report on 9/11/04 trip!!!!

nancysue

Earning My Ears
Mission:Space
I didn't go on the first time Al went (I know, I know, chicken...) but he finally talked me into it and I LOVE IT! It is my new favorite ride! I was ready to go right back on after the first time, even tho my legs were a little wobbly (kind of like the way your legs are after being on a boat for a while). (and, because I know I've read some discussion about whether someone over 50 should go on this ride -- I'm over 50:)

All the hype leading up to it was starting to scare me, but Al kept telling me I could do it, and it was great! I'm sooooooooooooooo glad I went on it. As a reward (actually as a bribe) Al got me the Mission: Space pin!! Very, very cool. In my opinion, this is the best ride Disney has EVER put together.

Mickey's Philharmonic
was great too. Saw that twice, and noticed things the second time around that I didn't the first. A definite "must see."

Make a Wish Fireworks at the Magic Kingdom
All I can say is WOW--WOW--WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen anything like it!! Disney really outdid themselves this time.

Animal Kingdom
The safari ride keeps getting better and better -- I guess because the animals are getting comfortable. And I just plain like this park. Roamed around it quite a bit, and went on the ride "A Bugs Life" again, and once again thought it was terrific.

FOOD
We ate at BOMA's in Animal Kingdom Lodge and JIKO's. Both were good, Boma's maybe a bit better. But the service and selection at both were excellent. Boma's isn't quite as pricey as Jiko's but the atmosphere isn't as nice either, so it makes sense. BUT, I liked both.

Tried FLYING FISH on the Boardwalk and very much enjoyed the food. VERY expensive, but worth it.

Also went to the French Bistro, the place on the second floor in France. VERY VERY nice -- my favorite out of all of them.

The one place that disappointed us was the resturant in the castle in the Magic Kingdom. The meal was "ok" but not worth the price. The desert was sooooo bad I actually sent it back after one bite. That's not something I do -- it has to be REAL bad for me to get cranky. The waiter shook his head and said that he knew it was bad, and would take it off the bill, and did so. But what a shame.

WEATHER
Weather was great! A little rain here and there, but nothing that caused us to put on rain gear. It was that lite, sprinkly type of rain and never slowed us down. Matter of fact, this was probably the best the weather has ever been while we were at Disney. And the crowds were WAY WAY down. A lot of people canceled because of Ivan, so there was never a wait (other than the 1 or 2 minutes to actually get on the ride.) Disney cast members kept telling us (the tourists) how lucky we all were, and we knew it!

Saw quite a few trees down on the way to the resort (traveling from the airport) and a good number of homes had those blue tarps over the roofs, so quite a few people had damage. But considering what could have been, it was not like those horrible scenes from the islands.

The temperatures were a little high: mid 90's most days. So I got a little more tan than I was before I left, which is a first for me. Very sunny.

Thanks for the report. What was the dessert you had that was bad at Cindy's? I'm eating dinner there on my upcoming trip and want to make sure I don't order it!

The desert was Creme Brulee, and it was just AWFUL. The waiter said he though they were going to take it off the menu. I had the filet for my dinner, and altho the menu said "8 oz" it was in fact TWO "4 oz" steaks -- which, not to be picky here, is an entirely different cut of meat. If I had known that, I would have tried something else on the menu. Honestly, for the money, it wasn't very good. I know we won't be going back there -- the reason we went in the first place was because we stayed for the fireworks, and didn't want to rush to the MK from another park. Unless you are going with small children, or children that really enjoy the characters (there is an opportunity after dinner to take a picture with the princess in a room you must pass through when leaving) I don't think the place is worth it.

we were also there 9/11-9/19 and couldn't believe how empty the parks were - I thought it was too hot though!

we did mission space last year and everyone but my mom felt slightly sick after it. we gave it a second chance this year and we all loved it! I think we were so worked up and nervous about it the first time that it ruined it for us. Didn't want to risk a second chance but it was soo much cooler this time!

we also love AK (we actually stayed at AKL this trip!) and we got some spectacular photos of two tigers fighting. We've done Boma and Jiko and enjoyed both and Flying Fish is on my list for next trip.

thanks for posting!

Can you give more details about Bistro de Paris?

What did you have - are the tables really that close to one another - did you sit by the windows and maybe see some of Illuminations - any info. would be appreciated!

We are trying it for the first time in November.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter