Question about Counter Service meals -

PaulaMurf

If you can't be a good example, at least serve as
Do children have to order off the Childrens menu for CS also if there is one? or is that only for TS restaurants.

I tried to search the forum but cant seem to find this answer.

TIA
Paula in CT

Until the rules are changed, child and adult credits arent separated. At TS, the CM can see that it is a child ordering, and then therefore, insist that he/ she order from the kids menu, if the fam is using the ddp for the childs meal at that TS. For CS, I suspect, that many adults order childrens breakfasts (Mickey waffles anyone?) and also allow their children to order larger adult sized portions, and share, in order to save credits for later meals (ie breakfast).

Thats what I think is going on, and Im sure Ive read posts by other dis'ers doing it.The DDP rules could be changed at any time...
:grouphug:

We've used DDP twice now and you can definitely order any CS meal you want. :thumbsup2 My DM, DD6, and myself usually order 2 meals and share. It's enough food and we don't feel bad wasting it. :goodvibes

Some posters have reported not being allowed to get too many CS adult meals. Someone in another thread mentioned Columbia Harbor House in particular, and I'm thinking I saw a mention about Pinnochio Haus and Tusker House too. I believe it's within their rights to tell someone who has a card saying 2 adults, 2 kids, that they can only get 2 adult meals at one time. While the gist I'm getting from these boards is that few CMs are enforcing it, it seems that some are.

That said, the solution, since the meals are pooled together, is for Parent 1 to order 2 adult meals from one CM and then for Parent 2 to order 2 adult meals from another CM. ;)

Im curious too. I was looking at the menus to try and plan where we will eat, and my kids dont usually like the basic kids fare. I mean they will eat Chicken strips once or twice but not everyday! Any ideas on places that serve unusual kids food?

for adult meals won't like this either. However, I feel strongly that this is a whole different issue. I've been researching the menus on allears, and find that some CS places do not offer good kids' meals. If they'd serve a few adult options in kid sized servings, as they do at so many TS establishments, these issues wouldn't exist for me. However, I fully intend to order adult CS meals for my 2 "child" DDs to split. They really like wrap sandwiches, chicken salads, and rotisserie chicken so I will order those types of meals for them. If this means me and DH having to stragegize before we purchase CS meals, so be it.

3PRINCESSMOM said:
for adult meals won't like this either. However, I feel strongly that this is a whole different issue. I've been researching the menus on allears, and find that some CS places do not offer good kids' meals. If they'd serve a few adult options in kid sized servings, as they do at so many TS establishments, these issues wouldn't exist for me. However, I fully intend to order adult CS meals for my 2 "child" DDs to split. They really like wrap sandwiches, chicken salads, and rotisserie chicken so I will order those types of meals for them. If this means me and DH having to stragegize before we purchase CS meals, so be it.

And I'll be doing the same in July!

Back to the original question. If you have a card that says adult 02, child 02, the CM may not allow you to order 4 adult CS meals. However.....you can get in line and order whatever the kids want (kid meals or adult meals), and they will deduct 2 CS meals. You then sit down and supervise the kids. DH can get in line and get 2 CS meals, ordering whatever you and he want. Now, just tell me how you are going to eat all that food???

2 of us frequently split a CS meal...but in fairness, I'm not a big eater. Some meals are definitely big enough for 2, others are borderline...but 2 meals would definitely feed 3 at most places.

kcashner said:
If you have a card that says adult 02, child 02, the CM may not allow you to order 4 adult CS meals.

The CM "may not" allow it but that has not been anywhere near the NORM, yes there have been some ISOLATED reports of such restrictions but they are greatly outnumbered by examples of the CM allowing it.

But yes even if the CM does not allow it, nothing stops a person from getting back in line.

We were not "allowed" to order adult CS for DD in December at Pinocchio's, Back Lot Express, Cosmic Ray's and Columbia Harbor House.

There are two different questions being asked here. First, are you allowed to order your kid an adult meal if there is a child's mean available? No. Can you get away with it? Usually.

If your kid doesn't like what is on the Children's menu, you can always pay OOP for an adult meal and use the CS credit elsewhere.

If your kid doesn't like what is on the Children's menu, you can always pay OOP for an adult meal and use the CS credit elsewhere.

Or I can get any meal I choose to with the DDP. I will not pay OOP. As it is, the plan allows for too much food. Posters passing judgements and saying things like ..."just pay OOP" seem to ignore the biggest sin of all regarding the use of the DDP...waste! I am a hard-working, church-going, moral person! I do not need judgements made, or instructions given regarding how I should use the DDP. At some places the choices given for kids' meals are appealing at someplaces they aren't. This is what I will base my decisions on.

we were one of those "isolated reports" where the CS CM would not allow any meal configuration other than what appeared on the card... our friends travelling with us met the same fate (at a different CS)... and this was not during free dining... i'm just looking forward to my ds9 turning 10 so we no longer have this issue! LOL!

let's see... some places that offer better/different choices for kids CS meals:

flame tree has chicken wings
tusker house has drumstick meal

abc commissary has fish&chips and veggie noodle stir-fry
backlot has chilled chicken & veggies w/carrots/ranch dip, applesauce
flatbread grill has a grilled chicken wrap or chicken drumstick w/rice/beans

electric umbrellas has turkey/cheese pinwheels
liberty inn has grilled chicken on romaine w/crackers
lotus blossom has beef fried rice and egg roll
tempura kiko has chicken or shrimp tempura style w/veggies
yakitori house has terriyaki chicken
yorkshire county fish house has fish & chips

casey's has corn dog nuggets
columbia harbor has cold grilled chicken and cheese w/fruit
cosmic rays has chicken noodle soup, chicken garden salad and corn dog nuggets
pecos bills has beans & franks and chilled chicken w/carrots/celery

the resort food courts also offer kids' meals that are not standard fare (i.e. chicken nuggets, hot dog, burger, mac/cheese) such as:
all-stars offer pasta/meatball and grilled cheese, baked chicken, roast turkey
mara has rotisserie chicken
beach club marketplace offers ham/cheese wrap
everything pop offers sloppy joe, chicken noodle soup and veggie lo mein
roaring fork has bbq chicken basket

hope that helps those making dining decisions...

3PRINCESSMOM said:
Posters passing judgements and saying things like ..."just pay OOP" seem to ignore the biggest sin of all regarding the use of the DDP...waste!
Paying for your child's food OOP doesn't waste anything - it just requires you to pay for what your child eats.
I am a hard-working, church-going, moral person! I do not need judgements made,
Good for you. As far as I know, nobody has brought morals into this discussion, nor passed judgments. The OP asked a factual question - what is allowed. The factual answer is that using CP credits to get an adult meal when a child's meal is available is against the rules. Only you can decide if breaking the rule to get food without paying OOP for it fits within your church-going morals.
or instructions given regarding how I should use the DDP.
the board is all about telling people how the plan works and what options are available. One option is paying OOP. You will note my post said "you can", not "you should".
At some places the choices given for kids' meals are appealing at someplaces they aren't.
One of the great things about the plan is the flexibility of choosing where to eat.

Hey - do whatever you want with your DDP credits. Just don't go griping when people answer questions about the rules, OK?

It helps alot! I appreciate the "foot work." I have been checking out allears beginning to compile that type of info. The resort food courts do have SO many choices, don't they? The other place I we'll be trying is the Flatbread Grill at MGM.

Once again, thanks for the first hand report. :)

you're quite welcomed! of course, the hardest part for me is convincing dd/ds that they should have the turkey wrap instead of the hot dog or nuggets (again!) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter