 10 friends. Terri will deliver them on Monday.

I just thought of a Christmas-y QOTD based on something I've been thinking about doing this year. QOTD: Do you and your family open one gift on Christmas Eve after church or something at the end of the night? A gift from Santa type thing? We've done that sort of a couple times and might be fun to do again this year with the stocking ornament.

Happy Saturday to all!

Good to know. We installed slightly off white tile in our house when we built it 26 years ago. It's served us well but needs an update. We're saving money for the remodel for when DD and GK's move out in a couple of years. I know I don't want a dark floor especially after your tip. I'm thinking a light to medium brown. Depends on how much money we have saved and if we change the color of our cabinets. We have milk washed ash that was so popular in the early 90's, I call them "blonde" cabinets since the term "milk wash" has changed over the years.

Ours isn't dark brown..but a color called Stagecoach Hickory. It just seems that everytime I turn around, I have to pick up something,,lol.
I just got 2 more blinds put up..only 6 more to go. Was going to start on the living room ones, but the Christmas tree is in front of one of the windows and it's too much work to move it. Those will wait till after the holidays. Our kitchen windows are long skinny ones. I had to order special sized ones (like I did 18 years ago when we moved in), and they are totally different than all the rest. They clip up so that none of the clip shows. On all the others, a little bit of the silver clip shows on the front. It just started raining here,,temp is 50 but there is no wind. I doubt its going to make it to the 65 they are now saying though..lol

wondering if there was a way to just get my name sewn somehow (remember I don't even sew a button) on my stocking. Anyone have any easy ideas or lol want to sew it on for me? Love your Nativity--simply reverent.
I don’t really sew, either. I can do a button or a simple fix like a tear, but that’s about it. My dear MIL was ready and willing to teach me, but my brain always seemed so flummoxed looking at the machine that I never did learn. It didn’t help that in Home Economics in HS everyone was wearing what they made while I was still working on my pattern, omg. (Sort of ironic that I know how to save a life but couldn’t learn to sew! 😵‍💫) But what I do remember from growing up is that people used to use Elmer’s glue to ”write” a name on the stocking, and while the glue was still wet, they would put glitter on it, so that when it dried, the name was written in glitter. Maybe that would be something you could try if you can’t find a sewing solution. If the glitter comes off year to year maybe you could just reinforce it or scrape it off and start again? Just a thought!

I think I've mentioned that DH's office building, which we own, has been for sale since June, 2020. Well, he drives by every couple of days to check on it. Today he discovered that the outdoor heat pump had been totally vandalized and destroyed. Looks like parts stolen. He waited until the sheriff came to take a report. Now have to call the insurance company and get it replaced before it gets so cold that the pipes freeze. Luckily not for a few days.

@Kirby, That is a lovely nativity, And your DS's project turned out great.

QOTD: Do you and your family open one gift on Christmas Eve after church or something at the end of the night?
We have traditionally always waited until Christmas Day, or later. But this year we may have Christmas on Christmas Eve. Will still at least keep DH's gifts for Christmas. On Christmas Day it was always stockings first, then gifts.

We let the kids open a gift on Christmas Eve when they were young. We picked out the gift to open.

Younger DS and I were at the house today cleaning. I was there for a while alone. I vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, and swiffered the kitchen and bathroom. I also sorted out the Christmas decorations. That did bring alot of tears. Chris and I bought a Christmas Angel for the top of the tree when we were first married. I still have it and it is very special to me. Seeing it today made me realize that I have to find a small artificial tree to decorate next year when I have my own place. I think I will see what the after Christmas sales have. If nothing I will start looking in the Fall. It will remind me of Chris and our Christmas memories together. I also found the wreath I made and that will go up next year too. I am too sad and depressed to decorate this year but next year it may be a bit better, who knows. If not, I will just top the tree with the Angel and be done. Younger DS threw out so much stuff into the dumpster. It is about 1/3 full now. I can actually see the family room floor downstairs. It is a miracle. Our old dining room table was there with junk piled up on it. Now the table is just about clear and we can see the top of it. And we can see the floor around it. DS found 7 more cans of coins! I didn't look at them so I don't know if it is all pennies or mixed coins. The area in the laundry room is mostly cleared out too. What remains is stuff one of us will be keeping. Older DS brought 2 of his old games to his house for his kids, Hungry hungry hippos and Operation. The kids love them. Younger DS is going to bring some of his old lego sets and a couple of games to his house. His kids will love them. My kids are thinking of their Dad and how he would be happy the grandkids are playing with toys we bought their Dads. Younger DS and I had primo Italian subs for lunch. We sat and talked. It was nice. Every year Chris and I would take a day off from work and wrap gifts. For lunch we would get primo Italian subs at a local bakery/sub shop. We did that since 1994. So, today younger DS and I got the subs. Older DS does not like Italian subs. Next weekend older DS and I are talking about going out to lunch or dinner together. Chris and I went out every Friday night for date night. I miss doing that so much. It was the highlight of my week. Now at least I will have a nice dinner out with my son.

It is getting warmer here by the minute. I left my house and the temp was 42. I got to central Mass and the temp was 56. I watched the temp go up 14 degrees on my ride back to DS's house. That drive was less than an hour. It was also foggy on Route 495. Crazy weather.

Have a nice evening.

Good afternoon, friends,

Oh no! I'm sure sorry to hear that, Carol :( Much prayer you and your DH receive compensation for the damages! :) I agree to stockings first!

:hug:Snowysmom. I pray your Christmas Angel ornament will indeed bring you extra peace and joy of good memory for years to come, my friend. :) to Hungry Hippos. I remember loving that as a kid and introducing preschoolers to it as well.

Dad did very well at Target this morning. I was thankful that he got himself an extra set of Jersey sheets so now we each have 2 sets. He also found us a Christmas-y tablecloth that I'll take a picture of when we change our kitchen table to Winter. He was also able to get 8 -inch paper plates. I know that may seem strange but from searching last night, even paper plates have skyrocketed in price :( So these were a much better deal!

It's a little sunny out which I'll happily take! ☀ Working on finishing up all my mail that Terri will deliver for me on Monday.

I'll check back in later.

We always let the kids open one gift on Christmas eve. It was always a pair of pjs (prewashed and ready to wear). They would go put them on, then we'd pile in the car and go look at lights. Come home, brush teeth, put out the required cookies and milk (or eggnog), read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas', brush teeth and go to bed.

The year we moved to FL, DS was barely 4. We had just moved (arrived in FL on the 19th, went and got our licenses and car registration done on the morning of the 20th, then drove down to WDW for 3 days). Got home on the 23rd, went grocery shopping and started unloading the Pods. Put up a little tabletop tree, and let the kids open all their presents (we told DS that Santa came while we were at WDW, lol). Got to sleep in, lol. Unloaded the pod and went to the movies on the 25th.

Temp is now up to 62 and the winds have started to pick up..I hope they don't get as bad as they say. Dinner is done, dishes are done..I took a long hot bath this afternoon and did my hair. We just watched Magnum PI from last nite, and are going to watch Blue Bloods, at least till Mr L falls asleep,,then I will switch over to a Hallmark movie I was in the middle of.

Have a nice evening all

I think I've mentioned that DH's office building, which we own, has been for sale since June, 2020. Well, he drives by every couple of days to check on it. Today he discovered that the outdoor heat pump had been totally vandalized and destroyed. Looks like parts stolen. He waited until the sheriff came to take a report. Now have to call the insurance company and get it replaced before it gets so cold that the pipes freeze. Luckily not for a few days.

@Kirby, That is a lovely nativity, And your DS's project turned out great.

We have traditionally always waited until Christmas Day, or later. But this year we may have Christmas on Christmas Eve. Will still at least keep DH's gifts for Christmas. On Christmas Day it was always stockings first, then gifts.
So happy your DH is vigilant!

QOTD: Do you and your family open one gift on Christmas Eve after church or something at the end of the night?
We've always opened our gifts on Christmas morning.

Our 25 year old carpet looks pretty good this morning if I so so myself. DH decided to clean the carpet in the office and family room last night. I knew he was going to do it sometime soon but never thought that he would do it in the evening. He even cleaned our kitchen table chair cushions, the sofa arms and the ottoman where Lou Lou had written all over them with a pen. We have to watch her like a hawk sometimes.

@Breezy_Carol, around where DH works, people are always stealing things for scrap metals because they can get money for them. On Mondays things are always torn apart. How awful. Stinks to have to deal with right before Christmas.

@Bianca and Bernard, where did you move from before you landed in FL? Your holidays sound nice!

@Snowysmom, sounds like you’re really making some progress in your house. Your boys sound very caring and loving!

QOTD: Yes, we always opened one present on XMas Eve when the kids were growing up, and even before we had kids. Our holidays tended to be unconventional a lot of the time, though, due to our work schedules. DH and I both had to work holidays over the years, so we made it work however we could, and the kids got used to it. Funny that they are now in the same boat, but none of us really mind, the important part is being together and we always manage to work it out when we can within our own family and with extended family. This year DD, DS and I are all working Christmas, so we’ll celebrate on the 26th. I don’t think we’ll open a present on Christmas Eve this year because we won’t all be home, but on Sunday we’ll have plenty of time to relax and enjoy the day with a nice dinner and plenty of presents to open.

Today (well, yesterday now) was a whirlwind! In gathering all of our gifts to take inventory, we wound up doing a lot of sorting and cleaning in Mom’s apartment, where we had our presents stored. We literally went through everything in both the living room and bedroom, and I tackled some old supplies in the bedroom closet, though I had cleaned it out before so it felt good seeing that it was mostly under control. After the holidays I can fairly easily finish what needs to be done in there, I think, so that felt good.

Around mid-afternoon we had everything laid out and decided to wrap quickly. So we got that done in a couple of hours. (We cheated a little, but that’s ok, lol.) Once that was done, we heated up some leftovers, straightened up, and went out locally to pick up a few gifts we still needed. We were surprised that some of the stores we went to had closed at 7pm when they used to be open till 9pm, but we figured help might be a problem this year. Still, unbelievable two weeks before Christmas that stores would close early. We managed to find what we needed at one store that did stay open late, and then did a quick grocery order, came home and put everything away as well as wrapped the last few things we’d bought, changed, and poured that glass of wine I’d promised myself! :goodvibes I think it was almost 10pm by the time we finally sat down. And then we promptly lost power! 😬 So we sat in candlelight for a while and waited for DS to get home from work, it was actually pretty peaceful. Power came back on around midnight. I think there was a fire or something up the street from what DS saw coming home, so they must’ve shut it down on purpose.

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday. 🐣 We have some fun family things planned, I hope the weather cooperates.

@Bianca and Bernard, where did you move from before you landed in FL? Your holidays sound nice!

Let's see..going forward
Colorado (19 years)
California (6 months)
Colorado (8 years)
Northen Nevada (3 years)
Arizona (2 years)
Southern Nevada (4 years)
Florida (14 years)

For DH, it's the same, except his starts Georgia, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Georgia, for his first 19 years; then Colorado.

Good morning all. At least the winds are gone..we lost power briefly around 8 last nite, thankfully it didn't stay off too long.
Wow @Bianca and Bernard, you have lived in a lot of places..for me it's just 2--MA and MD lol!
@Pea-n-Me you got a lot accomplished yesterday, good job!
@Kirby Gold star to your hubby for cleaning the carpets and the furniture!

Going to put the corned beef in the crockpot around 10 for dinner tonite. Might take a run up to Ollies as we need a few things, other than that, its football widow day for me. Might take out the puzzle I started last Dec and finally get that finished, lol

Have a nice Sunday all

R (3).jpg

When I was growing up, Santa (my dzadzie) always visited us on Christmas Eve. That’s when we opened our presents. He was the skinniest Santa ever. Once my Dsis stopped believing we had moved away and we opened presents on Christmas morning.

Thats what we did with our Children. Everything opened on Christmas morning!

Today we travel to Bordentown NJ to have lunch with a friend who became a widow in October. She lives in NC, but is up with her son through Christmas. We had been unable to travel for the funeral. We will be having our own Memorial Mass for Jack in February when we travel to NC and have a Mass said in Jack’s Memory and we will attend that with her. For today, it’s to see and hug Joyce and to spend time with our good friend.

Last edited:
When we picked out our kitchen tile I literally took a bagful of German Shepherd hair with me to the store and put some on each color. (They shed year round.) We went with the one where we could notice the hair the least!

That is great!! 😆 (And something I would totally do too!)

We do. It was a tradition from my family growing up, and one of the things that we kept when we blended DH's favorite memories and mine to create traditions for DS. Most years, it would be something that had come in the mail - so a present from a far-away relative that DS had been eyeing under the tree for a while. But for a few years when the kids in our current neighborhood were little, one house had a Christmas Eve party. All the parents would sneak one small present to the hostess ahead of time, and Santa would deliver them at the party by leaving a big bag on the porch. There was always some clue that he had done so - bells, I think, and the kids loved it!

Good morning.

Have been to church. Now home for football and not much else planned.

Re: taking dog hair to look at flooring. I didn't do that but did take Fiesta Ware when looking for a new dishwasher a few years back, which was a good thing. They are thicker than, say, Corelle. I was looking at a Bosch and the Fiesta Ware plates wouldn't fit. Good thing I checked before buying.

Based on what @Bianca and Bernard said, I have a new ....

QOTD - How many states or locations have you lived in?

I have lived in two different counties in Maryland for all of my life except the 4 years of college I was in New York state.

Have a good day everyone. Go Ravens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter