Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
136! Nice rebound after yesterday
They stopped calling at 7:30. The only explanation I can think of it that is all the groups they gave out. They clearly planned for an extra hour of downtime, but it never came. Really good performance today with only the one 55 minute downtime.

DHS had a rougher day. It really does feel like the A-team came back to the West Coast.

Another great tuesday operation. One would think if they blew through it like this with 3 hours left that they wouldn't do a surprise standby line opportunity just for publicity sake. Would have been a very nice sendoff for the new CEO ;)

You don't "get" anything until you have selected your party and click the second "Join Boarding Group" button. It doesn't hold a spot for you while you select your party - no communication with the server occurs until that second button gets tapped. At that point it sends the ticket/pass numbers to the server and processes them and hopefully returns your BG number to you.

This is why it is helpful to not have extra tickets in the app - seconds can make the difference between a low and high number, a regular and a backup, or a backup and nothing...
Good explanation -- I've added this to the FAQs.

Hey, do we know what the ip is of the server the disneyland app connects to? Seems like pinging that would give a better indication of latency in the application than just pinging a random speed test server nearby...
Very good question!

The endpoint’s for the virtual queue are all hosted on vqguest-svc.wdprapps.disney.com. Just tested and the server does respond to pings.

View attachment 476652
Bada Bing! Thank you!! :)

I totally didn’t think about local crowd making the second parade busier, going to make it a point to go to the first one.
At DLR, local crowds make many things busier!

So for those of you who aren't sure what we're talking about - one of the things we've been looking at is ping speed, or latency. When you use a speed test app, you are usually getting a ping speed to some server that the speed tester has designated - maybe google or some other local server. However @MonocularVision here has rooted out the actual address of the server that the app has to communicate with in order to send the ticket info to get a group. So if you download a ping app (just search for ping in the app store) and enter the address as noted in his post, you can see in real time how your ping to the only server that matters is doing.

From up here in NorCal, on my wifi, I'm seeing pings of around 50ms. Switching off my wifi (I'm in a pretty dead at&t zone in my house - 2 bars) I am seeing pings of around 500ms. Mr. Vision there is seeing pings from 13-38ms.

My family is going to think I'm nuts, but I'm definitely using this when we go.
Love this!

Also important to note that the IP address you see will change. I just ran it again on Verizon this time and see different results. With how DNS caching and load balancers work, I would expect that whatever ping times you see in a ping app should reflect what occurs in the app within a reasonable time frame.
I love this thread! Thank you for this additional information!

ICYMI-

This morning, there was a major glitch at WDW/HS. For the first time, people who were practicing from home were actually getting boarding group assignments. They haven't started calling groups to the ride yet. Remains to be seen what will happen today.

Following the WDW No Spoilers thread

ICYMI-

This morning, there was a major glitch at WDW/HS. For the first time, people who were practicing from home were actually getting boarding group assignments. They haven't started calling groups to the ride yet. Remains to be seen what will happen today.

Oh wow, so no need to tap in to the park?

To be fair, it is the best 9am opening day on record. We'll see if they can keep it up.
Here's hoping!! I'll be there Sunday for my one and only shot at it!! 🤞But hey, we've never been to DL or DCA so it'll be fun no matter what happens!! Can't wait!

Another great tuesday operation. One would think if they blew through it like this with 3 hours left that they wouldn't do a surprise standby line opportunity just for publicity sake. Would have been a very nice sendoff for the new CEO ;)
They won't ever do a "surprise" standby because it would encourage people to stand around and line up hoping that it would happen again. The whole point of this virtual queue is to prevent that sort of thing. They are doing everything they can to prevent people from lining up and waiting for hours on end both at the beginning of the day and the end of the day.

This is encouraging, though, in that they are clearly putting out a target number of boarding groups that they feel is attainable for a given day and its conditions. While they might not always hit the target, it's nice to know that even if you are the last BG issued, you've got a fighting chance.

They won't ever do a "surprise" standby because it would encourage people to stand around and line up hoping that it would happen again. The whole point of this virtual queue is to prevent that sort of thing. They are doing everything they can to prevent people from lining up and waiting for hours on end both at the beginning of the day and the end of the day.

This is encouraging, though, in that they are clearly putting out a target number of boarding groups that they feel is attainable for a given day and its conditions. While they might not always hit the target, it's nice to know that even if you are the last BG issued, you've got a fighting chance.
You're right. What I would do is make an in park announcement that additional backup groups will be made available in xxx minutes. Then release them. It was an exceptional day yesterday and I hope we have more of them....and with a plan to leverage that success.

ICYMI-

Oh no! They've had some glitches like this in the past. A few days after we rode it there, the boarding groups opened before park opening. Some people didn't know and then found out at park opening when they got super late groups or a back up.

Situations like this, I really do feel bad for the guests in the park. That's really not their fault at all.

Oh no! They've had some glitches like this in the past. A few days after we rode it there, the boarding groups opened before park opening. Some people didn't know and then found out at park opening when they got super late groups or a back up.

Situations like this, I really do feel bad for the guests in the park. That's really not their fault at all.
Yeah, that's a huge Gate 1 fail. Hopefully suffer the same fate we don't.

ICYMI-

I saw that on Facebook this AM. I will be interested to see if it happens on our end too. Hopefully, I will be able to play from work this AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter