Ride sharing around WDW

The term ride sharing was used in an attempt to bypass government regulations, taxes and fees. Why should we have to pay a fee to the airport for access? Just friends giving friends rides.

That logic isn't working. Municipalities are regulating ride share companies, sometimes similar to taxis.

Originally it wasn't clear if drivers had insurance

The term ride sharing was used in an attempt to bypass government regulations, taxes and fees. Why should we have to pay a fee to the airport for access? Just friends giving friends rides.
Uber and Lyft DO pay the same pickup fees at airports and seaports as taxis. The pickup fee is charged to the rider and paid directly to the airport/seaport by the rideshare company.

The only purpose for local airport ACCESS permits is to radically limit taxi supply to keep prices artificially high -- for the benefit of the taxi owners...NOT taxi drivers.

That logic isn't working. Municipalities are regulating ride share companies, sometimes similar to taxis.
Not in Florida, they aren't. Not since July 1, 2017.

BTW, MCO is a prime example of the benefit to consumers. Prior to the new state law, Lyft was not allowed to pick up at MCO at all. In addition, the only Uber allowed was Uber Select, which happens to be priced pretty close to taxi fares. So when the airport was opened up, X, regular Lyft, XL, cars with child seats -- everything was available. And the pricing came way down. The corrupt stranglehold was broken and consumers benefited.

Originally it wasn't clear if drivers had insurance
Originally, Adam and Eve were naked.

Since Uber has operated in Florida, every single rider has always been covered for $1 million, and it was quite clear to anyone who cared to check. Uber's internal requirements were so stringent the Legislature adopted them for all rideshare in the entire state. That insurance level, incidentally, is FAR more than many taxi companies carry, and taxi insurance varies widely from city to city.

Uber and Lyft DO pay the same pickup fees at airports and seaports as taxis. The pickup fee is charged to the rider and paid directly to the airport/seaport by the rideshare company.

The only purpose for local airport ACCESS permits is to radically limit taxi supply to keep prices artificially high -- for the benefit of the taxi owners...NOT taxi drivers.
I thought one purpose is revenue $$$. We rent a car, we pay airport charges. We use a car service or taxi they pay an access charge. I can't think of a reason why an Uber passenger shouldn't be paying the same kind of charge.
Not in Florida, they aren't. Not since July 1, 2017.

BTW, MCO is a prime example of the benefit to consumers. Prior to the new state law, Lyft was not allowed to pick up at MCO at all. In addition, the only Uber allowed was Uber Select, which happens to be priced pretty close to taxi fares. So when the airport was opened up, X, regular Lyft, XL, cars with child seats -- everything was available. And the pricing came way down. The corrupt stranglehold was broken and consumers benefited.

Originally, Adam and Eve were naked. Uber has been in business for under 10 years. Adam and Eve were how many years ago?

Since Uber has operated in Florida, every single rider has always been covered for $1 million, and it was quite clear to anyone who cared to check. Uber's internal requirements were so stringent the Legislature adopted them for all rideshare in the entire state. That insurance level, incidentally, is FAR more than many taxi companies carry, and taxi insurance varies widely from city to city.
I agree with your points. My point, perhaps poorly stated, was originally Uber was trying to use their new category of "ride share" to circumvent those rules. They failed and now comply.

One airport, I thought it was MCO, Uber drivers were continuing to pick up even after Uber was informed by the airport to stop. The airport threatened to tow the cars unless it stopped. Again, I'm not sure which airport. Uber agreed to pay the appropriate fees and are now allowed.

I agree customers are getting better deal from the ride share companies vs traditional taxis. I suspect some, maybe much, of the savings is at the expense of drivers compensation. Doesn't Uber's replacement to surge pricing allow them to cut the drivers share of the fare?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but those Minnie Vans also serve Bonnet Creek. I have no idea what any of this stuff costs- we always rent a car at Bonnet Creek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter