RANT ALERT Park Manners

I've had the urge to go absolutely tharn when waiting in line for RSR at DLR. People (usually teen girls) cut back out of line, displacing everyone in back of them...and then show back up ten minutes later...clutching churros for their entire party.

Churros.

New Rule: If you're going to disrupt a line by cutting out and then cutting back in, one must bring churros for everyone.

Oprah voice: You get a churro! You get a churro! Everyone gets a churro!

In all seriousness though, I've read through this entire thread and except for a few items, really, most of the gripes seemed to be consideration related and either for safety or hygiene issues. My hope is that the pixie dust can help in some of these, though- not always.

I will admit that Disney is my "kid place". I don't get excited about much due to my ptsd and Disney is the one place where I feel safe to get excited about meeting Elsa and riding Splash Mountain and being a little silly (go ahead, ask me about my single rider prowess- I'm impressive).

I made the mistake once of going to Disneyland close to Christmas and it was awful. It was a weekday and school was still in session but there were hordes of people, sometimes with four strollers across.

And I will admit that I was not a perfect angel, and that I got impatient (and that my ice cream sundae was not on par with what I expected) but overall, I felt like the madness at rope drop and the four by side strollers really did disrupt the magic.

I myself love California Adventure now because I see the value in it. As a less "historic" park, it doesn't have large crowds at two in the afternoon and I can sit in a cool Muppet theater and be immersed and have a lovely time without worrying if Indy is going to break down or if I'm going to have a breakdown when I realize how much I'm being charged for a bowl of orange chicken at lunch.

Btw, one really valuable thing I've learned is that if you're fiancee is tall n large, he won't fit into either the Matterhorn (though he will try valiantly) or be able to share a Doom Buggy at the Mansion. He will however, love the swinging gondolas at Paradise Pier *shudder*.

:wizard:

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it." --Andy Warhol

I wish I'd never learned about VIP tours. It brings out the class warrior in me, in an ugly way. I wish I didn't have to file past the first-class passengers on my way to economy. I wish that, at Disney, that most American of companies, we could all enjoy the same Coke.

I don't think Liz Taylor does drink Coke though. She seems more like a Cuba Libre person to me. I dunno. :hyper:

Husbands and wives: Be sweet to each other. Talk nice and kind to each other. I am always SO amazed at how ugly husbands and wives are to each other in the parks...which they must be that way at home too....which is super sad. :-(

Husbands and wives: Be sweet to each other. Talk nice and kind to each other. I am always SO amazed at how ugly husbands and wives are to each other in the parks...which they must be that way at home too....which is super sad. :-(

Agreed- saw some rough spats last trip. However, as fun as Disney is, with the crowds, overly excited kids, I can see how spouses could get irritable with each other and I don't think that means they necessarily fight like that at home all the time.

I went with my kids and my mom last time. this spring DH is going so we will see I guess. :)

I have gone through every post here and although it was alluded to on page 19 (I told you I read it all!!) and 20, I think it needs to be reiterated.

I suppose this is not just for Disney, but public places in general. Especially places that have a high concentration of kids. And – hooray – my gripe is not about scooters! (I have no problem with scooters – if they hit me on purpose, the cops and lawyers get called. If they hit me by accident, I get over it and buy myself a Mickey bar!)

Now for the rant.

Look, I am not a puritanical fuddy-duddy by any stretch, but I would like to ask people to please stop using a public venue to prove to the world how attractive they find their significant others to be. I don’t mind when couples hold hands, or have their arms around each other, or even give each other a kiss. Heck, I’m not offended if I see a same-sex couple do that either. But when your actions are rated R and the only thing missing from your public display of affection is a bed and a red light, that’s where I draw the line. It’s Disney World, not the back bleachers at Prom!

When WookiePants & I were at the Food & Wine Festival in 2012, we came across several people who obviously took the “Wine” part of the F&WF very seriously (another of my pet peeves, but it’s already been mentioned on pages 21 & 23). Apparently they also left their inhibitions back at their resorts. I actually saw mothers cover their kids’ eyes and saw little ones gawking, wondering where the guy’s hands had disappeared to. Even adults telling them to get a room wasn’t working – I think they saw that as validation of how “edgy” they were. Either that or it added to the excitement. Whatever.

Yeah...they're in love. I get it, and I'm all for being in love and sharing the happiest place on earth with your favorite person. But if you’re so hot & heavy about each other and gettin’ it on can’t wait, find a private room and don’t feel you have to provide the rest of us with an exclusive peep show. There are plenty of other couples (myself & WookiePants included) at WDW who manage to restrain ourselves.

Beyond the gross factor (I don’t need to see some guy playing tonsil hockey with his gal), it’s the effect on the kids and their parents. I'm not a parent, but I admire parents who are vacationing with kids because I'm sure it's not always easy. I try to do what I can to not make their jobs any harder than it already is. I would hate to be the parent who suddenly has to spend part of their vacation providing “the talk” to a child who was prompted, perhaps earlier than they should have been, into these types of questions because a couple of horny drunk adults couldn’t keep their paws off one another.

Thank you for giving me a venue & opportunity to vent!

Here's my rant - Parents, if you absolutely must bring your children to a table service restaurant, please be sure they know how to behave properly in that setting. If the restaurant's atmosphere is loud and family friendly, fine, but if it is quiet and fancier, it might not be the best choice for you. It's unfair to other people that are trying to enjoy a nice, quiet (and expensive) meal only to have your Johnny or Susie running, kicking, throwing things, speaking loudly, shrieking or whatever he is doing because you are not in control of the situation. Some kids are just happier with a Happy Meal.

I agree, I have two children 6 and 4. I would never bring them to a restaurant where I don't think they could act accordingly.

My only rule: Don't sweat the small stuff.

No reason to have your day ruined by worrying about how someone else behaves. At the end of the day, their rudeness may cost you a few of minutes. Those minutes are not worth the extended aggravation that people sometimes carry with them for hours during their vacation.

So true. Reading this thread is a real bummer :( never really concerned myself with rude people. Just move on and handle it myself. This didn't happen in DW but once when I was in US a bunch of girls skipped me and my party so I wasn't having any of it so I told my little sister to hold my hand and big sister hold LS hand and her husband held her hand to form a chain and skip them back. The girls were in shock we skipped them back but how rude can one be?? My sisters and BIL were shocked at me because I never stand up for myself that much but people think cause I am small they can do that stuff. Seen grown adults pushing me out the way cause they think I am a kid who won't fight back.!Being taller doesn't give you the right to touch me or physically move me. :(

My only rule: Don't sweat the small stuff.

No reason to have your day ruined by worrying about how someone else behaves. At the end of the day, their rudeness may cost you a few of minutes. Those minutes are not worth the extended aggravation that people sometimes carry with them for hours during their vacation.

Agree with this:) I am not saying not to get upset by rude people but try to move beyond it. This didn't happen in DW but once when I was in US I was waiting in line when two very rude teenager girls skipped us laughing about it so I told my little sister(she's taller and only two years younger) to take my hand and then her to take my big sisters and and big sister take her husbands hand so we could form a chain and we just walked In front of them and smiled at them. They were in shock and so was my family as I never do that kind of thing but its happened so many times now to me I just cracked. I am small 4'9 and people mistake me as a kid and will often physically move me with their hands :( No one has the right to touch anyone just because you're taller and have bigger legs to move faster. We aren't moving slowly to irritate you, we're moving slow because we can't help it. It's not hard to walk around me without touching me(its not crowded when people do this to me, I go to the parks non peak times) :/ okay I am not going to let it ruin my day though because I am so lucky to be in the parks :D

Ok, so many posts to read, sorry if this was already said, but most importantly:

You might be on vacation from your job, but you are NOT on vacation from parenting!

Hate it when people tell their kids to "take it somewhere else, I'm trying to relax" without realizing they just passed their job on to the rest of us...and of course they WILL get very pissy when you have the nerve to correct their angel children...angels...like Lucifer.

Be nice to CMs. Most of the time whatever it is you're complaining about is not their fault and they're all very sweet people. Next time you're at the park, try keeping track of how many people you overhear complaining "This isn't very magical!"

That exclamation has become a sort of joke in my family.

Also, Brazilian tour groups. enough said.

(I have no problem with scooters – if they hit me on purpose, the cops and lawyers get called. If they hit me by accident, I get over it and buy myself a Mickey bar!)

This. Scooter, stroller, whatever- assault and battery. I'd rather have a Mickey bar. Not really a rant but... I do wish folks who need to use a scooter at WDW, but don't use them in their daily lives, would test drive a couple at their local grocery store or Walmart before heading into a crowded park. When I rent a car, I like to check out the controls and pedals before I drive the wheels off it.;)
-Tess

This post is making me laugh. I agree with a lot of you and you have good points. I was raised in the south with manners and wished more people had them. But some people on here sound like old people yelling at the kids to get off their lawn. :rotfl2: Everyone take a deep breath and relax and don't let the small things piss you off :thumbsup2

Ok, there are third world problems like lack of shelter, dirty drinking water, no food-starvation, orphans without a home, war. Then there are first world problems like, This guy in traffic cut me off (be thankful you have a car). Or your in DW and someone is rude to you. ( Be thankful you can afford a DW vacation. Most of the world can't). These gripes are first world problems. Be thankful you actually are in DW. That you have the money to afford it. That you can provide your children with such an experience. Seriously , many people don't have the means to provide their children with one or even more trips to DW. Instead of focusing on the negative, be thankful for the opportunity to be in DW. You 'll enjoy your trip and life a lot more.

@ HarrisB1964

Perhaps you didn't read the thread title. I'm of the understanding that this is a forum to complain about those things which can put a damper on our vacations. It's not about first world, third world, whatever world problems. In the great scheme of things, at least in my weltschau, if someone cuts me off in line for Expedition Everest, I'm not gonna slit my wrists in some kind of misguided fit of frustration. But...it will p*** me off something royally. And the nature of forums is to find people of like minds to discuss topics of interest that we share. You don't think these things are important to you? That's wonderful, and I envy your ability to roll with the punches better than I do.

I would like to believe that everyone on this list is grateful that they can visit WDW with their families. I know that I am thankful for my own blessings. But there are few places where we can gripe in peace without others dismissing our gripes as inconsequential. How about allowing us this one little indulgence?

Here's my rant - Parents, if you absolutely must bring your children to a table service restaurant, please be sure they know how to behave properly in that setting. If the restaurant's atmosphere is loud and family friendly, fine, but if it is quiet and fancier, it might not be the best choice for you. It's unfair to other people that are trying to enjoy a nice, quiet (and expensive) meal only to have your Johnny or Susie running, kicking, throwing things, speaking loudly, shrieking or whatever he is doing because you are not in control of the situation. Some kids are just happier with a Happy Meal.

I've seen plenty of adults that struggle to behave accordingly in a table service restaurant...

Are they allowed to act like animals because they're adults?

Ok, there are third world problems like lack of shelter, dirty drinking water, no food-starvation, orphans without a home, war. Then there are first world problems like, This guy in traffic cut me off (be thankful you have a car). Or your in DW and someone is rude to you. ( Be thankful you can afford a DW vacation. Most of the world can't). These gripes are first world problems. Be thankful you actually are in DW. That you have the money to afford it. That you can provide your children with such an experience. Seriously , many people don't have the means to provide their children with one or even more trips to DW. Instead of focusing on the negative, be thankful for the opportunity to be in DW. You 'll enjoy your trip and life a lot more.

I like the way you think !! :thumbsup2

I agree. My husband and I had dinner at the Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios. I felt sorry for our waiter. The table across from ours had a couple with several little ones, in my opinion, too young for Brown Derby. They were throwing food on the floor, crawling around under the table, you get the picture. When they left, the waiter had to just wrap everything up in the tablecloth and take it away. He also had to move out the table and clean the floor. The waiter seemed so dispirited by the experience. We had taken our son to Brown Derby several years ago so that he could see an example of fine dining, and go over with him the nuances of how to behave. He was 12-13 at the time. My son didn't join us on this trip, and I am sure he would have been upset by their behavior, too.

Be nice to CMs. Most of the time whatever it is you're complaining about is not their fault and they're all very sweet people. Next time you're at the park, try keeping track of how many people you overhear complaining "This isn't very magical!"

That exclamation has become a sort of joke in my family.

Also, Brazilian tour groups. enough said.

+ one

1. Kid spitting Cheerios onto the floor at the Indiana Jones show in DHS. Parents' attention is directed elsewhere.
2. Kid terrorizing ducks with stroller in World Showcase in Epcot--mom and dad observe, say nothing.
3. Kid kicking walls of Fast Pass line in Soarin'. Mom observes, then continues to talk to husband.
4. Kids pulls down chain in Soarin' line. Father reconnects it and says nothing. Same kid pulls down the chain again.
5. Mom buckles kid into Soarin', then promptly pulls out her smartphone and fiddles with it during the entire ride.
6. Guest blows his nose into sink in men's room in Frontierland, then walks out.

#6 ewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

That is just NASTY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter