• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for Viva Italia Alumni

stultress

Earning My Ears
I have a few questions for those of you who have been on this trip in the past few months - mostly just trying to clarify some things I've read in other posts. Any feedback is appreciated!

1. Are there irons in the rooms at any of the hotels?
2. Did you receive a Disney duffel bag upon arrival in addition to the messenger bag that comes with the pre-trip materials?
3. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of being able to videotape inside museums and churches? I know there are some places that allow free reign with still cameras, some only no flash pictures, and some no pictures at all. I am assuming you can take video anywhere you can take still pictures but not in places that don't allow pictures. Can anyone confirm?
4. Is there a laundromat near the villa in Tuscany?

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but that's all I've got for now. Thanks so much!

stultress

No irons available in rooms. Some of the hotels ask you not to use travel irons also because they pull too much electricity. I took mine and did use it with no problems.

2. Did you receive a Disney duffel bag upon arrival in addition to the messenger bag that comes with the pre-trip materials?
Yes, I seem to remember receiving it in Rome before we left for Tuscany. It is my understanding that we are getting back packs this year not messenger bags. As soon as my Ireland pre-trip packet arrives I'll take a photo and post it.

3. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of being able to videotape inside museums and churches? I know there are some places that allow free reign with still cameras, some only no flash pictures, and some no pictures at all. I am assuming you can take video anywhere you can take still pictures but not in places that don't allow pictures. Can anyone confirm?

Hopefully someone else will chime in here but I remember NO PICTURES/VIDEOTAPING inside the Sistine Chapel or the Museum in Florence where the David statue is located. We took pictures in all other churches, Coliseum, etc. even in the Vatican hallways leading to the Sistine and also in St. Peter's where the Pieta is located.

Don't remember one but I didn't ask about one either. There is one in Venice.

Redzinner's answers match our experiences.

Photography and videotaping depend upon the place. Look for signs at the entrance.

To add to Redzinner's list, the Uffizi Museum in Florence does NOT allow any photography.

Re: Laundromat (lavanderia)
There is not a laundromat near the villa in Artimino. On the way to the villa, they stop at a gas station and instruct you to buy any food, snacks, wine, soda, etc. Basically, you drive up the side of a very large hill and you are in the middle of nowhere. It is scenic, but isolated.

For laundry info in Rome & Venice, you can consult this thread I posted. See Tip #5.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1843573

It's not the greatest picture, as it was taken with my phone, but this is the 2009 backpack:

2009%

Here's the link, in case the photo doesn't appear above: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qD6qRLm5p98x1wk_etAiIw?feat=directlink

Dotti

Having seen the bags for the last few years, my favorite still has to be the messenger bag. I still use it all the time. However, the one strap backpack looks really cool.

Thanks for the pic, Dotti! Any chance of getting a pic of the back (ie, show what the strap(s) look like?)

Thanks!
Sayhello

Thanks for the pic, Dotti! Any chance of getting a pic of the back (ie, show what the strap(s) look like?)

Thanks!
Sayhello

Here's a shot I took Sayhello. Just click on the picture to see more detail.

A few months back someone posted something about not carrying an ABD backpack because it announces, "Hey I'm a Tourist!". Any truth to that? Any opinions? Let me clarify that I'm not against being a tourist, but it was more that it was an invitation for pick-pockets.

I have a few questions for those of you who have been on this trip in the past few months - mostly just trying to clarify some things I've read in other posts. Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but that's all I've got for now. Thanks so much!

stultress

If you look up the websites for each church / museum it will give you the information on photos and videos. The Sistine Chapel is definitely one where it is a no no for anytype of photography at all.

Years ago they allowed you to take the photos without flash so I had 1000 speed film in my camera ready for when we were there and treasure those photos as you can't even do that any longer

A few months back someone posted something about not carrying an ABD backpack because it announces, "Hey I'm a Tourist!". Any truth to that? Any opinions? Let me clarify that I'm not against being a tourist, but it was more that it was an invitation for pick-pockets.

I tend to agree with the pick pocket comment, it does kind of stand out saying hey look over here

Everyone will have a different opinion on this subject. ;)

I don't know what the backpack for 2007 looked like but I can tell you this year's backpack is well made of good fabric. It is lined and 4 zippered compartments.

The term 'nicer looking' is definitely an objective/personal rating.

We received the messenger bags last year and have never used them. In fact I think Goodwill got one of them. They were a very drab grey and an awkward size. I don't use either messenger bags or backpacks normally so I could do without both 'gifts'.

You will be such a tourist on an ABD tour especially in the larger European cities. :rolleyes1

You will be in a group with a Guide holding a sign in front of the group and another guide at the rear of the group, constantly counting to make sure everyone is still with the group. No way around feeling like a tourist. Just be smart and aware of your surroundings. It's just like walking around parts of NYC or Miami or any hometown these days.

We had absolutely no problems with pick-pockets in Rome, Florence or Venice.

We were cautioned, especially in rail stations but didn't encounter a problem. We took the subway (Metro) by ourselves without the group and again didn't have any problems.

But we didn't carry our messenger bag with us either!;) Some people used them on the bus to carry items they wanted since they didn't have their luggage with them. Very few carried them on the streets.

You will be such a tourist on an ABD tour especially in the larger European cities. :rolleyes1

You will be in a group with a Guide holding a sign in front of the group and another guide at the rear of the group, constantly counting to make sure everyone is still with the group. No way around feeling like a tourist. Just be smart and aware of your surroundings. It's just like walking around parts of NYC or Miami or any hometown these days.

We had absolutely no problems with pick-pockets in Rome, Florence or Venice.

We were cautioned, especially in rail stations but didn't encounter a problem. We took the subway (Metro) by ourselves without the group and again didn't have any problems.

But we didn't carry our messenger bag with us either!;) Some people used them on the bus to carry items they wanted since they didn't have their luggage with them. Very few carried them on the streets.

Living in Orlando, we tend to despise tourists (thank you for spending money here though!:love: ). It'll actually be fun to BE a tourist. Can't wait!!!:yay:

It always cracks me up when people try to figure out how "not to look like a tourist". It's 99% sure you're going to look like a tourist, no matter what you do, because you ARE a tourist! Unless you have NO need for a map, carry a normal purse or wallet, and stay away from the touristy spots, and never pull out a camera, you're pretty much going to look like a tourist. And if you're in a foreign country, unless you speak the local language flawlessly, they're going to peg you. And if you are in a tour group, you might as well forget it! :confused3

No one would *EVER* mistake me for a local when I travel. I have TOURIST written all over me.

The best thing is to remain aware and be careful. Although I *did* hear a really good tip on "John & Kate Plus 8", to make sure any kids do *not* have their names visible on their backpacks or whatever, so that strangers will not be able to call them by name. Kids might be confused when a stranger appears to "know who they are".

I got the messenger bag last year, and it has NEVER been used. It is WAY too heavy & bulky to be used while traveling, and I have a rolling bag for work, so it's pretty useless to me. The logo is really pretty on it, however...

I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the backpack, because the straps look a little skimpy to me, but I guess I'll find out when I get it! It *looks* cool... Thanks for the pic of the back, redzinner!

Sayhello

Is this just on the Viva Italia trip, or on all ABD trips?
We did not receive a backpack while on the Southwest Splendors trip. Just the messenger bag while at home. So it appears to be only some trips (or maybe only this one?)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter