Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Back from Longwood. It was a nice trip. Different looking at things in the daylight. Then we went to lunch at Purebread Deli which was very good. Now I think I will make some cookie dough and bake some cookies to freeze for Christmas.

@Biance and Bernard, your credit card got a work out. How generous of you to donate all those toys and food. I also have Fiesta Ware dishes in 8 different colors. DH got them for me as a Christmas gift 10-15 years ago. And I have a Shark vacuum cleaner

And @sweetpeama, just wow.

Another user of a Shark vacuum after using a Panasonic for years..and I love it!

Well said.

I've found myself at the end of my work day with more work day left, if that makes sense:tilt:, that is to say I've caught up on my paperwork and even cleaned my office, a miracle itself in that I can see my desktop again! But we've got a solid hour left here so I thought I'd pop on the DIS for a bit. I found Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas on Amazon Prime, so that was a win. My BIL put Disney + on our TV but we couldn't find it on there. If you are a fan of the old school Muppets and haven't seen it, I highly recommend it ESPECIALLY the outtakes at the end.

we found the dvd at Dollar General last year, for $4.99 and bought a copy for each of the grandkids,,even though they are teenagers, most of them never saw the movie, and we thought they would like it!

The sun has come out here, and it's shining bright although there are clouds in the distance. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 & rain in the afternoon while Sunday is supposed to be 48 and cold. Maryland always has such fun weather as it transitions from season to season.

Isn't it nuts? Almost the middle of Dec and warm weather. We got to 58 today, but it was gray and cloudy most of the afternoon. They say 66 and rain here,,with a high wind advisory. You are right..MD weather is such fun>>>NOT!

I ordered (almost all) the seafood we needed for the holiday from my seafood gal, she'll deliver it next week. The rest I'll pick up as needed. As it stands right now, youngest & girlfriend will be home for the weekend prior to Christmas. BIL & SIL & niece will pop over early Christmas Eve afternoon for a bit after brunch with SIL's folks. They'll stay a hour or two, and then my husband and I will have a quiet Christmas Eve to ourselves. Christmas Day eldest and girlfriend will come over late morning or mid day to spend the afternoon and have dinner. The 27th & 28th youngest will be back home for his traditional Christmas meal of roast duck, as he asked me to make crab bisque the weekend he brings his girlfriend over. I'm going to try my best not to make to much food, I usually do and I want to get better at making the right amount, not way to much. I need to draw up some menus & lists and get myself in order for a proper grocery shop soon I suppose. We have zero plans for the New Years Eve, which is the same plan I make every year! We don't go out or stay up or anything. By that time I'm done entertaining haha!

mmmm duck..I haven't had that in ages. Mr L does not like it..I might just get myself one the next time I am in Aldi's!

I think dinner will be the last of the stuffed peppers from the freezer for my husband, and I'm not sure what for me. We usually eat the same thing but I'm not a fan of stuffed peppers. Tomorrow we will still be out so I think we will indulge in a late lunch.

Not a fan of peppers in any form. Stepson was telling us last week, that his partner can't even stand the smell of them. He and the girls had them for lunch one day not long ago..she came home from work about 6 hours later..walked in and said ewww..you had baked peppers..lol..

I think I'll go down to the kitchen area and take out the trash. Have a nice afternoon everyone!

“we found the dvd at Dollar General last year, for $4.99 and bought a copy for each of the grandkids,,even though they are teenagers, most of them never saw the movie, and we thought they would like it!”

Ha ha yes well we actually have it on DVD as well, but we don’t have a DVD player anymore! Or if we do it’s packed away under dust at the top of some closet

Lovely holiday pictures.

I am not putting up decorations this year. No one would see them at the house anyway but my heart is not in it. DS has his tree up and lights outside. It is even hard to drive by Christmas tree lots near my house as we would always get our tree at one of them. Tomorrow at the house I am going to go through the Christmas ornament box and save most of the stuff. The box itself is so old it is falling apart. I will take a picture and then it will have to go. I have 2 new storage containers for the Christmas decorations. The lights will be going too so I will take a picture of those too. I told the kids that next year they need to take ornaments that are their ornaments from years past. I don't know what next year holds but I will decide on decorating or not when the holidays come around again. I will save the wreath I made as it is my favorite decoration. That will go up next year as I really do like it.

Today after work I decided to go window shopping at a couple of stores nearby. I went to Home Sense and TJ Maxx. Home Sense was not well laid out. I was looking to see if they had some nice items for when I have my own place. I did not see what I wanted but I only stayed in the store 10 minutes. It was hard to get around and very disorganized. I did buy a roll of beautiful green foil wrapping paper with Merry Christmas embossed on it and a bag of caramel popcorn. That is my treat. TJ Maxx was a mob scene so I left after about 2 minutes. I went to Wegman's and got a couple of bagels; my favorite pumpernickel and Chris favorite Jalapeno cheddar, raspberries, a half loaf of cranberry orange bread, deli turkey, and a cookie. It was my day for treats I guess. It just seemed like what I wanted at the moment so I did it. I will spread out the treats over several days.

Have a nice evening.

Great pictures everyone! :)

Sweetpeama, no words, just another "wow," and ITA with all the other posts! Concerned about you. Much prayer.

Still trying to find some cute ornaments without glitter! I'd love to find a cute teddy bear as a surprise for dad (he really likes his stuffed bear) and/or something just for him...or better maybe a mini something for both of us to go along with the bigger stocking ornament. Not finding much that has no glitter which is a must. I'll keep looking. Please keep the suggestions coming :)

The robe just came and is terrible :( It weighs almost as much as I do--well not quite but it is SO heavy. It's like an Afghan blanket material, very weird. It goes back to a UPS store so we get a full refund and I go back to the drawing board. Oh well :(

Have a good evening everyone with love.

The robe just came and is terrible :( It weighs almost as much as I do--well not quite but it is SO heavy. It's like an Afghan blanket material, very weird. It goes back to a UPS store so we get a full refund and I go back to the drawing board. Oh well :(

Have you tried Vermont Country Store? - They are pricier but tend to have things others don't.

I did not add it to my last post as I had planned on posting last night but ended up falling asleep before I could get it posted. This is my tree in 2011 which is one of the last pictures I can find. I had to go onto facebook to find them as thanks to having computers crash on me I seem to be missing a number of pictures that I know should be on flashdrives but no idea which one has a number of them. I thought I had downloaded a bunch of them from photobucket when they were going to start charging so I could switch them to another account but obviously they are not on this computer. Maybe on my other one that has a charge port that is not stable so it doesn't charge when you think it is and ends up going to battery and then runs down fast. Anyways you can see even at that point how worn out the tree we had was. 2011ChristmasTreeTop.jpg2011ChristmasTreeMiddle.jpg2011ChristmasTreeBottom.jpg

Wow. I'm only going to comment on this...No one needs to straighten the 16 year old out but the parents. It's mom and dad's job, not the neighbors or friends or pastors job. If the 16 year old wants to be rude and a pain in the behind, then the 16 year old can get herself back and forth to work. At 16, they are not completely helpless, and they should be adult enough to realize that other people have feelings and things to do as well, and should be mindful of that, and grateful for things done for them.

DH and I had a time, where the kids seemed to be getting between us (as a couple). We had to sit down and work some issues out. Love for kids is not the same as the love for a significant other, and neither should be a competition; and if someone is feeling that way, then it's time to sit down with the other and have some serious talks. If that doesn't work, then therapy should be the next step.

If no one else wants to help put up decorations, then you can do it however you like, and if they don't like it, that's their problem. Do what you can, do what you want, and the rest of them can go suck a lemon.

My biggest problem is DH and his catoring to 16 year old's whims and desires. That is where talking with our former pastor that passed away wife comes in because he will listen to her and I know that she will not gossip things around but she will also be honest with both of us including pointing out where I might be at fault.

Physically I can only do so much by myself and since I don't get help in even picking things up and just generally cleaning it makes it hard to be able to get any decorating done. I have informed 16 year old that she has to spend at least 1.5-2 hours before she goes to work tommorrow (Saturday) evening helping clean the main rooms upstairs. Once we get things picked up including the pile of boxes from shipments that DH needs to go through and decide which ones go in the this will work for putting gifts in to wrap them as well as the ones that will work at least for temporary storage. Those need to go to the basement and the rest need to be broken down and added to the garbage bin on trash day as there is room before he takes it over in the early morning hours between when he gets home from work and trash is picked up. It is just under 1/10 of a mile to where our trash is picked up from the house so we move the bins from the houses as well as the one from the shop either the night before or sometime in the morning. Otherwise since it is in an open area we run the risk of having all 5 wheel bins being knocked over if we have some of our strong winds come up. DH takes ours over usually between 3:30 and 5 am, brother ok honestly I think it's now nephew takes theirs and gets the shop one if my dad hasn't about 6:30 am, Dad takes my parents house and I honestly think he goes over and gets my sister's from in her garage around 5:30/6 though sometimes sister is out getting hers over. If I happen to be awake early enough I hear the garbage truck coming down the road just past our house to go into the private property subdivision just past us about 7:45 in the morning on trash day so ours pick up time is 7:35/7:40 though we are told have trash out by 7 am. Hence the times that we take our trash bins over to have the least amount of risk of the wind blowing them over but still make pick up time. Once things are sorted into smaller containers: papers that I need to save and file at some point, various game and puzzle pieces along with other small items that I need to sort a bit more than I get one out at a time with 14 year olds help and sort that one a bit more until things are put up where I want everything. Since she is the one who decided one day to dump all the game and puzzle boxes she can help get that finally cleaned up. It has only taken a few years with everything going on around here. I had just given up on getting things done for a while because of pure exhaustion and she was faster than I was. Hence almost every room and closet door got replaced with ones that can lock now. I needed something that could keep my youngest out of the closets when I went to the bathroom. With her special needs one of the issues we deal with is times that she seems to be able to survive on little to no sleep-mama can not do that so there would be times I would not hear her get up especially since she is quiet and instead of hearing the giggling and the scraping of a chair across the floor to get in an upper cupboard that most kids do when they are small. She would just pick up the chair and be very selth and get what she wanted. My mom would have such a fit at me about don't you hear her do this stuff and you need to turn down your music and pay more attention. Until she actually caught now 14 year old at around 4 years old pick up one of her heavier than mine kitchen chairs and carry it over to a cupboard because she wanted the chocolate to make chocolate milk. Then it was does she do that at home. Yes she does all the time which is why I don't hear her. Ideally we should have had a camera system set up with monitors at least hooked up to a corner of my laptop so I could see ok kid in kitchen getting into something mom doesn't approve of. That and a false ceiling with a keyed pully system of storage bins that can be raised and lowered into the ceiling complete with a hidden panel on the wall. Sadly my real futuristic house was not in the budget.

As far as 16 year old getting back and forth to work on her own because she does not have her drivers license and we do not live in town or where there are even sidewalks until about 2 miles from our house if we required her to walk to and from work the 6.5 miles each way we would be quickly investigated by child services. We do want her to get her drivers license and both DH and I plan to take her out driving once she studies for and passes the written test to get her permit. Once that is done than 6 months after that date she can get her restricted license. The restrictions are for the first 6 months only 1 unrelated passenger unless acompanied by someone over 21 years of age and then it goes up to 3 for the next 6 months. In MT you can get a learners permit at 14 years 6 months of age if you take driver's ed but she missed it by 2 weeks to take the class the summer she was 14 and then we looked at her taking one that fall but because we technically are not in that school district she got bumped from a spot which worked out good because we had the transmission go out on the vehicle I could drive leaving us stranded with only the car that DH could drive and for a while that one was even down so we were borrowing FIL's 2 seater standard transmission truck so DH could get back and forth to work. No way could I have gotten her to and from the classes. The plan was to have her take it in the spring that she turned 15 but between learning that it makes no difference on our insurance rates and the classes both in the district we are in and the nighboing district where I would perfer she take it ( lower cost by $100 plus that one gets the students some practice on a standard transmission as well as some night time driving. You can take outside the district you reside in but priority goes to students who reside in that district up to the last day of registration. If you do loose your spot that way they do refund the full fee) canceling the spring session due to the pandemic starting it did not get done. I did not find out that there was going to be a summer session in 2020 until the classes were already full in both districts so we gave her a choice of just studying at home and getting her permit at 15 years 6 months and then she could have taken her driving test on or just past her 16th birthday. It honestly would have made only a 3.5 week difference the way her birthday falls between her getting her license at 15 or waiting till after her 16th birthday. Of course now because there were so many kids that missed being able to take the classes and the classes are backed up with waiting lists in the 2021 legislative session it was passed that they can take the written test at 15 instead of 15 years 6 months of age without a drivers eduction course. 16 year old has been told either deal with the paper that the manual from the state is printed on and the font (she doesn't like the style) or use the blasted links to the online manual and practice tests and study for your written exam. Once she can pass the online practice test than we will have to schedule her appointment to go in and get her permit which unfortunantly may take a while. I found out through a friend trying to renew her license recently that walk in appointments have been cut from 2 hours to 30 and sometimes 20 minutes a day. My friend ended up going to a private place that charges a convience fee though we can look at going to one in a different county. I will have to do some research as to what is the better option paying the convience fee or gas money if it comes down to it. At best even if 16 year old took her writen test next week it would be mid June before she could take her road test and get her license. We do have a vehicle she can drive as well as a third vehicle (DH's gas guzzling car that gets a whopping 12 miles to the gallon even the truck does better at 17) that DH would take on the rare occasions that we need 3 of us to be able to drive. Honestly 1 Thursday night a month when I have 4-H council meeting not applicable in the months of January, July and August so 9 times a year ok 10 because of the fruit sale meeting which is always on the 2nd unless that day falls on the weekend than it is on Monday and a couple of pre family fun night meetings so back to 12 though is I can get another adult or two to take those ones I will let them do it.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone :hug: Appreciate all of you, always!

Great idea PollyannaMom and Bobbiwoz, too, thank you. I'll look into it. The reason I've been sticking with Amazon especially or even Target is because returns are easier. I appreciate always your care and ideas and YOU (all of you dear Quackers)

Extra hug, Sweetpeama.

Sweet dreams to all!

I will have to read @sweetpeamama’s post when I get comfy in bed tonight. Like the tree, Mona!

Felt like I was on a treadmill all week with a work project hanging over my head. Turned it in this afternoon so aahhh. 😅

We did manage to get the outside decorated and tree up. Tomorrow will sort through presents and see what we have left to buy. Hopefully not much. Will then just have cards to do.

Yesterday DS was off and accompanied me on an errand. We had a nice morning, wound up trying a newly opened place for lunch and we loved it and had the best time! I really cherish those moments with my loved ones!

@Easyas, the wine sounds like a great idea. Tomorrow night that might be something I do, too.

I’ve been enjoying my Yankee Candle Balsam and Cedar scent, and I bought a nice holder for myself. 🕯

Toto kept me busy, we thought maybe he had fleas as he was scratching, but no fleas anywhere with a couple of baths. Realized later that DH had bought different food from his usual when the store was out! 🤦🏻‍♀️ So another bath and some spray, back to regular food, and keeping fingers crossed. I applied for a dog and it looked like this one might be a go, but rescue thinks our house might be too busy for this dog who came from the Asian meat market 😭 which I wasn’t aware of when I applied. Poor thing is just terrified of people, apparently. Disappointing, but what can you do.

Tonight made an easy dinner of ham slices with pineapple and marmalade, and mushroom risotto. Had to also go through some of Mom’s coats for a coat drive. That was hard. We’ll drop those off tomorrow.

Have a good evening, everyone. 🐥

3DDF2C14-7669-4B19-BEED-810B6B2AE333.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm up late tonight! Been reading through several pages of posts that I've missed.

Happy belated birthday, Snowysmom.

QOTD - When you decorate your tree, do you do a theme like Disney or all gold balls, or just random ornaments.
I've never had a themed tree, always a hodge podge of ornaments that I liked. Once we had kids, then whatever they made was added along with any Hallmark ornaments that we bought or received. The kids always helped decorate and DH put the lights on until one day he stopped and we got a pre-lit tree. As time went by and I became the only tree decorator, our tree got smaller and less ornaments were put on it. Now we have a three foot tree with plastic balls that the GK's can't break. Once they move out into their own place I'm not sure I'll put up a tree at all. If I do it will be a small one that I can wrap in plastic and store away during the year. I'm not a decorator. Stockings over the fireplace and a nativity is good for me.
My sister began making our family stockings back in the 80's. All the ones with out a name is attached to someone or thing. DS's fiance is the poinsettia, she'll get one with her name once they are married. The dog and reindeer belong to DS and fiance's dogs, Mack and Ellie. The penguin belongs to DD's boyfriend and we just had to include my mom's even though she's no longer with us.

This is my favorite nativity, all one piece.

I've been slowly decluttering my home. I put all the Christmas decorations from over the years in a couple of tubs and the kids went through them last March. Anything they didn't want got donated to our local Helping Hands. So my Christmas decorations fit into a large tub.

Hope you are feeling better easyas123!

dazedx3, hope you have been able to get some sleep!

I have some good news. DD went to court on Wednesday and her ex did not receive temporary custody of the GK's. Yay! She has a court date set for next March since he filed for full custody. He doesn't have a leg to stand on, she doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, sees to their medical and dental needs, holds down a full time job and has a good support system. It's a shame that he is putting her through this.

We've had two days of 80+ degree weather but it's dropping back into the 50's tomorrow. I get to wear my Christmas shirts for a couple more days until it gets back up into the 70's again next week. I think I need to find me some short sleeve Christmas shirts. Our cold front is blowing in as I'm typing this. Guess I need to switch over to heat since it's going to be cold in the morning.

And here is DS's finished project for his fiance. He added Harry Potter flying on the broom, I can't remember what it's called.
DS says it looks better in person. His fiance took a test that determines which house you should been in and she got Ravenclaw so he tried to match up the Ravenclaw colors as best he could. You can't tell but the mountains are actually bronze colored.

Hope everyone has a good night's rest!

Last edited:
Ooops!! Was adding pictures from my phone and somehow ended up with an extra post that I can't delete.

Last edited:
Our tree is 4’ and we have collected Christmas ornaments all through our 53 years of married life. Last year I decided to use some each year and not repeat until they all have been up. So, this second year I randomly took some boxes down and in the mix were these ornaments from my sister. Both boys as they were in 1985.

We probably have at least two more years of ornaments that will be going up before we repeat. So, I am enjoying these this year!

Good morning all. They still say we will be in the 60's today, but its raining outside, and the winds are supposed to be coming in.

Already stripped and remade the bed, sheets are in dryer now, mattress cover in the washer waiting it's turn for the dryer

Swiffered the bathroom floors, waiting for Mr L to be done in the kitchen so I can vacuum and then swiffer wet jet that one. Dirt sure shows up more on a brown floor than it did on a white marbly looking one, believe it or not

Took hot dogs out to thaw for dinner tonite, made some coleslaw, and took a corned beef out to defrost for tomorrow. Trying to make it an easy weekend. Corned beef will go in the crockpot.

Have a nice Saturday morning..btw..Christmas is 2 weeks from today..eek!

R.png

Great pictures everyone! :)

Sweetpeama, no words, just another "wow," and ITA with all the other posts! Concerned about you. Much prayer.

Still trying to find some cute ornaments without glitter! I'd love to find a cute teddy bear as a surprise for dad (he really likes his stuffed bear) and/or something just for him...or better maybe a mini something for both of us to go along with the bigger stocking ornament. Not finding much that has no glitter which is a must. I'll keep looking. Please keep the suggestions coming :)

Have a good evening everyone with love.

I'm wearing my robe right now. It's similar to another I have and it is comfy and soft and I don't find it heavy at all, probably because it was so inexpensive, 11.99 after discount. I'm tempted to order the other color to have a spare in case this one gets ratty quickly.

My grandchildren are here with me. DD is out of town and SIL has a side job for the weekend. So he came with them last night, calling as he drove saying, 'they are starving and want to eat'. Well it was almost 6PM so that sounded right. I got out the bag of chicken and some fries and younger DD got home and air fried it all quickly. SIL ate chicken, toast and a huge bowl of the baked beans and then I fixed a big bowl of strawberries, blueberries and banana. When I looked everything had been eaten and SIL asked how to make the beans. He then took a bowl home for himself.

A box of fruit and treats arrived from Harry and David's from my son and wife. I've made it clear that the only gifts I want are things that will be eaten or Disney gift cards. I just can't continue to collect stuff that clutters my home and I now have a rule with clothing. If I buy new stuff, I have to donate or throw out an item to keep the amount low.

Anyway, there are pears but not ripe enough and a bunch of other stuff that I will eat and a few things the girls will love, so I will share some with them later.

Someone mentioned cranberry orange loaf. I love that and have leftover cranberries so will bake a loaf tonight or tomorrow. We do a lot of baking here, but the usual loaf is banana when it gets down to 4 left in the bunch and brown and spotted. I'll add some pecans as I bought a few pounds during my Hilton Head trip.

Well, time for a shower and to get dressed. I've lazed around with my coffee long enough and it will be warm enough for the girls to play on the swings. They've been asking since they got up at 6:30.

It's Maryland weather. If you don't like it wait 5 minutes and it will change! We are already at 58 going to 70 but it rained overnight and will rain by 5 again. There are also gale warnings for the Potomac, so later may be windy but it's quite nice out now. I've already been out (in my robe) to fill the bird feeders.

One other thought - I stalked the DVC site for a few days and found a 1 bedroom in HH for 5 nights last week in January.

Pretty sure it will be nicer there than here. I was also looking at Orlando/Lake Buena Vista/Vero Beach and you never know, when the time comes, depending on what Maryland weather is, I may continue south into February.

At first I had a studio booked, but I like having a kitchen. It was also the week of the 9th, which was a bit too early. If I can go end of January, then late February, I can make it back to better weather. We also have March booked and a few days in April. I don't want to move south, just skip the winter storms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter