runDisney Announcement

Wine & Dine will now be during Jersey Week :( and coinciding with the last weekend of Food & Wine Festival. I've been there many times for Jersey week (don't go anymore due to crowds). If you thought it was hectic or crowded for opening of Food & Wine....then be prepared for much higher crowd levels at every park. Plus some folks get off for Veterans Day so just add that to the mix. Poor planning or maybe brilliant marketing on Disney's part but either way I am VERY disappointed and have made the decision to not do either race. Prices are always higher around Jersey Week for lodging not to mention the difficulty in obtaining DVC ressies if not done VERY early on. I find this announcement to be anything but a gift. bah humbug! :confused3

We were there at that time this year (Nov. 10-17th) and you are so right! Friday and Saturday were just super crowded, especially at Epcot. We went Saturday afternoon and actually left after about an hour because you seriously couldn't even walk in the World Showcase. We ended up eating hot dogs because all the lines for the kiosks were insane :rotfl2:

I'm gonna chime in and say this is extremely disappointing. The Wine and Dine at the opening of the weekend just fit. That was going to be the start of our trip and I was going to be able to relax the rest of the trip. Now, if I go during the festival, I'm going to have to watch what I eat all week and experience the "running jitters" all week before the race. It's either that, or miss the festival. Either way, it just doesn't work for us now. I'm not enticed by a 10 mile race at all, especially not one centered around the studios. The whole reason I had started training was for the wine and dine. I'm still planning to continue but now I have my sights set on the St. Jude Half, right here in Memphis. I was going to do it anyway, but the wine and dine was really my main motivation. So bummed!

We were there at that time this year (Nov. 10-17th) and you are so right! Friday and Saturday were just super crowded, especially at Epcot. We went Saturday afternoon and actually left after about an hour because you seriously couldn't even walk in the World Showcase. We ended up eating hot dogs because all the lines for the kiosks were insane :rotfl2:

I am so worried about the crowds and lack of room discounts during this time frame but the dates work so well for my birthday! I am seriously thinking about running this, if I decide to run this I am going to do the DL half too and get the C2C medal. I am also considering possibly doing the ToT 10 but making that a short trip. Man in that three month period I am going to rack up some serious frequent flier miles!

I am so worried about the crowds and lack of room discounts during this time frame but the dates work so well for my birthday! I am seriously thinking about running this, if I decide to run this I am going to do the DL half too and get the C2C medal. I am also considering possibly doing the ToT 10 but making that a short trip. Man in that three month period I am going to rack up some serious frequent flier miles!

If you can arrive just before the marathon and then stay for a few days after, the crowds lightened up a TON after Jersey Week was over. We were there Thurs-Thurs and once the weekend was over, we didn't wait long for anything!

Stop the insanity!!! I like thed Expedition Everst Challenge time of yr and they changed that, Now I ran in the Wine and dine this yr and now they change that too! The only running I'll be doing is around in circles trying to figure out if they will ever have races when I go again. :confused3

I'm actually pretty excited about the announcement. DH and I had planned to do the F&W half to celebrate our 20th anniversary, but this way we have two races to choose from. That's nice for us, because then we can look at DD's cross country schedule and see when would be better for us to be away. I think the ToT race sounds like a lot of fun, so I'll be very happy either way.

Neither race works for me. But I do have a question about the Jersey Week crowds. Is Jersey week always around Nov. 10-17? Also, is Universal just as crowded as WDW? I'm thinking of going down in Nov., but could go to Universal first and hit WDW after Jersey week ends.

Jersey week is always the same week as Election day as schools are closed for teachers convention inNJ that week.

Jersey week makes no sense to me either. I thought. They put races durian slower periods to drum up business? We got married at WDW on Nov. 9 in 1999 and that is not a real slow time to be there.

Not too excited about a ToT 10 miler either. Seems like Disney saved me some $$$.

From a coach's perspective, running a 10 miler the last weekend of September and a half in November makes a lot of sense; as opposed to the opposite way. I really like a 10 mile race distance. It is becoming a little more popular over the last few years.

I do think the announcement coming within the DVC planning window stinks a little but you take a risk of a race date changing anytime you make reservations prior to entering. I really feel for those who have to borrow points for their reservation this far out as they are kind of stuck on keeping this weekend, especially if they are not quick to grab a room when the new window opens.

So am I going?... I dunno. I do not really like traveling for races less than full, but will if I see a cool hook. I want to look at the course. If Disney tries to make up the additional 2 miles inside DHS, then definitely no. I am not a fan of running lots of tight corners. I may be a unique person here, but I actually like the sections of the races between the parks as much as I like being in the parks. I find the quiet solitude comforting and it allows me to calm down and push a little harder.

I am really thinking about adding a large number of states to my marathon list and thought I may try this year. This may help me with my decision.

My first thought when I heard the news of this new race is - OMG, the heat and humidity. :crazy2: 10 miles is better in the heat than 13 but still.....

I wish Disney would have a race when all the holiday lights are up. This is my favorite time to visit.

For those upset about the date change for W & D, I am curious...
Is it because the ToT is only 10 miles, or you really wanted to do W & D? I am just wondering why people who plan to go that weekend are not happy with ToT.

I am planning to do both, but for me, they will both probably be trips where I go down, run, and come back home. I will vacation down there some other time. I can drive to Disney though, so that helps.

For me it's a little of both. The Wine and Dine was going to be my first half. I can't go the weekend they moved it to. I would be less disappointed had they made the TOT a half because I could still say I ran my first half at Disney. I'm not sure I can get excited over 10 miles. Plus, the Wine and Dine just fit me. We always go for the opening weekend of the festival, and we love Epcot so much more than the Studios.

It was probably a pipe dream at best for me do the original W&D date anyways, but yeah, the difference between 10 miles and a half kinda killed it for me, too. Fall races are tricky for me, because I've been tied up in marathon training for the past 2 years and I don't see that changing anytime in the foreseeable future (fingers crossed!) Next year I'm planning on running the new york marathon again

A half is just much easier to work with during marathon training than 10 miles. After maybe like the first week, I don't think I saw a 10 mile long run on my schedule until the taper. I did a few 13 mile runs after my 20s, so W&D would fit in nicely as a cutback. Or if my schedule worked out where I absolutely had to make it a longer run, it's much easier to tack on a few extra miles rather than 6-8.

Plus I like the W&D theme much better, but I'm a huge food/wine person. I could very happily eat and drink my way around Epcot until 3 am, but really no sure what there is to do in Hollywood Studios for that long.

Is it because the ToT is only 10 miles, or you really wanted to do W & D? I am just wondering why people who plan to go that weekend are not happy with ToT.

I am planning to do both, but for me, they will both probably be trips where I go down, run, and come back home. I will vacation down there some other time. I can drive to Disney though, so that helps.

Jersey week...

How many people can you put up? Because for those of us who don't already have a room.. We probably aren't going to get one. If we do get one... It's going to cost us an arm and a leg.. Then we won't be able to run.

For me it's a little of both. The Wine and Dine was going to be my first half. I can't go the weekend they moved it to. I would be less disappointed had they made the TOT a half because I could still say I ran my first half at Disney. I'm not sure I can get excited over 10 miles. Plus, the Wine and Dine just fit me. We always go for the opening weekend of the festival, and we love Epcot so much more than the Studios.

I was going to make the Princess Half my first half marathon. But training had been going well, so I decided to run another half before the Princess as a learning experience. That way I could be better prepared and work out any problems before I ran the Princess half. It did not make running the princess any less special. I would do the same before I run the full marathon at Disney, but I am afraid I may only have one full marathon in me and want it to be the Disney race!

I'm intrigued for the ToT 10 miler and will most likely run it- I won't be running Wine n Dine again (really disliked it for a multitude of reasons) so it puts a fall race on the list (still debating DLR)

I also wonder if W & D got moved due to Epcot's 30th the next day (not that I think they'll do much...)

-em

I'm intrigued for the ToT 10 miler and will most likely run it- I won't be running Wine n Dine again (really disliked it for a multitude of reasons) so it puts a fall race on the list (still debating DLR)

I also wonder if W & D got moved due to Epcot's 30th the next day (not that I think they'll do much...)

-em

The food and wine is my favorite race. I have run it both years. What were some of your dislikes? Many don't like running at night... Yet you said you would do the ToT.. If you already bloged about it.. just point me to the blog..

Not sure what we will be doing. WnD is a favorite time to go to WDW for my DH. I did not have a positive WnD relay event. I liked the ToT relay event.

I guess for me/us it will depend on cut-off timing and vaca logistics. We are planning on a BIG January 2013 event trip and saving for that as well. First thing DH asked was what the cut-off event time would be.

There are many who have negative thoughts, and there are many who have positive thoughts. WISHing that whoever gets to go that the experience is a great one.

I'm not interested in traveling 3000 miles to run a 10 miler.

The Food and Wine festival is my favorite event, of any Disney park, and I was stoked to do it. I got my Coast to Coast last year, and planned on W&D being my FL race to get it again next year. Since they announced the dates in the WDW program, I (apparently foolishly) assumed the dates were.... set.

November is a hard time of year for me to get time off - late September would have been ideal.

And, entirely selfishly, I was really hoping for another Disneyland race. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter