Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still angry about our experience yesterday. They have got to fix this! It's so annoying and frustrating.

We got boarding group 77 (78 was the cutoff) at 8:00:45 in the morning. Cool.

Around 3:30pm our BG was called so we made the trek from Cars Land all the way to SWGE just to find out that the ride is broken. Ugh. They said we could come back anytime that evening to ride it when it's working again and our BG will be honored.

Go back to DL around 6:00pm and decide to ask the CM at the time board if the ride was currently working vs. trekking all the way back to SWGE again to find out. He said that it just broke down again! Ugh. I asked him if he thought we should go have dinner and then try again and he said, "Yes, that should be enough time for it to get to working again." I also asked him how long the ride would be open tonight and he said, "Until 9pm." That was a lie.

So, we go have dinner at the Grand Californian restaurant that's by the pool. It ended up taking almost two hours just to have salads and sliders! Ugh. Luckily the DL app said that the ride was still open so we headed straight to the ride after dinner. By the time we got there, they said it was closed! Unbelievable! This was around 8:15pm.

I spoke with the manager who was actually very apologetic about it and even genuine. I told her that a CM at the time board told us the ride would be open until 9:00pm. She said other guests had said the same thing and that he was giving us incorrect information (she was happy to know where this false information was coming from though). She gave us FastPasses for something else and said unfortunately that was all she could do. She said I could file a complaint with City Hall.

So, as we're exiting the park, I stop by City Hall to file my complaint. What a waste of time this was! The guy was condescending, had such attitude, and should not be working in Guest Relations. He scratched down some "notes" on a piece of paper and really did not care at all what I had to say. I told him everything and asked him why the ride wasn't open until 11:00pm when the park closed. He said it takes...and I am quoting him here..."3 hours to reboot the ride." What?! I said that Disney should not have even designed a ride that takes three hours to reboot much less open one that's going to continue to break down. He gave the whole BS spiel about it being all kinds of new "state of the art" technologies using wifi sensors that all must work in sync and that the reason it breaks down most of the time is because of guests! He actually blamed the guests for causing the ride to break!! I couldn't believe it.

I then told him about our dining experience and how that caused us to miss even having a chance to get on the ride that night. I asked him if he could comp our meal that we had at the Grand Californian for all of the issues we had today and for that being the reason we didn't get in line for the ride in time. He said that he has nothing to do with that restaurant and it would be up to that manager to do that. I said, "Aren't you all a part of the Disneyland Resort?" He said, that he can't do anything for issues I had elsewhere. I call BS on that.

At this point, I was just wasting my breath because this guy was not going to do anything to make me feel better about the day...in fact he made me even angrier about the experience. So, I just left and told him I'd write a letter to someone in Disneyland senior management...not that it will matter. Ugh.

Sorry to rant but it really pissed me off.

I do have some questions after this whole experience that maybe you guys can answer...

- Does it really take three hours for the Rise of the Resistance to reboot?

- Are guests causing the ride to break?

- Did it matter that I went to City Hall to complain? (my guess is no)

- To whom can I write a letter to share my frustration and also let them know that they should have the app tell you if the ride is broken/closed vs. having to walk all the way back there?

- Why don't they have return boarding group passes for another day if something like this happens?

- I don't think it's that technologically advanced so why doesn't it work after all of these months of testing it out?!

- Will this ride ever work?

- Does Disney really care that I had a bad experience? (probably not)

Really? You're asking how this process could possibly be considered ridiculous when people are freaking out, stressed out, and anxious with the prospect? Obsessed with researching a single ride distribution system and a 6000 post forum topic? And then the possibility to ride a ride at Disneyland comes and goes within 60 seconds? OF COURSE it's ridiculous! Some people following this thread reported that this whole process wrecked their day!

Whether or not people choose to participate in the ridiculousness all depends on their tolerance for all that comes with it, and their level of desire to ride the ride.

I plan to participate in the ridiculousness. Wouldn't be the first time... won't be the last, I'm sure!
Yep. I’m really asking. After all, what is ridiculous to one person may not be ridiculous to another and vice versa. For example, I would find a standby line for this attraction to be ridiculous, but I’ve seen others advocate for this very thing.

I also think your post is exaggerating. While this thread may have 6,000 posts, everything a person needs to know to be successful is found in the first two or three posts. It’s not rocket science.

I'm still angry about our experience yesterday. They have got to fix this! It's so annoying and frustrating.

Around 3:30pm our BG was called so we made the trek from Cars Land all the way to SWGE just to find out that the ride is broken. Ugh. They said we could come back anytime that evening to ride it when it's working again and our BG will be honored.

Go back to DL around 6:00pm and decide to ask the CM at the time board if the ride was currently working vs. trekking all the way back to SWGE again to find out. He said that it just broke down again! Ugh. I asked him if he thought we should go have dinner and then try again and he said, "Yes, that should be enough time for it to get to working again." I also asked him how long the ride would be open tonight and he said, "Until 9pm." That was a lie.

So, we go have dinner at the Grand Californian restaurant that's by the pool. It ended up taking almost two hours just to have salads and sliders! Ugh. Luckily the DL app said that the ride was still open so we headed straight to the ride after dinner. By the time we got there, they said it was closed! Unbelievable! This was around 8:15pm.

I spoke with the manager who was actually very apologetic about it and even genuine. I told her that a CM at the time board told us the ride would be open until 9:00pm. She said other guests had said the same thing and that he was giving us incorrect information (she was happy to know where this false information was coming from though). She gave us FastPasses for something else and said unfortunately that was all she could do. She said I could file a complaint with City Hall.

So, as we're exiting the park, I stop by City Hall to file my complaint. What a waste of time this was! The guy was condescending, had such attitude, and should not be working in Guest Relations. He scratched down some "notes" on a piece of paper and really did not care at all what I had to say. I told him everything and asked him why the ride wasn't open until 11:00pm when the park closed. He said it takes...and I am quoting him here..."3 hours to reboot the ride." What?! I said that Disney should not have even designed a ride that takes three hours to reboot much less open one that's going to continue to break down. He gave the whole BS spiel about it being all kinds of new "state of the art" technologies using wifi sensors that all must work in sync and that the reason it breaks down most of the time is because of guests! He actually blamed the guests for causing the ride to break!! I couldn't believe it.

I then told him about our dining experience and how that caused us to miss even having a chance to get on the ride that night. I asked him if he could comp our meal that we had at the Grand Californian for all of the issues we had today and for that being the reason we didn't get in line for the ride in time. He said that he has nothing to do with that restaurant and it would be up to that manager to do that. I said, "Aren't you all a part of the Disneyland Resort?" He said, that he can't do anything for issues I had elsewhere. I call BS on that.

At this point, I was just wasting my breath because this guy was not going to do anything to make me feel better about the day...in fact he made me even angrier about the experience. So, I just left and told him I'd write a letter to someone in Disneyland senior management...not that it will matter. Ugh.

I do have some questions after this whole experience that maybe you guys can answer...

- To whom can I write a letter to share my frustration and also let them know that they should have the app tell you if the ride is broken/closed vs. having to walk all the way back there?

- Why don't they have return boarding group passes for another day if something like this happens?

- I don't think it's that technologically advanced so why doesn't it work after all of these months of testing it out?!

I would be irate, too! I don't have answers to your questions, but just wanted to let you know that I commiserate with your unhappiness. I would also write an email to Disney Guest Relations with what you just said, and if you can provide names (especially of the CM at City Hall) even better. They should be better trained to deal with situations like this since clearly they are going to keep happening until they can get this ride on track (irony of trackless ride intended, LOL). It seems as if WDW has been much better with customer service than DL in situations like this (free tickets, etc.).

1) It's not open until 11pm because it takes them hours to do the regular maintenance for it to open the next morning. It has closed at 9pm (if not earlier) nearly every day it's been open. (It's not going to be open for Star Wars Nite, either.) But that's standard reset maintenance. A reboot during the day apparently takes 60 to 90 minutes.

2) There have been stories so far, including people dropping phones onto the floor and getting run over by the vehicles (which they're not designed to handle). No idea what happened yesterday.

3) The problem is that the ride was running at the time you were called, and I don't think there's a ride in any of the Disney parks that sends a notification if it's down. (With the possible exception of FP holders getting the multi-experience replacement.) If you knew your time was close, why be over at DCA, anyway?

6) Have you actually ridden it? It's not a "normal" ride by any stretch.

7) We're barely a month into operations. Earlier this week, they had several days that it looked like they'd figured everything out and were running very, very well. Something unusual happened yesterday, worse than most of the days that the ride has been open. You just got caught in that. That unfortunate, but it happens.

After a buggy day yesterday and today do you think they're likely to cut it off at the regular boarding groups and not let in any backups? My friend is in the very first backup group, we're three away from that, and it's 7:15PM. I am refreshing like a fool and crossing my fingers!

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your awful experience. I'm angry and frustrated for you! It angers me that Disney disappointed your family like that and didn't even care to make it up to you. They should have given you a FP for a BG the next day and paid for your dinner.

For what it's worth, I had dinner with an Imagineer at WDW a few months ago. He emphasized that the best way to file a complaint with Disney was writing a physical letter or email to corporate. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly who he said to email but I think it was on the app or website. He said that those letters are taken seriously and are a better way than complaining to Guest Relations. I know that that won't erase your negative experience but it may worthwhile for you to write a letter.

On a side note, I specifically asked him why the new rides seem to have a lot less capacity and whether they consider wait times when designing new rides. His reply infuriated me! He said that he and his fellow imagineers love lines because they have the opportunity to add all kinds of little details. It gives the guests time to appreciate those details. I do appreciate entertaining lines, but I personally like a fast-moving one more.

The lower number moving up made total sense but it was when it went back down again and then starting ticking up again (all while the ride was still down) that confused me!
Sometimes it does go down again when it comes back up - I believe this is to call back groups that were called shortly prior to a breakdown, but it does seem to happen inconsistently.

Going to head over there tomorrow morning with the hope of getting a late BG.
What is your best guess at the time I should try and get the BG at.

Normally I book it right away, this time I figure give it 45 seconds, but wondering what someone else may recommend.

After a buggy day yesterday and today do you think they're likely to cut it off at the regular boarding groups and not let in any backups? My friend is in the very first backup group, we're three away from that, and it's 7:15PM. I am refreshing like a fool and crossing my fingers!
They just called 81 which is the first backup group.

Something I learned today. I had to go by Guest Relations anyway to get my DAS so I decided to do it at DCAs version of City Hall. And I asked about it removing my old pass I’ve long lost the physical copy of. So I wouldn’t lose time tomorrow accidentally selecting the lost pass. They were able to remove it from the account. So if anyone else needs to remove an old ticket/pass from their account for BG and have time to do it before they try for ROTR this is something you can do.

You may also want to try using the account of someone else in your party. Your tickets can be linked to as many accounts as you like. If you use a "clean" account that only has tickets of those attending the park or riding that day linked, then you can simply proceed through the process of joining a Boarding Group without worrying about de-selecting any of the tickets.

Thanks for that recommendation. As it happens on our last trip we finally linked everyone up to everyone's accounts! Had done a few trips where I was the only one that had everyone. What timing. :rolleyes:

Normally I book it right away, this time I figure give it 45 seconds, but wondering what someone else may recommend.
surfca up above said he got BG77 yesterday at 45 seconds, so that's probably a pretty good guess.

Thanks for that recommendation. As it happens on our last trip we finally linked everyone up to everyone's accounts! Had done a few trips where I was the only one that had everyone. What timing. :rolleyes:

Are the others not able to unlink people? With us since I purchased and linked the tickets initially I was the only person unable to delete tickets, everyone else had the option to delete tickets including their own. But I definitely second pharmama not to bother trying to unlink people in your group that are actually in the park even if they don't want to go in the ride, really this is only something you need to worry about (if at all) if you have linked tickets for people that won't be in the parks

Another data point for you.
Data point. Did 7 second wait from the conference room in GCH today. Grp 80.

I’m sorry you had such a terrible experience, I’d be mad too. Yesterday was not a good day for this ride.

@surfca In the future if you run into a CM at GR whose being rude ask to elevate it to a lead/supervisor. Even if the lead can’t do anything about the meal they should be aware that someone working at City Hall was behaving in that manner. Just my two cents.

As for the length of break down. It seems like other rides it varies depending on whatever the cause behind it probably is.

I talked with a CM this evening explaining my situation and why I might not get back to ride due to elements completely out of control. CM gave me the impression that they’ll probably make an exception due to it being doctors related if I miss the window. Will see how well this actually goes tomorrow morning.

1) It's not open until 11pm because it takes them hours to do the regular maintenance for it to open the next morning. It has closed at 9pm (if not earlier) nearly every day it's been open. (It's not going to be open for Star Wars Nite, either.) But that's standard reset maintenance. A reboot during the day apparently takes 60 to 90 minutes.

2) There have been stories so far, including people dropping phones onto the floor and getting run over by the vehicles (which they're not designed to handle). No idea what happened yesterday.

3) The problem is that the ride was running at the time you were called, and I don't think there's a ride in any of the Disney parks that sends a notification if it's down. (With the possible exception of FP holders getting the multi-experience replacement.) If you knew your time was close, why be over at DCA, anyway?

6) Have you actually ridden it? It's not a "normal" ride by any stretch.

7) We're barely a month into operations. Earlier this week, they had several days that it looked like they'd figured everything out and were running very, very well. Something unusual happened yesterday, worse than most of the days that the ride has been open. You just got caught in that. That unfortunate, but it happens.

1) Why would you design a ride that needs that much overnight maintenance in a theme park that can be open from 7am to midnight? Doesn't make sense.

2) Something else Imagineers should have thought about when designing this ride. They should have known that people would want to take pics while on the ride...or they could not allow phones on the ride like Magic Mountain does.

3) It doesn't matter that there aren't any rides that send a notification if the ride is down. There aren't any rides that have boarding groups either. It's definitely something that could be added to the app especially since they have the technology to send you a multi-experience FP replacement when a ride goes down.

We had a FP for Radiator Springs Racers and knew we would have at least an hour to get back to the ride. That's another flaw with the boarding groups...what happens if you have FastPasses for other rides when your boarding group gets called?

Not sure what happened to 4) and 5)

6) Yes, I have ridden it. Everyone else in my family hadn't...with some coming from out of town. It is a pretty normal ride...basically a couple of pre-shows plus similar ride vehicles to what have been at Tokyo Disneyland for years.

7) When something "unusual" happens like yesterday, they should do something to make it up to the guests who have a horrible experience. Give them a return anytime boarding group or something to make us feel like they care.

It makes me sad that Disney is forgetting about quality guest service. Unfortunately, in a few years it won't matter since 80% of the jobs will be done by robots...if they can get them to work.

I cannot speak to ROTR experience but I will say that when we had a bad experience at WDW and I contacted the guest relations email after we returned home they were responsive. I wasn’t looking for compensation but they gave us one day park hoppers for each member of our party.

It makes me sad that Disney is forgetting about quality guest service. Unfortunately, in a few years it won't matter since 80% of the jobs will be done by robots...if they can get them to work.
And the robots will shut down for 60-90 minutes every 4-6 hours, and have to be turned off at 9:00 PM each night for regular maintenance. So at any one time, up to half the rides in the park could be down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter