• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

I think maybe a race weekend to "have fun" running is just what I need

This sounds like a tough week, but in reading what you have here, it really sounds a lot like heat and hydration impact. Note that you focused on the tough runs and gave your Saturday workout almost no detail. And that workout was fine, yes? So you can do it. You did it this week. You've done it before and crushed your goals, and people like me find that awesome, worth cheering for, and something to aspire to.

But do you know why I follow your journal? Because you're human. Because running is an important part of your life but it's not your entire life, career, or the center of your world. And being human means we run off pace. We don't know what strides are. We fit in running between errands with our kids, taking care of our people and our stuff, spouse's workouts, and (let's face it) wasting time online shopping/on social media because... well just because. So you're human. Remember why you do this, why you care so much, and bring that in to your races this weekend. Run with pride that you're even out there. I hope it's the reset you need!

But do you know why I follow your journal? Because you're human. Because running is an important part of your life but it's not your entire life, career, or the center of your world. We fit in running between errands with our kids, taking care of our people and our stuff, spouse's workouts, and (let's face it) wasting time online shopping/on social media because... well just because.
Well put!!

The important thing is that you kept getting back out there despite some difficulties. It feels easier sometimes to put off the next run, but the courageous thing to do is to get back out there and just keep on keeping on, so I say, well done. :)

(I've been sort of focused on how I'm getting a bit behind on my own training plan the last few weeks which really does no good. I'm a type A person who likes to worry, but I'm working on remembering that life happens [and bad runs happen] to everyone.)

Thank you for your humor and your honesty. This week is going to be great!!!

Wow sounds like you had a tough week. I find summer running is incredibly challenging because of all the things you mentioned. Not being able to be at the pace I could be if it wasn't hot, being disgustingly sweaty, needing suntan lotion every 5 feet so I don't burn, etc. Just remember that you'll be stronger in the fall because of it. At least that's the theory.

Also, I love your ice cream skirt. Such a great skirt.

I legit thought you were posting a snip from a running article about pacing mentality. Was NOT expecting what you actually did post : )

Muhahahaha!

Do pace gremlins have the same rules about not feeding them after midnight etc?

To which I always ask...is 2am before midnight or after midnight? Like when does it become technically before midnight?

I should stop stalling and write my monday update.

LOL, right!

Every now and then, and only before midnight, you get a pace mogwai. One of those runs where it feels so easy, you are gliding along, and check out your pace and can't believe how fast you are running! Those are the great runs!

That's a good one!

July 4th run I wrote about briefly already. I meant for it to be a LR pace for 5 miles. And while I completed my 5 miles (5.23 to be exact because I got a little lost) it wasn't exactly at LR pace (10:52 is LR, btw) and the hot, brutal sun got me in a case of the dehydrated dizzies and well...I ended the thing walking.
My miles were:
11:16
10:58
12:40
14:59
18:35
4:19 (which equates to 19:11)
Can you just feel me breaking down while reading this? To be honest I looked at my watch on mile 1 and saw where I was at. And I pushed beyond my effort to get close to LR pace (not effort) on mile 2 and I think that was my main problem. That and the sun. The sun is still not off the hook.

Keep this T+D adjustment chart in mind during summer:

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.48.29 AM.png

Let's say it was 152-154 out for this run. Instead of 10:52 LR pace, then it should have been 11:28 min/mile. So the first two paces were too fast, and things fell from there.

Let's see the numbers...
WU mile 1 12:52 HUZZAH...I did something right!
Strength mile 9:42 (looking back I can't believe I started getting mad at myself on this one. that's tempo pace during a very hot evening...should have been like HELL YEAH, I'M AWESOME.)
.25 RI 3:12 (equates to 12:56)
Strength mile 10:01 (still not bad right, but I was getting frustrated here)
.25 RI 3:12 (I'm a RI robot)
Strength mile 9:49 (again, in hindsight this seems fine but alas...here's where the tears started because I wasn't even hitting my tempo pace hitting the 9:49 felt like a race effort so race brain + frustration + a day filled with headaches to begin with....)
.25 RI 3:13 (still an RI robot...PS I like RI's...they felt too short the farther I went...makes sense though)
final strength mile...I went .34 miles at the equivalent of 11:45 pace. I was being a baby and near my house and so stopped and cried on my back porch and texted my hubby that I was on the back porch letting the bugs eat me. Then I came in a blubbered some more and was talked down from my emo-place.

Again, an adjusted pace would be 10:00 min/mile. So looks like things went well.

So I was supposed to do 7 miles at LR (10:52). I told myself I'd learned my lesson and to just go with what LR would feel like even if it meant slower times. Just not to push it and just complete it. Easy right?
Let's see the numbers...
Mile 1: 11:27 ok kinda slower than usual
Mile 2: 11:02 hey not bad...I finish an entire water bottle by 1.5 miles. And then I started pushing because I'm dumb
Mile 3: 10:57 wahoo, closer but now I feel like garbage. Hit pause on my watch at home...Start drining water bottle #2. Gesture to hubby I'm doing ok and then throw up 2 fingers like he knows that I mean I'm gonna do a 2 mile lap back to our porch again.
Mile 4: 11:42 ooooph
Mile 5...DNF because I walked
sigh....
I could have finished it at WU pace at least but my face was beat red, I was started to get a pounding in the front of my head and the sweat was just coming full stop.

Again adjusted pace of 11:28 min/mile. Looks right on target for most of the run!

But do you know why I follow your journal? Because you're human. Because running is an important part of your life but it's not your entire life, career, or the center of your world. And being human means we run off pace. We don't know what strides are. We fit in running between errands with our kids, taking care of our people and our stuff, spouse's workouts, and (let's face it) wasting time online shopping/on social media because... well just because. So you're human. Remember why you do this, why you care so much, and bring that in to your races this weekend. Run with pride that you're even out there. I hope it's the reset you need!

This!

Well put!!

The important thing is that you kept getting back out there despite some difficulties. It feels easier sometimes to put off the next run, but the courageous thing to do is to get back out there and just keep on keeping on, so I say, well done. :)

(I've been sort of focused on how I'm getting a bit behind on my own training plan the last few weeks which really does no good. I'm a type A person who likes to worry, but I'm working on remembering that life happens [and bad runs happen] to everyone.)

This!

Chin up as it looks like when adjusting for T+D that your pacing was right on target. Just keep in mind the effort. You've got this!

This sounds like a tough week, but in reading what you have here, it really sounds a lot like heat and hydration impact. Note that you focused on the tough runs and gave your Saturday workout almost no detail. And that workout was fine, yes? So you can do it. You did it this week. You've done it before and crushed your goals, and people like me find that awesome, worth cheering for, and something to aspire to.

Y'all got me a little emotional but in the happy-feels way instead of the mopey pace gremlin way, so thank you for that. I feel like a group hug is in order
:grouphug:

Well put!!

Yeah, I just wanted to erase the bad runs by trying again and I guess I should be proud of that tenacity. Even though I felt like I was giving up a lot during the runs, I guess I never totally gave up overall :)

Hey how about another group hug?
Feels good!

Ya pretty much :boat: :moped: :tiptoe:

I mean I did put my head under the water one time even though I held my nose and sputtered afterwards!
But in actual reals talk...I think I'm thiiiiiiis close to buying a bike and officially putting Naperville Sprint Triathlon on my list for 2018 goals even if it's a one and done. Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close. I need an excuse to buy a sparkly pink visor. I may just be high off tri-spectating fumes.

Wow sounds like you had a tough week. I find summer running is incredibly challenging because of all the things you mentioned. Not being able to be at the pace I could be if it wasn't hot, being disgustingly sweaty, needing suntan lotion every 5 feet so I don't burn, etc. Just remember that you'll be stronger in the fall because of it. At least that's the theory.

Also, I love your ice cream skirt. Such a great skirt.

I love my ice cream skirt too but I haven't had any summery runs yet this year, so I just have to get it out the closet this weekend!

Yes, stronger in the fall...gotta remember that!! It worked last year...but sometimes I become Dory and forget.

Muhahahaha!

LOL, right!

That's a good one!

Keep this T+D adjustment chart in mind during summer:

View attachment 251738

Let's say it was 152-154 out for this run. Instead of 10:52 LR pace, then it should have been 11:28 min/mile. So the first two paces were too fast, and things fell from there.

Again, an adjusted pace would be 10:00 min/mile. So looks like things went well.

Again adjusted pace of 11:28 min/mile. Looks right on target for most of the run!

This!

This!

Chin up as it looks like when adjusting for T+D that your pacing was right on target. Just keep in mind the effort. You've got this!

As always the numbers make me feel better. I probably need to just check in with you after the first "off the rails" run and then the mental bonk of my strength run wouldn't have happened because I would have been mentally more content with how I was doing. Etc Etc. Remind me to bother you next time something goes wonky!

Hey, how about one more group hug?

In happier talk I just got the email that says I will get my Remix Challenge medal wristband at the expo on Friday...which eventually will lead me to this beauty on Sunday...
2ALJgl2MdwpbxvR3YmS-27ZwPXiu6Nem4bXOevn3AzkwRVvaWFKRL5IUUp71NfB96xYDqUmNEfceU04bZcK99YsUzJB2_sIg78pN2VdzZ5KOJR4rzHCcOVnkmZB8Xav4IJWxumxg0u_tEIbOBWs=s0-d-e1-ft

Gotta stay focused on the bling!

And I think it's safe to assume that my air conditioned gym will be normal for T+D so back to my normal set it and forget it easy pace tonight.

Love that medal!! How do you earn the "remix challenge"? (I'm doing the Rock n Roll Half in Philadelphia this September!!) That guitar medal sings straight to my love of Springsteen! =P

Everyone struggles. It's just the way running goes. Summer is especially bad. It's rough, but ... you just have to pick yourself up (literally sometimes) and keep going.
I think a weekend of fun medals is exactly what you need to get back to feeling good!

Love that medal!! How do you earn the "remix challenge"? (I'm doing the Rock n Roll Half in Philadelphia this September!!) That guitar medal sings straight to my love of Springsteen! =P

So for Rock N Roll they are usually a bit more generous in their challenges than many race weekends. For most RnR cities (Chicago included) you just have to cross a finish line on Saturday and on Sunday to get the remix. So since there is a 5k only Sat and 10k & 1/2 on Sun I get the remix for only 5k & 10k..SCORE!

I looked up the Philadelphia for you and it says:
Run either the inaugural 10K distance or the 5K race on Saturday, September 16 and the half marathon on Sunday, September 17 and you’ll be walking away with fun memories, the feeling of accomplishment and THREE pieces of bling.
So if you run that 5k too...
201606-RnR-Medals-1204.jpg

Just sayin...maybe a fun time for a little shakeout run????

BTW here's my Chicago 5k and 10k haul if I finish...the medals are "disney level" nice if not quite as big. Ignore the middle one bc that's the half which is slightly cubs themed and I'm a sox fan sooooooooo. The 5k theme is really fun because the race route runs past the Buckingham Fountain multiple times and finishes there and it's one of my fave spots in the whole city. Married with Children fans should recognize it.
img_9945.jpg

Wow that is one awesome medal, and I'm not even a medal guy...so nice.

If you need any sort of a push to do a triathlon I will be more than happy to shove you :)

Just as long as you don't shove me while I'm on a bike...

In happier talk I just got the email that says I will get my Remix Challenge medal wristband at the expo on Friday...which eventually will lead me to this beauty on Sunday...
2ALJgl2MdwpbxvR3YmS-27ZwPXiu6Nem4bXOevn3AzkwRVvaWFKRL5IUUp71NfB96xYDqUmNEfceU04bZcK99YsUzJB2_sIg78pN2VdzZ5KOJR4rzHCcOVnkmZB8Xav4IJWxumxg0u_tEIbOBWs=s0-d-e1-ft

Gotta stay focused on the bling!

And I think it's safe to assume that my air conditioned gym will be normal for T+D so back to my normal set it and forget it easy pace tonight.

That is one Beauty of a medal. I want one but I am trying so hard to not be enticed by shiny objects and sign up for more races until I figure out how it feels to be properly trained for any race!

Must resist. Must look away from the pretty and shiny object.

Not ONLY! Still more than a lot of people accomplish in a weekend. Aweosme BLING to boot!!

Ok, you are right...not "only a 10k" but for the record I am pleased as punch that I don't have to talk myself into running a half this weekend for it :)

That is one Beauty of a medal. I want one but I am trying so hard to not be enticed by shiny objects and sign up for more races until I figure out how it feels to be properly trained for any race!

Must resist. Must look away from the pretty and shiny object.

Resistance is Futile!

Actually I hear you though! I've done a much better job of picking my spots this year with races, but I do honestly miss all the extra bling. @roxyhubby and I are going to need a medal rack extension soon though even with the scale-back.

AMAZING medal!!! Seriously, I need to look into the RnR Las Vegas one now!

Also just wanted to say thank you for sharing your running journey - the good and the bad. We can all relate to bad weeks of running (or bad months in my running past!) and the fact that you are going out there, excited about a race weekend is totally inspirational and reminds why we love running! (just for bling! haha jk) Seriously, we all love you @roxymama!!!!!

[QUOTE="
Resistance is Futile!

Actually I hear you though! I've done a much better job of picking my spots this year with races, but I do honestly miss all the extra bling. @roxyhubby and I are going to need a medal rack extension soon though even with the scale-back.[/QUOTE]

I love the bling. If we weren't going to be away for that Philadelphia Rock and Roll one I probably would have gone. Philly isn't that far away and my son goes to school there so it is nice to run a race there and visit with him. I've done the Philly Love Run half a few times and it is very well done.

AMAZING medal!!! Seriously, I need to look into the RnR Las Vegas one now!

Also just wanted to say thank you for sharing your running journey - the good and the bad. We can all relate to bad weeks of running (or bad months in my running past!) and the fact that you are going out there, excited about a race weekend is totally inspirational and reminds why we love running! (just for bling! haha jk) Seriously, we all love you @roxymama!!!!!

Ummm...maybe google it asap because it appears that the Las Vegas RnR is a glow in the dark slot machine with rotating little slots. If that's your kind of thing, haha.
I feel like I'm a race pusher right now.
giphy.gif

Edited to add:
RnR-Remix-Las-Vegas.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter