• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick Poll! Sci-Fi or 50's Cafe??

Sci-Fi or 50's Cafe

• Sci-Fi

Votes: 64 63.4%
  • 50's

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • Other...in comments

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Ohhh, in that case, probably not. I'm switching my vote to Sci Fi, just because it's cool looking, they have kid food and at 8 he's not going to appreciate all the vintage decor at 50s, which is (imo) the best thing about it now. Happy Birthday, Little Dude!
I agree with this! SciFi for sure! Looooove the theme. And 8 year old would LOVE this place. I also enjoy the food. We've eaten and enjoyed the following: burgers/fries, onion rings, wings, spinach dip, ribs. All good! My fave thou, the oreo shake. TO DIE FOR! And yes i'd put it right up there with the PB&J shake from 50's. I actually think i like the oreo shake from scifi better. :cloud9:

I agree with this! SciFi for sure! Looooove the theme. And 8 year old would LOVE this place. I also enjoy the food. We've eaten and enjoyed the following: burgers/fries, onion rings, wings, spinach dip, ribs. All good! My fave thou, the oreo shake. TO DIE FOR! And yes i'd put it right up there with the PB&J shake from 50's. I actually think i like the oreo shake from scifi better. :cloud9:
I totally agree. I think the food is great!

Personally I like sci fi, but not exactly ideal if you want to sit around the table and talk with people. For me it's a great way to chill out, eat, and not have to be talking a ton!

I like them both but to factor ...

SciFi I would not waste a credit but pay cash. We stick to sandwiches and burgers here and really enjoy the atmosphere. Perfect prior to Dessert Party.

50's Prime I would use a credit and we enjoy the food. It is heavy home cooking so I'd likely want this closer to lunch time as I would still be full at the Dessert Party. We love the decor/theme and have fun when our server plays along. Not all do.

It really boils down to:
- which theme you like ?
- do you want to use a credit or pay OOP?
- will you have any other meals prior to?
- what is your party makeup (re: seating at SciFi)?
- will you enjoy the 50's antics should they occur?

Other: I would likely not vote MM, and HBD is not on the same level as the others.

A little more info... this day is my soon to be 8 yo son's bday... would you still recommend Hollywood Brown Derby? He's not really a fan of "real food". Eats lots of plain fruits and vegetables and an occasional corn dog, chicken nugget, french fry and pizza. Some sensory aversions to meat that I also had growing up. :sad2:

I would not do HBD, it's no fun for an 8 year old birthday.
At SciFi it's so low key, dark and quiet; not birthday material.
I would go with 50's, make sure all know it is his birthday and have fun!

Last edited:

I enjoy both. My kids have been requesting sci fi the last couple of trips so that is what I book.

It’s funny how our thoughts are on the two restaurants. Our family loves 50’s and my wife and I went to sci fi in sept and unfortunately it was our worst restaurant experience on our trip. A lot had to do with our waitress has we never saw her and never received refills for our drinks. Had to stop someone else to get our check. I’m sure it would have been a better experience if we would have had some else but that’s what we got☹️

I was fortunate to go to both restaurants on our last visit. I went with my wife, and 4 kids ages 6 - 15. I genuinely loved both experiences - but I voted for 50's Prime Time for 2 reasons. My children really loved the interaction there with our server. They still talk about how I got yelled at for pulling my cell phone out during the dinner. Also, my family liked the food better here. That said - either choice is really fine because both restaurants offer terrific experiences.

We have eaten at both but didn't like the food at 50's. The atmosphere was fun tho. We loved Sci-Fi! Food was great and atmosphere was fun as well. We will be going back to Sci-Fi on this upcoming trip.

I think you can't go wrong! We've done both, and I liked them for different reasons. It was hard to talk to one another at Sci-Fi, and my DD who was 5 at the time had nightmares about some of the old school alien videos. Burgers and shakes were OK. But the atmosphere was really really cool! We just did 50s PTC during our trip last month, and the menu had never appealed to me, but we LOVED it. DD6 had a ball with the server who made me eat my veggies, and the retro menu was not something we'd ever get at home but ended up enjoying. Planning to do 50s PTC again for our trip this summer.

We like both and they both are very unique, well-themed restaurants. Something you can only find at WDW. Since it's an early dinner for you, I might lean towards 50s PT. They have more entree style meals that are more "dinner" oriented whereas Sci-Fi has primarily burgers and sandwiches that are better for a lunch, IMO. Both have great milkshakes!

Both are good, but when we are doing just 1 TS in HS, we always go with Sci-Fi. The atmosphere tips the decision in Sci-Fi's favour.

My girls loved the Sci-Fi restaurant. Sitting in the cars, watching old movie clips, and getting a milkshake with their meals was a blast for them. We thought the meal was pretty good. Wasn't the best Disney food, wasn't the worst. Hollywood Studios doesn't have many options that seem to fit what we like and we were very happy with our choice. We have never eaten at 50's Primetime, but that is mostly due to the fact that we are not really antics people. My girls are pretty shy with people they do not know and I think the way the servers interact with you would make them a bit uncomfortable.

That’s one of the things I was worried about for my son...he can be super shy at times and I want him to have fun :)

Sci-fi is actually on the cheaper side of Disney restaurants, or at least it can be. I wouldn't use a dining plan point on it.

We like the restaurant, though the shakes aren't as good as 50's. The atmosphere is awesome, but seating can be awkward though. It's one of those places where the food is so-so but the atmosphere makes up for it.

I like them both but to factor ...

SciFi I would not waste a credit but pay cash. We stick to sandwiches and burgers here and really enjoy the atmosphere. Perfect prior to Dessert Party.

50's Prime I would use a credit and we enjoy the food. It is heavy home cooking so I'd likely want this closer to lunch time as I would still be full at the Dessert Party. We love the decor/theme and have fun when our server plays along. Not all do.

It really boils down to:
- which theme you like ?
- do you want to use a credit or pay OOP?
- will you have any other meals prior to?
- what is your party makeup (re: seating at SciFi)?
- will you enjoy the 50's antics should they occur?

Other: I would likely not vote MM, and HBD is not on the same level as the others.

I would not do HBD, it's no fun for an 8 year old birthday.
At SciFi it's so low key, dark and quiet; not birthday material.
I would go with 50's, make sure all know it is his birthday and have fun!

What is the seating like at Sci-Fi?? We have a party of 3 adults 1 child and a baby in a stroller but could use a high chair unless she’s napping...

What is the seating like at Sci-Fi?? We have a party of 3 adults 1 child and a baby in a stroller but could use a high chair unless she’s napping...

Most the seating is in cars, so they would seat you 2 to a seat then put a high chair next to you. I have never see a stroller in the restaurant but it might be possible next to the car.

There are regular tables with car front & back like bookends they use high chairs at as well.

There are picnic tables at back for 4 that would be easily to put high chair or stroller by but ... they are traditionally reserved for walkups because they aren't so fun, no backs and benches don't move.

table-seating.jpg

iL8eBsatyK5Pr863Trj9RzkhKZJ50jy4_lg.jpg

sci-fi-dine-in-theater.jpg

picnic-tables.jpg

Sci-Fi-Dine-In-Theater-Restaurant_Full_25792.jpg

sci-fi-dine-in-theater-002.jpg

Since it's your DS's bday, I'd definitely pick Sci-Fi. I think a kid is going to think sitting in a car while watching movies is really way cooler than sitting in 1950s Mom's kitchen. I would try to make it work that your party can sit in the "real car" seats at Sci-Fi vs the Bookend 'car' tables or the tables with umbrellas. Should be easy to have two and two and then the high-chair next to one of those rows. Sci-Fi is about the experience, and the experience will be more authentic and unique in the "real car" seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter