• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for Viva Italia Alumni

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm so glad I found the Disboards! All of you AbD veterans have been so helpful. I wish some of you were going on my trip. Still haven't found anyone. :sad2:

We had one duffel bag per room on the Flavors of France trip in June '08, in addition to the messenger bags we received at home.

Dotti

We had one duffel bag per room on the Flavors of France trip in June '08, in addition to the messenger bags we received at home.

Dotti
Oh, you're right! We did get duffle bags. But not backpacks. D'oh!

Sayhello

I love the duffel bags we got (after arrival in Rome). They are lightweight and great carry-ons. The messenger bags were heavy, dull grey, not attractive - the kids' backpacks were much nicer, blue and green. So I'm looking forward to the backpacks.

And don't despair about being isolated in Artimino - there is a wonderful gelato place in the town, about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel, and the view from the hotel is amazing. A wonderful, wonderful place!

We did the Viva Italia trip in 2006.

I experienced a pickpocket in Venice.

The "steets" or walkways in Venice tend to vary greatly in size. You might be in a very wide boulevard or a narrowere space wide enough for two people to just pass.

As we were walking through one of the narrower "streets" I felt a tug on my shorts. I was wearing cargo shorts and had my wallet buttoned inside one of the thigh pockets. I thought I had caught the pocket on a doorframe or something similar.

After a short distance, I felt the tug again and reached back and grabbed the arm of a 7 or 8 year old little boy. After checking to make sure my wallet was there, I let him go and he disappeared into an alley in a flash.

We were told that it is very difficult to catch the pickpockets or retrive your things as they work together. One takes your belongings and immediately passes it to someone else. Even if you catch the original thief, it's likely that he/she will no longer have your stuff.

I would reccommend that when walking through crowds, that you keep your wallet / money / credit cards in an inside pocket or in a pocket that buttons. I would also hesitate to put anything of real value on my back where I could not see it.

There are many ways and devices to secure your belongings. In my opinion...the best is to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions.

This was the only incident like this on the entire trip.

Just be aware.

I love my messenger bag. My laptop computer fits into it perfectly.

The villa in tuscany had a coin operated washer and dryer.

This is correct-- you may want to have travel detergent with you. Several in our group used the laundry room at Artimino, and hung clothes outside to dry.

We received the lightweight duffel bags in Rome, which came with some 'goodies', ie. H2O spritzer, headbands, etc.

You will absolutely love Viva Italia!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter