Rideshares with booster seats?

aml1676

Mouseketeer
I see people mention Uber and Lyft all the time here, as in "I got tired of waiting for the bus so we got an Uber." I haven't used a rideshare with my kiddo, but I'm just wondering how to navigate with a kiddo who still needs a booster seat? I'm concerned that we'll need to rideshare when we're there in October and I'm just trying to be prepared. I plan to use Disney transportation as much as possible and really don't want to rent a car and have to deal with parking.

No. Bring and install your own booster seat. A lot of people recommend the inflatable Bubble Bum.

A very, very few Uber drivers might possibly carry a car seat in the trnk, but Uber ended this booking category ages ago. Lucy never offered a car seat.

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to think MinnieVans won't be back. None.

In the Orlando market, Uber offers ONE car seat in some UberX, Uber Black, and Uber Black SUV vehicles. Availability is limited and there is an extra fee for the car seat. They do not offer TWO car seats.

The car seat option is still there, and you can check your Uber app for availability and pricing. Just enter some location in the WDW area and a destination, and the car seat option will show up with pricing.

Lyft never has offered a car seat option.

Personally, I would follow suggestions above and bring my own to avoid availability problems, sanitation problems, and the higher fees.

We took a mi-fold with us every day in case we wanted to use Uber/Lyft, but that was when we had a stroller to keep it in. It’s pretty lightweight and compact but I still wouldn’t want to carry it around all day in my backpack.

We took a mi-fold with us every day in case we wanted to use Uber/Lyft, but that was when we had a stroller to keep it in. It’s pretty lightweight and compact but I still wouldn’t want to carry it around all day in my backpack.
bubble bum is inflatable, and if I'm not mistaken, weighs one pound.

How old is the kid? Ages 6 and up are not required to have a booster seat in FL. We only used a booster for the 4 year old when we Uber'd from POP to Poly one morning and let the 7 year old sit in the seat like an adult.

How old is the kid? Ages 6 and up are not required to have a booster seat in FL. We only used a booster for the 4 year old when we Uber'd from POP to Poly one morning and let the 7 year old sit in the seat like an adult.

Just because it’s not required doesn’t mean it’s safe. The way people drive around Disney...there’s no way I’d feel comfortable with a 6-8 year old not in a booster.

Just because it’s not required doesn’t mean it’s safe. The way people drive around Disney...there’s no way I’d feel comfortable with a 6-8 year old not in a booster.
Doesn't mean it's not safe either. That's good that you've made that decision for your family. Let other people make those decisions for their families.

Doesn't the need depend on the child's size, not just age? I mean, there are adults who fit within the booster seat guidelines.

Doesn't the need depend on the child's size, not just age? I mean, there are adults who fit within the booster seat guidelines.
Yes, definitely. In Florida (and most places) legality is determined by age. But the key to safety is the size of the child.

If the child is too small for seatbelts to provide the right protection, they need a booster.

So legality is one thing, but the most important thing is the safety of your child.

It does. But the vast majority of kids under 9 need to be in a booster. There are giant kids out there for sure, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Doesn't mean it's not safe either. That's good that you've made that decision for your family. Let other people make those decisions for their families.

A person is supposed to be 4’9 to ride without a booster safely. That would be an awfully big 7 year old. I just don’t like when I see people make unsafe recommendations to others on this board, even if it’s legal.

supposed by whom? There is no recommendation by the NHTSA on specific size. The recommendation is based on does the belt sit where it is meant to. The AAP agrees with this recommendation and states that that is "usually" 4'9". If you go by some of the "recommendations" out there we could be discussing an 11 year old that is 5'2" and 95 lbs.

I also made no recommendation, I stated what the law in Florida is, and what the decision my wife and I made when we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter