Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

Since this is a rumor thread, I think I can speculate. I don't think they will close the parks in the next week or so. I have been checking room rates to see if I can add a day, and they remain hideously high for next week. I think there are people cancelling, but not enough to make them start reducing prices.

I'm saying that I don't think our situation is necessarily as dire as Italy's current situation. I don't think I mentioned anything about how we need to be handling things, rather just trying to calm some people's fears that we are sentencing our elderly to certain death as some are posting.

Although cancelling all flights in/out of Europe is essentially pointless...but I digress.

The disease is spreading exponentially. If we do nothing we will soon be like Italy in a week. Our health care system will not be able to handle so many people at one time. The point of social distancing is to slow the response so the health care industry has time to accommodate.

It's literally going to be you have corona. Go home and follow standard flu care treatment. Limit contact with others call if something changes. The only people this is a serious concern for are for those in high-risk medical groups. Most of the population will hardly notice a difference between this and a normal flu or cold.

Aloha,

I am at a total loss of the mass panic over the Cornavirus. More people are killed in auto accidents yet we don't stop driving. More people die of smoking related cancer yet smoking remains legal. More people die of illegal drug use yet it is tolerated. Life continued with the Swine Flu and other flu's. Yes, some people get sick. Some worse than others. As we know, most especially from South Korea which has the best stats and medical care of the most affected countries, people most susceptible to serious illness or death are age 70+ with pre-existing conditions. This is NOT like a biblical or Middle Ages plague which wiped out 30% - 50% of the population. The panic is greatly harming our economy and way of life which will affect more of us than the Cornavirus. In time we will reflect and realize just how much we grossly overreacted and freaked out and the unnecessary collateral damage our over reactions caused.

100% accurate, unfortunately given our 24hr news channel system something is always needing to be reporting so situations like this are blown out of proportion because everyone is echoing the same information and it begins to stack. It's basically creating a storm in a tea cup/chicken little the sky is falling situation.

Ok so I heard this morning at a meeting...
Expect a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT from Disney soon. Specifically WDW where I am. From what I’ve heard, they’re closing it down, for up to 45 days. Now this is just a rumor at this point. I have about 3 more meetings to go today and will try to get more information. I do know every one is running around like nuts trying to solidify work contracts. Financials are being pulled, left and right. Purse strings are getting tight! I believe there will still be work for all the big projects right now. They have to stop the crowds. By the way, Space mountain was 150 minutes yesterday, so the crowds haven’t been any lower due to the coronavirus. The parks are still packed! Everyone is getting nervous.

i was thinking the same thing....
per se, once Disney parks overseas come back on line.....

USA Disney parks shutter for up to 60 days.......

gonna be quite an interesting few months -

Expect a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT from Disney soon. Specifically WDW where I am. From what I’ve heard, they’re closing it down, for up to 45 days. Now this is just a rumor at this point. I have about 3 more meetings to go today and will try to get more information. I do know every one is running around like nuts trying to solidify work contracts. Financials are being pulled, left and right. Purse strings are getting tight! I believe there will still be work for all the big projects right now. They have to stop the crowds. By the way, Space mountain was 150 minutes yesterday, so the crowds haven’t been any lower due to the coronavirus. The parks are still packed! Everyone is getting nervous.

I would be more surprised if they didn't at this point.

Probably not best to be posting company information on a message board particularly information that is not certain. Company decisions and policy are not public until the company makes it so. I have 3 relatives, 2 in disney management and 1 at universal. They have told me several things inclusive of contingency plans but none have been formally approved on closures. And nothing I would post publicly. I'd advise you not to post speculation or anything of substance you hear on a public message board. It stirs things up and likely violates your employment contract.

This all assumes everyone gets infected. Personally, given the amount of tested etc I think South Koreas numbers are most accurate at .6% mortality. If we combine that with historic flu infection data of 20-30% of the population we're talking moderate concerns. This virus is only 4x deadlier than the common flu is annually. Our biggest concerns should be like always with elderly, and individuals with compromised immune systems. Those 2 areas have the highest chance of mortality. So nursing homes and hospice Facilities are where we should focus the bulk of or efforts, but reality is even in the best of situations ANY serious outbreak in these type of Facilities tend to have high mortality rates due to the nature of individuals residing within.

SK is higher than .6% right now and slowly growing...you need 2+ weeks from new cases to start to see true mortality...their mortality should end up close to China's reported numbers at the end (but probably be way more accurate)...

Probably not best to be posting company information on a message board particularly information that is not certain. Company decisions and policy are not public until the company makes it so. I have 3 relatives, 2 in disney management and 1 at universal. They have told me several things inclusive of contingency plans but none have been formally approved on closures. And nothing I would post publicly. I'd advise you not to post speculation or anything of substance you hear on a public message board. It stirs things up and likely violates your employment contract.

While I don't disagree with you, I suspect he is correct. As of this morning, no more bookings online. If you try and book a room, it just errors you out. Also, the same rumor is being shared on a couple other very large groups.

While I don't disagree with you, I suspect he is correct. As of this morning, no more bookings online. If you try and book a room, it just errors you out. Also, the same rumor is being shared on a couple other very large groups.
Correct or not, is it worth losing your job over? Let the company make the announcement and not think you are helping by posting info on a message board. Things are released in a specific manner and even at the call center right now they are given specific information to tell people. Anything outside of that is considered a violation of policy. Just saying. Some of us hear things and some have knowledge due to connections to actual info and not just things park CMs hear. The smart thing is NOT to post what you know or hear because A. Things change quickly as policy is changed and B. You arent supposed to be posting it. Rumor is one thing, but shouldnt be perpetuated nor started by Employees. Is it really worth it to lose your job over?

Correct or not, is it worth losing your job over? Let the company make the announcement and not think you are helping by posting info on a message board. Things are released in a specific manner and even at the call center right now they are given specific information to tell people. Anything outside of that is considered a violation of policy. Just saying. Some of us hear things and some have knowledge due to connections to actual info and not just things park CMs hear. The smart thing is NOT to post what you know or hear because A. Things change quickly as policy is changed and B. You arent supposed to be posting it. Rumor is one thing, but shouldnt be perpetuated nor started by Employees. Is it really worth it to lose your job over?

I said I didn't disagree with you 😉

I said I didn't disagree with you 😉
They are starting to waive change/modification fees on reservations. I do know that and that has been made public knowledge as of yesterday. They realized people would start willingly making changes and are allowing them. So thats a positive for people who were concerned about changing dates and such.

They are starting to waive change/modification fees on reservations. I do know that and that has been made public knowledge as of yesterday. They realized people would start willingly making changes and are allowing them. So thats a positive for people who were concerned about changing dates and such.

Yes, I agree, and that's definitely the right thing to do. Even our small resort in New Hampshire, when we contacted them just to confirm policies and the date by which we must cancel, advised us that they are expanding the penalty-free cancellation deadline because of Covid.

At this point -- if the parks do close -- I am guessing people will cancel vacations beyond that timeframe (for many many months or the rest of the year) --- With the amount of loss caused by closing the park for any amount of days, I would expect some serious cost-cutting when it opens back up -- reduced hours, construction halted, reduced capacity or rides being "seasonal" waiting for the crowds to come up.

Even thought is is 90 days away, I feel my vacation in mid-June is now in Jeopardy. (and that's okay, not complaining, just disappointing). Either my son's school will inevitably cancel classes and extend the school year .. or Disney may not be opened back up OR Disney just not in the shape I would want it to be in for a vacation.

My sister-in-law's family that was planning on going this weekend -- are now thinking of cancelling, especially if it doesn't cost them anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter