Rain

mickey+minnie91

Mouseketeer
Hi,
It looks like there will be rain next week when we are there on Thanksgiving and the day after. Do you have any touring tips for Disneyland in the rain? Really bummed and hope the weather changes between now and then!

Get a full rain suit, including boots - seriously. This is going to be a cold storm so being wet is going to be miserable. If you are prepared though it will be awesome - no crowds. Local AP's will definitely stay home.

We had a blast last March on a rainy day. We had to layer up a little better with hats, umbrellas, ponchos, etc. But almost everything was a walk on and everyone that was brave enough to be there was just having a fun day. We lasted until 7 and then we were ready for hot showers, but it was a delightful day. And we got amazing pictures!

Hi,
It looks like there will be rain next week when we are there on Thanksgiving and the day after. Do you have any touring tips for Disneyland in the rain? Really bummed and hope the weather changes between now and then!
While you may be 100% correct, I would not rely on a So Cal weather report 6 days out. Things could change and the rain could come on Friday & Saturday instead of Thursday & Friday. Etc. From my recent experience watching weather reports here, things tend to get pushed back from the original predictions.

I'll be honest, if it is cold, and it rains continuously throughout the day & night, it won't be as much fun. However, if you get lucky, and it rains, then stops and either clears or just is gloomy and cloudy, the park will probably be empty. You won't go from an empty park to a packed park, or even close to that, as most people will not rush right over. That's your best case scenario.

Does anything change with rain at DL? Like do parades or anything get cancelled, any rides not able to run, food carts close? Are there lots of puddles? I wasn't even sure if umbrellas were allowed! For some reason I've never caught rain at DL, although experienced lots of rain at Legoland and my family loved it.

Rain at DL is the BEST!

Locals seem to think the rain will melt 'em. But being from the Pacific Northwest, we hardly notice it.

I've only had rain once at Disneyland, and it was one of the best days ever. This was before FastPasses, and the chance to walk on attractions one after another was something we'd never experienced. It was definitely worth getting a little wet.

Buy a rain poncho online or perhaps at Walmart before you arrive. I believe they charge $15 at the park. Walmart -- maybe $2. Indeed, a four-pack on Amazon is $4. Also, often when it rains at DL, it'll be heavy for a 5-10 minutes. Then it stops and the sun comes back out. Happened to me just two days ago at the park.

Some rides might close but it will be only temporary so keep checking the app to see when they re-open. Make sure you always hold a fast pass as you’ll likely get a few converted to the any ride FP, especially Big Thunder.

Have a few pit stops in mind - places to hang out and stay dry and warm throughout the day. Hungry Bear is a good one, and Alien pizza planet. It could be a good time to do Blue Bayou also!

With a few adjustments it will still be a great time.

Honestly, I have the best memories of a trip we had as a family when it was pouring down rain. Buy a poncho, wear waterproof shoes and don't forget to wear a cap with a bill, to keep the rain off your face. The crowds will be very light - like others have mentioned, the locals stay home. But, there will be low wait times...really low. And go on the water rides - you already have the poncho on. My best memory from our day in the rain was riding Splash Mountain...when we got to the end the CM asked if we wanted to go again...of course we said yes! We didn't even get out, we just kept riding. It's kind of special to be in Disneyland in the rain - embrace it and enjoy it!!

Honestly, just bundle up, get some waterproof shoes, and enjoy it. I'll be there Wednesday through Friday. We've gone in the rain several times. It's cold, but fine and less crowded. Right now, it looks like it'll only be showers, not full on rain. Some stuff will close and depending on weather the parades/fireworks/etc. could technically get cancelled, but there will be plenty to do.

Rain is the best time to visit! That means lower crowds :) But sadly it also means closures for certain rides that cannot operate in the wet weather. Just make sure you have a change of socks

... Local AP's will definitely stay home.
Maybe some, especially those with really little ones, but these local APs will be there in our rain gear!

Does anything change with rain at DL?...
Certain outdoor rides close during rain, so check on RSR, Luigi's, Mater's, teacups, etc. F! won't run if the rain is heavier than a steady sprinkle. Fireworks may or may not run, same with WOC. Depends on how heavy the rain is and the duration.

Locals seem to think the rain will melt 'em...
This is getting less true as locals discover good rain gear. We come out to play in the rain most storms and are seeing more passholders (have to be) each time. It's not anything close to "crowds," but there are definitely more guests each time. Word is getting out...

OP: This thread from earlier this year has a lot of good info on dealing with heavy rain at DLR: Can we chat rain?.

Locals seem to think the rain will melt 'em. But being from the Pacific Northwest, we hardly notice it.

I've only had rain once at Disneyland, and it was one of the best days ever. This was before FastPasses, and the chance to walk on attractions one after another was something we'd never experienced. It was definitely worth getting a little wet.
Not really. I'm on a few local passholder groups on facebook and one of the big tips is to go when it rains. So people just buy rain gear and go.

I think I might be able to cope with rain during the day...
but I will be seriously upset if F! or WOC are cancelled on those days I have the corresponding package booked.

By the way I am on my way now to buy some rain boots...

We were there last December when it rained 2" in a single day. One one hand, you have locals with rain gear, but on the other hand, you have lots of visitors who packed for light rain but went back to their rooms because they weren't geared for moderate/heavy rain in cold weather. It's the cold that makes being wet miserable, but we already know that. 😋 Both parks were pretty quiet by mid afternoon.

Frogg Toggs would be my bare minimum rec for true wet weather. Get something with a hood and wear a waterproof boonie hat overtop to keep raindrops from hitting your eyes. The hood underneath will keep rain from running down your back.

We wore Columbia rain pants and jackets, with our boonies and rain shoes and stayed warm and about 95% dry the entire day.

... Frogg Toggs would be my bare minimum rec for true wet weather. Get something with a hood and wear a waterproof boonie hat overtop to keep raindrops from hitting your eyes. The hood underneath will keep rain from running down your back.

We wore Columbia rain pants and jackets, with our boonies and rain shoes and stayed warm and about 95% dry the entire day.
Agree that the tried and true brands of wet weather gear will really stand up to the test of cold, rainy days in the parks. Cheap stuff tends to fall apart and not keep you warm anyway. (And being damp/wet and bone cold in the parks is seriously not fun.) Frogg Toggs, Columbia, Lands End, LL Bean, Patagonia, REI, etc. really do come through for you in the parks. Anything made from Gore-Tex or a non-name brand equivalent will be an advantage. Check the clearance sections online, outlet stores, and eBay, too.

Agree that the tried and true brands of wet weather gear will really stand up to the test of cold, rainy days in the parks. Cheap stuff tends to fall apart and not keep you warm anyway. (And being damp/wet and bone cold in the parks is seriously not fun.) Frogg Toggs, Columbia, Lands End, LL Bean, Patagonia, REI, etc. really do come through for you in the parks. Anything made from Gore-Tex or a non-name brand equivalent will be an advantage. Check the clearance sections online, outlet stores, and eBay, too.
Also since Black Friday is approaching (or already going on for some places), check for rain gear on sale. That's how I got my down coat.

Rain is awesome since there will be less locals going. In addition, the AP socal pass holders will be blocked out as well so even less attendance there too!

We've done it and it's fine.... almost feels eerily empty in DL. We bought the Disney ponchos and those lasted a few years for us to reuse.... we finally tossed them since they ripped apart gradually. We're going to bring some of the Walmart cheap disposable ponchos (had them for a different trip) but may need to buy at the kiosks if those don't work out for us.

Definitely bring shoes that can take a little water or your feet will cold and miserable.

I didn’t read the above suggestions but wanted to add long ponchos, rain boots or shoe covers (can order on Amazon), baseball hats, and a small towel that you can use to wipe down seats or tables. The key to a good day in the parks in the rain is staying dry. Your whole group has to be dry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter