READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck on the ride again. Been here for about 15 mins. We got a lot farther than our first ride. SIL and BIL are on. They spoke to GET and were success in explaining what happened this morning.
Just waiting to be evacuated now. 😫😫😫😫

Yay that they got to ride, boo that the ride broke down. :(

The head scratcher I have is, I prepared, I tested the app at home, I was ready to fast finger the boarding group, and we only had 2 people to go on it. I don't understand where I screwed up? Also, frankly I was not prepared to spend 90 minutes waiting for MFSR, or the craziness. I didn't plan my FPs great at HS, we were all supposed to go in the evening and decided not to, so the FPs were planned later. I guess I see others on here getting a lot of attractions done in the morning, either I'm missing something or it just was not possible that day, left disappointed in the AM.

If it's any comfort, I'm in the same boat - I practiced at home and I am really, really good at getting stuff like this in general; my husband was visibly shocked that I had failed to get it. I don't think either of us "screwed up," something about the app is just not quite working as it should, for whatever reason, so that if you happen to hit it wrong or at the wrong time you get stuck in an endless loop that dooms you to failure in crowd days like last week where BGs were all gone before 8:05 every day. If BGs start regularly lasting over half an hour again, this becomes less of a big deal.

The only attractions we were able to do were ones we had FPs for; HS was insane last week to the point if it being fairly unpleasant. I managed to pull some extra FPs through refreshing both the night before and while we were there, so other than Rise we did get everything else we wanted but we pretty much did our FPs and then hightailed it back to the relative serenity of Epcot.

We got boarding group 5 today, which I think was the first one. I couldn't believe it. We just did what everyone here has talked about. Had the app open about thirty seconds before and started the process as the hour rolled over. Our group was called while we were still signing our son up for Jedi training, then we went on our Alien Swirling Saucers FP first then headed over. We had watched the ride before to make sure my son could go on, and it all worked smoothly as far as I could tell. We had pretty amazing luck for our first trip. Even got a MFSR FP later in the day by randomly checking. Pretty lucky day.

The Chart on Post #2 has been updated.

- 123 BGs were called (61 regular / 62 Backup) for a 10.25 per hour average
- Not a bad day, but off of the last four which saw 131, 132, 147, & 144 BGs called (averages of 10.92, 11.0, 12.25, and 12.0)
- The long-term average is 9.4 BGs per hour, so still solidly above average
- BGs lasted 13 minutes, continuing the trend of some relatively large differences day-over-day (last four days were 3 mins, 5 mins, 40 mins, 34 mins), although these numbers have bounced around rather wildly over time

The Chart on Post #2 has been updated.

- 123 BGs were called (61 regular / 62 Backup) for a 10.25 per hour average
- Not a bad day, but off of the last four which saw 131, 132, 147, & 144 BGs called (averages of 10.92, 11.0, 12.25, and 12.0)
- The long-term average is 9.4 BGs per hour, so still solidly above average
- BGs lasted 13 minutes, continuing the trend of some relatively large differences day-over-day (last four days were 3 mins, 5 mins, 40 mins, 34 mins), although these numbers have bounced around rather wildly over time
With the down time today and the return FPs, I'd be really curious how tomorrow goes. While they started pumping out some more BGs later in the evening, reports were that it went down and *really* couldn't get to all of that 123. I think, what, 3 or 4 breakdowns today?

Are they still prefilling the SD queue before the 8 am start time like last week? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth rope dropping SD now.

im not 100% sure, but I think so because people were on the coaster almost immediately when park officially opened. We entered the park around 715 and went towards slinky and we’re stopped about halfway between the corner and the toy story land sign. We were off in about 50min.

We were in the last group to be called today, 127 , which we got at 8:02am and got called at 7:00pm. Waited 45 minutes in line before it was announced the ride was broken and closing for the evening. We got fast passes to try again tomorrow and park tickets for tomorrow after talking to guest relations. We got in line a little after 7pm. Thanks everyone for the tips here but we still had issues with the app this morning despite being well researched and having three adults trying.

*SUPER LONG POST ALERT!*

Hi all - Our family is just back from our WDW trip and had a great day at Galaxy's Edge (despite going on a level 10 crowd day, the day after President's Day). I attribute our fun day 100 percent to great advice I gathered from this forum. So to pay it back, I wanted to share our experience, in case it's helpful for anyone out there planning a trip.

We went as a family of four, including a 4 year old and 6 year old. Our objective was to do all the GE highlights in one day - Smugglers Run, ROTR, build a droid, and try blue/green milk. We did it all plus a Ronto Wrap and had a great time.

Tuesday, Feb. 18:
5:30AM My husband and I woke up and got ready (we were staying at Swan); put the kids in a double stroller still sleeping (in Star Wars PJs, of course!), covered them each with a light blanket that could be folded up and put in the bottom of the stroller
6:00AM Left Swan and walked to HS
6:30AM Arrived at HS - I misunderstood the advice about staying "almost all the way to the right" - to clarify for others, you might want to go 3 or 4 stations from the right when you're going through security, but then veer ALL THE WAY to the right when you're going through the tapstiles. At least on the day we went, they were allowing all guests through the Passholders tapstiles, and those had very short lines.
(Can't remember the time...) Once we were allowed through the tapstiles we walked briskly with the double stroller to the area right outside the Galaxy's Edge entrance - we made it to the area right outside of Muppets 3D, which was decently close to the front of the crowd-holding area (this placement was important for us, as we were planning to rope drop Smugglers Run)
*We situated ourselves in an area on the right edge of the street (if facing the entrance to Galaxy's Edge), next to the side walk - this was a good area because cast members were keeping the side walks clear, so we had an open area to one side and it made being in a densely packed crowd feel less claustrophobic
*This general area was great to be in because the restrooms here (next to the Ms. Piggy fountain) were open, and I could take advantage of the waiting time to take our kids to the restroom.
*Also - we took an iPad with two sets of headphones and a splitter, so the kids were happy to wait (in what is otherwise a pretty overwhelming crowd) because they were cozy in their double stroller with blankets and watching Frozen II
7:45AM: I made sure my phone and my husband's phone (both iPhone X):
-Were set on low power mode
-Had Wifi turned off
-Had MDE up and we'd modified a FP to help the app register us as in the park
7:50AM: We packed up all our items (iPad/headphones went in a backpack, blankets were folded and put under the stroller, etc)
7:59AM: We watched the clock icon on the iPhone home page (as it's set to true time) and watched the second hand until it was at 15 seconds to 8AM - then reopened MDE
8:00AM EXACTLY: Hit "find out more," selected members of our party, and hit join boarding group, we got BG 17
8:03AM (maybe): Cast members started leading the pack into the land and, as others have advised, we stayed to the right - as we approached Smugglers Run cast members offered to take our double stroller and park it for us, they showed us the area where it would be - then we walked on Smugglers Run
(At this point I stopped documenting times, but we moved from one thing to the next and had no waits our whole time in the land)
-After Smugglers Run we had been called for our ROTR BG with a 2-hour return time
-We decided to get Ronto Wraps and sat in the cafe area of Ronto Roasters and ate them. I thought the Ronto Wrap was very good, but that the Tatooine Sunset (non-alcoholic) drink was excellent
-Our kids used the restrooms in the marketplace area (and changed out of PJs and into shorts and t-shirts), then we looked in the marketplace shops for a bit
-Then we went and did ROTR - it was awesome!
-Then we grabbed a blue and green milk for the kids, and an alcoholic blue milk for my husband and I to share - I liked the blue drinks, the green wasn't my favorite but it was fun to try
-After a little down time at the milk stand it was time for our 11:15AM Droid Depot reservation - our kids made a BB8 and LOVED the experience (we did the package with the carrying case and "resistance" personality chip - it was by a mile the best souvenir from the trip)
-After Droid Depot we sat in a shady spot with a great view of the land and the kids played with their BB8 in a contained corner (there were plenty of cast members passing by, no one seemed to have an issue with that)
-Then we headed back to the Swan by Friendship Boat around 12:30

Later in the evening we came back and did Toy Story Land with fast passes for Slinky Dog Dash. Before we hit TSL, my kids wanted to introduce their Droid Depot BB8 to the "real" BB8 at Launch Bay. We got some very cute pictures of that encounter and my kids rate it as one of their favorite memories from our vacation.

It was a super fun day and everything went astonishingly smoothly. I realize there's a lot of luck factored into getting a BG, but all of the advice I gathered from this forum helped tremendously. Thanks to all and I hope this (extremely long!) post is helpful to some - especially those going with young kids.

This is a random question — but have they ever closed DHS due to it being at capacity? I’ve heard it has happened at MK but am just curious as I’ll be there during spring break and am wondering if crowds are going to swell further for RoTR and also those interested in rope dropping MMRR, etc. and whether they cap it at some point 🤔 just wondering if it could happen and how it could impact the boarding group situation. Currently anticipating crazy crowds and am thinking I need to get there around 6:30/6:45 to be toward the front of the pack — sound right?

Last edited:
im not 100% sure, but I think so because people were on the coaster almost immediately when park officially opened. We entered the park around 715 and went towards slinky and we’re stopped about halfway between the corner and the toy story land sign. We were off in about 50min.

Yes this morning the SDD line was pre-filled... I think just from the entrance to the ride though. We were a bit back in the big group behind the line. We’re off the ride about 8.25am this morning.

*SUPER LONG POST ALERT!*

Hi all - Our family is just back from our WDW trip and had a great day at Galaxy's Edge (despite going on a level 10 crowd day, the day after President's Day). I attribute our fun day 100 percent to great advice I gathered from this forum. So to pay it back, I wanted to share our experience, in case it's helpful for anyone out there planning a trip.

We went as a family of four, including a 4 year old and 6 year old. Our objective was to do all the GE highlights in one day - Smugglers Run, ROTR, build a droid, and try blue/green milk. We did it all plus a Ronto Wrap and had a great time.

Tuesday, Feb. 18:
5:30AM My husband and I woke up and got ready (we were staying at Swan); put the kids in a double stroller still sleeping (in Star Wars PJs, of course!), covered them each with a light blanket that could be folded up and put in the bottom of the stroller
6:00AM Left Swan and walked to HS
6:30AM Arrived at HS - I misunderstood the advice about staying "almost all the way to the right" - to clarify for others, you might want to go 3 or 4 stations from the right when you're going through security, but then veer ALL THE WAY to the right when you're going through the tapstiles. At least on the day we went, they were allowing all guests through the Passholders tapstiles, and those had very short lines.
(Can't remember the time...) Once we were allowed through the tapstiles we walked briskly with the double stroller to the area right outside the Galaxy's Edge entrance - we made it to the area right outside of Muppets 3D, which was decently close to the front of the crowd-holding area (this placement was important for us, as we were planning to rope drop Smugglers Run)
*We situated ourselves in an area on the right edge of the street (if facing the entrance to Galaxy's Edge), next to the side walk - this was a good area because cast members were keeping the side walks clear, so we had an open area to one side and it made being in a densely packed crowd feel less claustrophobic
*This general area was great to be in because the restrooms here (next to the Ms. Piggy fountain) were open, and I could take advantage of the waiting time to take our kids to the restroom.
*Also - we took an iPad with two sets of headphones and a splitter, so the kids were happy to wait (in what is otherwise a pretty overwhelming crowd) because they were cozy in their double stroller with blankets and watching Frozen II
7:45AM: I made sure my phone and my husband's phone (both iPhone X):
-Were set on low power mode
-Had Wifi turned off
-Had MDE up and we'd modified a FP to help the app register us as in the park
7:50AM: We packed up all our items (iPad/headphones went in a backpack, blankets were folded and put under the stroller, etc)
7:59AM: We watched the clock icon on the iPhone home page (as it's set to true time) and watched the second hand until it was at 15 seconds to 8AM - then reopened MDE
8:00AM EXACTLY: Hit "find out more," selected members of our party, and hit join boarding group, we got BG 17
8:03AM (maybe): Cast members started leading the pack into the land and, as others have advised, we stayed to the right - as we approached Smugglers Run cast members offered to take our double stroller and park it for us, they showed us the area where it would be - then we walked on Smugglers Run
(At this point I stopped documenting times, but we moved from one thing to the next and had no waits our whole time in the land)
-After Smugglers Run we had been called for our ROTR BG with a 2-hour return time
-We decided to get Ronto Wraps and sat in the cafe area of Ronto Roasters and ate them. I thought the Ronto Wrap was very good, but that the Tatooine Sunset (non-alcoholic) drink was excellent
-Our kids used the restrooms in the marketplace area (and changed out of PJs and into shorts and t-shirts), then we looked in the marketplace shops for a bit
-Then we went and did ROTR - it was awesome!
-Then we grabbed a blue and green milk for the kids, and an alcoholic blue milk for my husband and I to share - I liked the blue drinks, the green wasn't my favorite but it was fun to try
-After a little down time at the milk stand it was time for our 11:15AM Droid Depot reservation - our kids made a BB8 and LOVED the experience (we did the package with the carrying case and "resistance" personality chip - it was by a mile the best souvenir from the trip)
-After Droid Depot we sat in a shady spot with a great view of the land and the kids played with their BB8 in a contained corner (there were plenty of cast members passing by, no one seemed to have an issue with that)
-Then we headed back to the Swan by Friendship Boat around 12:30

Later in the evening we came back and did Toy Story Land with fast passes for Slinky Dog Dash. Before we hit TSL, my kids wanted to introduce their Droid Depot BB8 to the "real" BB8 at Launch Bay. We got some very cute pictures of that encounter and my kids rate it as one of their favorite memories from our vacation.

It was a super fun day and everything went astonishingly smoothly. I realize there's a lot of luck factored into getting a BG, but all of the advice I gathered from this forum helped tremendously. Thanks to all and I hope this (extremely long!) post is helpful to some - especially those going with young kids.

Impressed with your perfect timing you managed! Walking on MFSR, grabbing breakfast, wandering SWGE, and then riding RotR with no waiting around is a dream morning. You couldn't have booked that one more perfect 60+ days in advance :).

This is a random question — but have they ever closed DHS due to it being at capacity? I’ve heard it has happened at MK but am just curious as I’ll be there during spring break and am wondering if crowds are going to swell further for RoTR and also those interested in rope dropping MMRR, etc. and whether they cap it at some point 🤔 just wondering if it could happen and how it could impact the boarding group situation. Currently anticipating crazy crowds and am thinking I need to get there around 6:30/6:45 to be toward the front of the pack — sound right?
Yes, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom have each only closed twice in the past 10 years. Both hit a Phase 2 closure on December 28, 2011, and each reached that same level during Christmas week of 2009.

If you have time to practice from home then you could try the "count to 3" method after your cellphone hits 8:00am EST. I have been able to get a boarding group on the first try every time since I started to wait a few seconds. Before that I was trying a second before or exactly when the clock hit 8am and that wasn't working. You can play with the wait time, too, and see what it takes to get the join boarding group button. Once you can it on the first try by waiting a couple seconds you will feel more confident. :)

The question is if this will work when you are in the park. When practicing at home this works fine for me as well.

We were in the last group to be called today, 127 , which we got at 8:02am and got called at 7:00pm. Waited 45 minutes in line before it was announced the ride was broken and closing for the evening. We got fast passes to try again tomorrow and park tickets for tomorrow after talking to guest relations. We got in line a little after 7pm. Thanks everyone for the tips here but we still had issues with the app this morning despite being well researched and having three adults trying.

Very generous that they gave you fastpasses and tickets. Didnt they say that they wont give fastpasses when you are in the backup groups?

I read many times about shutting your phone off wifi when trying to obtain a boarding group. Many times in the past when I had no wi fi the app would not open for me or work just in general before ROTR. Is there a way in setting to change this option? or something else I should be doing to have the app work without wifi ?

Today's our day! Got the bus from OKW at 6:45am and arrived just now at 7:08. Thankful we woke up early thus far, since they didn't post the times in the app OR the bus board.
- Through bag check at 7:16 and tapstiles at 7:21
- Tapped "Find Out More" 3 seconds after 8 and the Join Boarding Group button immediately went red, got BG 5! 😃 Thank you so much to these boards for making this easy for me! I'm on t-mobile on data with a Galaxy S10e for reference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter