Really close to quitting the Dark Side Half Marathon.... Help

1. I actually took it as the 6 mile run was not your long run that week? If so, maybe try shorter maintenance/midweek runs so you arent so burned out. If not, definitely do not jump to 10 miles next. I have finished half marathons fine and well with only having trained to 9 miles.

2. I personally cant do small intervals well. My body doesnt like the transition. But, I do walk for a minute every half mile. Like you said, it gives my mind just enough of a rest that it feels not as hard. Similarly, I do my runs like this: I run away from my place to half the distance and I tell myself "you are almost at the turn around point! Then all you have to do is go home!" It is silly but SUPER motivating. I feel like I accomplished my run already at the halfway.

3. IMO, it sounds like you are running too fast for your current conditioning. I found that made me feel the same way, and adjusted appropriately. Just an idea. It is also possible your goal of mailbox to mailbox is too small and the effect is that your run will "never end" so even though you are going faster, it is draining you mentally?

4. If you can walk it if it feels too hard, I say keep the race! I could walk a half without issue. If you feel the same you may as well try and just enjoy the course if you have to stop and walk. If you are not sure you could walk to the finish, that is where I would consider deferring.

GL :)

Interesting situation. Obviously you know the physical demands on running a half. I think the biggest factor you need to address is your mental game. If you are mentally dreading the run, your mind is defeated and body will follow suit. Thus is just a bad situation. Running doesn't become easier, you just become stronger and faster. A few tips, some gave already been said, :

- use that 10-mile run as a peak run, two weeks before the half
- that two week taper will help rest your body
- in the mean time, focus on a re-building a solid base. 2-6 mile runs
- mix running paces from run-to-run. Have some runs be easy, moderate, etc don't always run the same pace
- have you tried fartleks (random intervals of faster running mixed with a normal running pace)? Might be a way to make time pass as you'd be focusing on one random starting point and stopping point ( ex. Tree to mailbox, street sign to hydrant, etc)
- stretching and/or yoga will help loosen muscles as wee as reduce the chance of injury

Hope these help and best of luck to you.

I use music to help, I run from one song and walk to another. That's what screwed me on my princess run - my ipod earphones crapped out. I also sing to the songs, it kinda helps with breathing for me.

Are you wearing the right shoes with the right support? That makes a HUGE difference. Don't just go and buy shoes, go and get fitted for a true pair of running shoes at a place like a Fleet Feet or Track Shack (or whatever your local running store is). Your running size is usually different that your street shoe size. Make sure you get proper insoles. I have high arches and insoles, and I over pronate. My feet are screwy, so a visit to my local running store is a must. I have spent about 1/2 to two hours trying to find the right shoe. Also you need to find the right support garments. Just don't throw on any old bra - make sure it is a good fitting running bra and holds in all the right places. Spent almost the same amount of time in finding a good running bra as I have finding a normal bra at Victoria's Secret!

Get some good supportive running socks, and support stockings/knee highs for your legs. That helps my mom.

Drinking water after running helps, as does moving after a running. Don't flop down in a dead sweat - keep moving afterwards. My mom takes salt tablets, and they help her, but I can't vouch for it.

Good luck in the race, and mainly, do your best.

Update on one of your commenters--I did my 8 mile long run Sat and blew out my knee at mile 5 (I think it is the patella tendon?)--didn't realize that it was bad so I finished the run. I am going to see a sports medicine doc tomorrow. I've been resting since then but I plan to walk all of it if I am not allowed to keep training/get in enough. I'm glad I at least know I CAN run 8 miles. But if you do end up walking, I'll walk with you :)

Do you use the Nike plus app? When I started training for a 5K, I was able to chose beginner, intermediate, advanced and it planned out my training up until race day. They have the same settings for 10k, half, and full marathons. It talks to you through your training runs and you can add a playlist so that you're able to listen to music. It might help! Good luck. DON'T GIVE UP! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter