Really close to quitting the Dark Side Half Marathon.... Help

Bridgett_Anna

Mouseketeer
Last year, I ran the Donald half marathon. That was the last race I did. I started training about 3 weeks ago for the Dark Side half marathon. Today, I bearly completed 6 miles. It was so hard! It took me 2 hours to do it. Every run I take seems to be terrible. I try so hard. Everything hurts when I run. I get so upset in the morning because I have to go run. Next weekend, I have to run 10 miles! How am I going to do that without wanting to lay down in the road and die??? Please give me some tips to make running easier. I am SO close to giving up.

- You have one more month to work on your conditioning. Considering you just started, your cardio can definitely improve in that time.
- Are you trying to do a straight run or intervals? A lot of people are able to go faster when they schedule recovery times with a run/walk method.
- The excitement on race day helps many people go faster than their training pace.
- Maybe you're hurting because you're overtraining. You can't cram for race day. I'm not an expert, but I'd probably save the 10-miler for two weeks before race day. Without much of a base, you could injure yourself by going too far too fast.

- You have one more month to work on your conditioning. Considering you just started, your cardio can definitely improve in that time.
- Are you trying to do a straight run or intervals? A lot of people are able to go faster when they schedule recovery times with a run/walk method.
- The excitement on race day helps many people go faster than their training pace.
- Maybe you're hurting because you're overtraining. You can't cram for race day. I'm not an expert, but I'd probably save the 10-miler for two weeks before race day. Without much of a base, you could injure yourself by going too far too fast.

I am doing intervals by distance. I would find a starting point and stopping point. It helps me keep motivated to run quicker so I can take a break.

Thank you for your tips!

No quitting!!!! I have been training since January and have JUST got to six miles. And I hurt afterwards. My training program only requires a step to 8 miles next week--and do not underestimate the power/satisfaction of a walk/run combo or even just walking it. Do not give up. You can definitely make it across the finish line. I would say look for a different training plan or style, and invest in some aleve (ps I am not a doctor so don't listen to me about painkillers) :) also do some soul searching--will you still be proud if you complete it walking part way (I will!!)? If you find running the whole thing too overwhelming, maybe start by speed walking 2/3 miles and then run as much as you can, then finish by walking?

No quitting!!!! I have been training since January and have JUST got to six miles. And I hurt afterwards. My training program only requires a step to 8 miles next week--and do not underestimate the power/satisfaction of a walk/run combo or even just walking it. Do not give up. You can definitely make it across the finish line. I would say look for a different training plan or style, and invest in some aleve (ps I am not a doctor so don't listen to me about painkillers) :) also do some soul searching--will you still be proud if you complete it walking part way (I will!!)? If you find running the whole thing too overwhelming, maybe start by speed walking 2/3 miles and then run as much as you can, then finish by walking?

I think I'm just going to run 8 miles next week. And the following week I do 10. Thank you for you tips!

DO NOT TAKE ALEVE FOR RUNNING - NO NSAIDS. I cannot be more forceful in saying this, it affects the kidneys badly when coupled with running. Take Tylenol as it is safe.

Thank you for that (I mean this seriously, I am a novice and have been taking ibuprofen the day after if I am too achy)!!!! is that even true after running? like a few hrs later?

It could help to do intervals by time. 30/30 seconds What are your interval distances?

Echo the no Alieve or Ibuprofen. The only med handed out at the med tents on course is Tylenol.

Last year, I ran the Donald half marathon. That was the last race I did. I started training about 3 weeks ago for the Dark Side half marathon. Today, I bearly completed 6 miles. It was so hard! It took me 2 hours to do it. Every run I take seems to be terrible. I try so hard. Everything hurts when I run. I get so upset in the morning because I have to go run. Next weekend, I have to run 10 miles! How am I going to do that without wanting to lay down in the road and die??? Please give me some tips to make running easier. I am SO close to giving up.

Unfortunately, there is no secret to making running easier. It doesn't always have to seem difficult or feel like a chore, but there is no way to make running easier without putting in the effort and reaping the rewards of hard work. I'm not saying this to discourage you and I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know. The suggestions made by others are all good ways of making feel more like an enjoyable activity rather than work (which is what I think you mean by easier).

From the information in your post it seems as though you may be putting maximum effort into every step of every run. As hard as it is to break this habit, it can be counterproductive. There is not necessarily any physical benefit to running faster in training, it leaves you more prone to injury, and can be very disheartening mentally. You have done a half before so you have a general awareness of what finishing the Dark Side Half will require in a few weeks. Stay within yourself, train as best you can, and if you don't think you are prepared for the Dark Side Half just view your training as the first steps in being better prepared for a different race in the future.

I am doing intervals by distance. I would find a starting point and stopping point. It helps me keep motivated to run quicker so I can take a break.

Thank you for your tips!

I would start doing it with time. Read your description of how you feel. What you're doing isn't working. So go with time and stick to it. I do minute long intervals and I stay strong to the end. And yes that's a lot of slowing and then going faster, but it works.

DO NOT TAKE ALEVE FOR RUNNING - NO NSAIDS. I cannot be more forceful in saying this, it affects the kidneys badly when coupled with running. Take Tylenol as it is safe.

I think they'll find that Tylenol isn't safe either. It isn't for me.

There's been some good advice given out so far and here are my suggestions to you.

1. I think you will find intervals will help you a lot. The key there is to rest your legs before they get tired. Given what you've described, 30sec/30sec is probably a good place to start. Take a short mid-week run with them and see how it feels. If it feels really good, try 1:00/30 sec the next time out. If it's too much, drop back to 30sec/1:00 (or more). Experiment until you find one that works for you and then as you get fitter, increase them.

2. Are you following a standard plan from someone like Higdon or Galloway? I ask because a jump from 6 miles to 10 miles in a week is huge. Most plans recommend that you only increase your total mileage by about 10% per week to keep from getting injured.

3. If you're having trouble with the mental side of the running, try using something to engage/distract yourself from the running. Some people use music. I find that a good audiobook with a compelling story that you WANT to hear the next part of can really help distract the mind from overthinking the activity while letting the body do what it knows how to do.

4. Don't focus too much on moving quicker. Speed will come with (or after) conditioning. If you are worried about meeting pacing requirements, try to be as close to the pacing as you can without overdoing it now. Come race day, the adrenaline will typically carry you further and faster than you performed in training.

If your last race was in 2015 and you went from 0 to 6 miles in three weeks, I can see how it would hurt. Perhaps you need to back off on the mileage just a bit. I definitely would not go up to 10 next week. That is an injury waiting to happen. I also agree with Bumbershoot. Intervals by time might be more helpful because it will keep them even. As you eventually get faster, you will cover that same time frame faster. Good luck to you!

There's been some good advice given out so far and here are my suggestions to you.

1. I think you will find intervals will help you a lot. The key there is to rest your legs before they get tired. Given what you've described, 30sec/30sec is probably a good place to start. Take a short mid-week run with them and see how it feels. If it feels really good, try 1:00/30 sec the next time out. If it's too much, drop back to 30sec/1:00 (or more). Experiment until you find one that works for you and then as you get fitter, increase them.

2. Are you following a standard plan from someone like Higdon or Galloway? I ask because a jump from 6 miles to 10 miles in a week is huge. Most plans recommend that you only increase your total mileage by about 10% per week to keep from getting injured.

3. If you're having trouble with the mental side of the running, try using something to engage/distract yourself from the running. Some people use music. I find that a good audiobook with a compelling story that you WANT to hear the next part of can really help distract the mind from overthinking the activity while letting the body do what it knows how to do.

4. Don't focus too much on moving quicker. Speed will come with (or after) conditioning. If you are worried about meeting pacing requirements, try to be as close to the pacing as you can without overdoing it now. Come race day, the adrenaline will typically carry you further and faster than you performed in training.

Thank you so much for your advice! It means a lot

If your last race was in 2015 and you went from 0 to 6 miles in three weeks, I can see how it would hurt. Perhaps you need to back off on the mileage just a bit. I definitely would not go up to 10 next week. That is an injury waiting to happen. I also agree with Bumbershoot. Intervals by time might be more helpful because it will keep them even. As you eventually get faster, you will cover that same time frame faster. Good luck to you!

Thank l you so much!

I hate to be that guy, but if you have not been running at all I think that you should forget about the Dark Side half. Going from the couch to a half marathon in 7 weeks is not smart even if you are in great shape otherwise. I have been running for 30 years and wouldn't do it.

Defer and build a better plan for your next race.

In regards to NSAIDS like advil, etc...in general DO NOT take for running, but if you do, the guide says wait at least 6 hours, can drink without being sick and peed once.

But just don't do it...take tylenol or good sense, but in moderation. Remember tylenol can affect liver, but nsaids like advil when paired with running can damage kidneys

I have a feeling also that if you're going for "distance intervals" and "Doing those just to make the running done faster" then you're probably pushing yourself to go too fast too soon.

Like others have suggested, switch to timed intervals- that way you're not forcing yourself to sprint just to get the running over with. Come race time, you're going to be doing 13.1 miles. You need to figure out a way to keep yourself upright for a very long time and that's going to take a lot of stamina and knowledge of pacing. If you use up all your steam by sprinting in the first 5 miles, you've still got 8.1 to go and that will be a very LONG 8.1!

You can do this, but you can't push yourself too hard too fast otherwise you're basically asking for an injury that will off put any training since you'll have to take time off to recover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter