Rude CMs?

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
In the past, many of you have interacted with my either via this board or, indeed, IRL at the park. I believe that I'm always a courteous and kind person -- mainly because I'm a kind and happy person. I hope that never changes.

Lately, however, I've encountered a few less-than-pleasant DL CMs. For the most part, I tend to ignore them. For example, many of the Buzz CMs know me by name or at least recognize my face and often greet me warmly. There's one, however, who I see all the time -- probably the one I see most frequently -- and that one person never, ever acknowledges me. Even when I look him/her straight in the face and smile. A friend and I kind of make fun of the situation. But not recognizing and greeting a guest that you see all the time strikes me as slightly rude. We often speculate that perhaps he's not a happy person or is simply shy. But if that's the case, perhaps DL isn't the best fit for him. The vast majority of CMs are always super nice and helpful.

About ten days ago as I walked past the registers at Pizza Planet with a cup of ice water, the checkout CM called out to me and said something along the lines of "Do you need to pay, sir?" As I held up my cup, I replied "Oh, no, actually. It's just ice water." I could see from his expression that he was mildly peeved; as if he was annoyed that his authority hadn't been acknowledged and/or respected. He then said something like "Well you still have to tell us anyway."

A few points about this. As most of us know, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. "Excuse me, bud. Can I sneak by you?" is far preferable to "Dude. Move yer azz." I didn't like that his tone was mildly rude. I also really didn't like "You have to tell us..." I'm a guest. I don't have to tell CMs anything. If he'd said "In future, would you please let us know so there's no confusion? It helps us a lot" I would have been happy to oblige. I get water at DL restaurants all the time -- I've done so at least 200-300 times in my life. No one has ever said that it's preferred that I inform CMs. Sometimes they'll glance at my cup and (I presume) can see that it's merely ice water. Do I understand why they might want to know? Of course. Do people here understand why I'd like to be spoken to courteously? I expect basic courtesy and respect at any establishment. At DL the standard is even higher. Indeed, probably the highest, which has helped to make it the platinum standard among amusement parks throughout the world.

I would have reported him to Guest Services but I didn't see his name tag. Later when I went back for a refill, he was no longer there. It was my plan not to tell him that I'd just gotten a refill. If he'd insisted again, I would have explained that "No, I don't have to do anything." I suspect Disney discourages CMs from telling guests what that have to do. Advising guests and explaining park policies politely is more likely what they're trained to do. Again, if he'd been cool and courteous, I would have been happy to oblige. If I do see him again, I'll definitely get his name and inform GS. I suspect I'm not the only one to whom he's been rude.

To be clear, I'm not saying that I can do as I please in the park. What I am saying is that if I've done something wrong, please let me know in the kindest possible terms and I'll be sure not to do it again. Has anyone encountered rude CMs and were they reported? If so, what happened?

I look forward to going to DL again this Sunday where no doubt all of the CMs will be awesome. I'd say that I've encountered rude ones perhaps five times or less. That's a great ratio for any business!

There are some people out there (my husband being one of them) who just don't remember faces. I suspect my husband is on the autism spectrum. We once ran into HIS cousins at the mall, stopped and had a conversation and when we left he asked me who they were:). Just saying - it's possible he has no idea you are a regular, but hopefully he would be courteous no matter what.

I agree. I go far far far less than you but have been going somewhat regularly since 1972.

1972 to 92 at least annually
92 to 98 AP and went at least weekly
98 to 01 annually
01 to 16 bi annual
Last visit was 3.2019

Over the years the quality of CM hires is downhill. Back in the day all CM (CAST MEMBER) were just that. These days a lot could care less if they were a CM at Disneyland or pumping gas at Shell Oil

I have to say I have found the opposite to be true - and I am Canadian! I mean we are somewhat known for being too nice.

I notice cast members from time to time in certain situations when I'd think "man I'd of wanted to clock that guy" but they just take a deep breath and they just let it go, or they word things overly nice which like I said to me even sounds odd. My kids have even noticed it - they will say things like "wow, they seem like they really care when how could they really?"

I have found that to be a bit of a retail/customer service United States thing though - coming from Canada where if you lose your job you are not going to die - you have free health care and lots of social services that allow people to get back on their feet but that is not the situation there - you lose your job and you could be in some serious problems - so perhaps people are just nicer because they do not want to have that happen?

I just find it odd that we have come from DLR with two completely different perspectives.

From time to time I'm in Orange county for my job and sometimes I get a chance I go to Disneyland for an hour or two. Often I just to go to Jolly Holiday or Plaza Inn and get something to sit down for 30 or 40 minutes and watch the world go bye. A few months ago I was in line at Jolly Holiday with about maybe 10 other people at most. Not crowded at all for Disneyland. So after a minute or two a CM came out and started barking at us to pack ourselves together in the line. Like Wonka said, its not what she was saying but how she was saying it. She reminded me of a DMV employee or a police academy instructor. Very un-Disney like to say the least. I sent Disney an email about it to guest services later that day. A day later someone sent me an email back saying they were looking into the matter but I never heard another thing about it. Most CM are decent in my experience but then again I don't expect much from them. Just don't yell or be rude to me is all I really want from them. But Wonka I think you should email guest services about these situations when they come up. If you don't say anything about it, you are condoning the behavior. Although it may not be a big deal to you, it may really ruin someone else's day and if they get away with being @#$% to people, they probably will continue the behavior.

The increase in rude cast members is alarming. It seems to increase each time I go. In December I was loading onto Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and there was a loose water bottle rolling around on the floor. I picked it and tried to hand it to a CM. I nicely said “someone left this water bottle, could you take it so it’s not rolling around in here?” She looked ant me and in the rudest voice said “no, I don’t have a trash can”. It would seem to me that loose items on a roller coaster could present a danger but she didn’t care. Sorry to say I ended up setting it outside the train on the platform and she was really mad. It was really bizarre.

You don't need to see a CM name tag to send in a comment. Describing the location, date, time, giving a description (male? female? glasses? hair color/length/curly? etc.) can be enough. Explain what happened, how you've noticed a change (downward) in CM behavior, and how it has affected your experience as a guest or how you've noticed it affecting other guests. Be as constructive as you can. You know from personal experience that Disney management really does care about things like this. Constructive feedback from guests can be very helpful to them.

There are some people out there (my husband being one of them) who just don't remember faces. I suspect my husband is on the autism spectrum. We once ran into HIS cousins at the mall, stopped and had a conversation and when we left he asked me who they were:). Just saying - it's possible he has no idea you are a regular, but hopefully he would be courteous no matter what.

That’s a possibility I hadn’t even considered. You may be on to something there. I always tend to take (perceived?) personal slights... well, personally. Even though I know intellectually that when people behave poorly, it usually/often isn’t about the person to whom the behavior seems to be directed. Thanks for raising that possibility :-).

You don't need to see a CM name tag to send in a comment. Describing the location, date, time, giving a description (male? female? glasses? hair color/length/curly? etc.) can be enough.
Awesome - thank you! I always presumed this wouldn’t be enough info because they didn’t want a CM to be accused unfairly. I can see how that could happen without a name. But perhaps I’ll try that next time. Good info!

Actually, we were remarking to each other during the last trip how pleasant all the CMs were. Out of the 18 or so years we've been going, we've only had a handful of negative interactions. The positive, kind CMs far outweigh the negative ones. It can be a tough job working in customer service, so I've always been impressed by their cheerfulness.

Actually, we were remarking to each other during the last trip how pleasant all the CMs were. Out of the 18 or so years we've been going, we've only had a handful of negative interactions. The positive, kind CMs far outweigh the negative ones. It can be a tough job working in customer service, so I've always been impressed by their cheerfulness.
Agreed. Most of them are really cool. Especially when you consider that, minimally, approx 10% of guests are nasty towards them. I speak with CMs regularly and they’ll often say that 80% or so are decent, courteous guests. Then there’s 10% that’s kind of uncool. Then there’s the lowest 10% that are outright rude and mean.

I haven’t noticed a huge change myself which is amazing because I have noticed guest in general are a lot more rude and entitled. I have seen guests freak out over the smallest thing and something a cast member has no control over. I can truly say the cast members have always been above and beyond with us. Like super amazing!!!

While I still think most CMs are great, I have experienced this problem with a "need to correct" particularly with the crowd control CMs during parades and shows. They do not give clear instructions, sometimes waving their light wands in such a way that makes no sense, but then when you go the wrong way, they are very quick to pull the chain so to speak. It's like, "oh, you don't know what to do in this chaos?" They either seem annoyed by you or a little gleeful that they "got ya." I know a lot of the locals are used to it and know what to do, but those of us who don't get there as often could at least use clear and polite directions.

I find most of the time CMs to be friendly and polite, i do occasionally come across one who maybe comes of a bit rude, but having spent 4 years working in a similar environment , i always refrain from leaving negative feedback for a one off situation.

if a CM is rude on multiple occasions or says something say offensive, then i would probably leave feedback, but as a one off CM seeming a bit rude i just remember they're human and you don't know what's going on in their day or life, i've seen lovely sweet co works come off rude because they're dealing with a family member in hospital or issues like that, no ones perfect, i'm sure i've come off rude once or twice at the end of a bad day despite always trying to be patient, kind and friendly.

I think that since the majority of the CMs are so good, the grumpy ones just really stand out. Plus, it almost catches us off guard when there is one - making the impact even stronger. There have been a few times where I've been really put off by a mood of a CM. It's customer service. No matter how bad of a day you are having, you need to smile and be polite. Anyone who cannot do that should get a different job.

I read an article one time about what it's like to work at DLR and WDW. There's a saying they have for CMs that is something to the effect of no matter what kind of day you're having, you're having a great day when you're working here. I try to give rude people the benefit of the doubt. CMs are people like the rest of us, who knows what they may be going through that causes that kind of behavior. That doesn't excuse being rude to guests, but it makes it easier for me to take the high road.

Most CMs do a great job putting their best selves forward, and I usually attribute any less-than-pleasant attitudes to one-time hiccups, but if I perceive the behavior to be extremely egregious, then I feel like I have to inform Guest Services.

I once had a CM answer me rather dismissively when I asked them a question, like they couldn't be bothered; worse yet, they turned away to leave before they were done answering me. You better believe that Guest Services heard about it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter