Rumors that Disney is in negotiations to sell Star Wars back to George Lucas!

Could a company like Apple buy Hulu off of Disney? I know money isn't an issue with Apple and they're really trying to push people to Apple+ with great original content.
That is a possibility especially with Disney's great relationship with Apple.

I'm actually hoping they do something creative with Hulu like go back to the future when all the broadcast networks had their shows on Hulu - roll in Peacock, Paramont+, AMC+ and some of the other legacy networks all in one giant offering that could actually rival Netflix.

So they are lying of the reports they filed with the SEC? Please give us some sources so we can report them to the Government!
That 10.4 was as of March 31, 2023. Maybe they had other debts they paid, I am not sure, just stating what I have heard and read.

That is a possibility especially with Disney's great relationship with Apple.

I'm actually hoping they do something creative with Hulu like go back to the future when all the broadcast networks had their shows on Hulu - roll in Peacock, Paramont+, AMC+ and some of the other legacy networks all in one giant offering that could actually rival Netflix.
If Dinsey was smart they would start investing in original new ideas that match the culture that made Disney so special. Iger has ruined that and will not invest in true Imagineering or creativity. He just buys other people's ideas and then runs them into the ground.

If Dinsey was smart they would start investing in original new ideas that match the culture that made Disney so special. Iger has ruined that and will not invest in true Imagineering or creativity. He just buys other people's ideas and then runs them into the ground.
No argument there - way too many sequels and remakes...maybe the next CEO will get back to the old creativity. We can hope.

No argument there - way too many sequels and remakes...maybe the next CEO will get back to the old creativity. We can hope.

But it's the sequels and remakes that make money. The original projects get ignored by audiences. It's unfortunate, but Disney is only doing what we have taught them that we want.

That 10.4 was as of March 31, 2023. Maybe they had other debts they paid, I am not sure, just stating what I have heard and read.
Timing of cash inflows and outflows could make things look worse at certain points of the quarter but if anything, cash outflows should have slowed greatly with the 4k layoffs and the fact that most movie and TV production has stopped with the writers strike. Cost must be down greatly this quarter, therefore increasing cash on hand. These rumors seem defy that logic.

But it's the sequels and remakes that make money. The original projects get ignored by audiences. It's unfortunate, but Disney is only doing what we have taught them that we want.
Yep and it's even more cat chasing its tail with streaming. Now Disney+ has to keep making content that people will want to stay signed up for. That's going to be some original content but a lot of it will just be more seasons of existing shows.

Last edited:
They used to have a bit of a balance - sequels/remakes along with a few new IP's. I think since Covid studios are even more risk averse than they used to be and are just going with the "sure" things. For decades TV always came up with some new series (that was not related to any previous IP) that caught on in a big way, why can't movies and streaming continue that tradition?

They used to have a bit of a balance - sequels/remakes along with a few new IP's. I think since Covid studios are even more risk averse than they used to be and are just going with the "sure" things. For decades TV always came up with some new series (that was not related to any previous IP) that caught on in a big way, why can't movies and streaming continue that tradition?

They can try, but they are rarely rewarded. The current popular culture ecosystem just doesn't have room for it. Fans get locked into these franchises that they support and they want to consume ALL of the media from it. With that media so readily accessible too, it keeps people focused on just those things. I'm sure an entire deep study could be done as to the reasons for all of that, but that's the current market.

They can try, but they are rarely rewarded. The current popular culture ecosystem just doesn't have room for it. Fans get locked into these franchises that they support and they want to consume ALL of the media from it. With that media so readily accessible too, it keeps people focused on just those things. I'm sure an entire deep study could be done as to the reasons for all of that, but that's the current market.
Unfortunately I guess that's true-in today's world, everyone lives in their own little bubble and gets their entertainment from a little bubble, everything outside my bubbles be damned.

Could be but you can't deny that Disney is in a world of hurt financially. Those facts are known and when a company is between a rock and a hard spot they scramble to stay alive. Iger has run this company into the ground and we are about to see the results of a train wreck that has been his tenure.
Wow - this is so far off reality about the Company's financials.

Did not watch the video, but why would Disney sell Star Wars, then be obligated to pay royalties to whoever they sold it to so they could continue using the licensing and content that is used in not one, but two amusement parks, as well as all the SW content on the D+ channel?

And, go...

you can't deny that Disney is in a world of hurt financially.
I know, they only had $3 billion-with-a-B in earnings in the most recent quarter. How shall they ever survive?

I think you'd see ESPN go way before any IP that has long term benefit to Disney like Star Wars.
I think ESPN is likely more important than that. Live sports is one of the few things that people still watch in real time--meaning, one of the few places where commercials are still something that garners attention.

I know, they only had $3 billion-with-a-B in earnings in the most recent quarter. How shall they ever survive?

I think ESPN is likely more important than that. Live sports is one of the few things that people still watch in real time--meaning, one of the few places where commercials are still something that garners attention.
Very true. But ESPN also is a huge drain as far as what Disney has to pay out, especially in rights fees. Iger said ESPN will need to be more choosey going forward on rights deals. That's why the Pac 12 is kinda out of luck on getting a new deal with ESPN. But Disney is also fighting against falling subscriber numbers. That's why we'll see a standalone ESPN subscription in the next few years. As a cord cutter, I'd be all for it.

What was Disney's last big new franchise. Maybe Frozen in 2013? But that's been a massive cash cow in terms of more content and merchandising.

And with Pixar, the Cars franchise might not get the respect of critics, but it's been a massive merchandising machine.

Lucas is 79 years old. He isn't making movies any more and he certainly doesn't want to get back into Star Wars at his age. Just a rumor from people who somehow think that everything they don't like about the way SW is going will be fixed if Lucas just gets back in the game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter