Rumors that Disney is in negotiations to sell Star Wars back to George Lucas!

I 100% agree that things come and go. Unfortunately for the health of Lucasfilm I believe Star Wars popularity happens to be one of those things that has kinda come and gone.

I mean, it was gone in the late 80's and early 90's too. Then it came back. Then it waned after the Prequels were done. Then it came back. It's been a few years since a movie, so....

I 100% agree that things come and go. Unfortunately for the health of Lucasfilm I believe Star Wars popularity happens to be one of those things that has kinda come and gone.

I mean I looked like an idiot back in the day wearing parachute pants, but at the time what I was wearing was “in” fashion.

According to my kids the young people around my area no longer care at all about Star Wars. My kids have a few friends that will admit to liking SW, but not many. Mine like it ok, as they grew up loving the PT. They don’t really watch any SW content anymore unless they plop down and watch something I have on. Two of mine never finished the ST as they just lost interest and never bothered with it.
I dont what to tell you. Star Wars mech is all over the place.

Ive got sons that are 11 and 12, they're at that age that they probably are not going to wear star wars merch anywhere, let alone play with star wars toys, but when a new movie comes out, they wanna go see it, and so do a lot of their friends.....

i hate to say this, but you seem to be really down on all of the new star wars stuff and you come across as if its a dying brand. I think its far from that. While my sons may not buy star wars merch now, they have in the past, and id bet money once they get out of the middle and high school phase, they will again.

You also have to consider that we havent had a Star Wars movie in a little over 4 years. I think the future of Star Wars is still very bright, there are so many stories that can be told in that universe, and its proven that people will fork out money to see the movies and buy the merch.

Yeah, but Nintendo has had it's ups and downs too - sometimes not doing as well as their competitors. They are solid right now with Switch for sure. They all ride waves of highs and lows.
Solid is an understatement given the Switch is gradually climbing up to beating the PS2 as the highest selling console ever made.

They've had their low point with the Wii U but their cultural relevance is extremely strong with kids and adults alike. It's rare to have a brand with THAT much love and loyalty from people of all ages.

I don't think Star Wars is on that level but it's not doom and gloom. People still care about the franchise.

Barbie was invented in 1959 and is going very strong in 2024. Hardly a year has went by when Barbies were not a mainstay on kid’s Christmas list.

Solid is an understatement given the Switch is gradually climbing up to beating the PS2 as the highest selling console ever made.

They've had their low point with the Wii U but their cultural relevance is extremely strong with kids and adults alike. It's rare to have a brand with THAT much love and loyalty from people of all ages.

I don't think Star Wars is on that level but it's not doom and gloom. People still care about the franchise.

Yeah, but N64/Gamecube didn't do so well. Sony was definitely beating them in the "coolness" factor and sales. The Wii hit back, but U was not too strong. Then again, Game Boy/DS/3DS were pretty unstoppable, as iss Pokemon (though Nintendo doesn't actually own that one. Mario is about as hot as he's ever been at the moment, that's for sure!

i mean, there was just a massive Barbie movie out over the summer. when was the last barbie movie?
Yeah, using a 2023 megahit movie as a baseline for the state of toy sales overall makes no sense. Barbie is an evergreen IP so I'm sure it hasn't had the ups and downs of properties like GI Joe or TMNT in recent years, but the Barbie displays must have exploded in size last summer. With the continued attention to the movie, I expect they'll stay pretty big for a while and then slowly drop down to pre-movie size.

p.s. Where can I buy a Robert J. Oppenheimer action figure???

Last edited:
Chip,

True I don’t like much of what Disney has done to SW. There are some high points though: Mando 1-2, Ahsoka, and Rogue One were all solid. I have lots of hope that Favreau actually gets it and can right the ship with the Mando movie.

Yeah, but N64/Gamecube didn't do so well. Sony was definitely beating them in the "coolness" factor and sales. The Wii hit back, but U was not too strong. Then again, Game Boy/DS/3DS were pretty unstoppable, as iss Pokemon (though Nintendo doesn't actually own that one. Mario is about as hot as he's ever been at the moment, that's for sure!
The DS is the second highest selling console of all time so soon Nintendo will be king of the console market in terms of sales.

Okay if you want to talk about actual brand degradation look no further than the Pokemon games. Star Wars looks like Mozart compared to how their latest entries have looked but I digress.

True I don’t like much of what Disney has done to SW. There are some high points though: Mando 1-2, Ahsoka, and Rogue One were all solid. I have lots of hope that Favreau actually gets it and can right the ship with the Mando movie.
Here's my take, i'm glad disney bought the franchise, i'm not so sure how much Lucas would have done with the brand, and lets be honest, the prequal trilogy wasnt all that and a bag of chips. but what disney has done, has brought a younger generation of fans into the Star Wars family, and in my eyes, thats a great thing.

Yeah, using a 2023 megahit movie as a baseline for the state of toy sales overall makes no sense. Barbie is an evergreen IP so I'm sure it hasn't had the ups and downs of properties like GI Joe or TMNT in recent years, but the Barbie displays must have exploded in size last summer. With the continued attention to the movie, I expect they'll stay pretty big for a while and then slowly drop down to pre-movie size.

p.s. Where can I buy Robert J. Oppenheimer action figure???

Yeah, it's not like Barbie has never seen declines. For a while there a lot of people wer edumping on Barbie for her female standards, etc. and sales definitely declined. Yeah, it has been a solid performer, just like Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, etc.

I mean I’m getting whiplash on here today! For months I have berated and told that Star Wars is stronger than ever and Disney is a Godsend. Then today it’s well these things all have an ebbs and flows and when they release another movie it will be hot again?

How can both be true?

I mean I’m getting whiplash on here today! For months I have berated and told that Star Wars is stronger than ever and Disney is a Godsend. Then today it’s well these things all have an ebbs and flows and when they release another movie it will be hot again?

How can both be true?

Why is everything always all or nothing with you? Why the hyperbole? This is why it's hard to discuss things with you.

Last edited:

How can both be true?
let's be honest, to me, it comes across as if you believe the Star Wars franchise is headed down the path of Sears. It's just simply not, its a flourishing brand.

Talking about movies exclusively, Harry Potter is in a worse spot than Star Wars. The last Fantastic Beasts movie was so bad Warner Bros. cancelled any future projects in that universe and are doing a TV show on Max now.

I don’t think it is dying, but I do think it is hurting though.

The last several series really didn’t gain a mass audience or really trend with the general public.

I do agree they are one big hit away from reviving it somewhat though. I am glad to see they are prioritizing the Favreau movie as this is the best shot to have a legitimate hit in the theaters.

Talking about movies exclusively, Harry Potter is in a worse spot than Star Wars. The last Fantastic Beasts movie was so bad Warner Bros. cancelled any future projects in that universe and are doing a TV show on Max now.
Agreed, but the Hogwarts legacy game has sold over 22 million copies and over a billion dollars in sales. Seems like Harry Potter is still very much in demand to me.

Last edited:
yeah right... no one is buying Star Wars toys... certainly no one wants that ugly little Grogu in any way shape or form LOL

Our Christmas (for the most part all spread between my husband and daughter aged 22)

Loungefly backpack- Star Wars
Lego-Star wars BrickHeadz-Ahsoka
Lego-Star wars BrickHeadz-Din and Grogu
Mission Fleet-Bad Batch
Mission Fleet-Bo-Katan
Mission Fleet-Bad Batch (Tech AT-rt)
Mission Fleet-Din on Blurg
Tervis Tumbler with Din and Bantha (me)
Black Series Aayla Secura
Lego Ahsoka CLone Wars troopers

The Disney+ stuff has been merch gold... you could have not designed a better merchandising hook than sweet lil Baby Yoda.

In my house alone.... We have the animatronic Grogu, we also have the plush version, we have the shoulder sitter too (it is so cute mom), we have two Loungefly backpacks that are Grogu...never mind clothing.

My daughter turned her animatronic Grogu into Sith Grogu and sewed him a set of sith robes. Grogu is a goldmine
We have so much Grogu stuff - 2 different remote controls, stuffies, statue, ornaments, shirts. I went through my closet a few days ago and got rid of a Grogu Christmas sweatshirt. My husband stopped me and asked me if I was feeling okay because I was getting rid of Star Wars merch! (Typing as I’m wearing an Anakin Skywalker Clone Wars armor sweatshirt.)

Agreed but the Hogwarts legacy game has sold over 22 million copies and over a billion dollars in sales. Seems like Harry Potter is still very much in demand to me.
That's why I said the movies. I mean, the last Fantastic Beasts movie didn't have any actual Fantastic Beasts in it. At least the Last Jedi HAD Jedis in it.

That's why I said the movies. I mean, the last Fantastic Beasts movie didn't have any actual Fantastic Beasts in it. At least the Last Jedi HAD Jedis in it.
Well compare the video game sales on Harry Potter and Star Wars and HP will be the big winner.

A franchise is everything: the toys, the books, the shirts, the merchandise in the parks, the video games, and yes the movies.

I don’t think you can cherry pick one section of an IP to declare a victor. For example the Wizarding World is considered by many to be significantly better done attractions than galaxies edge.

Well compare the video game sales on Harry Potter and Star Wars and HP will be the big winner.

A franchise is everything: the toys, the books, the shirts, the merchandise in the parks, the video games, and yes the movies.

I don’t think you can cherry pick one section of an IP to declare a victor. For example the Wizarding World is considered by many to be significantly better done attractions than galaxies edge.
To your bolded point, I'm one of those people. Wizarding World is awesome.

We can go in circles all day but it's not worth it. Star Wars is lucky they didn't make a movie as bad as Crimes of Grindelwald.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter