ROFR Thread Jan to March 2020 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finally heard something today. Just found out that we PASSED! Has been a very long wait but happy to be through this part

db24---$105-$24982-220-AKV-Mar-60/19, 440/20, 220/21, 220/22- sent 1/8, passed 2/26
Congratulations!!

I did get a update from my agent. Said that Disney sent it to committee on February 12 (30 days after it was sent to Disney). Does going to committee actually mean anything?

I was wondering that myself. I think it just means there were no formal defects with the contract and it's going to the people who decide whether to make you start your months-long process over again.

We finally heard something today. Just found out that we PASSED! Has been a very long wait but happy to be through this part

db24---$105-$24982-220-AKV-Mar-60/19, 440/20, 220/21, 220/22- sent 1/8, passed 2/26
That’s fantastic news!

Last year at this time DVC went on a resale ROFR buying spree, from what I remember. They could be just loading up to sell old resorts for the year right now.

I watch this thread closely as I try to navigate our way through our first purchase (if it ever happens). At first we were on the "Direct" route but then we lost confidence in our guide. That, combined with the upfront "savings" that come with Resale led us to look hard at that route. We found a few contracts that we made offers on, most got rejected, one got accepted however prior to making the down payment it was discovered the seller apparently was not upfront with the resale company as to the availability of points as listed so we withdrew our offer. That along with all the stories of waiting, issues with brokers, contracts being ROFR by Disney, most contracts being partially or totally stripped etc has us back to pursuing Direct I think. We want our first contract to go easy and smooth so I think we will give it another go with a new guide and see how it goes.

I watch this thread closely as I try to navigate our way through our first purchase (if it ever happens). At first we were on the "Direct" route but then we lost confidence in our guide. That, combined with the upfront "savings" that come with Resale led us to look hard at that route. We found a few contracts that we made offers on, most got rejected, one got accepted however prior to making the down payment it was discovered the seller apparently was not upfront with the resale company as to the availability of points as listed so we withdrew our offer. That along with all the stories of waiting, issues with brokers, contracts being ROFR by Disney, most contracts being partially or totally stripped etc has us back to pursuing Direct I think. We want our first contract to go easy and smooth so I think we will give it another go with a new guide and see how it goes.
I really like Gib with Disney if you’re buying direct. He’s super nice, very helpful, never pushy.

Yes, sometimes things get messed up in the resale process but I still think it's worthwhile for the savings and many contracts sail right through with no problems. We own both direct and resale contracts and yes, buying directly is EXTREMELY convenient BUT you pay a huge premium for that. Resale can be an annoying and slow process sometimes but I can assure you that once you have your points, you don't look back. We've had pretty good resale experiences, so I would still recommend it, as long as you don't care about staying in the newest resorts (the restriction on resale points). If you want your (unrestricted) points now and you're willing to pay a premium for it, then direct is your best option. Either way, you'll enjoy your membership.

Yes, sometimes things get messed up in the resale process but I still think it's worthwhile for the savings and many contracts sail right through with no problems. We own both direct and resale contracts and yes, buying directly is EXTREMELY convenient BUT you pay a huge premium for that. Resale can be an annoying and slow process sometimes but I can assure you that once you have your points, you don't look back. We've had pretty good resale experiences, so I would still recommend it, as long as you don't care about staying in the newest resorts (the restriction on resale points). If you want your (unrestricted) points now and you're willing to pay a premium for it, then direct is your best option. Either way, you'll enjoy your membership.
We own direct and resale too, and were not impressed with our first guide (who seemed to be dialing it in) but have liked our new guide (the one who sold us our RIV points).

We own direct and resale too, and were not impressed with our first guide (who seemed to be dialing it in) but have liked our new guide (the one who sold us our RIV points).

This is our hope. :)

I have a great guide. She’s been with the company for a very long time and is not pushy at all. PM me if you’d like her info.

That's kind of where I'm at. If ours doesn't make it through ROFR, I am thinking of just using my escrow payment and closing costs to put towards a direct resale contract when we go in April. I'll pay a little more but we'd have member benefits and we'd leave with points.

That's kind of where I'm at. If ours doesn't make it through ROFR, I am thinking of just using my escrow payment and closing costs to put towards a direct resale contract when we go in April. I'll pay a little more but we'd have member benefits and we'd leave with points.

Yeah that sounds like a good way to go if you already have a vacation planned, I would think that you could apply the cost of your planned trip toward your direct purchase?

We bought 3 days into our trip last April, and a couple days later, we made our NYE reservation at Riviera. We already were in the system, though, and it matched our VGF UY, so it was REALLY fast.

Yeah that sounds like a good way to go if you already have a vacation planned, I would think that you could apply the cost of your planned trip toward your direct purchase?
I hadn't thought about that. Thats something I might be able to work to our advantage too!

I get that people buy direct on here, but there is no way I could justify it. I just had an offer accepted at AKL for $100 per point. If I went through Disney, I would have had to pay $186 per point. In the case of my 160 point contract, that's an extra $13,760! I can absolutely wait for 30 extra days of hassle, after all, in a few months I will have forgotten all about the trouble. And the direct benefits are just of little value to me.

I get that people buy direct on here, but there is no way I could justify it. I just had an offer accepted at AKL for $100 per point. If I went through Disney, I would have had to pay $186 per point. In the case of my 160 point contract, that's an extra $13,760! I can absolutely wait for 30 extra days of hassle, after all, in a few months I will have forgotten all about the trouble. And the direct benefits are just of little value to me.

Wish you luck on your offer. Have you ever purchased direct? We will probably ultimately do a combination of both eventually. The money saved is an obvious benefit but the lack of restrictions when buying direct is a benefit as well. I know points can always be rented and use the cash to buy nights at restricted resorts but that takes time and a certain amount of work, and some luck, much like the resale process. I wonder if being the renter of points isn't the "cheapest" way to go, still pay about 1/2 price or less for rooms, no upfront costs, and no back end costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter