• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ROFR Thread Jan to March 2020 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that people buy direct on here, but there is no way I could justify it. I just had an offer accepted at AKL for $100 per point. If I went through Disney, I would have had to pay $186 per point. In the case of my 160 point contract, that's an extra $13,760! I can absolutely wait for 30 extra days of hassle, after all, in a few months I will have forgotten all about the trouble. And the direct benefits are just of little value to me.

I think for most of the sold out resorts, it makes little sense to buy direct unless you're buying <100 points. But for a 50-point contract, for example, the price differential is going to be less. Say it's $60pp - you'd "save" $3000 on a 50 point contract but you might get a stripped contract and have to wait through ROFR AND have to try to match UY (and still be restricted). For some people, that might not be worth it. But I agree, the more points you're buying at a sold-out resort, the less $ sense it makes to buy direct.

I get that people buy direct on here, but there is no way I could justify it. I just had an offer accepted at AKL for $100 per point. If I went through Disney, I would have had to pay $186 per point. In the case of my 160 point contract, that's an extra $13,760! I can absolutely wait for 30 extra days of hassle, after all, in a few months I will have forgotten all about the trouble. And the direct benefits are just of little value to me.
was that contract stripped? I'd be pretty nervous about ROFR at $100 a point.

I watch this thread closely as I try to navigate our way through our first purchase (if it ever happens). At first we were on the "Direct" route but then we lost confidence in our guide. That, combined with the upfront "savings" that come with Resale led us to look hard at that route. We found a few contracts that we made offers on, most got rejected, one got accepted however prior to making the down payment it was discovered the seller apparently was not upfront with the resale company as to the availability of points as listed so we withdrew our offer. That along with all the stories of waiting, issues with brokers, contracts being ROFR by Disney, most contracts being partially or totally stripped etc has us back to pursuing Direct I think. We want our first contract to go easy and smooth so I think we will give it another go with a new guide and see how it goes.

Keep in mind that the snafus are what stand out or are even are posted the most. There are soooooooo many more transactions that go just fine. Even with Fidelity.

My two longest purchases with the most snafus were direct - different issues and different guides - far and away exceeding my shortest resale or even average resale times.

Last edited:
I think for most of the sold out resorts, it makes little sense to buy direct unless you're buying <100 points. But for a 50-point contract, for example, the price differential is going to be less. Say it's $60pp - you'd "save" $3000 on a 50 point contract but you might get a stripped contract and have to wait through ROFR AND have to try to match UY (and still be restricted). For some people, that might not be worth it. But I agree, the more points you're buying at a sold-out resort, the less $ sense it makes to buy direct.
This is true and why we went resale. We crunched the numbers a lot. We are in the middle of buying 210 BLT at $142. The difference was almost 20,000 between that resale and direct. It is enough points to do a 1 bedroom every year and a half or so. At first we thought we were missing out a lot because the gold pass savings sounds great. But we don't have enough points to go multiple times per year. Even if we planned to do 2 within a calendar year it wouldn't be that often and only save around $1200 per occurrence with the gold pass savings. It would take a lot of years to make up the savings.

Now we could have done two contracts to get the 100 direct points, but that would still be an approximate $9000 premium and we would probably be getting two lesser contracts. In the end we realized what we wanted now was at the original 14 resorts and mainly BLT and would rarely go twice in the same calendar year especially in the near term. If we do get direct points in the future it would be at a resort other than Riveria or Reflections. Those two don't appeal to us as of now. If a phase 2 Polynesian ever went in with 1 bedrooms we would sign up immediately. Or whatever replaces beach club or board walk down the road. But mainly the old saying of buy where you want to stay is the most important and there is no way we could justify a $93 a point premium for a few perks.

Wish you luck on your offer. Have you ever purchased direct? We will probably ultimately do a combination of both eventually. The money saved is an obvious benefit but the lack of restrictions when buying direct is a benefit as well. I know points can always be rented and use the cash to buy nights at restricted resorts but that takes time and a certain amount of work, and some luck, much like the resale process. I wonder if being the renter of points isn't the "cheapest" way to go, still pay about 1/2 price or less for rooms, no upfront costs, and no back end costs.
Thank you. I have bought direct before. A few years back, right after they made resale buyers "stepchildren", I bought 300 SSR points resale, and I bought 25 points direct, because that's all you needed back then to get the blue card. I have since sold them, and am now looking to get back in resale. If they were still allowing direct benefits at 25 points, as opposed to 100 points, I would do that again, but they're not, and I find very little value in the direct benefits anyway.
As far as being a renter goes, it may work out cheaper, but that depends on how the rental market goes. Right now, it costs $17-$20 pp to rent premium resorts, and you have to remember you can pretty much cross AK value, BW standard, and BLT standard off the list, so it' really not that cheap to rent. If I get the deal I just made, I'll have my contract "paid for" in 5-6 years in trip savings (from what it would cost me to rent them) and the contract runs through 2057, so it's a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
was that contract stripped? I'd be pretty nervous about ROFR at $100 a point.
It's not stripped. In fact, it still has some bankable 2019 points as well as full 2020 and 2021. There's a decent chance Disney swipes it, but I am paying 2020 maintenance dues and closing costs at closing, so that may work in my favor. If Disney takes it, I'll find something to do with the $17,900. :)

Pintrader88---$151-$24319-150-BCV-Dec-150/18, 150/19, 150/20, 150/21- sent 2/26
It's not stripped. In fact, it still has some bankable 2019 points as well as full 2020 and 2021. There's a decent chance Disney swipes it, but I am paying 2020 maintenance dues and closing costs at closing, so that may work in my favor. If Disney takes it, I'll find something to do with the $17,900. :)
fingers crossed for you.

That's awesome to see considering all the takens that came through yesterday!
still no PVB's taken though. Really excited to see them still looking at deals though. It felt like they just stopped from last Wednesday until about Tuesday of this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter