Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that I would never submit to a blood test before flying - I wouldn't resist it, I jus wouldn't fly - I have a ton of tattoos, but have a problem giving blood - makes me queasy and don't want to fly while feeling sick

Please , I would probably get arrested for having to.much Xanax in my system !
It would only be a finger prick. I don't think you have to worry.

Just another friendly reminder that this thread is exclusively for discussing modifications that Disney is considering once it reopens. It’s not a place to discuss risks, vaccines, etc. I understand we all want to discuss these things, but we’ve already been warned by the mods to keep it on topic:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ations-being-considered.3797114/post-61793480
If you want to discuss topics outside of modifications, there is a thread in the Communities board.

The other corona thread in this forum has already been locked. Please, let’s make sure we all do our part to keep this one open.

This doesn't really solve the problem, as the whole point to all this is preventing people from catching something and taking it back to infect someone else in their home area.

So, you can let only young, "healthy" people into the park, but then if they catch something, are asymptomatic, and take it to the airport where they infect someone not so young and healthy....or they go back to Nebraska, and infect an older coworker or grandma and grandpa...then that completely defeats the purpose of not letting high risk groups into the parks.

One thing about only letting non high risk people in the parks is....you can't visually see so many high-risk things....asthmatics or diabetics or someone with a history of cancer. Or maybe they are a smoker. And, I'd really hate to be the CM who is put in charge of visually determining who is "too obese" for entry.

Yeah, this is the one that would be a dealbreaker for me. If Disney closed all indoor attractions/shows, they'd be in deep trouble. They might as well just not open if that was the case.
I didn't say in the slightest bit that it was perfect at all, there is no perfect solution. I specialize in healthcare risk and crisis management, there is no win in this situation for anyone, and I strongly caution anyone from running out immediately after things open back up again. I have had the virus (from a job interview in a hospital over a month ago, and yes, I did was my hands and practice social distancing), and even I am not rushing out for some weeks after restrictions start being lifted. I'm just saying no matter what Disney does it won't be perfect, checking temperatures doesn't catch asymptomatic people or those who are early in the infectious stage. Wearing masks is only helpful if everyone uses them properly, removes them properly, and continues to wear them in all public places which is going to be virtually impossible to maintain in Disney during the summer. I already see people not using gloves and masks properly when I go to Costco, I can only imagine what would happen in a theme park setting. People need to use their own common sense, stay home if sick (even though so many people say "but I've spent so much money on this trip and am not staying home!", they gotta stay home), and realize that Disney can only do so much to help protect everyone and they must do their part to reduce their risk of taking it home and infecting others. Should people go in to a 2 weeks quarantine when returning home from their trip? It's probably smart to do so. We cannot mitigate all risk, we cannot remain completely risk averse, it's just not possible.

I believe a key to reopening safely, besides pharmaceuticals/vaccines that end the pandemic, is going to be to reduce numbers in the parks. How to do this? Reducing ticket sales would control how many people get in. You'd have to look at what you would do about pass holders. Maybe certain days of the week would be for those folks. Then put into place the other things we've been hearing about.

I believe a key to reopening safely, besides pharmaceuticals/vaccines that end the pandemic, is going to be to reduce numbers in the parks. How to do this? Reducing ticket sales would control how many people get in. You'd have to look at what you would do about pass holders. Maybe certain days of the week would be for those folks. Then put into place the other things we've been hearing about.
Len Testa did some math. He seems to think the number to a maintain social distancing for the Magic Kingdom is between 30,000 to 15,000. So if that’s the case how do you get that number? It may just happen organically. I would think no international guests for at least a while that should cut out around 20%. Then you have those who would normally go but are either afraid to travel or can not afford it. But on the other hand you will have at least a few months of worth of cancelled trips many which will reschedule. So that will probably add people to a time they normally would not go. I will be interested to see what they do and if they actually need to do something to limit guests or if just happens organically.

Many countries are requiring exactly that. You meet the prior testing requirements (whatever they are) get testing and sit there until the results are back and either pass/fail or you go home. It would seem there has to be a way to get a test prior to flying that would qualify you and that could be presented to Disney. I Don't see anyway Disney will take on the costs/time and nightmare of testing tens of thousands of people.

Of course since the government can not provide test kits this entire idea is problematic. FL seems quite content to just move forward and it could be warmer air and more sunshine make a difference. Nobody knows yet.
Testing before flights/ after landing/ before entering the parks is not only impractical but inefficient.
Think of everyone and all the surfaces you encounter after these potential testings. What about people who drive into Florida, or live in Florida and drive to the parks or locals who visit often, not to mention all the cm who leave work and then go somewhere else.
Ive mentioned this is other threads, I'm currently working for Florida health department at oia to have passengers coming from hot spots fill out a questionnaire and remind them they need to self isolate for 14 days. We are trusting all these people actually do that, but how many will go grocery shopping or stop to pick up food at a restaurant, put gas...
It boils down to personal responsibility, Disney, the government, wil not take care of you, you have to take care of yourself and your family

Len Testa did some math. He seems to think the number to a maintain social distancing for the Magic Kingdom is between 30,000 to 15,000. So if that’s the case how do you get that number? It may just happen organically. I would think no international guests for at least a while that should cut out around 20%. Then you have those who would normally go but are either afraid to travel or can not afford it. But on the other hand you will have at least a few months of worth of cancelled trips many which will reschedule. So that will probably add people to a time they normally would not go. I will be interested to see what they do and if they actually need to do something to limit guests or if just happens organically.
I definitely feel a certain number of people will not plan a trip until things are more under control. I still think ticket sales would take care of how many people get into the parks. They can limit those. Eliminating international guests at first would help. But annual passes would also have to have a way to use those. They could suspend them for now, but more fairly giving annual pass holders certain days of the week would help...but Disney would have no way of knowing how many of those folks would come. I guess they could just let so many locals in on those days. It would be hard to do. Other ideas anyone?

I definitely feel a certain number of people will not plan a trip until things are more under control. I still think ticket sales would take care of how many people get into the parks. They can limit those. Eliminating international guests at first would help. But annual passes would also have to have a way to use those. They could suspend them for now, but more fairly giving annual pass holders certain days of the week would help...but Disney would have no way of knowing how many of those folks would come. I guess they could just let so many locals in on those days. It would be hard to do. Other ideas anyone?
I stole this off the thread that was shutdown but this was suggested.
Phase 3 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
Those staying at a Disney Resort
Annual Passholders
Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
That they run the parks like they are in a phase 3 closure.

-Opening parks before hotels would be an initial option, to limit guest numbers and worries about spread/required containment outside of parks.

-Much depends on the advancement and availability of testing. We already have non-invasive results in 10 mins. If quicker tests became widely available, you can envision a possible successful measure to allow full scale opening:

-Test at WDW entry
-Retest to enter parks
-Suspension of magical express service.
-Credits (non expiring) given to entire travel group if positive result.

Things would obviously evolve if/when effective vaccines are available - but IMO there must be a very high level of confidence in virus control (beyond masks and hand sanitizer) for crowds to come back. Also - I don't see the crowds rushing back if forced to wear masks all day.

Is Disney trying to push thru an Opening to
Avoid Refunding all the AP’s? Once parks open... with much less to offer for the money, the partial refunds end... hmmm

I’ve been wondering about this as well. What if they re-open with just a park or two open etc. Or with significant restrictions that reduce rides / events / experience - When will they stop the clock to determine refunds / extensions?

I stole this off the thread that was shutdown but this was suggested.
Phase 3 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
Those staying at a Disney Resort
Annual Passholders
Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
That they run the parks like they are in a phase 3 closure.
This is implemented when parks are close to capacity. The first thing for this to work would be to cut down capacity
Currently wdw has about 30k hotel rooms, lets say only 10k are actually occupied once the resort reopens, lets say each room is occupied by 3 people average, that's 30k people and then count about 5k ap holder. Without counting people not staying on site but with reservations , that would be a total of about 40k people visiting the 4 parks a day, that would allow social distancing when walking around and some sort of distancing while in queues, even with these low numbers i expect attractions to have longer wait times because hourly capacity will go down since you simply can't "fill all the available space"
Remember social distancing means groups of xx and then leaving 6ft apart.
This would work, in my opinion

Interesting stuff. I would gladly come to the parks when they open, I'm not terribly worried about "the virus." I go out into the world every day already, including busy retail stores where my products are sold, and we've had record sales to the point we have run out of packaging in some facilities.

Having to wear a mask would be a no-go for me. I know many have the opposite opinion, and that's cool.

Will be very interesting to see how this all nets out.

If WDW wants those kind of numbers, they're going to be resorts only for a while. Resorts can have up to 100,000 guest just on their own, and I don't see a way Disney can deny resort guests the chance to go to the thing they're at the resort for. Historically, MK has about 40 percent of WDW daily attendance, with the other three parks splitting the rest. That might be down a smidge with HS, but only maybe. So if the resorts are at 85 percent, that would have MK at about 34,000 and the other parks at about 17 each.

So if Len is right, and WDW does want realistic social distancing, I think the only way to even come close to doing that is resorts only.

If WDW wants those kind of numbers, they're going to be resorts only for a while. Resorts can have up to 100,000 guest just on their own, and I don't see a way Disney can deny resort guests the chance to go to the thing they're at the resort for. Historically, MK has about 40 percent of WDW daily attendance, with the other three parks splitting the rest. That might be down a smidge with HS, but only maybe. So if the resorts are at 85 percent, that would have MK at about 34,000 and the other parks at about 17 each.

So if Len is right, and WDW does want realistic social distancing, I think the only way to even come close to doing that is resorts only.

Which is why I still believe it will be Florida residents only for a while. Then the resorts will be open at reduced capacity, etc.

That is why I posted 2 alternatives to going that require a test before getting at the airport, or at the airport. If someone has a valid test then it gets them on the flight and that same test gets them into Disney. The risk of a table or surface means you accept that risk or start designing a bubble. If I am reading your post correctly the official position of FL is not only do tables and surfaces not matter the 'word' of people coming from infected areas is accepted and they are not even tested. Is this correct?

In the case of C19 I am not sure yet that 'personal responsibility' will take care of anyone. that is not the history of C19.

I would not accept asking questions and even taking a temperature and self isolating. IMO what FL did is really irresponsible. But in a week or 2 we shall see. Just like WI is now rolling toward the impact of voting in person.

What it boils down to is trusting other people to be responsible and that is completely different risk.

Testing before flights/ after landing/ before entering the parks is not only impractical but inefficient.
Think of everyone and all the surfaces you encounter after these potential testings. What about people who drive into Florida, or live in Florida and drive to the parks or locals who visit often, not to mention all the cm who leave work and then go somewhere else.
Ive mentioned this is other threads, I'm currently working for Florida health department at oia to have passengers coming from hot spots fill out a questionnaire and remind them they need to self isolate for 14 days. We are trusting all these people actually do that, but how many will go grocery shopping or stop to pick up food at a restaurant, put gas...
It boils down to personal responsibility, Disney, the government, wil not take care of you, you have to take care of yourself and your family

Attendance will be reduced organically given the restrictions under which the parks will open, the inevitable recession we're entering, and the fact that many people will stay home because they won't want to risk contracting the virus.

For when it opens, rather than all those "options"...here's the option I would pitch Disney.

100% ID check. Only FL residents enter. Must have FL address on state-issued ID or passport for anyone 18+. That way, FL decision makers are solely responsible for FL. No one is on airlines or driving long distance bringing illness back to their states and countries.

That should be phase one. This is also the group most likely not to mind a subpar or lowered experience, since many will be drive-in candidates and not spending tons on hotels and travel.
I wonder if the only problem with that model is that it may make it uneconomical to open at all. What level of guests do you need in order to offset the staffing costs, running the restaurants, the power usage for the rides, running the various transportation options? Could WDW ever be economically viable based on only admitting folks who live in FL?

I agree that you can't prove where you caught it. I actually just posted that above this reply. However, it would deter people from trying to sue them anyway.
That’s optimistic, given the nature of the personal injury lawyers that I encounter in my ‘normal’ life (I work in insurance claims). 😠

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter