ROFR Thread July to Sept 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my pro and con items I have.

BLT pro -location and decent point chart/very good point chart for the location. 1BR/2bathrooms
Con- more like a hotel than a Disney themed resort

AKV- restaurants/ 2 resorts to select from- do we want a resort with large lobby or not. We get both here/ animals
Good point chart 1 Bedroom/2 bathrooms
Con- location- most likely a split stay resort only so a 4 day stay every other year

Riviera- pro-an Epcot resort with years left
Con only WDW restricted resort. The point chart means we need a higher number of points

POLY2 pro- location
CON- I anticipate a high point chart

Possible pro- if it's a separate association it benefits Riviera for us.

Boardwalk pro location great point chart
Con- end date and difficult to get the room type we would want.

We have a BLT trip next week and next August I plan to book an 8-day trip with AKV having 4 days. The other 4 days will be at one of these 3 BWV/BRV or CCV.

We can walk through both Rivera this year and Poly 2 next year.

After next August we can make a decision.
Thanks! This is helpful. We’re going to be staying at AKL on our next trip, and definitely plan to visit Riviera for a meal, to get a feel for it.

Well, after years of waiting, watching, learning (here), and dreaming, I’m happy to report our first contract passed ROFR!

Mrs.LauraSmith---$105-$19073-160-AKV-Dec-0/22, 320/23, 160/24- sent 7/17, passed 8/4

Also, some news received from our closing agent that may be of use to some of you (sorry if it’s already been posted). This last week Disney has been switching to a new internal system. Even though we passed ROFR on Friday 8/4 and all docs were signed and money was sent by Tuesday 8/8, we had to wait to close until this coming Monday 8/14 because Disney isn’t accepting any more closings as they change over their system at the moment. It may be holding up some other ROFR activity as well.

Last edited:

Well, after years of waiting, watching, learning (here), and dreaming, I’m happy to report our first contract passed ROFR!

Mrs.LauraSmith---$105-$19073-160-AKV-Dec-0/22, 320/23, 160/24- sent 7/17, passed 8/4

Also, some news received from our closing agent that may be of use to some of you (sorry if it’s already been posted). This last week Disney has been switching to a new internal system. Even though we passed ROFR on Friday 8/4 and all docs were signed and money was sent by Tuesday 8/8, we had to wait to close until this coming Monday 8/14 because Disney isn’t accepting any more closings as they change over their system at the moment. It may be holding up some other ROFR activity as well.
Yes we have to wait till Monday too for closing

we passed the exact same contract on the exact same time :-) But paid 5 USD per Point more :(

Who knows how low the 2042 resorts go - but just like owners might hold on to their RIV contracts and rent their points out, so will owners at resorts with favorable points charts.
My opinion is that, in the next 10 years or so, the 2042 resorts inventory will be near zero. If their value diminishes as the expiration date nears (as many predict) owners are not going to sell, thus, making getting reservations at the highly sought after resorts (BCV, BWV) even harder to get, increasing the rental value.

I personally don't think there will be a huge shift in resale resorts, except HH & VB, as the 2042 expiration draws near. Yes the cost per point will decrease as it nears, but inventory will be at historic lows as owners use or rent the points vs selling at drastically reduced prices. Just my .02

My opinion is that, in the next 10 years or so, the 2042 resorts inventory will be near zero. If their value diminishes as the expiration date nears (as many predict) owners are not going to sell, thus, making getting reservations at the highly sought after resorts (BCV, BWV) even harder to get, increasing the rental value.
My opinion is that over the next 10 years a LOT of the original owners will die or become infirm and there will be a ton of contracts available all the time.

My opinion is that over the next 10 years a LOT of the original owners will die or become infirm and there will be a ton of contracts available all the time.

If they do and leave the contracts to others, the heirs may just decide to abandon and let them be take back for lack of payment via dues vs trying to sell?

If they do and leave the contracts to others, the heirs may just decide to abandon and let them be take back for lack of payment via dues vs trying to sell?
Some will I’m sure. In an estate situation the heirs can just refuse the contract, surrendering it back to Disney without having to go through any complicated proceedings. If you look through the OC database that does happen from time to time.

I am guessing many people sell their contracts in the years before they die; sure some people die unexpectedly in their sleep, but most people have some period where it becomes clear that they’re no longer in need of their vacation property.

And then of course if the kids (or attorney) do even a modicum of research, even if they don’t want the contract, they’ll accept it and sell it. With over half a million DVC owners, I’m guessing most estate lawyers know that a DVC contract is something of value.

Some will I’m sure. In an estate situation the heirs can just refuse the contract, surrendering it back to Disney without having to go through any complicated proceedings. If you look through the OC database that does happen from time to time.

I am guessing many people sell their contracts in the years before they die; sure some people die unexpectedly in their sleep, but most people have some period where it becomes clear that they’re no longer in need of their vacation property.

And then of course if the kids (or attorney) do even a modicum of research, even if they don’t want the contract, they’ll accept it and sell it. With over half a million DVC owners, I’m guessing most estate lawyers know that a DVC contract is something of value.

I’m not convinced though that with 10 years or less left that the 2042 ones will sell for much..

I guess we have about 8 years to see what starts to happen.

I’m not convinced though that with 10 years or less left that the 2042 ones will sell for much..

I think that it'll be interesting to see how the dues pan out. I mean, they shouldn't be charging for future overhauls, and shouldn't need much of a reserve fund. I think that he points would then have a minimal rental type value that the resale price accounts for.

Agreed, we all have to be careful with how much we pay for 2042 resorts. Once inside 10 years, ppl will very much see the endgame.

My $0.02.. Dis will start selling new associations for the expiring contracts inside 10 years. It will NOT be extensions, but new contracts to new associations. Hopefully existing owners get a break and that they can be sold on resale market... hopefully without restrictions, but doubtful.

Agreed, we all have to be careful with how much we pay for 2042 resorts. Once inside 10 years, ppl will very much see the endgame.

My $0.02.. Dis will start selling new associations for the expiring contracts inside 10 years. It will NOT be extensions, but new contracts to new associations. Hopefully existing owners get a break and that they can be sold on resale market... hopefully without restrictions, but doubtful.

Legally, they have to done certain things to begin selling new resorts. Construction does not have to be finished but far enough along. I would not expect salees any sooner than 6 to 12 months

It's not like people can't see the endgame today, but they are still sometimes paying for BCV and to some extent BWV way more than they are for SSR (2054), BLT (2057), AKV (2060) and even PVB (2066) and CCV (2068) - not to mention Aulani (2062).

Those who are buying 2042 resorts today for $7-$10/point/year + dues (stripped BCV 50 points for $190 from post #623 is over $10/point/year before dues) may not be eager to sell below $60/point in 8-10 years. Some will just prefer to hold to expiration. Others who need the cash, or those who bought for $60/point in the 1990s might be happy to sell for $60/point. On the other side, potential buyers who will tired of playing the SAP and waitlist game at 7 months with some of the highly-desired 2042 resorts may be willing to pay more, despite the math. Other buyers who run the math more carefully, may be more cautious. In the end, supply and demand will determine the prevailing prices. The only thing we know for sure in that the value in 2042 will be zero!

Last edited:
In the end, supply and demand will determine the prevailing prices. The only thing we know for sure in that the value in 2042 will be zero!
Technically, we don’t even know that for sure, if Disney gives existing owners a discount to opt-in to the replacement resorts, it will have option value all the way until the option ends.

For the record, and I say this someone about to close on 101 BCV points at $115/pt, I don’t think anybody should buy in assuming Disney will give any significant discount to current owners for whatever comes next (unless the general economy, Disney company finances, or Florida political climate is so terrible that they they anticipate having trouble selling the next wave—but if anything like that is true, not sure they’d even bother with new resorts instead of selling it off to developers for condos or retail). My best guess is that if they do anything, it will be some sort of very minor perk (anything from opportunity to buy early, to a special hat, to “free” extra 5 points if you buy more than 200, etc).

I’ve been waiting since 7/13 on my subsidized Aulani contract. The broker did say it could take up to 50 days to hear word from Disney but I’m seeing other contracts passing in a timeframe much shorter than mine. Do certain brokers in general have priority or something? Or is Aulani the exception because it’s in Hawaii?

It's not like people can't see the endgame today, but they are still sometimes paying for BCV and to some extent BWV way more than they are for SSR (2054), BLT (2057), AKV (2060) and even PVB (2066) and CCV (2068) - not to mention Aulani (2062).

Those who are buying 2042 resorts today for $7-$10/point/year + dues (stripped BCV 50 points for $190 from post #623 is over $10/point/year before dues) may not be eager to sell below $60/point in 8-10 years. Some will just prefer to hold to expiration. Others who need the cash, or those who bought for $60/point in the 1990s might be happy to sell for $60/point. On the other side, potential buyers who will tired of playing the SAP and waitlist game at 7 months with some of the highly-desired 2042 resorts may be willing to pay more, despite the math. Other buyers who run the math more carefully, may be more cautious. In the end, supply and demand will determine the prevailing prices. The only thing we know for sure in that the value in 2042 will be zero!
They’re not directly comparable because the point charts are so much friendlier at BCV and especially BWV.

I still think all the 2042s are priced resonably vis-a-vis all the other resorts, except Beach Club. You can pay back a $110 BWV contract in 5 years in standard studios no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter