Rumor: Water Sprites Have Been Eliminated

Why would they crush them instead of selling them somehow?? It just seems extra for no reason
My only guess would be that they did it for a liability reason. Maybe they had made changes in the original design and thus would be responsible if anybody ever became her using them. Other than that I can't think of a reason to destroy them either.

My only guess would be that they did it for a liability reason. Maybe they had made changes in the original design and thus would be responsible if anybody ever became her using them. Other than that I can't think of a reason to destroy them either.
What could they possibly do that would be safe for them to rent them but not sell them?

While I can see that having small boats in areas where boat transportation is running could cause problems, I’m not sure why they couldn’t have them at the Caribbean Beach Resort, or on Hourglass Lake between Pop and Animation.

Funny how we children of the 80s managed to survive it all. In 50 years, there has been only one fatality from the water sprites and it was a 33 year old mother from NY. The teenagers were more at risk at River Country than on the seven seas lagoon.

But I agree with you that liability, cost of safety measures and upkeep are what's going to be the end of the boats.
I would think that the high room prices covered this along with the maint. fees. I loved the sprites, pontoons and parasailing! If I didn't own DVC, I would stay off property now.

What could they possibly do that would be safe for them to rent them but not sell them?
It could be almost anything. While they are on-site it would be covered by Disney insurance but if they sold them and they are out in the wild it would be a whole different story.

On our last Feb trip to the GF, the dock told us that the contract with the company that leased the sprite boats expired (or maybe no longer in business) but they were looking for a new supplier and hope to have them back in the summer. Hopefully they up the horsepower.

On our last Feb trip to the GF, the dock told us that the contract with the company that leased the sprite boats expired (or maybe no longer in business) but they were looking for a new supplier and hope to have them back in the summer. Hopefully they up the horsepower.

I hope that is true.

I wonder if gators/liability issues had anything to do with this?
If it did they would've pulled it after the incident happened initially and wouldn't have waited 5 years. This one is all about financials and honestly I agree with it. If they aren't covering the cost of maintenance and labor it doesn't make sense to keep boats around for rentals.

If it did they would've pulled it after the incident happened initially and wouldn't have waited 5 years. This one is all about financials and honestly I agree with it. If they aren't covering the cost of maintenance and labor it doesn't make sense to keep boats around for rentals.
Do you know how many things they would need to cut resort wide if they used that mentality?

Do you know how many things they would need to cut resort wide if they used that mentality?
They would have to cut a ton. Think about it though and how much as been cut over the years or hasn't come back. If it isn't essential to running the parks that generate money it has to be justified somehow, and if park guests aren't frequenting an attraction/show/facility with enough regularity then it's prime to be eliminated and replaced.

This is really sad. We did the boats every visit, parasailed several times, like to rent bikes if the weather isn’t too hot. The Hyatt Grand Regency is looking better and better for vacations when we don’t use our points.

That would be great! Fingers crossed by July!

It seems at least the pontoon boat rentals are back at this time, but only at Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Yacht & Beach Club Resorts, according to this:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/motorized-boats/

There still might be hope for the sprites, as they still show them in the background. I'd think otherwise they would have taken a new picture.

They cost $45 for 30 min. Anyone can remember how much the sprites were?

Anyways, I might go for those on our stay next month.

Does anyone know what the hours for the pontoon boats are? I don’t see it listed on the info page.

Yeah, I thought it was around that. So the pontoon boats are a great deal, seeing as they hold up to 8 adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter