Rent A Car Or Not??

NTDIANE

Mouseketeer
HI,

DO YOU NEED TO RENT A CAR TO STAY AT US HOTELS, I KNOW AT DISNEY I NEVER RENT A CAR, BUT I NEVER STAYED AT UNIVER. BEFORE. IS THERE ENOUGH TO DO ON THE PROPERTY SO THERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO HAVE A CAR.
I AM NOT GOOD WITH DIRECTION, I WOULD LOST HALF THE TIME,'IT MAY NOT BE WORTH DRIVING.
WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS?

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

DIANE

We were there for three nights - had the car in valet parking... and got it out 3 days later. Never saw it, except for one time when my DD wanted some shoes out the car and we had it brought around.

Have a great time.

Bob

PS - I believe you can rent cars at the front desk.

We stayed at RPR for 7 nights in July and just took a taxi to whenever we decided to go somewhere. It was a little under $5 each way to Wet n' Wild (I-4) and about $12 each way to Sea World. If you take a taxi to the I-4 area, there are city buses you can ride in either direction. The I-4 bus fare is really cheap. They do run free shuttle buses from the hotels, but never at the times we wanted. The free water taxi at the hotels drop you off at a dock at City Walk. Universal and IOA are both right there. The taxi sounds expensive until you think about paying $6 per day just to park your car onsite.

Hi Elcpz314! Well I got the fan club card from tinkerbarb, so now we are set to go! Can't wait!

As far as the car rental, I've had a mini van reserved for a while now with Dollar. I got a good deal, its about $317 with all taxes for 8 days. At least by Alaskan standards, that's a good price. I've pondered the same question for us, whether or not to keep the car. When I thought about it, if we don't get one, we would have to pay for a shuttle from the airport to our hotel, and then when my MIL comes in, she would have to take a shuttle, and then when we move to the Polynesian, we'd have to get another cab or shuttle, and I plan on going to Seaworld one of the days we are staying at the Royal Pacific, so I guess I could do the I-4 trolley (if that was what you were talking about) but how do I get there to use it? I don't think they leave from the on site hotels. Even with the $30 parking, wouldn't it be cheaper for me to just stick with the van rental? Let me know what you think. I know it would definately be less of a hassle not to have to worry about picking one up, returning it, etc. and my husband isn't fond of driving in what we consider "heavy" traffic, since we live in a small town in Alaska. But I'm just wanting to make the right decision for us, you know? Thanks!! Kelly

I am also debateing about the rental car. I know i will need one for the first 7 days as we are off site. Then we move to the HRH for 6 days. The price for a 2 week rental for a minivan is 525.00. Ouch! If we dont use the rental for the full 2 weeks, we will have to bring it back to airport, get ride to HRH, then get ride to airport from HRH. But it will cut the price in 1/2. Still thinking about this one!:confused:

I always rent a car when we go to Disney, but last October when we stayed at HRH for 3 nights, I drove into the hotel parking lot at check-in on Sunday, and didn't move the car until Wednesday when we checked out. With the 2 theme parks, citywalk, the movie theaters, etc., there is so much to do that you really don't need a car for short periods at least.

Well with us staying 5 nights, most of the time will be spent at the parks and the resort, because we get in so late on the first night that we won't be able to attend the parks until the next day. So that leaves 4 days of parks, and one of those days I might do Seaworld, my husband is not interested, but I may take the kids. I understand its about $14 one way for all of us from the RPR, so that isn't too bad. Or we could take the shuttle if it goes at a decent time. The only other thing is I was thinking that one of the 4 days I would want to do some shopping and checking out I-Drive, is there any good shopping worth going to? I also wanted to see "Titanic" the exhibit that day. I don't know if I'll have time to do all that, I may forgo Seaworld, since its not part of our 2 for 5 day pass to US/IOA. I'm just trying to avoid the car sitting in the parking lot like you guys are talking about. I am still keeping my Dollar reservation since we got a good deal, but will make up our minds closer to the time we leave, we may end up canceling it. Kelly

Does anyone know what the price would be each way to take a shuttle or taxi from the airport to Universal?Were considering not keeping the rental car once we leave Disney and go to Universal as we have never used the car there.Thanks

We used "Quik Trans" in July @ $29 each to US (RPR). That was for a private shuttle just for our family---that wouldn't stop at any other hotels on the way. It was only $3 or $4 more than the big shuttle bus would've been. Check on one of the Orlando visitors sites to see if Mears or any of them have online discount coupons to print out.

TRY TIFFANY TOWNCAR SERVICE, I THINK IT IS 80.00 ROUND TRIP, PLUS THERE IS A $5.00 COUPON ON THERE WEBSITE.

DIANE

If you are staying on site, I would say you would not need one. Now if you venture off to I Drive or something, keep in mind you can catch a taxi, but if you do it alot, you may be better off getting a car. IMO, there is so much to do on site, you wouldn't need to leave unless you truly wanted to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter