Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

So I ran my Tue run on Monday and my Thursday run on wed. So I'm officially off tonight! And thank god for that because I just spent from 10am to 4pm walking around the Field Museum with 19 pre-k kids. And I didn't realize until we got on the bus that I never really sat down for more than a few minutes...not even during lunch. I mean someone had to take the impossible lids off all those fruit cups and stab all the Capri sun pouches.
My tracker says we did 2.5 miles. I'm zonked and so happy tonight had no run. You can imagine how wiped out roxykiddo is.
If anyone does have a chance to see the Jurassic World exhibit if it goes to your local museum...see it!!!! It's so cool!
IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

Ps I did strides again yesterday and i just picked sidewalk crack landmarks as my start and stop points. And then let myself feel ready again before picking new cracks to start/stop at. I got slower as it went and my rest periods got longer. It was 84 and humid and mega windy but shows I still need some endurance and pace building. BUT I hit 7:45 on the end of a stride and was around 8:10, 8:20 a few times. So that felt cool. Probably big reason they got way harder towards the end of my run. Maybe I need a giant animatronic t-rex to chase me next time :)

What a fun field trip! RoxyKiddo is the cutest!

Way to go on those strides! :)

Thanks...she is the cutest :)

LOVE the picture with you and Roxykiddo. Adorable!!!

I wish we got a few more of just the two of us. I took literally a million pictures yesterday, but they have lots of other kiddos in them. I got ditched on the way home as she wanted to sit with the cool kids in the back of the bus. But then all of them fell asleep within 10 min of us leaving.

HEY! Glad to see your back in the swing of things!

I saw this gif once and now it's all I think about when you say you're doing your strides haha
tumblr_n8w6r0qyNp1t29pujo1_500.gif

I need to get some of the mad tea, that 'drink me' is too cute!

I can totally relate to wetsuit problems, I did a scuba diving course a few years ago and I was regularly in the changing room but myself trying to get one of those things on! We had really thick ones too for the chilly sea!

Hope you're having a good Friday lovely :lovestruc

Hi Everyone...I promise I'm still around...just MIA over the long holiday. Not super connected online but that's ok because we were having a great little relaxing family weekend. I figured I'd do one of those Good, Bad & Ugly updates. But maybe add in a Great too. This week really covered every spectrum. Things were a bit off on my schedule just due to it not being a traditional week, having family over for bbq, etc, so I'm looking forward to more of my routine again.

The Great:
So much family stuff this weekend. We went to a mini-water park in a nearby suburb and kiddo had her fist lazy river tube experience (she's still too little to go by herself) and did a "BIG SLIDE" with a two person tube with her daddy TWICE! Somehow they had perfect glide across the water endings and each time I totally flipped over the moment I hit the water. The kid sized sit-down slow slides were more my speed. I still think a disney water park is going to be too big for her for our fall trip; we'll stick with our hotel pools.
We also got perfect weather for the parade on Monday with barely any sun. Ours has a very small town feel to it and it's mostly about kids getting a years supply of tootsie rolls off the ground that we'll end up throwing away in two days.
FYI: pulling her in the wagon is tough work now that she is big-kid-weight. Over the course of the weekend I got 3-4 miles of just wagon pulling in. Oooph! It was so much easier when she switched to riding her bike to the park yesterday.
tr3.jpg
Pardon the coffee table and couch full of toys in the pic below (actually it can get much messier really fast.)
I had no patriotic wear so I opted for hockey. Hey it was red...albeit the totally wrong season. And check out my tan (just kidding, I slather myself in sunblock constantly.) Our wall of mirrors in our living room is awesome when I'm feeling myself but a curse when I'm not. Makes for lots of fun rainbow reflections in the spring though :)
tr5.jpg

The Good: All of my "easy" runs this week were really pretty good. I hit my paces not too fast, felt controlled and aware of myself. Felt easy like they should be and weather really cooperated. Although I was totally off on my days since hubby is really really really working hard this week (he even swam, bike and ran this morning super early...I never even saw him leave the house.) So started the week feeling really solid with running.
Oh and check out these sweet shoes!
tr1.jpg

Did you think those were mine....because they are not. :worried:
tr2.jpg
Why is my kid 1000% times cooler than me? Her cheap Target shoes keep falling apart, so we went to Shoe Carnival for their BOGO since hubby needed some casual shoes and Nikes are stupid expensive if you're 4. So these were 50% off and I hope they last (her last Nikes a year ago lasted a long time.) I got her .5 size too big on purpose.
I was really hoping they had my size so I could dorkily/awesomely match her but alas they did not.

The Bad:
I was a lazy bum Saturday and Sunday in regards to running. I had no excuse to be a lazy bum other than my time of the month came 4 days early just in time to be annoying on my long weekend off! And we had lots planned during the days and I chose sleeping-in over running early in the mornings. Then we had night time stuff and by then...
So I missed my first true LR paced run. And then I lost track of the what day it was on Monday and did nothing that day too. (to be fair, this was water park/parade day and I certainly was active.) So on Tuesday I told myself I HAD to run a long run no matter what. Oh and I had this before bed because my buddy brought it over and it was as good/bad as I hoped.
tr4.jpg

The Ugly:
Slept in Tuesday. I couldn't believe how well my kiddo was sleeping and I was taking advantage of it. Sleeping in btw is still waking up before 8am.
But once I dusted off the cobwebs in my eyes and drank some water/ate some toast I went on a run at around 9ish. And decided to try a new route that would get me over to the park where kiddo used to play soccer because it has a few little running paths around it that are few different distances (the longest being .8 miles)
I decided I would just do my 5 miles at LR pace that I'd failed to do over the weekend. A few things went wrong. I wore too thick and too long of capris because when I woke up it was only 71. Well...it became 81 real fast, so that was dumb. Once I got a mile in and turned off onto my new route it became painfully clear that there was no longer any shade. Although it appeared there were lots of trees...over in this area they are all in people's backyards which does me no good. And the few little trees out in the front yards where directing shadows just directly around the base of the tree. So I began to cook. And there was no breeze and it was humid. Dead, humid air, full sun, too thick of pants and my hydration the prior night was Zima which is not water. I did just fine hitting my LR pace of 10:52 and up to about 11:00 without too much stress to the system for a good 2.5 miles. And then it started hitting me. All the sun. the running path was nothing but black asphalt and sun and NO SHADE! I used all 5 of their water fountains and started doing run walk. Run for a while, walk for a lot longer. I did just the one .8 mile loop. Lots of people out walking, only one other person run/walking...I think I'd like it on a cooler day. And then I started to get the eye floaties that are a sign of overheating/dehydration. So I turned back toward home and got a bit dis-oriented trying to find the correct street that gets me over the railroad tracks. And adding a full .25 miles onto my route basically. Still with no shade or relief in sight. I found a sprinkler at the end of mile 4 and soaked my whole right side (keeping phone dry) Once I crossed into my neighborhood it was like a changed ecosystem. There were trees everywhere...and a bit of a breeze onto my wet clothes. But I still walked the whole last mile and hit up a water fountain. I asked hubby to have a water waiting for me and texted him that I wasn't doing well and where I was just in case but that I thought I'd be fine. So that sucked. Definite case of dehydration/not being acclimated to running in the heat (I've been night running.) Probably top 3 worst feelings during a run. If it was a real race I'd have just slow jogged the whole thing but I walked because why kill myself on a training run. I averaged 13:55 somehow over 5.24 miles despite a fair bit of walking. Ugh. So now I need to regroup for this week. I don't think it was my fitness that was the issue, it was me being unprepared for the heat. And I'm never running that side of town again on a summer day.

So now this week...which starts a little messed up but I'll make it up.
Roxy Training Week #4: In which I don't quit running because of one bad run even though I wanted to during the bad run.
Tuesday: Already happened...was supposed to be 5 mi @ EA, I attempted to do 5mi at LR. Somehow came out at easier than EA but for the wrong reasons.
Wed: STIRRUP...I'm totally yoga-ing tonight. Center my zen zones or whatnot.
Thur: 1 mi WU + 4 x 1 mile @ strength w .25 mi RI @WU + 1 mi CD
OK - this is a bit new for me...this terminology. @DopeyBadger can you break this down for me? The 1 mi WU I got and then I understand strength pace is 9:29 and the RI means resting interval...but what's the timing of that? Do I do a full 1 mi at Strength then .25 at WU pace OR do I do 3/4 mi at strength with .25 WU?
I'll be hydrated and ready :)
Fri: OFF
Sat: 5 mi at EB w strides. I'll be hydrated and ready :)
Sun: 7 mi @ LR. I'll be hydrated and ready :)

Roxyhubby has his olympic distance triathlon this weekend so everyone think your happiest thoughts. I'll fill you in on how that went on Sunday. My LR will be in the evening...and on my "happy side of town" aka the place with the trees.

Last edited:
The water park sounds so fun! I love a good slide and lazy river.

RoxyKiddo's shoes are awesome! So stylish!

And girl, I totally feel you on this heat/humidity stuff. I went for a 2 mile run yesterday morning at about the same time and died. And now I wonder how I will ever be able to run again!

The water park sounds so fun! I love a good slide and lazy river.

RoxyKiddo's shoes are awesome! So stylish!

And girl, I totally feel you on this heat/humidity stuff. I went for a 2 mile run yesterday morning at about the same time and died. And now I wonder how I will ever be able to run again!

I feel like spring weather gets me a little cocky when it comes to running. The idea that morning will by default be "cool" is silly now. Also the idea that a non-hydrated, improperly dressed long run would be cake because I run just fine up until summer...welp now I remember what hot feels like. I guess better that it happened on a training run by home instead of during my race. Good to at least remember that drinking water and wearing shorts and tank is a thing I should be doing. Doh!
Now I just have my fingers crossed that we luck out on RnR weekend like last year when cool temps were a nice surprise. Ooooh, let's check the forecast.
Ok, so yeah it's gonna be hot. Sat. 7/15 84 high, 67 low, sunshine. Sun 7/16 82 high, 69 low sunny with humidity!!
So glad I'm not running that half. So glad the courses both have the lakefront path involved!

I didn't know they even still made Zima!!

Sorry you had an ugly run. We've all been there. Heat and humidity just KILL me every time. I just try to remind myself how easy it will seem to run when the fall temps hit!

The idea that morning will by default be "cool" is silly now.

Yeah, I feel like this time of year, "cool" is a relative term, and obviously depends on how early you're out. I "slept in" and was out for my 6 mile long run on Saturday at 6:12 AM and it was already 73 with 88% humidity. Ugh. So I was happy to run on a route with a lot of trees. DH can't get himself up and out that early for his runs, so he ends up running in the heat of the day, and I just. could. not. Someday we'll get a treadmill.

Basically, summer+running = gross and hard.

A friend of mine posted a pic of himself drinking a Zima on fb this week - I thought the same thing!

Sorry you had an ugly run. We've all been there. Heat and humidity just KILL me every time. I just try to remind myself how easy it will seem to run when the fall temps hit!

Yeah, I feel like this time of year, "cool" is a relative term, and obviously depends on how early you're out. I "slept in" and was out for my 6 mile long run on Saturday at 6:12 AM and it was already 73 with 88% humidity. Ugh. So I was happy to run on a route with a lot of trees. DH can't get himself up and out that early for his runs, so he ends up running in the heat of the day, and I just. could. not. Someday we'll get a treadmill.

Basically, summer+running = gross and hard.

A friend of mine posted a pic of himself drinking a Zima on fb this week - I thought the same thing!

So we can all agree that summer weather sucks when running. Glad I enjoy it when just meandering and lounging around though.

And the Zima stuff is back for a limited time release this month (til I don't know when.) All I know is I really wanted to try it when I was too young to drink (thought it would taste like crystal pepsi) and turns out it just tastes exactly like smirnoff Ice or Sky Blue (which I'm sure were knockoffs of Zima anyways.)
Everything 90's is cool again...but I can assure you I was not cool in the 90's :)

Thur: 1 mi WU + 4 x 1 mile @ strength w .25 mi RI @WU + 1 mi CD
OK - this is a bit new for me...this terminology. @DopeyBadger can you break this down for me? The 1 mi WU I got and then I understand strength pace is 9:29 and the RI means resting interval...but what's the timing of that? Do I do a full 1 mi at Strength then .25 at WU pace OR do I do 3/4 mi at strength with .25 WU?

Like this:

1 mile at 12:03 or slower
1 mile at 9:29 min/mile
0.25 mile at 12:03 or slower

Like this:

Thank you, this makes total sense! I just didn't want to guess and then guess incorrectly. So I'll be giving my garmin lap button a little workout :) Or perhaps this might be best relegated to the treadmill in the air conditioning with total control on pace; but we'll see.

Like this:

I will have to add that I'm kind of excited to throw in some RI instead of doing straight tempo runs. The 9:29 scares me but maybe it won't be so bad with those RI's in there. I may need to listen to some extreme "pump up" music for this one.

Small tip: For summer long runs, try dressing as if it's 5-10 degrees warmer than it actually is. That way, if it warms up 5-10 degrees during your run, you're still comfy. Better to be a little underdressed early than super overdressed later in the run when you're already hot and sweaty. (I say this from personal experience)

Also ... I'm thinking of looking for a new route (I'm starting to get a little bored of some of my shorter running routes), but I'm a little nervous about doing it during the summer due to the potential for too much sun/no shade. You're braver than I am for trying.

Good luck to Roxyhubby on the tri this weekend!

Small tip: For summer long runs, try dressing as if it's 5-10 degrees warmer than it actually is. That way, if it warms up 5-10 degrees during your run, you're still comfy. Better to be a little underdressed early than super overdressed later in the run when you're already hot and sweaty. (I say this from personal experience)
AGREED!

Loved the update. It sounds like you had an awesome weekend with your cute family- that water park sounded so fun! I can definitely relate to hot and humid runs sapping the life out of me. I HATE running in the winter when it's cold and snowy, but summer running is super hard in its own way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter