RD Magic Kingdom using the railroad

Disneyfor8

Earning My Ears
We will be RDing Magic Kingdom on Oct 15 for an 8am regular park opening. Walking from the Contemporary (yay!). This will be our second MK day, so we will already have hit most of the major attractions. We will be heading straight to BTMR. My question is: if we take the railroad over to Frontierland, will we be at a disadvantage to those walking over for RD? We don't need to be first in line for BTMR, but we also don't want to be arriving 15 minutes after everyone else. Does anyone have experience with this? And with the new opening procedure, are we able to go up to the train station and wait there for the first train to arrive before official park opening?

Having considered this same thing previously, I feel like you would get to just about any ride more quickly by walking from the Hub at Rope Drop than by waiting to load the train, waiting for it to go, chug-Chug-chugging around to Frontierland, waiting to disembark, and then walking around to BTMR. That is, as long as you are well enough to make the walk. Since you are walking from the Contemporary, I assume that you have no hindrance in that regard.

I would think walking would be quicker. There's no guarantee the train will be waiting for you when you get there and that will add time.

Walking would definitely be quicker, however, BTTMR does not get that busy early, and even if you walk up 15 to 20 minutes after rope drop it will have minimal wait times. I often do Jungle Crusie and POTC before arriving at BTTMR and it's never been more than a few minutes wait.

Toss-up.
If a ride on the train is also part of your fun, take the train.

I've been answering this question since 2008 when I made the map below. (Nearly a decade. Wow!)
The timing of walking vs. the train is unpredictable. It can certainly depend on the time of day that you arrive.

If you are starting from rope drop at the Castle Hub, walking will certainly be faster.

OTOH, I can say that if you are just entering at the park gates, once the train is rolling, it will move much faster than a person can walk.
Take your pick and have fun!

MK-Gate-to-Splash_111208.jpg

Last edited:
I have been looking to the different lands at rope drop. It seems the masses tend to go towards - 7DMT or PPF, so heading to frontier/adventure land kind of goes against what most will do and thus in the first hour should have relatively short waits.

I have been looking to the different lands at rope drop. It seems the masses tend to go towards - 7DMT or PPF, so heading to frontier/adventure land kind of goes against what most will do and thus in the first hour should have relatively short waits.

Yes, the largest groups go straight to Fantasyland and 7DMT or Peter Pan. The second largest group heads to Tomorrowland and Space Mountain. Heading to Adventureland or Frontierland will be the smallest groups and the lines take the longest to build in these areas, at least on an average day (this may not apply on very crowded days).

With BTMR it is not imperative that you get there before everyone else. You should not have issues with lines at RD. Take the train if you like. Or just ride the train later. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies and very helpful feedback. I think we will end up walking over to BTMR and then doing a full loop on the train later in the day. But you're all correct...no matter what we do, it'll be a great time!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies and very helpful feedback. I think we will end up walking over to BTMR and then doing a full loop on the train later in the day. But you're all correct...no matter what we do, it'll be a great time!
I think you made the right decision-one time the train pulled up right when we were entering MK so we decided to do the same thing you proposed. Unfortunately it sat there at the station for probably close to 10 min allowing people to board before departing. Since there wasn't a large crowd waiting for it when it arrived they didn't quickly load and pull out like they normally do the rest of the day.

I just got back from a trip and we RD MK. Went to Adventure land and did POTC no wait. did BTMR no wait. did Haunted Mansion. No Wait. JC and Splash mountain were closed so there was a lack of attractions on that side of the park. It was 1030 and still seemed like no one was in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter