Ride sharing around WDW

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
Curious about other people's experiences with Uber/Lyft at WDW. We'll be staying at Bonnet Creek Resort and trying to make the rental car decision. In regards to the Magic Kingdom, is it a problem to take an Uber to the Contemporary and walk to the Magic Kingdom? Also, regarding park opening and closing, did you often find surge pricing in effect, and if so, would it be less expensive to take a regular taxi?

We'll be there for 14 days, and would be looking at around $600 (best case) for the car itself, then an additional $250 for parking. That breaks down to about $60 per day. If we do Uber instead, we'll be looking at probably 2 round trips per day. If we figure on $15 each way, we're around the same cost. However, on a day when we go to DHS, from Bonnet Creek, we'll likely be looking at about half that amount.

We take Uber/Lyft often at Disney. I would think you could take it to the Contemporary. If the guard gives you a hard time tell him you are there to grab a drink at the bar or shop.

The only problem we’ve had with rides at closing is availability. There are often cabs sitting there so we sometimes take one. It’s well worth it IMHO. I’d gladly pay to avoid Disney buses.

Definitely take your Uber/Lyft to either the Contemporary or Grand Floridian when you're going to MK. We made the mistake yesterday of taking our Uber to MK and it lets you off at the TTC, where there were about 2 zillion other people going through security, etc. No one can stop you from visiting another resort. I mean, you're a potential customer, and Disney loves money!

Also, regarding park opening and closing, did you often find surge pricing in effect, and if so, would it be less expensive to take a regular taxi?
A couple of comments about surge periods, and hopefully someone like Joel with recent local experience can add, correct, or clarify:
  • I always recommend that everyone have both apps on their phone, because the companies' prices do vary, and their surging varies considerably.
  • During a surge period, I would certainly check taxi prices if Uber/Lyft are running double the normal fare or greater. A cab might be less expensive. Probably not, but worth checking.
  • One new aspect of surge (Lyft calls it Primetime) is that Uber has very recently (last week) changed the way they pay surge to drivers.
    • Prior to the change, they would charge the rider a certain rate (say 2.0x) and pay drivers a lesser rate (maybe 1.7x).
    • But now, they no longer pay the drivers a multiple -- and it might cause problems for riders. Now they still charge you a multiple, but they pay drivers a flat rate (like $2.50 extra).
    • Lyft still uses the multiple system and it will take the Lyft code kids quite some time to change, if they even can.
  • The effect on riders during busy periods could be two-fold:
    • Most drivers drive for both companies, so if Uber is paying a small flat surge amount, drivers may well (should) turn Uber off. That will increase your surge and decrease availability on Uber -- and have the opposite effect with Lyft. So surge time is the classic argument for having both apps on your phone.
    • Also, the surge amount is initially shown to Uber drivers as a flat fee -- regardless of distance...and that's a critical point for drivers.
    • Therefore, drivers may either call to see how far you are going, or ask you where you are going before they let you in the car. If your ride is longish, don't be surprised if the driver cancels on you -- nobody wants to drive 20 miles for $2.50 extra.
    • Uber does make adjustments on long rides, but nobody knows what the threshold is or how they calculate it. I had several long fare surge adjustments last week, and I swear I think they just make up a number and add it to our pay!

No one can stop you from visiting another resort. I mean, you're a potential customer, and Disney loves money!
Stop from visiting? No, this is correct. Stop vehicles from entering? They can and do when it's busy enough.
Lyft still uses the multiple system and it will take the Lyft code kids quite some time to change, if they even can.
If they even want to. Not aping Über would seem to benefit - so attract - drivers.

If they even want to. Not aping Über would seem to benefit - so attract - drivers.
True to a degree, especially in busy places like WDW. But Lyft has a LONG way to go to become the "better girlfriend."

And don't forget that both companies are pushing toward IPO's early next year and they need to make their financials look as attractive as they can. Increasing rider prices without increasing driver pay is a key to that objective.

We stayed 6 nights at Hilton bonnet creek - spent approx $400 on Uber including to and from the airport- we only used the hotel shuttle twice and went all over Disney property
It was perfect for us and cheaper than car rental and parking at the hotel and parks

I still laugh when the term 'ride sharing' is used. To me that is what I call a car pool as if you are traveling together with co-workers going to work. In reality it is an online taxi cab service.
"Ridesharing" is "your friend with a car." It features easy smartphone ordering; very quick pickup; generally much nicer, cleaner vehicles; very inexpensive transportation; and easy credit card payment with full documentation. Easy, quick, cheap.

Car pooling is one of those great ideas that never worked.

Here in Miami, we offer toll-free carpooling. You sign up as a car pool, and there are no tolls. Even the I-95 Express Lanes (which can be up to $11 one-way) are toll-free. The county also has an office which coordinates carpools, connecting drivers and riders going to the same place. And nobody uses car pools. One person per vehicle is the American Way!

I think the term "ridesharing" is related to "the sharing economy", wherein one thing (a car in this case) is used by several people instead of everyone having their own private thing.

Eventually, if the companies' plans come to fruition, you won't be having someone drive you where you're going, you'll just hop in and the car will take you on its own. Drivers are just an intermediate step on the way to the future.

There is a true ridesharing service in Canada, where, similar to the shared scooters and bicycles in major US cities, subscribers just take an available car and drive it to their destination. IIRC, subscriber's are charged time and mileage in addition to their subscription fee.

Last edited:
Hmm - apparently they're in Orlando, too -- except it says you have to return the car to the same place you got it. Looks like you have to sign up to see where cars are available.

I got an email ad when I flew WestJet to Vancouver earlier this year, and I think the Canadian web site said you could park it anywhere within the service area. I had no idea they had expanded to the U.S.

Did some internet research. Zipcar was bought by Avis some years ago. There are a lot of complaints on the web about declining service since then: dirty cars and ones with mechanical problems, unwarranted charges, and unresponsive customer service.

Seems there are also a couple of less extensive car sharing services with better reviews, including one by Enterprise Car Rental, but they appear to be only in a few cities and mostly just in college areas.

We take Uber/Lyft often at Disney. I would think you could take it to the Contemporary. If the guard gives you a hard time tell him you are there to grab a drink at the bar or shop.

The only problem we’ve had with rides at closing is availability. There are often cabs sitting there so we sometimes take one. It’s well worth it IMHO. I’d gladly pay to avoid Disney buses.

I totally agree. I took Lyft quite a bit last trip, as (in my opinion) the bus quality has deteriorated significantly.

Keep in mind that the guards at the Contemporary were kind of nasty. I was able to say I'm staying on property and meeting a friend for breakfast at Chef Mickey's. For that resort have a clear specific alibi.

If all things were equal in regards to price, would you opt for Uber or renting a car?
If all things were equal, I would be deeply suspicious that I had missed something, lol!

Yours is a great question, but it's a question which is going to depend greatly on the composition of your group (how many, ages, constraints, etc), where you are staying, how you plan to visit WDW, and what else you plan to do.

Families with teenage kids who do rope drops and commando until they drop have one set of needs. Groups which are going to split up and go different places have different needs. Families with young kids who want to go back to the resort mid-day for swim/nap breaks have other needs -- as do those who want to spend a good portion of their time doing non-WDW things (Kennedy Space Center, US, Sea World, shopping, etc).

So I think you need to really think in detail about your transportation needs. A common mistake I make is underestimating the "other things" we're going to do -- especially dining and shopping -- and that can lead me to think Ubering and car rental are about equal, when in fact we might spend considerably more Ubering. So I'd suggest you really dig deeply into your plans to avoid that mistake.

Another factor is convenience. We always drive our own car to WDW, we've been many times, we know our way around, etc. so for us having a car at our disposal is simply THE way WDW is done, and we wouldn't do it any other way. However, we leave on 12/26 for 8 days in NYC and Boston and didn't even consider renting a car either place.

This is also NOT an all-or-nothing choice. A couple of years ago, we spent two weeks in Northern California. We Ubered around SFO, and then rented a car for one day of sightseeing where Ubering would not have been practical, and then drove to Yosemite NP for the rest of the trip. It was a perfect blend of the two options.

So this is a very complex question, and another person's simple answer might well be the worst possible answer for you.

Last edited:
I think it will be pretty close in price. We're at Bonnet Creek for 13 days, and will be at the Disney parks for 10 days, Sea World 2 days. Car rental (right now) is just under $700. Add in another $250 for parking and say $50 for gas, and we're at $1,000. However, odds are that rate could go down slightly.

If we Uber, non-surge pricing based on estimates averages about $14 each way. So, we go to the park, back mid afternoon, then back at night and we're at around $60 per day. So for Disney that's $600. To get from MCO to hotel, add another $50. Each way to Sea World will be about $30. So that's $120. Then $50 back to airport. So we're just over $800. However, that doesn't include potential surge pricing.

So, it really will be very close price wise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter