RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I would have moved in a second. mom wants to sit next to her kid? you just do the right thing and move. what is wrong with people. and to ask for compensation? no wonder this country is a mess. whatever happened to just doing the right thing because...also, doubt very much the mom "demanded". been on many flights, and have seen this happen many times, and no one ever demanded anything. stuff like this just makes me shake my head.

I do not like to sit next to unaccompanied minors so I would have switched UNLESS the switch was to a middle seat. On the other hand, I also really dislike rude demanding people so if she was that, I might have refused regardless.

I totally get wanting an aisle seat. My family is all so obsessed with having an aisle that we choose seats across from one another rather than side by side. Once my kids were around 12, the aisle was more important to them than sitting by us. My DH and now adult son will pay when necessary to get the aisle assignment or early boarding group.

I agree with this.

The past few years I've had to travel a bit for my job, and if I cannot get window I'll get aisle. Sometimes I have to pay extra for those seats when the only available non-upgraded seats are middle, and that comes out of my pocket rather than the company. I've had some uncomfortable experiences sitting in the middle squashed between two people, so I like that little extra space on the ends enough that I'll pay for that seat location. If someone were to come to me, especially demanding, I don't think I would be accommodating unless it were a small child, and of course, the care of the child would come first.

I've seen instances where the parents are separated from their children, and if the kids are young enough the flight attendants will ask everyone if someone is willing to trade places. I think if that were the case here, the seat situation would have been addressed by the flight attendants. Since it wasn't, it seems to me that the airlines thought it was okay to separate them.

Part of the issue, too, is that they have compacted the seating space, so where in the past there was more room, now we're sardined in (my experience from American, Delta, & United - various flights), so when you pay for that space at the end of an aisle it takes a lot to give it up.

I doubt it was a small child. And I see demanding moms all the time. What I would have done completely depends on a number of variables. Was mom a demanding harpy or was she polite? Was it a timid looking 9 year old or a 12 year old who is taller than me whom mom probably still takes into the ladies room with her? Will I have to exchange my aisle seat for a middle or window seat, because that's not happening. There are several reasons I pay for the aisle seat. Will I have to sit next to someone spilling over into my seat? No thanks. Will I be seated next to the bathrooms? That makes me gag, so no. When we flew with DD, I always paid extra, even for early boarding. I didn't want to take a chance on being separated or having to rely on someone switching seats.

When we're at WDW, I can't ride a bus unless I am seated. If the bus is full and I'll have to stand, I wait for the next (empty) bus so I can be guaranteed a seat. Once I am in that seat, I don't give it up. I don't get on a full bus and hope someone will relinquish their seat for me. That is too much to ask or hope for. We make sure we get seats by waiting.

I have to say, I guess I will get flamed here too but I also fall into the category of I am not switching seats. I pick my seats early, pay if i have to and i like the window seat, period. It would have to be a case I felt that no big deal or an equal seat at least and that if good reason, but, short of the storm which i understand people got bumped and are just trying to make it home, on every other flight tehre is plenty of opportunity to board early, pay for seat etc, not my fault they waited and they can just sit where they were assigned. Then again im not a huge fan of airplanes and I like the window so thats why I make sure my seat is assigned early.

I've been on many SW flights where kids younger were split from their party.

Really? We've been taking SW flights more recently and on many of the flights that I've been on, if there is a split in the family with kids that appear to be younger than 8 that would have to sit by themselves, they've always came on the intercom and asked for two seats together for them.

I would have moved in a second. mom wants to sit next to her kid? you just do the right thing and move. what is wrong with people. and to ask for compensation? no wonder this country is a mess. whatever happened to just doing the right thing because...also, doubt very much the mom "demanded". been on many flights, and have seen this happen many times, and no one ever demanded anything. stuff like this just makes me shake my head.

Really, you've never witnessed a demanding parent expecting everyone to bend over backwards for his/her child??? If I was asked nicely and I didn't have any issues with sitting in the other seat I'd switch. I have a child and I get it. However, make demands and be witchy and you can wait for pigs to fly.

I doubt it was a small child. And I see demanding moms all the time. What I would have done completely depends on a number of variables. Was mom a demanding harpy or was she polite? Was it a timid looking 9 year old or a 12 year old who is taller than me whom mom probably still takes into the ladies room with her? Will I have to exchange my aisle seat for a middle or window seat, because that's not happening. There are several reasons I pay for the aisle seat. Will I have to sit next to someone spilling over into my seat? No thanks. Will I be seated next to the bathrooms? That makes me gag, so no. When we flew with DD, I always paid extra, even for early boarding. I didn't want to take a chance on being separated or having to rely on someone switching seats.

When we're at WDW, I can't ride a bus unless I am seated. If the bus is full and I'll have to stand, I wait for the next (empty) bus so I can be guaranteed a seat. Once I am in that seat, I don't give it up. I don't get on a full bus and hope someone will relinquish their seat for me. That is too much to ask or hope for. We make sure we get seats by waiting.
I agree. I will not condemn the OP without fully knowing the details. It would definitely matter if there were other alternatives for the mother. I go out of my way to make sure I get the seats I want. If the mother had an option to pay more for better seats then it is on her to do that. Not the same but I get so irritated when I go to the movies and someone comes in at the last minute and starts asking people to move so they can put together the combination of seats that works for them. I don't like sitting through 20 minutes of previews more than anyone else but I do that to get the seats I want. If you come in at the last minute you have a lot of nerve asking people to move.

Last edited:

Really, you've never witnessed a demanding parent expecting everyone to bend over backwards for his/her child??? If I was asked nicely and I didn't have any issues with sitting in the other seat I'd switch. I have a child and I get it. However, make demands and be witchy and you can wait for pigs to fly.
MTE. ::yes::
Ask nicely, don't demand, and don't threaten.
Often (not always) these situations can be avoided with pre-planning. For example, if someone has an 9 yo on Southwest, buy Early Bird if you want to sit together. Don't save a few bucks and then hassle other passengers.

DH and I both get aisle seats across from each other (mobility issues.) Last month a father asked if I would move to the middle seat by DH so his family could sit together. There were plenty of seats further back (SWA) so I just said I had to have an aisle seat. Yes, there are different circumstances on different flights, but in this instance I didn't see the "need" to move.

I have never asked to switch seats but have been asked many times by others, I will change if its for a similar seat (aisle) and even move much further back in the plane as long as I have a long layover and not in a rush to get off the first flight to make my second flight. I like sitting by unaccompanied minors (not the case in the OP case) simply because they usually fall asleep or play on their electronic devices and thus don't want to carry on a conversation with me while I am listening to music, reading or sleeping :flower: I pick the limited recline seats as often as I possibly can because I don't recline my seat as it increases some pain issues I have, most people don't want those seats so I rarely am asked to switch seats when I am in that location :tongue: I am pretty sure I wouldn't give up a premium seat if I had paid extra for it but then again, I have been known to change my mind.:)

I a
And now that I think about it, I am not sure I have ever asked to trade seats in all my years flying!

I have also never asked to change. I have run into demanding moms quite a few times on SW flights who were insistent that someone HAD to switch with them.

Really? We've been taking SW flights more recently and on many of the flights that I've been on, if there is a split in the family with kids that appear to be younger than 8 that would have to sit by themselves, they've always came on the intercom and asked for two seats together for them.

Southwest's policy:
swa_exp_boarding_the_plane_fam_text.png

An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should both board with the “A” boarding group.

I have often seen moms asking to preboard with a child too old or asking for someone to move for them. The only time I have experienced a flight attendant get involved, is when due to a delayed connection or something similar, a parent with a very young (under 6) child was going to be separated.

You guys do realize that those passengers travelling internationally with a codeshare ticket being serviced by these airlines dont have the option to choose there seat or purchase early bird if there "home" airline doesnt service these options right?

I see alot of selfish attitudes here.

I don't think it is selfish at all to want the seat you paid extra for.

You guys do realize that those passengers travelling internationally with a codeshare ticket being serviced by these airlines dont have the option to choose there seat or purchase early bird if there "home" airline doesnt service these options right?

It's all about perspective. I see some entitled attitudes.

The OP paid for a preferred seat. She's entitled to that seat. Perhaps the mother would have had better success trading her seat and that of her child for two of the last seats in the plane? You know, the ones near the bathrooms and lack the ability to recline? I'd give up my aisle seat in that last row for a middle seat further forward in the plane if someone offered me the ability to move. But I wouldn't give up my paid-for, preferred seat for anyone but someone with an obvious physical disability.

I have gotten on planes to find someone sitting in my seat because "they were sure I wouldn't mind switching". Sometimes I have agreed, other times not. One time I happily traded was with a University of Memphis basketball player; I had one of those unusual coach seats that didn't have a seat in front of it. He needed it worse than I did.

I have gotten on planes to find someone sitting in my seat because "they were sure I wouldn't mind switching". Sometimes I have agreed, other times not. One time I happily traded was with a University of Memphis basketball player; I had one of those unusual coach seats that didn't have a seat in front of it. He needed it worse than I did.

OK, now that's a new one. Amazing! Mind readers! They know you better than you know you. Ummmm. No.

And I understand about case by case basis. I think that's very reasonable. :thumbsup2

Why didn't the mom have the kid trade places with the person sitting next to her assigned seat? If the kid was in an upgraded seat, it would have been fair to have the person they were moving into the better seat.

The kid had to have been older, because the flight attendant wouldn't have let a young child (8 years or younger) sit with a stranger. They usually go over the intercom and ask if anyone would like to switch seats if it's a warranted situation.

This crossed my mind, too. I also fly frequently and pay extra for premium seating and there would have to be extreme circumstances for me to agree to change my seat, and certainly not to a standard non-premium seat. I may be seen as selfish and inconsiderate, but I'm mobility-challenged and have to do what's best for me.

Queen Colleen

Yep, it is very selfish to demand that someone give up a seat that they paid extra for to accommodate you, no matter what your reason is.

Why didn't the mom have the kid trade places with the person sitting next to her assigned seat? If the kid was in an upgraded seat, it would have been fair to have the person they were moving into the better seat.

The kid had to have been older, because the flight attendant wouldn't have let a young child (8 years or younger) sit with a stranger. They usually go over the intercom and ask if anyone would like to switch seats if it's a warranted situation.
Kids 5 years old and older have flown unaccompanied on many airlines for years. They sit next to another passenger.
(I wouldn't refer to the passenger using the stranger word, since sadly that's often taught as the equivalent of "danger". )

And on Southwest? Certainly kids have been split up, especially with very large families. I've seen it happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter