Question For Those Who Have Rebooked A New National Reservation

cindala

<font color=blue>Must solemnly vow NEVER to toggle
In the past, the first reservation I made with National remained the best price I could get, so I never had to worry about rebooking and cancelling.

However, this year it appears that the rates get cheaper as you get closer to leaving. I remember reading that sometimes after cancelling an old National reservation, it would still show up in the computer when the car was actually checked out.

What I want to do is book now, and as the rate goes down (hopefully way down) rebook, but I was wondering about the cancelling part, and if anyone had any problems.
Any info appreciated.:teeth:

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

I cancelled reservations 2 or 3 times for my last December trip when the price went down, no problem. After I did it, I tried to call the cancelled number up and it said cancelled.

They do, indeed, show cancelled when you check online, however, often they show up as active in the National computers elsewhere. The best thing, IMHO, is to call them and have them remove the cancelled ressie. I did this about three times before my recent trip.

Gail is right! I've also called them to cancel & find it's the best way. I had cancelled some (2?) previous reservations online and when I called to check about something else, they were still showing as active. Since then I just call and make sure I only have the one active reservation that I want.

Always take your printouts with you. (A valuable lesson I learned from these boards) I have had to get a price adjustments every time we have used National. I'm not slamming them. If their prices beat the competitors or come close, I will rent from them. I really like having the freedom to go from the baggage area straight to the car, too. That is something I will pay a little extra for.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll make the reservation, and just keep hoping the price continues to drop, and then call to cancel.

From over $300 for 8 days full size, it has dropped to $238, and now $218. The closest competitor is Alamo at $211, but for $7 difference, I'd rather go with National.:):):)

For the last 4 years I've used National. I book early, check frequently, and cancel and then re-make the reservation many times before my trip.

I always cancel on the Internet and I think I called once (a couple of years ago) to be sure of what was canceled and what wasn't just because I got confused.

I have never had any problems. It won't hurt to call and confirm a cancellation, but I can't be bothered (until, of course, something goes wrong!;) )!!

I have never had any problems. It won't hurt to call and confirm a cancellation, but I can't be bothered (until, of course, something goes wrong! )!!

That is exactly why I call and cancel now, even if i cancel on line.
They did charge me the rate for a reservation I cancelled, had the confirmation number too, they were great about fixing the error, but, it was a lesson learned. :)

From over $300 for 8 days full size, it has dropped to $238, and now $218. The closest competitor is Alamo at $211, but for $7 difference, I'd rather go with National.

Just and FYI, they now share space at MCO and in the garage also, the cars are separate as is the reservation system, but, they are sister companies. Not sure I would worry about the 7.00 either, I like picking out my own car on the EA.

Okay, I booked the car! Here's hoping the price continues to inch downward!:teeth:

Decided to check National's site again today, and boy am I glad that I did!

My reservation that I booked last week at $218 just dropped to $178 (8 days full size EA all taxes inc.) Woo Hoo!!

Considering this is July 4th week, I'm thrilled! I wonder if it will drop anymore?:teeth:

Now how do I go about cancelling the other one?

I just started planning last week and already have cancelled 4 times, once because of date changes and 3 times because of rate drops. Each time, I printout ressie and print email confirmation I go back in and cancel previous ressie. I print this out as well and staple all together.
When it comes time for me to go on vacation and I'm postive I won't be changing again....cuz between now and then I know I will :teeth: ..... I will call and make sure the 20 or so :rolleyes: are out of the system and they only have the one left that I want.

Then I take them all with me....even it is a notebook full :teeth:

cindala
right where you click the make reservation box...there are other boxes...click the one that says cancel reservation...and follow instructions

Hi,
Go to Nationals main page. In the lower right hand corner in tiny print there is "view/modify/cancel" link, click on that when you get to the next screen, type in your last name and confirmation number , hit cancel. If they give you a cancellation number, be sure to either print it or write it down.
After that, I would call them and make sure it has been cancelled in their system, not just online. Really easy, I do it all the time. :)

I just wanted to send a heartfelt thank you to those who have posted! I would not have check my rate again this far out (I am leaving 7/1) but thanks to you all, I did and my car rental just went down from $480 to $332 for 2 weeks!!!!!! Goodness, that is $116 a week for a full size EA! With taxes!!!!!!!!!

Now, if I could just get SWA to cooperate!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

PDG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter